Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Duke Forces -- THE Star Wars mod for EDuke32 - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Duke Forces -- THE Star Wars mod for EDuke32

User is offline   Forge 

View PostDan, on 18 May 2019 - 12:53 PM, said:

Some of the user maps seem a bit random. I'm surprised more Star Wars themed levels didn't make the cut like Hoth or AT AT Walker.

what a novel and unique idea!
So you're volunteering to make an entire episode?

Because the call went out years ago for mappers and nobody answered.

User is offline   Dan 

No, I simply said I was surprised all the existing Star Wars themed maps weren't included, that's all.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Many maps are released with a clause saying you’re not allowed to modify them. Trooper Dan would be going against the mappers’ wishes by including them in the mod.

User is offline   Forge 

the version 1 release had about 18 maps
the prebeta had over 40 maps.

there was a process of elimination - every star-wars themed map that we could think of was considered at one point in time and discarded for various reasons.

Hoth is a pretty weak map. At-At was too short, had a very limited arsenal, and need to be modified - which we didn't have the author's permission

This post has been edited by Forge: 18 May 2019 - 05:53 PM

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 18 May 2019 - 05:49 PM, said:

there was a process of elimination - every star-wars themed map that we could think of was considered at one point in time and discarded for various reasons.

This. Except for Boba Fett, which is the first map of the Darth Nukem episode. We would be happy to release an episode that included new maps specifically made for the mod.

User is offline   supergoofy 

is r7140 still the recommended build for eduke32 ?

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 18 May 2019 - 07:40 PM

User is offline   Forge 

View Postsupergoofy, on 18 May 2019 - 07:38 PM, said:

is r7140 still the recommended build for eduke32 ?

recommended -yes.

as a non-official satellite person to the project, my opinion is:

You can try r7657 and report any problems, if you like.

The problems won't be fixed, but at least we'll know if it works or not.

This post has been edited by Forge: 18 May 2019 - 08:13 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

The only problem I'm aware of with the most recent snapshot is that you can't jump into certain vents (as reported here). For example, the vent in E2L1 near the first keycard. This is due to a combination of the new clipping eduke code and the reduced player run speed in Duke Forces.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

it's too bad you can't alter a sector's floor/ceiling level through maphacks :P

User is offline   Forge 

You can get in those vents with the newer snapshots, but you have to spam the crouch button as soon as you jump & it may take numerous tries

User is offline   Radar 

• Zionist Shill

Having to spam crouch in order to jump into an area is quite ironic, considering the hit detection changes were meant to fix bugs that were induced by spamming crouch.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRadar, on 20 May 2019 - 09:10 AM, said:

Having to spam crouch in order to jump into an area is quite ironic, considering the hit detection changes were meant to fix bugs that were induced by spamming crouch.

I tried to make people care about this issue in my report by pointing out that this can also happen in unmodified vanilla Duke -- all you have to do is turn off sprinting. But because everyone plays with CAPSLOCK run on all the time, I guess nobody cares.

User is offline   Forge 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 20 May 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

this can also happen in unmodified vanilla Duke

and that's why the dev's aren't going to do anything about it - they'll simply tell you to change your modified walk/run speed

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Fury! ;) © 2019 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options