Duke4.net Forums: Shadow Warrior corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 27 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior corner  "This thread has alotta Wangs! Discussions on Shadow Warrior only."

And the corners keep on coming, like a rising fad that's getting bigger as time goes on. :D

This thread is for Shadow Warrior (1997) and it's addons (including the still unreleased Deadly Kiss). The Reboot and it's upcoming sequel Shadow Warrior 2.

Let the Wang-sized contest begin!

Robman will be happy and pleased w/ this thread.

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 05 April 2016 - 08:44 AM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostDustFalcon85, on 05 April 2016 - 06:02 AM, said:

Robman will be happy and pleased by this thread.

I'd be more pleased if people used my Sw Website for all things LoWang, but this will help :D

Here's my Sw Build tutorial videos thread.
Thread here about the add-on I have in the works.
And here's a link to my Sw Website even though it's in my signature.
A link to the SWC Forum.

This post has been edited by Robman: 05 April 2016 - 08:23 AM

User is offline   ---- 

After having searched a few times for "Deadly Kiss" now and then on this forum and didn't find any updates for months I wanted to ask if it is still in development (or if some weird IP-stuff got in the way as it was with HTTKC and DN3D in general) ?

Please note, that I am not asking for updates, nor do I want to rush anybody, nor do I demand anything. I just would like to have the info, if it is still in development, if that is possible. :D

Thanks in advance. :blink:

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 05 April 2016 - 09:13 AM

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

DK stopped production in an incomplete state back in 1997, and so far I have been unable to track down the necessary documentation that will let me lead my team in the right direction. I don't even have a credits list of the original dev team.

Work is entirely paused until I track down one last lead.

User is offline   ---- 

Thank you very much for the info. :D

User is offline   deuxsonic 

I was ecstatic when they finally released Wanton Destruction many years back. It's got some minor bugs but I thought it was quite good and that it was odd that it never made it to retail. Having Deadly Kiss would be awesome too.

Have some WangBang.

This post has been edited by deuxsonic: 05 April 2016 - 11:44 AM

Shadow Warrior is a classic! Cowabunga! I first bought Duke 3D along with Shadow Warrior in that East Meets West collection, biggest game box ever. Though I had played Duke on PS and N64 first.

I haven't played much Wanton, I should try that. What do you think of Twin Dragon, the other expansion in SW Redux?

Also, would be good if SW redux showed your keys on the smaller HUD. Because my brain is mush sometimes. :D

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 05 April 2016 - 12:18 PM

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I would say all three expansions are better than the second half of Code of Honor.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostPsychoGoatee, on 05 April 2016 - 12:16 PM, said:

Shadow Warrior is a classic! Cowabunga! I first bought Duke 3D along with Shadow Warrior in that East Meets West collection, biggest game box ever.

Posted Image

User is offline   leilei 

I only had enjoyment from the multiplayer in particular, custom maps where vehicles become less of a novelty

I hated SW's SP. and you couldn't turn off his 'jokes'

View PostHendricks266, on 05 April 2016 - 12:27 PM, said:

I would say all three expansions are better than the second half of Code of Honor.

ya because $coolys.map from beta's shadow warior 3d include by acident

View Postleilei, on 05 April 2016 - 01:42 PM, said:

I only had enjoyment from the multiplayer in particular, custom maps where vehicles become less of a novelty

I hated SW's SP. and you couldn't turn off his 'jokes'

ya because $coolys.map from beta's shadow warior 3d include by acident

Oh look, you're coming apart! :D Everything Lo says is pure genius, the guy was ahead of his time, a poet and a scholar.

View PostRobman, on 05 April 2016 - 08:08 AM, said:

Here's my Sw Build tutorial videos thread.
Thread here about the add-on I have in the works.
And here's a link to my Sw Website even though it's in my signature.
A link to the SWC Forum.

I think I've heard of that site. I seem to remember it was mad gay over there and it was run by some redneck nutter from Canada. :D

This post has been edited by High Treason: 05 April 2016 - 04:00 PM

How stable is Redux? There have been no updates since last year, at least that's what it says on Steam.

Also, is it possible to repack Twin Dragon and make the original DOS EXE run the repacked GRP?

This post has been edited by Duke of Hazzard: 07 April 2016 - 10:29 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Redux could use patches... the level warp cheat isn't working and hasn't for like a year I think sadly...

Redux is worthwhile, it does have some weird bugs like that though. For me it crashes if I ever try to quickload. The quicksave button works, but I have to use the menu to load. Other than that it works fine though.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Overall it's a nice package. For me the proximity mines are invisible in one of the expansions which essentially makes it unplayable (who wants invisible insta-death mines everywhere?) which is a shame.

Definitely worth picking up on sale though if you haven't got it already.

User is offline   MetHy 

Redux has no 8-bit video mode, it's therefore useless. If at least it had multiplayer like Megaton, it would have something.

Shadow Warrior doesn't really have a good sourceport anyway. SWP is full of glitches, like how randomly music will play even if you've turned it off, or how the thing will glitch-stay in 32bit video mode even if you try to go for 8bit.

The game works perfectly in DOSbox though.

SWPBuild is uselfull though, it's the only level editor that doesn't need DOSbox to run and it is a bit better than the original game's Build. However, going from Mapster32 to it, makes it feel really really weak.
There are so many little things in Mapster that make mapping faster and more conveninent that we've been taking for granted for the past few years, probably even forgetting they weren't in the original Build to begin with.

So when working on my SW map I'm constantly switching between Mapster32 and SWPBuild. Mapster32 for the base construction, SWPBuild for shading and effects. And I quickly test in SWP before doing more advanced testing in the original game using DOSBox.

