• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quake corner.  "Everything related to the Quake franchise. Discuss here."

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Vanilla Fixes pack has been updated to Rev.4.

Changelog:
- Fix for losing runes when saving and restarting game
- Support for new DOPA ep.5 ending text from Quake Enhanced

Download Rev.4 (38.7 MB MB)
See readme for details

User is offline   Newken 

vkQuake 1.11.0 adds initial support for Quake 2021 re-release. :)

https://github.com/N...ases/tag/1.11.0

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: vkQ.png

• The Truth is in here

Nash Muhandes created a Quake clone within 10 days:
https://www.doomworl...one-in-10-days/

User is offline   jkas789 

Saw the video, that was pretty impressive.

• The Truth is in here

Vanilla Fixes pack has been updated to Rev.5.

Changelog:
- Fix for items spawning too early (fixes HIP1M4 silver key not always spawning on skill 1 or higher)
- Enforcer telefrag fix/improvement attempt for E2M1 on skill 1+

Download Rev.5 (38.7 MB MB)
See readme for details

• The Truth is in here

Quakespasm-Spiked now has native support for the MD5 model format used for the improved models in Quake Enhanced.
On top of that, the new release features a new "Extras" menu in options where you can tweak stuff like model lerping, texture filtering, classic (square) particles etc. It appears Spiked also ported over latest Quakespasm changes which include support for Quake 2021 re-release and external .vis files (for transparent water).

To get both mission packs working:
- Enter your Steam installation dir (default: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Quake\rerelease). Open "QuakeEX.kpf" with 7-Zip (or another zip manager of your choice) and extract the "localization" folder into your QSS dir (e.g. C:\Quake)
- DOPA: Copy over the "dopa" folder from your Steam installation into your QSS dir, then start the game with parameter -game dopa
- DOTM: Copy over the "mg1" folder from your Steam installation into your QSS dir, then start the game with parameter -game mg1

With the "localization" folder copied to the right location (Quake root dir, parallel to "id1", "hipnotic" and "rogue" dirs), you should also be able to use the new ID1/SoA/DoE pak files if you wish.
There are still a few minor bugs in DOTM, e.g. Grunt corpses will move on top of you when you walk over them, but it seems to be playable in general. Also no dynamic shadows.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 07 September 2021 - 03:21 AM

Time to update. Thanks for the heads up Nightfright.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 07 September 2021 - 01:14 AM

• The Truth is in here

QSS has been updated again (Sep 8). I can say that the issue in DOTM with Grunt corpses moving on top of you when you pass over them has been fixed now. Besides that, I can't tell.

You know, this updates were relatively quick. Almost as fast as SKSE updates back when Skyrim SSE was updating the SkyrimSE.exe every month or so thanks to the Creation Club.

• The Truth is in here

BTW, besides missing updated models (like SoA), DoE (mission pack #2) doesn't have new fog effects, vised water or lit files. Apparently this is because they couldn't get a hold of anybody from Rogue with the map sources. Which is kinda insufficient as an excuse since you don't need any sources for that afaik.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 08 September 2021 - 11:42 PM

• The Truth is in here

The Authentic Model Pack Rev.26 has been released. With this update, we implemented MDL conversions of some selected MD5 models from Quake Enhanced. Especially the Ogre, Rotfish and Zombie profit from this change.

We intentionally did not simply convert all available MD5s, and those that we used were fixed up until we were satisfied with them (e.g. Ogre and Demon models don't clip into floor when walking/after death). Where we were happy with existing replacements, we kept them in place - also for consistency reasons (e.g. new Grenade Launcher would not have looked good in combination with Prox Mine Launcher from SoA).

(This should also work with the Nightdive port, provided you copy the paks into the rerelease folder and turn off "Enhanced Models" in Options -> Display. Also don't use the custom progs.dat files since they might break port functions.)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 10 September 2021 - 04:21 AM

• The Truth is in here

Quakespasm Spiked has been updated again. One change I noticed was that DOPA "Congratulations" screen from Quake Enhanced is now shown at the end of the episode without the need of any additional external patch files.

In the meantime, Vanilla Fixes for Quake Rev.6 has been released. View readme here.

Highlights:
- Nextthink fixes are back without breaking HIP1M4
- Swimming up with +jump now as fast as moving
- Autoaiming no longer reset after loading new map

I have also made a special quakespasm.pak replacement for Quakespasm only, containing ent fixes for Quake vanilla and Enhanced which will ONLY load with maps from those two editions. Even the wrong music tracks in E4Mx maps from Enhanced have been corrected. However, I cannot put these in a project like this since it works with checksums, a feature currently only supported by latest Quakespasm, Quakespasm-Spiked and vkQuake builds. I have presented my fixes to the Quakespasm team already for review. It's possible they will eventually implement them into the official release so you would have map fixes + z-fighting issues resolved in ID1/SoA/DoE.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 13 September 2021 - 05:45 AM

• The Truth is in here

Vanilla Fixes for Quake Rev.7 has been released. View readme here.

Highlights:
- Progs.dat fixes for ID1 rewritten entirely (based on Preach's cleaned QC 1.06 source), with essential fixes included only (-40KB compiled code compared to previous versions)
- Removed start.ent to avoid conflicts with start.bsp used in many other mods
- More vital fixes for SoA and DoE (smooth plat movement which improves cart rides e.g. in HIP3M1 or R1M4, improved weapon switching, walkframe leak fix...)

Notes:
- Even though the ID1 progs.dat now does NOT include the full extent of the URQP fixes any longer, you can rest assured it still contains all fixes necessary for a good singleplayer and multiplayer experience.
- You should now not have problems any more with addons that come with their own start map (if named start.bsp).

