Duke4.net Forums: Shadow Warrior corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 27 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior corner  "This thread has alotta Wangs! Discussions on Shadow Warrior only."

User is offline   gemeaux333 

there's plenty of peoples who like that ^^

LO WANG : "You're good looking Sailor Babe ! What about you Moon me ?"

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 06 January 2020 - 09:59 AM

User is offline   Kerr Avon 

View Postnecroslut, on 06 January 2020 - 01:57 AM, said:

Button prompts killed all the "fun" interactivity in DNF. "Press E to request special dance"

I hate idiot prompts. I'm currently playing Terminator: Resistance (it's OK, not great, I doubt I'll ever replay it though), and of course it continues the modern tradition of you magically knowing (because of the onscreen prompts) whether or not you'll be open a door, before you even try it. There are also countless ruined cars everywhere (the game is set in the ruins of the USA), and a very small number of the cars have boots (trunks to the Americans) that can be opened and contain ammunition, med kits, and so on. And you don't have to try the car boots to see if that particular one opens, just go near it and put the cross hairs at it.

It just reminds you that it's a game, and removes more of the need for you to concentrate and think for yourself.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Postgemeaux333, on 06 January 2020 - 08:59 AM, said:

there's plenty of peoples who like that ^^

LO WANG : "You're good looking Sailor Babe ! What about you Moon me ?"

Underage.

View PostOccludeOlga, on 05 January 2020 - 03:27 PM, said:

You don't need a prompt to press use on toilets. Always flush toilets in Build engine games. Always.
Spoiler

Yeah, but that key placement was kinda bullsh*t.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 06 January 2020 - 07:56 PM

View Postnecroslut, on 06 January 2020 - 01:57 AM, said:

Button prompts killed all the "fun" interactivity in DNF. "Press E to request special dance"

View PostCommando Nukem, on 06 January 2020 - 08:07 AM, said:

"Press E to stick your dick in a hole."

View PostKerr Avon, on 06 January 2020 - 11:38 AM, said:

I hate idiot prompts

I sincerely apologize for my part in that.

View PostLazy Dog, on 06 January 2020 - 07:45 PM, said:

Yeah, but that key placement was kinda bullsh*t.

I mean... relative to the other two keys in that map... it's pretty tame. :lol:

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostOccludeOlga, on 06 January 2020 - 08:52 PM, said:

Are you saying they go back that far? I was always convinced they were a late addition.

You are a gentlemen!

Thinking about it, maybe constant prompts would be a good idea, as long as they are optional, for people new to gaming. Like most of us here, I was playing DN3D, Doom, etc in the mid 90s, so I had to get used no auto-prompting, actually spending a few moments thinking when looking for secrets, knowing my way around non-linear locations, etc. None of which are exactly intellectually demanding, of course, but they might still be off-putting for more casual gamers. Now that gaming is more mainstream than ever, and will continue to grow so, as the last of the non-video gaming generation disappear and the newer generations will never know a time when video gaming wasn't part of everyday life, then I suppose it's natural for games developers to look for more ways to make their games attractive to larger audiences.

Long gone are the days when gamers were largely a dedicated audience who were prepared to really put time and effort into learning the relative complexities of a non-simplistic game. The gaming world has changed so much between the 1980s and now.

View Postnecroslut, on 06 January 2020 - 10:49 PM, said:

Are you saying they go back that far? I was always convinced they were a late addition.

I don't know when we added the first use prompt, but I iterated on a TON of different looks and styles to them. My memory says it was when we committed to supporting consoles but could be wrong.

View PostKerr Avon, on 07 January 2020 - 08:16 AM, said:

Thinking about it, maybe constant prompts would be a good idea, as long as they are optional, for people new to gaming.

Could do something like what games do for inverted controls. Have a little "calibration" test where you have to find something and then ask the user whether they want them on or off. MOST people would opt in for them though, so from a dev bucks perspective, as well as flow from start to real action perspective, most developers wouldn't consider it worth it and just enable by default and not even bother offering the option to turn off.

View PostOccludeOlga, on 07 January 2020 - 08:46 AM, said:

My memory says it was when we committed to supporting consoles but could be wrong.

Posted Image

CONSOOOLEEEEES!!!!

This post has been edited by necroslut: 07 January 2020 - 09:10 AM

View PostCommando Nukem, on 06 January 2020 - 06:50 PM, said:

Underage.

How old Sailor Moon is supposed to be in the manga (last time I watched it was in the early 90s) ?

