• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quake corner.  "Everything related to the Quake franchise. Discuss here."

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostNightFright, on 19 August 2021 - 11:19 AM, said:

Remarkably, this is actually released already.

I could see it as a teaser for an actual new Quake game then. Put out a feeler, see how many people respond. But I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

They removed the old versions of the Mission Packs from Steam, i own them but the store pages are gone.
EDIT: oh they're included in the new version, you can even play the dos versions.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 19 August 2021 - 01:38 PM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Short summary from people that started playing this on consoles:
- Old maps have some extra detail.
- Pickups have bobbing, like in Q3.
- Z-fighting doesn't seem to be an issue.
- Colored lighting is there, but can be deactivated, just like model interpolation, fog or shadows.
- Software underwater warp effect is implemented but seems to be a bit too exaggerated.
- Other than the actual monster models, their headgibs have not been remade.

In general, it seems to be pretty decent. I am most curious about that new episode, though. The rest I already know so well I can play through the maps while sleeping.

• banned!

It runs on Kex, haha. Also nice of them to make it free for owners of the original on Steam. Didn't even need to pay for this.

This post has been edited by Jesus Christ: 19 August 2021 - 01:52 PM

User is offline   jkas789 

Here is my question though, is it possible to run the new episode on sourceports like quakespasm - spiked?

Dimension of the Machine and Dimension of the past crash after entering the first level. Here are some screens:

Attached Image: spasm0000.png

Attached Image: Screenshot_1.jpg

Could they be kex engine only?

This post has been edited by jkas789: 19 August 2021 - 08:12 PM

• The Truth is in here

Maybe the ports will require updates to run this, but it might also be possible they use an exotic format which is Kex-exclusive. Anyway, I am not surprised in general you can't just use this in other ports. That would have been too user-friendly.

In the meantime, more findings from guys over at the Func_Msgboard:
- This release features high quality sounds.
- Visual enhancements can be toggled, e.g. you can choose to have new models, but disable DOF and texture filtering.
- "Dimension of the Past" episode from 2016 is included in a tweaked and enhanced version, with two new maps.
- "Dimension of the Machine" has a hub with 4 small episodes featuring about 3 maps each plus a small final episode and some DM levels.
- Original Steam version is still available. New stuff is in a separate folder. Quake and all mission packs have updated PAK files.
- DM7 and DM8 are available which had to be obtained separately back in the days.
- Romero's uncut "Dismal Oubliette" (E2M6) with the "Lost Entrance" is included.

Regarding the port:
- While full up/down aiming is not allowed like in the original game, Nightmare skill was changed. Player now has his health limited to 50 HP and monsters don't just spam projectiles (similar to the Copper mod).
- There's still some z-fighting happening, e.g. in that E2M1 Enforcer alcove opposite of the gold keycard. Apparently also the E2M1 Enforcer gibbing while teleporting in was somewhat fixed, it happens a lot less now.
- Transparent water support is available now, but the effect is also applied to teleporters which is not really a desired effect.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 19 August 2021 - 09:33 PM

• banned!

I got about halfway through the new episode with one crash in one of the sewer levels. Honestly I have no major complaints. It's nothing amazing, but it's also not a total shit show like I imagined.

User is offline   cybdmn 

View Postjkas789, on 19 August 2021 - 08:04 PM, said:

Here is my question though, is it possible to run the new episode on sourceports like quakespasm - spiked?

Dimension of the Machine and Dimension of the past crash after entering the first level. Here are some screens:

Attachment spasm0000.png

Attachment Screenshot_1.jpg

Could they be kex engine only?

I read somewhere that this release brings a new progs.dat, maybe you have to use it. In the trailer was this windmill, and i'm pretty sure that the rotating blades aren't possible in the old vanilla quake. Maybe there are some new definitions and stuff added, in the exe and/or progs.dat.

A lot of custom episodes/maps/mods don't work. Run slower than Quakespasm or even Darkplaces (not the fastest sourceport). Don't worth my money.

• The Truth is in here

I analyzed the contents of DOTP and found out that they have made any messages external for language support, i.e. the map files themselves only contain $variablename for all messages. While this can be reverted, what is inside of the custom progs.dat cannot. Apparently they also added six runes to DOTP including an episode ending text (besides the two new maps), so we are not only talking about a few messages, but also gameplay changes. Ultimately, if custom ports don't make adjustments for this, you will have to run everything through Kex. That's it. Same goes for the new models which are in MD5 format, making sure nothing will just work with any other port. That's the part I really hate about this remaster, regardless whether it was done intentionally or not. But well, we all knew already this wouldn't be your new bread-and-butter port to be used for everything, just like Doom Unity.

