Duke4.net Forums: Duke 3d Enemy and Character Sprite Variants - Duke4.net Forums

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3d Enemy and Character Sprite Variants  "Sprite variants I drew for fun"

I had a feeling someone would ask about Bombshell sooner or later. Maybe. I'm working on a free walking babe using a 3d girl that can used as a NPC in levels. It's rather hard trying to get the lighting and body proportions to match those of the girls in game, but I'm making progress. Maybe after I figure out the 3d girl, I can dress her up as Bombshell. I like the first image better [of course I do!]. Maybe she can also be used as a skin replacement for Duke on certain mods. I'll probably copy Duke's sprite poses initially.

Just so I get my facts straight, she was supposed to be Duke's sidekick but never made it into any games?

Probably because Duke is portrayed as one of the greatest (if not the greatest) womanizer of the planet, it would have seemed rather paradoxical have a sexy female sidechick with whom he has only work relations.

BTW there was this Bombshell sheet around, maybe you can get something out of it.

Posted Image

User is offline   Loke 

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 26 January 2018 - 05:02 PM, said:

Just so I get my facts straight, she was supposed to be Duke's sidekick but never made it into any games?

She was originally in Duke Nukem Forever both as an NPC and as a playable character but was later cut before the final release.

View PostLoke, on 26 January 2018 - 05:55 PM, said:

She was originally in Duke Nukem Forever both as an NPC and as a playable character but was later cut before the final release.

And then 3D Realms retained the license to Bombshell to give her a game of her own (a reskin of the aborted Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction game, at that), but that one didn't exactly set the world on fire, so....yeah.

I'm working on Bombshell using my 3d girl as base and she's looking pretty good so far. I'm giving her all the animations of Duke for now. But that leaves me to debate whether to slap a jetpack on her back or not. Also her sprite is bigger than the usual enemies because I want my girls to look better in game. :dukecigar:
Attached Image: bombshell0000.jpg

Duke Forever style Battlelord:
Attached Image: battlelord3.png

And and quick one eyed Octabrain:
Attached Image: octabrain3.png

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 28 January 2018 - 08:15 AM, said:

I'm working on Bombshell using my 3d girl as base and she's looking pretty good so far. I'm giving her all the animations of Duke for now. But that leaves me to debate whether to slap a jetpack on her back or not. Also her sprite is bigger than the usual enemies because I want my girls to look better in game. :dukecigar:
Attachment bombshell0000.jpg

Duke Forever style Battlelord:
Attachment battlelord3.png

And and quick one eyed Octabrain:
Attachment octabrain3.png

Impressive as always---and the Bombshell preview sprite looks positively stunning! Every post of yours keeps me in suspense and waiting for the next one....keep up the awesome work!

User is offline   stumppy84 

Man, you are a machine!! So awesome!!

User is offline   jet_nick 

Seba for bombshell can you Give her animations like Duke nukem player sprites? So we can use her for an alternative skin

Without change the audio and HUD sprites It remains just an idea. Except if you want to play as a transexual :dukecigar:.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 28 January 2018 - 10:07 AM

View Postjet_nick, on 28 January 2018 - 09:15 AM, said:

Seba for bombshell can you Give her animations like Duke nukem player sprites? So we can use her for an alternative skin

I already said I was.

I'm giving her all the animations of Duke for now.

User is offline   darkcaleb 

Hey sebabdukeboss20, I know your very busy and all. I wanted to request something if it´s possible? If you have time left at hand of course could you able to make cycloid emperor from Duke Nukem Zero Hour.

View Postdarkcaleb, on 28 January 2018 - 11:02 AM, said:

Hey sebabdukeboss20, I know your very busy and all. I wanted to request something if it´s possible? If you have time left at hand of course could you able to make cycloid emperor from Duke Nukem Zero Hour.