It's a pain, especially because, as you should know, shading isn't the same between DN3D and SW so the map doesn't look right in Mapster but I build the construction with that. The game needs an EDuke32 quality port badly; although I understand why it's taking so long, because everyone knows that will be a fucking long hardwork to make and only a couple of hillbillies will actually use the level editor for something worthwhile.

I mean, by the time it comes out, I'll hopefully have finished my map, so who's going to use the map editor except Rob?

This situation with SW's sourceports really make me think of the Blood situation. Everyone takes for granted that if Blood's sourcecode is released we'll have a quality sourceport immediatly through magic. SW's sourcecode has been realeased for what, more than a decade, and there still isn't one, and Blood's community is only slightly bigger than SW's (Blood community= a dozen people,SW community= Robman)

This post has been edited by MetHy: 08 April 2016 - 12:03 AM

• Honored Donor

But still, the fact that Blood still has a community at all through all this time without a source code release speaks loads about their dedication. It's a positive sign, although they will of course need someone with the right coding experience and the free time to pull it off.

How different is shading in SW?

User is offline   MetHy 

What I mean is visibility is not the same at all. SW is much brighter game than DN3D, here is the difference between mapster32 and in game.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Honored Donor

Yeah it's certainly a much more realistic shading scheme, and a lot of Shadow Warrior does take place outdoors so that makes sense.

But is it not just a matter of increasing the visibility within mapster32, or does the shade scale follow a different trend?

User is offline   MetHy 

You can't just increase visibility in mapster32 to make it look like SW, or at least not to my knowledge. If you increase brightness all the colours will be foggy and you still won't have the same visibility.

Maybe the EDuke32 people know of a way to increase visibility to make look just like SW that I'm unaware of though, which would be convenient.

I don't think the shading graduation differs though, but considering how different the visibility is, you certainly wouldn't have the same shading habits in both games.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 08 April 2016 - 01:24 AM

• Honored Donor

Just to be sure we're on the same page, I'm talking about holding down (left) ctrl and (left) alt, then pressing keypad + or - to change visibility? Nothing to do with actual shade.

User is offline   MetHy 

Darn! Thanks, I had no idea you could do that. With visibility cranked up twice it does look very close to SW. That's going to be helpful. I should have time to work on my map again in the next days since I'm unemployed again, I just need to find inspiration and motivation.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 08 April 2016 - 02:21 AM

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostMetHy, on 07 April 2016 - 11:34 PM, said:

couple of hillbillies will actually use the level editor for something worthwhile.
I mean, by the time it comes out, I'll hopefully have finished my map, so who's going to use the map editor except Rob?
Ouch..

SW community= Robman)
I'm a lonely wang.

Redux put the shadows back in yet?

This post has been edited by Robman: 08 April 2016 - 11:47 PM

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 07:21 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

View PostMetHy, on 08 April 2016 - 02:20 AM, said:

Darn! Thanks, I had no idea you could do that. With visibility cranked up twice it does look very close to SW. That's going to be helpful. I should have time to work on my map again in the next days since I'm unemployed again, I just need to find inspiration and motivation.

Be mindful that visibility is stored in the map file.

User is offline   t800 

Just wondering... there was never released any official music for expansion packs *. So what music do you favor to play it with? Are there any custom fan made music packs suitable by mood of its tracks to maps?

* Quite curiously some sources mention that Twin Dragon got music made by Castles Music Productions. Anybody got more information?

Shadow Warrior doesn't really have a good sourceport anyway. SWP is full of glitches, like how randomly music will play even if you've turned it off, or how the thing will glitch-stay in 32bit video mode even if you try to go for 8bit.

You can reliably force 8 bit mode in startup launcher, but yeah toggle in game options is broken. But oh, if only those were our problems. :D
At least Hendricks266 managed to improve stability a bit in his branch (but crashes still occasionally happen). But more problems still linger like saves that get randomly corrupted, unpredictable physics (in very first map, when bus crashes into car, sometimes it steers into left) and opening menu doesnt always pause game (when this happens, it is better to quit game all together, I found out it is indication of more bad things to happen - mostly corrupted saves).
EDIT: Disregard all that, I was playing older version, everything seems to be much better in it.

This post has been edited by t800: 10 April 2016 - 11:30 AM

• Honored Donor

View PostDaedolon, on 09 April 2016 - 03:06 AM, said:

Be mindful that visibility is stored in the map file.

No it's not. I told him how to adjust the global visibility, which is a mapster setting. You're thinking of sector visibility.

User is offline   deuxsonic 

Since there are game engines that can play all the Quake games for example, I'm curious about whether EDuke32, being by far the best maintained Duke3D port, could ever go way off into left field and support Shadow Warrior and other BUILD games that aren't in essence TCs for Duke and become another one of the multi-game source ports. I can dream can't I...

View Postdeuxsonic, on 09 April 2016 - 05:06 PM, said:

Since there are game engines that can play all the Quake games for example, I'm curious about whether EDuke32, being by far the best maintained Duke3D port, could ever go way off into left field and support Shadow Warrior and other BUILD games that aren't in essence TCs for Duke and become another one of the multi-game source ports. I can dream can't I...

Shadow Warrior is in the works.

The problem is that unlike other engines the BUILD engine has been extensively modified for each game and development on it split, I mean, Shadow Warrior and Blood were by different studios (3DR and Monolith, although Blood started at 3DR), as well as Redneck Rampage, etc. and everyone added a lot of different features to it. So I understand how it can be difficult to integrate all BUILD games under a single umbrella.

Share this topic:

• 27 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options