Duke4.net Forums: Shadow Warrior corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 27 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior corner  "This thread has alotta Wangs! Discussions on Shadow Warrior only."

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostBlitZ, on 09 August 2019 - 03:13 PM, said:

Yeah, a BIN/CUE will create a perfect copy of the disc, including things like copy protection and other little details. ISOs are more like ZIP files in that it mostly contains the contents and very few of the attributes.

Pedantry incoming -- a BIN/CUE is definitely a fuller representation of the disc than an ISO but it's not perfect. For one it lacks subchannel data, and for another CDs are inherently difficult to read back accurately and know that the image file you end up with matches what is actually on the metal, particularly for CD-DA (audio).

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Would a data disc like this even have subchannel data?

Just tried to run the software on my Windows 10 x64 machine first. The installer and run program are 16-bits, so that's why they won't run on x64. When running via OTVDM the installer ran, although it doesn't do anything but adding an icon to the start menu, pointing to the CD-ROM drive. Then the actual program GWPLAY95.EXE complains it needs Apple QuickTime. Installed that from the CD and afterwards the GWPLAY95.EXE program just crashes at startup. Couldn't find out why it crash at this moment. So "easy" solution for now is to run it in a ancient Windows version.

Also found my old Windows ME computer here, although I need to dig it out.

This post has been edited by Little Tijn: 09 August 2019 - 11:20 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

We have DOSBox for DOS applications, why isn't there anything for Win3.x/Win95-era 16-bit programs by now? Will WINE do it under Linux? Didn't I hear of a Windows port for WINE specifically for this purpose? Is there any news about that? Maybe I'm wrong.

User is offline   gemeaux333 

You can install windows 3.11 on Dosbox, but it won't work for win95

Quote from: https://docs.google....Rhl4YJBT15FTx0/

Note: Windows 95 on DOSBox is just a toy. It’s not recommended for any serious work. Those who need Windows 95 for some productive purpose, or even for running games, are most likely better off using something like Virtualbox or Qemu.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, I have a Win3.x-installed DOSBox instance. We really need something for Win95-ME though.

User is offline   Newken 

BoxedWine: https://sourceforge....ects/boxedwine/

It's a bit time consuming, but you can also set up a virtual machine for Windows 95/98. Worked for most 16-bit programs back when I still used Windows.

• The Sarien Encounter

I used to use a virtual machine with WinXP (that Windows 7 used to come with) but now that that's been axed I haven't found a good replacement. I don't like virtual machines anyway. Certainly doesn't work for games as there's no 3D acceleration features that I can find that tap into your actual hardware's capabilities. Everything is in software mode. DOSBox is different because, well, it's DOS. And there are glide builds for 3Dfx stuff.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 11 August 2019 - 06:24 AM, said:

We have DOSBox for DOS applications, why isn't there anything for Win3.x/Win95-era 16-bit programs by now? Will WINE do it under Linux? Didn't I hear of a Windows port for WINE specifically for this purpose? Is there any news about that? Maybe I'm wrong.

A while ago I managed to run some Windows interactive CD menus from game mag coverdisks I found at archive.org with vanilla Wine in Linux. Some stuff didn't work though, no idea why, and I wasn't motivated to dig further. From what I know, Wine was originally developed specifically for Win16 applications but I generally had less luck running those in modern Wine versions that 32/64 bit stuff. Like, none of the Win16 Macromedia Director self-running demos (Blizzard and some other game publishers used them in the mid-90s) ever worked for me in Wine.

DOSBox is different in at least one aspect: it emulates the entire hardware setup of a DOS machine, thus being self-sufficient and platform-independent. Wine on the other hand is supposed to "translate" Windows applications into something that a Linux machine can "understand" and run. As far as I understand it, if you wanted to have a Windows version of Wine or an equivalent too, you'd need to change it so that it would "translate" applications into a language understandable by a modern Windows system. I have no idea how much work that would involve, and at any rate it's less prioritised because there's at least some legacy compatibility options in modern Windows versions. The BoxedWine thing linked to above on the other hand, includes the Linux kernel in a virtual environment for it to work.

User is offline   Master O 

So now that Ion Fury is out, is VoidSW next?