So a flying cycloid? Looks cool.

http://www.nintendo6...zine-121-26.jpg

Zero was a cool final boss https://vignette.wik...=20101222205326

Thanks to Trooper Dan and Jblade, the Bad Pigcop Boss is alive!

https://forums.duke4...uke32-projects/

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 28 January 2018 - 08:59 PM

Liz Trooper Elite
Attached Image: liztrooper6elite.png
Overlord Crotch Turret
Attached Image: overlord1.png

User is offline   Lunick 

That Overlord is really good

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I like both of them, they are high quality work -- but I don't know if I would actually use them. With liztroop especially it seems like we have a lot of variants now where he has a helmet and a different gun, but nothing that would significantly change how the enemy plays. I am going to speak from selfish interest here, so don't take this as a criticism. Jet_nick did one of those liztroop edits which I added to my Attrition mod a while back, and it adds spice but it's a lot of trouble to keep adding lots more tiles to the game for what is basically the same enemy. Projectile art for the new weapon is never included, either, so in a mod like Attrition where I have lot of variants already, it's hard for me to figure out how to make them unique.

What I would like to see for once is a liztroop edit where he has armor covering his arms and legs, as well as a new gun (one of the existing new guns such as the one in the edit above would be fine). Also a melee attack would be cool. With those additions it would feel like a truly elite version and I would have inspiration to give him some new personality instead of just slapping on a new projectile.

I understand what you're saying. And that's totally fine. I originally started making these sprites because I was inspired after playing Doom Project Brutality where the enemies have several variants and are slightly different from each other in looks and firepower. I thought it would be neat one day for someone to have a mod with a variety of enemies so they're not always shooting at the same enemy a hundred times. But after figuring out how to make sprites through 3d and liking the results, I started exploring more unique enemies to make like the pig cop boss.

I never imagined I would have made something like unique enemies and bosses, but I'm really glad I did. I got a few more unique enemies coming up, mostly inspired by Duke 3d and Forever concept art. If only I knew how to code and make mods would I try things like this, but I don't. I'm happy just drawing them up and give resources for someone to use in the future.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I'm thinking about the cyber enforcer that I'm going to code soon. The turd mines could be problematic. There is the potential for the mines being too easy to avoid and/or being a liability for the cyber enforcer because you might be able to kite him over the mines, or they might kill other enemies. Also the mine laying animation should last for a couple of seconds, during which he will be vulnerable.

For the miniboss version, I would probably want to limit the number of mines that an enforcer could lay to about 3, and have him do it only when the player is far away --but still in line of sight-- or is non-aggro for some reason.

For the big boss version, I'm wondering if he could lay a big metallic egg instead, and a regular enforcer could hatch from it. Alternatively, he could lay an enforcer directly, similar to how the queen lays protector drones. I know this is kind of silly, but there is precedent for it and it would be a cool way to put adds into the boss fight. The main problem I can see is that enforcers are a hitscan enemy, which makes them super dangerous if a lot of them are around. At least protector drones can be dodged. Thoughts?

User is offline   Jblade 

A fully armoured liz troop would be very useful yeah - as Dan said the variants are cool (and I plan to use them for whenever I pick up Nuclear Showdown again to replace the pal variants) but having a proper 'elite' version with armour and stuff that is quite different would be perfect. I actually spliced my Nuclear Showdown Spec Ops cops with your AA-12 helmet variant, I should post the artwork here at some point since I'm sure it would also be useful.

For the big boss version, I'm wondering if he could lay a big metallic egg instead, and a regular enforcer could hatch from it. Alternatively, he could lay an enforcer directly, similar to how the queen lays protector drones. I know this is kind of silly, but there is precedent for it and it would be a cool way to put adds into the boss fight. The main problem I can see is that enforcers are a hitscan enemy, which makes them super dangerous if a lot of them are around. At least protector drones can be dodged. Thoughts?

I think that's a bit too goofy, even for Duke - maybe just have the big boss lay the mines? Either that or have it crap out sentry drones (weak mini variants possibly)

View PostJblade, on 31 January 2018 - 02:49 AM, said:

A fully armoured liz troop would be very useful yeah - as Dan said the variants are cool (and I plan to use them for whenever I pick up Nuclear Showdown again to replace the pal variants) but having a proper 'elite' version with armour and stuff that is quite different would be perfect. I actually spliced my Nuclear Showdown Spec Ops cops with your AA-12 helmet variant, I should post the artwork here at some point since I'm sure it would also be useful.