This post has been edited by NightFright: 20 September 2021 - 05:14 AM

• The Truth is in here

BTW, a fair warning to anybody who has been using recent Quakespasm-Spiked builds: Looks like these aren't working right. There are severe issues with enemy/item spawns, leading to various glitches and sometimes even showstoppers.

Examples:
- E2M1 "The Installation": A small explosive box appears on the path across the water area to the gold keycard.
- HIP3M3 "Limbo": Vore spawns do not happen as intended when trying to grab the silver key from the rising platform. Two of them get stuck underneath their "spawn boxes" (non-player space) and never appear, preventing the key to be lowered since you can't get the necessary kills.

This also happens in usermaps, such as:
- "Putrid Pumps": two Ogres stuck in floor
- "Slime Factory": three Knights not teleporting in for the final fight since they are stuck in the floor
- "Squire of Time": "Armored Nightmare" map has rocket boxes stuck in the ceiling
- "Cimmerian Night": First map has explosive box stuck in the ceiling
- "Into The Dark": three Shamblers stuck in floor, one Fiend falling through map, Lightning Gun + 2 cell boxes floating in the void

All this shows one thing: Something's rotten in the state of QSS. As it stands now, I'd rather recommend using regular Quakespasm 0.94.1 if possible until these severe issues are solved.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 October 2021 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for the heads up Night Fright. I guess I'll roll either roll back to an earlier version or try another sourceport.

• The Truth is in here

Sadly, Spike doesn't respond too often to tickets on Github, and when he posts a new build, there's no changelog coming with it. Maybe he's talking about it on Discord somewhere, but I wouldn't know where.

Right now, we can only hope he's at least checking Github and finds a fix soon. I don't know where to find older QSS builds, otherwise I could try to find out which is the last reliable build so far. It's surely one before Quake Enhanced support was added. There's a fallback release on the QSS website which is one year old, you could try that.

Regular QS has a lot of features from QSS by now and you actually don't lose that much by switching. One missing feature bugs me, though: PK3 support.

User is offline   Lunick 

Does vkQuake also have these issues? That's my port of choice.

• The Truth is in here

I did a quick test with latest vkQuake in E2M1 and HIP3M3. Both maps don't show any of the bugs I described above, so it can be assumed that port is safe to use.
However, it seems it inherited some problems after all. In Gotshun's "Lost Levels", the silver key won't be taken away at the beginning of the level e2ue "Connect", which is the same issue QSS has with that map.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 October 2021 - 11:01 PM

• The Truth is in here

Also, some statusbar icons seem to be missing in DoE with vkQuake. The only Quakespasm-based port I know right now which doesn't suffer from ANY issue is vanilla Quakespasm.

Update:
Looks as if latest QSS build from today (Oct 6) shows at least partial improvements. HIP3M3 silver key spawns work again, but the E2M1 exploding box which shouldn't be there still appears. This indicates that spawn-related issues are still not completely solved.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 06 October 2021 - 05:52 AM

• The Truth is in here

OK, according to Tribe, all (or at least most) spawn-related issues are fixed with the QSS build from Oct 6.

The E2M1 exploding box only appears if you use Quake Enhanced combined with the Authentic Models Pack (even though regular Quakespasm would still not have this glitch). It's actually the box that's supposed to be next to the silver keycard, but since it doesn't have the dimensions of the original, it falls through the floor and lands on the lower level.

There is still another issue which breaks at least a custom map for SoA, but so far I didn't encounter this problem anywhere else and it also only seems to happen when using Authentic Models.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 06 October 2021 - 09:47 PM

I mean, if that is all then I think I'll keep using Authentic Models. Those problems are actually negligible compared to the pros of using the mod.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 07 October 2021 - 09:19 AM

• The Truth is in here

Quake Enhanced has received its first major update:
https://steamcommuni...653788150871156

This post has been edited by NightFright: 07 October 2021 - 12:30 PM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Does it have that gravity gib thing taken care of or was that addressed previously?

• The Truth is in here

After a quick ingame test with impulse 9 and rocket-gibbing some enemies, it appears as if this specific issue has been addressed.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

So with that taken care of, is there anything QE lacks in comparison to other more classic-styled source ports? Are there any major lingering bugs, either with the engine itself or any major original bugs that QE still has to iron out (e.g. Doom's blockmap bug which was preserved in the unity port)? I mean I know it's probably not about to go run Arcane Dimensions or anything super fancy like that; I'm just asking if this is a really solid way to play classically with (I am a sucker for lighting).

• The Truth is in here

In case your jaw hasn't dropped to the floor yet: Alkaline v1.1 is out.

https://www.celephai...ad.php?id=62119

Four new maps, new enemies, music and tons of additional features.

Quake on steam has gotten a big update. TLDR it got a Horde Mode and Honey was added as a new add-on.

Full update notes can be read here.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 02 December 2021 - 10:16 PM

• The Truth is in here

The Quake re-release received its second update yesterday on Steam. Highlights seem to be a new coop mode for up to 4 players (also bots), "Honey" as the first official user-made addon to be included and then some smaller fixes (e.g. autoaim) and other mostly multiplayer-related issues. But hey, at least they fixed the incorrect naming for the Death Knight.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 December 2021 - 10:36 PM

Hopefully we will also get Arcane Dimensions. Someday, maybe. Plz.

User is offline   Lunick 

View Postjkas789, on 02 December 2021 - 10:38 PM, said:

Hopefully we will also get Arcane Dimensions. Someday, maybe. Plz.

Isn't that full of content from other games? No way they'll ever include that without those things being replaced.

Share this topic:

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options