Duke4.net Forums: Shadow Warrior corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 27 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shadow Warrior corner  "This thread has alotta Wangs! Discussions on Shadow Warrior only."

User is offline   ---- 

Solved with the Steam-Version.

Steam didn't freeze.
It tried to bring up the "really launch with addon"-prompt but couldn't as it doesn't wotk with small view or reduced to the tray icon.
Then Steam tries to open the prompt but only draws the lines of the window but not the prompt itself making it look as it crashed during trying to render the window.

Solution is to make a bat that first opens Steam and then launches the game's url with the addon suffix.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 10 October 2017 - 03:38 AM

User is offline   Jim 

The SW addon TNE has new weapons, however in redux, they still act like old weapons. Is there anyway to get the new weapon's code to work with redux?

User is offline   Phredreeke 

My understanding is any modding of Shadow Warrior outside of simple map or texture replacements involves hacking the executable, even the level names are hardcoded!

User is offline   Ninjakitty 

I believe SWCR overrides some of the weapon tiles. It overrides the riot gun (not sure why), the sword (to make it long enough to actually look like a katana in widescreen), and a few frames of throwing shurikens (not sure why).

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

The katana, shurikens, and riotgun all cut off on the sides, which is visible in widescreen. Jimmy made these extended art tiles and I calculated the tile offsets so they would be a drop-in replacement.

Ah, that makes sense

User is offline   Jim 

I can see the graphic changes, but from the TNE readme:

2. Throwing Knives -- No more of those ridiculously weak shurikens!!
These knives are the real things!! You throw them 3 at a time,
and the almost nonexistant reload time makes these very effective
control tools. Add to the fact that these sharp knives are very
powerful, you'll find yourself using this more often then you
thought! You can only carry 48 of these at a time now.

3. Riot Gun -- First the bad news - there's no second fire mode. You
can only fire one shot at a time. Also, you must reload after
each and every shot. But now the good news -- each shot is now
more than 2 times as powerful as the old riot gun!! You'll find
the extra firepower more than worth the added reload time. However,
you can now only carry 30 shots of these powerful bursts at a time.

4. MP5 Machinegun -- This gun shoots out a fast and powerful stream of
bullets that refuse any chance of survival for your opponent.
Because of is weight, you can only hold one at a time; but the
added power more than makes up for it. Plus, no reload!!

7. Rolling Mines -- HUGE change!! First of all, the mines will no longer
stick onto an enemy, so don't try. These mines roll on the floor
until they hit a wall. But they are no longer triggered by
proximity. You must trigger them either by shooting it or rolling
another mine into it. This weapon is perfect when you have a room
full of enemies. All you have to do is appear at the door, roll
two successive mines into the room, then get the hell out. Once
the two mines roll into each other, the room will go boom, and the
gibs will fly!! Note that these are a lot more powerful than sticky
bombs, and have a much bigger blast radius, so use with caution!!

It is these changes that I don't see on SWCR. Are there ways to make it work?

This post has been edited by Jim: 11 October 2017 - 12:49 PM

View PostJim, on 11 October 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

It is these changes that I don't see on SWCR. Are there ways to make it work?

not all of the changes don't work on SWP either, LOL

This post has been edited by Ninjakitty: 11 October 2017 - 01:17 PM

• Weaponized Autism

It looks like someone did some advanced EXE hacking. Getting these features to work in a source port would require an in-depth process of porting and reconstruction in the source code.

Could you post a link to the mod?

User is offline   Jim 

View PostHendricks266, on 11 October 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

It looks like someone did some advanced EXE hacking. Getting these features to work in a source port would require an in-depth process of porting and reconstruction in the source code.

Could you post a link to the mod?

Here you go:

http://swcentral.wee...aps--codes.html

• Weaponized Autism

View PostJim, on 11 October 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

Here you go:

Ah, Tonight Never Ends.

Now that I think about it, it looks like they simply made use of ProAsm's impressive SW.EXE hacking tool SwGroup.

Was probably using SwMapper, SwNames, and SwGroup
There on here: http://swcentral.wee...les--links.html

This post has been edited by Ninjakitty: 11 October 2017 - 01:19 PM

User is offline   Jim 

View PostHendricks266, on 11 October 2017 - 01:18 PM, said:

Ah, Tonight Never Ends.

Now that I think about it, it looks like they simply made use of ProAsm's impressive SW.EXE hacking tool SwGroup.

What about that Blood Port you're doing? Can it support the these weapons? IIRC it is the dosbox functions being routed over, and this mod works in dosbox right? Kinda sad it doesn't work in source port as it is I think the only real weapon mod for SW

This post has been edited by Jim: 11 October 2017 - 09:54 PM

User is offline   Jim 

I was looking at the twin dragon mine issue, and it is clear that the polymost bug with the mines is not getting fixed at this point. Since custom graphics are supported in SWCR, would it be possible to change the graphic of the mine to have an antenna so that it is visible even when it sunks into the ground?

User is offline   ---- 

View PostJim, on 11 October 2017 - 11:57 PM, said:

I was looking at the twin dragon mine issue, and it is clear that the polymost bug with the mines is not getting fixed at this point. Since custom graphics are supported in SWCR, would it be possible to change the graphic of the mine to have an antenna so that it is visible even when it sunks into the ground?