User is offline   supergoofy 

for Windows 95/98 gaming you can try PCem or its fork 86box

User is offline   Ninjakitty 

I'm trying to make a full playlist of all shareware and full version tracks in FLAC form, so far I've been able to rip all full version FLAC music off the disk, but I have no way to export midis with the SC-88 soundfont.
Does anyone here have a Roland SC-88 by any chance?

User is online   Phredreeke 

aren't those tracks also on the CD?

View PostPhredreeke, on 15 September 2019 - 09:32 AM, said:

aren't those tracks also on the CD?

Shareware tracks were also on the CD, I think, but only on the shareware CD. I already have the tracks but they're in midi form (just tells the computer how to play the instruments, not what the instruments sound like) which just plays them in whichever soundfont your computer supports, and if your computer runs windows it sounds awful with the default soundfont. If someone had an SC-88 though, we'd be able to use that soundfont and export it.

User is offline   Nuke.YKT 

I did recordings using SC for iOS (pretty close to real SC-88) a while back. Here's link

It sounds kinda like the SC-55 recordings someone on these forums did. So it's close, but not quite 88

It appears you also did SC-88 rips http://vgmpf.com/Wik...ow_Warrior_(DOS) :P
(the closed parenthesis are supposed to be part of the hyperlink but aren't for some reason, so just make sure that's in the url)
Are Ogg audio files lossless? (also, do you have Pyroclastic Flow or Taiko Recall converted?)

Wait, my bad, these are the same :(

This post has been edited by Ninjakitty: 15 September 2019 - 10:27 AM

What's the status of VoidSW?

Not quite yet. Still stuff to be done for Ion Maiden, last I've heard

View PostNinjakitty, on 15 September 2019 - 02:11 PM, said:

Not quite yet. Still stuff to be done for Ion Maiden, last I've heard

Careful, a certain English metal band will sue you for using that name! (sarcasm)

User is offline   Besli 

View PostNinjakitty, on 08 August 2019 - 10:05 PM, said:

Dunno why there's a bin or cue image, wouldn't it be easier to mount an iso? I've got the disk right here and I've got it running in PCem Win95.
Posted Image

These renders seems to be slightly higher resolution than most of the renders we have (a little higher res than some that look very similar but with background removed). The coolie's shirt also doesn't have any weird clipping going on.
I can easily just screenshot the renders from here, but I wonder if maybe the images are actually a little higher res and just downsized to fit in the window...? (then again, they might not be and this might be a waste of time)

Here's what the files on the disc look like:
Posted Image

Do you think you can get those Artworks from the cd an post them here?

I have them in the form of screenshots, no idea whether the images are stored at a higher resolution than they're shown in the program, though

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

We do already have way higher resolution renders than these screenshots, tho. Currently I'm not too worried about extracting the actual image files from the program (which probably aren't even any higher resolution than these), I've been working on something else

Also, here's a Wangified meme
Posted Image

First time playing Twin Dragon, I take this is normal? on Hung Lo's Palace.

Posted Image

found a similar screenshot in the Shadow Warrior wiki,

Posted Image

All other mirrors i've see until now worked fine.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 26 December 2019 - 11:48 AM

User is offline   Malgon 

While I didn't really enjoy the two expansions as much as the main game, it's good to finally see Civvie getting around to these.

This post has been edited by Malgon: 04 January 2020 - 10:11 PM

Personally I think he was a little hard on Wanton Destruction, I loved just about every level of it :lol:
In fact, my only real complaint would be that the mercenary's hat gets cut off in some frames of his animation xd

Will admit it was pretty dang difficult, but I like the challenge

I've been patiently waiting for him to finally do the expansions. It kills me to see him playing with the awful Redux lighting which utterly ruins the maps. Enjoyed it anyways.

You don't need a prompt to press use on toilets. Always flush toilets in Build engine games. Always.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by OccludeOlga'sOcculus: 05 January 2020 - 03:30 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostOccludeOlga, on 05 January 2020 - 03:27 PM, said:

You don't need a prompt to press use on toilets. Always flush toilets in Build engine games. Always.

Button prompts killed all the "fun" interactivity in DNF. "Press E to request special dance"

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Postnecroslut, on 06 January 2020 - 01:57 AM, said:

Button prompts killed all the "fun" interactivity in DNF. "Press E to request special dance"

"Press E to stick your dick in a hole."

Share this topic:

• 27 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options