View Postgemeaux333, on 07 January 2020 - 10:34 AM, said:

How old Sailor Moon is supposed to be in the manga (last time I watched it was in the early 90s) ?

The theme songs says she's 14. I suppose she gets older in later seasons though.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I didn't expect Civvie to blast Wanton Destruction. I liked that episode more than the original campaign in some ways.

• Judge Mental

Button prompts don't bother me as much as giant glowing "fuck me lights." That always buggered my ass.

Shoot this glowing thing, idiot. Press this thing, idiot.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 07 January 2020 - 03:34 PM, said:

Button prompts don't bother me as much as giant glowing "fuck me lights." That always buggered my ass.

Shoot this glowing thing, idiot. Press this thing, idiot.

And what about the RED barrels that are meant to explode... actually everything that is red in a videogame is meant to explode...

View Postnecroslut, on 07 January 2020 - 11:01 AM, said:

The theme songs says she's 14. I suppose she gets older in later seasons though.

I could hardly say, I only know (barely remember) the french version of the generic :

"What fucking weeabory is this?" - Civvie 11

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 08 January 2020 - 10:15 AM

oh wait :

• Judge Mental

View Postgemeaux333, on 08 January 2020 - 09:37 AM, said:

And what about the RED barrels that are meant to explode... actually everything that is red in a videogame is meant to explode...

Well, red barrels are a real thing. You can find examples of those in real-life. So they're not irritating. That's more like sensible game design too. When everything you can do is emphasized with glowing shit, it really destroys immersion, though. It actually shines a light on everything that isn't functional in some way and increases the sense of artificiality.

Well, there is an upside : it remove the feeling to be lost in possibilities, which makes the game less intimidating at first playthrough...

View Postgemeaux333, on 08 January 2020 - 10:04 PM, said:

Well, there is an upside : it remove the feeling to be lost in possibilities, which makes the game less intimidating at first playthrough...

So it's your fault.

User is online   Phredreeke 

You no mess with Lo-Wang!

Or at least it makes sense in open world or semi-open world games...

• Judge Mental

View Postgemeaux333, on 09 January 2020 - 09:20 AM, said:

Or at least it makes sense in open world or semi-open world games...

Mmno.

At the very least if you're gonna have them in the game they should be something you can toggle on/off in the options menu. Best of both worlds.

It was the case in the latest Deux Ex games...

If you need to highlight stuff, either by flashing objects, button prompts or floating beacons/markers, then your art style has failed to do the #1 thing video game art should do – communicate the gameplay and game world.
Art is a language, and if your language is unintelligible, it's a shit language no matter how pretty it is.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 13 January 2020 - 03:38 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Whats your idea for the art style to convey to a player "hey this barrel can be blown up"
Put an "Explosive" hazmat sticker on every one?

• Judge Mental

View PostMark, on 13 January 2020 - 06:05 AM, said:

Whats your idea for the art style to convey to a player "hey this barrel can be blown up"
Put an "Explosive" hazmat sticker on every one?

Can't take objects like that on their own. They have to be considered within the envrionment.

Doom, Quake, Duke, Half-Life all did it just fine, because they had art styles that told the player about things without directly prompting the player. How did you figure out the C-12 canisters were explosive in Duke 3D? The game doesn't flash a prompt to tell you.

Air vents that are large enough for a human to crawl through in offices, shops, even in prisons, are another staple of first person shooters that you don't tend to see in real life. At least I've never seen any.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 13 January 2020 - 06:25 AM, said:

How did you figure out the C-12 canisters were explosive in Duke 3D? The game doesn't flash a prompt to tell you.

But the game actually did expect the player to be familiar with the exploding barrels trope, specifically from Doom if from nowhere else. Back in 1996 that is.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 13 January 2020 - 06:25 AM, said:

Can't take objects like that on their own. They have to be considered within the envrionment.

BTW, there was an interesting blog post by someone about how realistic graphics can ruin gameplay-minded level design:
https://eev.ee/blog/...ng-video-games/

View PostMrFlibble, on 15 January 2020 - 08:08 AM, said:

But the game actually did expect the player to be familiar with the exploding barrels trope, specifically from Doom if from nowhere else. Back in 1996 that is.

Yes, but not just from Doom, but also from (and I think this is often overlooked) movies. 80's/90's action games expected you to have seen movies like Die Hard.
This goes for the above-mentioned air ducts too.

This post has been edited by necroslut: 15 January 2020 - 10:38 AM

Share this topic:

• 27 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options