Greats idea.
But I don't think anybody here is willing to fix that* as the redux-version isn't liked (and the mine-issue isn't in the classic version). Otherwise we had a custom fix for that,

I also read on Steam that some folks on GoG had fixed that mine-issue with maphacks or so. Unfortunately (and of course) a link wasn't provided and I couldn't find anything on the GoG forums.

*) Or don't have the skills and time ... like me, for example. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 12 October 2017 - 01:38 AM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostJim, on 11 October 2017 - 09:53 PM, said:

What about that Blood Port you're doing? Can it support the these weapons? IIRC it is the dosbox functions being routed over, and this mod works in dosbox right? Kinda sad it doesn't work in source port as it is I think the only real weapon mod for SW

Yeah, it should work fine.

View PostJim, on 11 October 2017 - 11:57 PM, said:

It's not an easy bug to solve since you would need to not clip sprites against the floor geometry in Polymost. It would probably be easiest to tilefromtexture the same tile in the defs, but set a different yoffset so it appears above the ground.

User is offline   Jim 

View PostHendricks266, on 12 October 2017 - 08:28 AM, said:

Yeah, it should work fine.

It's not an easy bug to solve since you would need to not clip sprites against the floor geometry in Polymost. It would probably be easiest to tilefromtexture the same tile in the defs, but set a different yoffset so it appears above the ground.

Can you fix the mine issue in VOIDSW? and add texture filtering for those people that want it?

• Weaponized Autism

View PostJim, on 12 October 2017 - 06:41 PM, said:

Can you fix the mine issue in VOIDSW? and add texture filtering for those people that want it?

VoidSW will support the Classic renderer which doesn't have the issue. I want to fix it in Polymost without hacks but it's a long road to get to that point. Texture filtering will be there on day 1, except maybe in Polymer with the artmapping shader like Duke (which isn't too complicated to fix but something I've never done before).

User is offline   Jim 

Will your thing support the PS1/saturn version of powerslave? Kaiser's port doesn't have quicksave, making it very hard to play

• Weaponized Autism

Those versions don't use the Build engine, so unfortunately it will not support them.

User is offline   Jim 

One more question, is there a way not to use the widscreen katana, shriken, and riotgun in redux, so we can see the custom graphics of the last warrior?

• Weaponized Autism

Sure, open sw-redux.def and remove the tilefromtexture definitions.

User is offline   Jim 

I've rename the entire file, will this cause any other side effects other than the hi res menu?

User is offline   ---- 

I sent a PM, Jim. :rolleyes:

View PostHendricks266, on 12 October 2017 - 08:28 AM, said:

Is the cause of the mine bug the same as the BloodGDX bug described in this post? https://forums.duke4...post__p__288036

• Weaponized Autism

View PostPhredreeke, on 13 October 2017 - 09:56 PM, said:

Is the cause of the mine bug the same as the BloodGDX bug described in this post? https://forums.duke4...post__p__288036

Yeah, it looks like it.

I just realised... the behaviour of Polymost here is technically more correct isn't it?

Regarding your Blood port, am I correct that it is running the original DOS versions, but intercepting the calls it makes to the Build engine and instead runs them against its own native renderer? Will it also support other games that haven't got a source port like Redneck Rampage and Powerslave?

User is offline   Jim 

View PostHendricks266, on 13 October 2017 - 09:57 PM, said:

Yeah, it looks like it.

Well, this proves changing the graphic of the mine would work, right? even half a mine being visible will resolve this issue.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostPhredreeke, on 13 October 2017 - 10:10 PM, said:

I just realised... the behaviour of Polymost here is technically more correct isn't it?

For certain definitions of correct. The software renderer's concept of a face sprite doesn't have a direct analogue in the simple OpenGL of the era in which Polymost was made.

View PostPhredreeke, on 13 October 2017 - 10:10 PM, said:

Regarding your Blood port, am I correct that it is running the original DOS versions, but intercepting the calls it makes to the Build engine and instead runs them against its own native renderer? Will it also support other games that haven't got a source port like Redneck Rampage and Powerslave?

Yes, it should support every Build game. Build version 7 games will be the first to work, followed by version 6 (Powerslave), and finally 5 (and maybe 4 if I'm feeling charitable to Legend of the Seven Paladins, or if the hard work of making v5 happen will cover v4).

View PostJim, on 13 October 2017 - 10:16 PM, said:

Well, this proves changing the graphic of the mine would work, right? even half a mine being visible will resolve this issue.

Changing the graphic is probably a sufficient quick fix for the user, but it's a hack. There will always be more cases out there, such as the +30 health bananas in Duke Caribbean, for which fixing would be a game of whack-a-mole. There are also cases like the gargoyle, where changing the tile is not an appropriate hack, and instead you would need something akin to the .mhk files in the Duke HRP.

User is offline   axl 

View PostHendricks266, on 13 October 2017 - 10:24 PM, said:

Yes, it should support every Build game. Build version 7 games will be the first to work, followed by version 6 (Powerslave), and finally 5 (and maybe 4 if I'm feeling charitable to Legend of the Seven Paladins, or if the hard work of making v5 happen will cover v4).

I'm very curious about your port ! Since it will support all Build games, will it make EDuke32 obsolete? Do you have like a deadline in your mind? Shouldn't we make a separate thread on this? Sorry if I ask too many questions :rolleyes:

Share this topic:

• 27 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options