Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Duke Forces -- THE Star Wars mod for EDuke32 - Duke4.net Forums

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Forces -- THE Star Wars mod for EDuke32

User is offline   Mark 

I was going to say look it up on Wiki as a joke. It seems someone has gone thru a lot of effort to give them a backround. No mention of blood.
https://bloodandhono.../wiki/Gamorrean

According this SW novel , Gammorreans blood seems to be black.

https://books.google...20blood&f=false

Anyway, it would be more coherent use the gamorreans inside a third faction composed by the crime syndicate.

Speaking of enemies, I would even add the Kell Dragon, with also a smaller variant.

Did you and Seb find a replacement for the not SW brain/mouth creature that replaces protozoids? I may have one...

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFantinaikos, on 24 April 2019 - 04:58 AM, said:

Anyway, it would be more coherent use the gamorreans inside a third faction composed by the crime syndicate.

This is a small update. No factions. Gamorreans were in Dark Forces. I have the sprites. I want another melee enemy instead of just using those terminator like phase one dark troopers, so it's gonna be gamorreans.

View PostMark, on 24 April 2019 - 02:56 AM, said:

I was going to say look it up on Wiki as a joke. It seems someone has gone thru a lot of effort to give them a backround. No mention of blood.
https://bloodandhono.../wiki/Gamorrean

Yeah and I actually checked wookiepedia believe it or not. Black blood as Fantinaikos mentioned won't look good in game, it's gotta be either red or green. Also while sources do not need to be Disney canon, I think that some random novel hardly anyone read is too obscure to be binding. If it had been in a comic like the series published by Marvel back in the 70's and 80's, that would be better.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 24 April 2019 - 10:32 AM

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostTrooper Dan, on 24 April 2019 - 10:14 AM, said:

This is a small update. No factions. Gamorreans were in Dark Forces. I have the sprites. I want another melee enemy instead of just using those terminator like phase one dark troopers, so it's gonna be gamorreans.

Yeah and I actually checked wookiepedia believe it or not. Black blood as Fantinaikos mentioned won't look good in game, it's gotta be either red or green. Also while sources do not need to be Disney canon, I think that some random novel hardly anyone read is too obscure to be binding. If it had been in a comic like the series published by Marvel back in the 70's and 80's, that would be better.

Red is the way to go.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, since they have green skin anyway it'd just camouflage right in and would be pointless otherwise (green blood).

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Are those the upscaled sprites I sent you? <_<

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPhredreeke, on 30 April 2019 - 03:12 AM, said:

Are those the upscaled sprites I sent you? <_<

Yes.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I'll be releasing version 2.1 officially in a few days. But I'm providing an early download link to duke4.net members:

https://www.dropbox....ces210.zip?dl=0

Changes:

-new improved sprites for Sith
-Gamorrean enemy added
-new SW themed babe sprites for strippers etc
-miscellaneous minor graphical effect improvements
-upscaled sprites for most enemies
-new map "shocking twist" replaces "west wuz won"
-balance changes: player shield amounts reduced, but also health amounts of most enemies. Shotgun uses more ammo. Weapon zoom snappier.

The new art is by sebabdukeboss20, and and upscales were done by phredreeke

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Update is now officially released and I posted a little article on Mod DB:

https://www.moddb.co...sion-210-update

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

https://www.pcgamer....as-been-updated

I credit the existence of this mini-article on PC Gamer to sebabdukeboss20's awesome new poster, which made a nice thumbnail image for it. EDIT: er... and to that fact that the author at PC Gamer decided to write said article!

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 05 May 2019 - 01:20 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I was just about to post that. I saw it on my feed this morning. Congrats gentlemen.

I don't know about the version on moddb so ignore this if it has changed in this regard but... can has credit?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPhredreeke, on 06 May 2019 - 05:25 AM, said:

I don't know about the version on moddb so ignore this if it has changed in this regard but... can has credit?

I wiill push another little update later this week and add you to the menu screen credits.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

I'm a rather big fan of the original Dark Forces game and for this reason I've been generally sceptical about Dark Forces-themed mods for other shooters. However I tried Duke Forces out a few days ago, and I must say that this is an excellently done project. Duke seamlessly fits into the Star Wars universe, all art is of very high quality, and the new mechanics like the lightsabre and Force powers are all implemented in a very elegant and natural way. Needless to say that this mod surpasses in quality anything that could've been conceived and created back in the mid-90. I'm quite delighted that mods and TCs of this level are being created and have a solid foundation both in the open source eDuke32 engine and the natural talents of their authors.

Some of the sprites I upscaled for this mod

Posted Image

Found this interesting opinion on a foreign site where the mod was presented:

Bah, they are simply models and assets stolen from dark forces, duke, blood, battlefront, nothing is original. There are mods made infinitely better.