I think that's a bit too goofy, even for Duke - maybe just have the big boss lay the mines? Either that or have it crap out sentry drones (weak mini variants possibly)

Posted Image

those variant of Pig cop (with exposed torso, maybe with duke shotgun), and the lizard captain armored, it would be great to see them.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 30 January 2018 - 11:59 PM, said:

I'm thinking about the cyber enforcer that I'm going to code soon. The turd mines could be problematic. There is the potential for the mines being too easy to avoid and/or being a liability for the cyber enforcer because you might be able to kite him over the mines, or they might kill other enemies. Also the mine laying animation should last for a couple of seconds, during which he will be vulnerable.

For the miniboss version, I would probably want to limit the number of mines that an enforcer could lay to about 3, and have him do it only when the player is far away --but still in line of sight-- or is non-aggro for some reason.

I see how mines can be problematic. One simple solution is the pooping animation isn't used. I like the idea of if maybe pooping an egg with a minion, but I'd rather it not be a mini cyber enforcer but something original like a 4 legged robot sentry. Picturing a smaller scaled cyber enforcer with a big cyber enforcer undermines the boss IMO. I'll try to think of something.

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 30 January 2018 - 07:18 PM, said:

I understand what you're saying. And that's totally fine. I originally started making these sprites because I was inspired after playing Doom Project Brutality where the enemies have several variants and are slightly different from each other in looks and firepower. I thought it would be neat one day for someone to have a mod with a variety of enemies so they're not always shooting at the same enemy a hundred times. But after figuring out how to make sprites through 3d and liking the results, I started exploring more unique enemies to make like the pig cop boss.

I never imagined I would have made something like unique enemies and bosses, but I'm really glad I did. I got a few more unique enemies coming up, mostly inspired by Duke 3d and Forever concept art. If only I knew how to code and make mods would I try things like this, but I don't. I'm happy just drawing them up and give resources for someone to use in the future.

I take the middle road in this---using every single variant enemy would be a hassle and a half, but it's a great thing to have if you want to throw in a new enemy that isn't just a palette swap with a new firing effect (not that there's anything wrong with that....).

My dream project would be to put together a "bible" of Duke3D variant enemies, with flavor text and descriptions of how they attack (or how they would attack if they were implemented), all in one big PDF file (granted, this idea is partially inspired by the descriptions of enemies in the Bestiary over at Realm667, but still).

Great work with the crotch turret Overlord and the Elite Trooper.....it's amazing to see how concept art and unused versions of enemies can be realized in sprite form.

I think I'll use this as the Cyber Enforcer's "poop."
http://duke4ever.alt...fzd_duke_53.jpg

I'm also thinking about making a beefier pig cop enemy with riot/power armor. I might use a terran marine as a base model. What kind of weapon should it wield?
http://duke4ever.alt...hot_2007_07.jpg

User is offline   darkcaleb 

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 31 January 2018 - 07:24 AM, said:

I'm also thinking about making a beefier pig cop enemy with riot/power armor. I might use a terran marine as a base model. What kind of weapon should it wield?

The pig cop would suit a riot gun from shadow warrior maybe or a new kind of a shotgun... :dukecigar: o yeah there could be 2 variables like one would attack with a weapon and the other would try to gut you open like in DNF!

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 31 January 2018 - 07:24 AM, said:

you can try to add this shotgun on pig cop

http://dukenukem.wik...ki/Shotgun_(DNF)

View Postjet_nick, on 31 January 2018 - 09:00 AM, said:

you can try to add this shotgun on pig cop

http://dukenukem.wik...ki/Shotgun_(DNF)

Link is dead?

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 31 January 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

Link is dead?

https://vignette.wik...=20120520022614

Here's an EDF mech I was working on. Originally it had a yellow visor but I realized it looked too much like Halo. Currently, I'm not satisfied with the way it looks. Not sure if it's the color or if I need more detail to make it more Duke 3d styled. Thoughts? I envision it as either an ally that can help Duke or even an enemy if it's controlled by bad guys.

Attached Image: edfmechsample.jpg

This post has been edited by sebabdukeboss20: 31 January 2018 - 08:27 PM

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options