Evidently the idiot ignores the concept of transformative content (including the parts that are made exclusively for the mod) and in his fucking head is equating Dark Forces to Grezzo 2. Also, create a thing totally from zero when an already existing resource it's exactly as you want and it can fulfill the purpose, is just time wasting.

User is offline   Mark 

That dumbass probably thinks the ripped sprites come with their own code too and has no idea what it takes to get those assets running in another engine.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMrFlibble, on 11 May 2019 - 02:04 AM, said:

I'm a rather big fan of the original Dark Forces game and for this reason I've been generally sceptical about Dark Forces-themed mods for other shooters. However I tried Duke Forces out a few days ago, and I must say that this is an excellently done project. Duke seamlessly fits into the Star Wars universe, all art is of very high quality, and the new mechanics like the lightsabre and Force powers are all implemented in a very elegant and natural way.

Thank you, from myself and on behalf of everyone else who contributed to this project.

I think the scattered negative reactions are mostly due to people not understanding what the mod was trying to achieve. In the absence of having a team of artists and level designers, any project I start is going to consist of me gathering (i.e. stealing) resources, writing a lot of code to create gameplay and whatnot, then packaging it all together. That was largely the case here, even though the project received some very welcome boosts from other Duke modders (notably sebabdukeboss20 and Predreeke in this latest release).

The thing that I enjoy most about modding is creating gameplay through code, and that's done by coding enemies, weapons, player abilities and other gameplay mechanics. I'm glad to hear that the light saber and force powers are well implemented. I wanted these to be satisfying and well-integrated into the game, while at the same time being balanced with the guns. The player has to recharge force powers with gun kills, so can't rely on force choke/push all the time, and the light saber has limited ammo. So, yeah, while the cosmetics are important, it's the gameplay that motivates me. If I'm succeeding on that front, then it's a win.

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View PostPhredreeke, on 13 May 2019 - 02:28 AM, said:

Posted Image
This face doesn't look very good. The nose seems to be too sharp, and the hat's shadow looks like his mouth. A bit creepy. <_<

By the way...

View PostTrooper Dan, on 24 April 2019 - 12:01 AM, said:

Does anybody know what color gamorrean blood is?
If vest is red and skin green, then why not dark blue blood? Just like the cacodemons from Doom. I think is the best way to make it distinguishable.

it's extremely hard to upscale such small sprites. ideally you would have a pixel artist touching it up afterwards. Had it been one bad frame I could have edited in using from another (this is what I did for the cultists in my Blood upscale) but they're all more or less the same.

here's an alternative edit I just made, is this better? if so I'll add masks to it and send to Dan for the next version

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: spritesheet.png

User is offline   Perro Seco 

Looks good now, but the first frame doesn't convince me yet. I've made another edit, I don't know if it looks better or not, but here it is, in case you want to use it:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: spritesheet.png

User is offline   blizzart 

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Phredreeke, remember when you first showed me the Duke3D upscale I noted that the sprites as displayed in the game had an odd blocky quality I termed "mushy"? I slightly suspected back then that this might be a side-effect of the JPEG artifact emulation that was inadvertently introduced into the original Manga109 model, but now I'm 100% sure this is the case, and it is also present in the Duke Forces upscale too. Here's a quick comparison I threw together (current DF upscales on the left):
Spoiler

The images are zoomed at 4x their original size using nearest neighbour for better visibility. The JPEG-like artifacts are quite noticeable on dark surfaces like the Bossk's arm or the officer's uniform.

Note that I used a different model, Cartoon Painted 80k, to produce the image on the right, which may account for the differences other than the artifacts. I did not palettize the images. I still don't understand why the Bossk sprite came out so much different, save maybe the source image was different. I grabbed the sprite from here.

I gather that you sharpen the sprites after downscaling which I believe may lead to the JPEG-like artifacts becoming even more pronounced.

The Bossk sprite is different because I edited it in between upscaling and the post-processing - similar to the cultist in Blood.

I decided to attempt upscaling the weapons in the mod. Unfortunately they are defined using tilefromtexture so you can't do a simple drop-in replacement

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 18 May 2019 - 04:58 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

For the stormtrooper rifle it would make more sense to go back to the source, since I had downscaled the original. The only part needing upscaling would be Duke's hand.

It's from Jedi Knight, as seen here:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 18 May 2019 - 08:39 AM

User is offline   supergoofy 

I noticed that there is a Duke Forces foum here. Shouldn't this topic get moved there?

The old duke3d.def command to deactivate the opening text crawl still in the code? I don't remeber how the line was. The crawl get counted as a map, so at the end more than half of user episodes jumps to the second level.

User is offline   Dan 

Some of the user maps seem a bit random. I'm surprised more Star Wars themed levels didn't make the cut like Hoth or AT AT Walker.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options