The only thing that works with other ports are the remastered sounds. Which brings me to this:
Vanilla Quake Fixes Rev.3 is available. This time to include the remastered sounds from the recently released Quake Remaster. Now not just a few sounds are replaced/improved, but all of them - including the mission packs.
Note: In order to fully profit from this, be sure to set your sndspeed variable to "44100". In Mark V-WinQuake, there is a config.cfg entry, while in Quakespasm it would have to go into autoexec.cfg (sndspeed "44100") if you don't want to set it manually with each game launch.

Download "Vanilla Quake Fixes Rev.3 (38.6 MB)
See readme

This post has been edited by NightFright: 20 August 2021 - 03:07 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

You're not going to get in trouble for using assets from that re-release are you?

• The Truth is in here

Well, I stated my sources in the readme. If that's not enough and any remastered content is protected by new copyright... well, then I guess I have to revert it back again. A quick check of NOTICE.TXT reveals that copies of this work can be reproduced and distributed, however under the condition that the license (NOTICE.TXT) is included. I have done that now, so hopefully I am on the safe side after that.

It's really pretty much the only stuff that can be used in other ports, anyway, so that's as far as my ripping will go. It would be interesting to know how they made these sounds, anyway - did they have access to the source files or are these just resamples?

This post has been edited by NightFright: 20 August 2021 - 03:07 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I was streaming this last night and having a blast. Particularly with the Quake 64 addon as I had not played that version. Love it. And Dimensions of the Machine is freaking great. I love that they went with Nightdive and Kex Engine for this. DOTM map work is stunning! And with couch/online multiplayer/crossplay? I love new id. Consider me head over heels excited and a little more of a Quake fan than I was. Definitely getting that box set from LimitedRunGames. Also looking forward to Quake II Remastered which seems like a no brainer down the road. Particularly excited to play the Quake II 64 addon they'll no doubt make for it. That one has a completely different campaign.

View PostNightFright, on 20 August 2021 - 02:33 AM, said:

It would be interesting to know how they made these sounds, anyway - did they have access to the source files or are these just resamples?

They said on stream that they "went back into their archives for the original sounds" and made 22 Khz versions to replace the 11 Khz ones. So no resamples.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 20 August 2021 - 06:27 AM

User is offline   axl 

Have not been able to test it, but this seems like a very solid release packed with content. If only the same would have happened with the Duke Nukem 3D remaster a few years back ...

• The Truth is in here

Well, you got to give them that: They CAN do proper remasters. Now the question is only how long that port will receive updates. Doom got its last one almost a year ago and I am sure not all issues with it are fixed yet.

Anyway, finally there is an official port that includes all mission packs and the music, which is certainly a reason to celebrate for anybody who wanted a fire-and-forget release that fully works out of the box. For advanced stuff like Arcane Dimensions you'll still need Quakespasm, though - at least for now.

What they should address in a future update:
- Add missing headgibs remakes
- Add better bsp models (ammo/health boxes) - they are still just square boxes with textures
- Tweak that aggressive underwater warp so it's more subtle
- Eliminate the rest of z-fighting cases if possible

I'll find more once I play past the first couple of maps, I guess.

Btw, comparing the quality of the new models with our Authentic Models pack, I think the community edition is still superior in most cases. It also has remade BSP models and headgibs. Ogre and Vore might be better in the remaster, though. With the weapons, it's a draw at best.

DLC wishlist:
- Commercial addons (Malice, Shrak, Abyss of Pandemonium)
- Zerstörer
- Beyond Belief
- Travail
- Arcane Dimensions

This post has been edited by NightFright: 20 August 2021 - 07:34 AM

• banned!

Malice would blow people's minds if it was introduced to a new audience.

I've tried to run base game, dopa and mission pack 1 (I know that new episode crashes on quakespasm) well it works perfect except for a thing: messages. But I was able to fix them with some .ent editing: just finished Dopa, then I'll start base game and finally Mission pack 1. My wishlist? EVERY SINGLE map/mod/addon/episode etc.... from 1996 til 2021 B)

• The Truth is in here

After watching this model comparison video, it is now almost 100% sure they used all models from capnbubs (Player, Rottweiler, Grunt) which are also in the Authentic Models pack:

On top of that, they apparently got capnbubs' Ogre somehow which had never been released before and which we had been chasing after like the Holy Grail for the last seven years. It's a bit frustrating to see it surfacing just like that now out of nowhere (and even worse, out of reach), but OK.

As for the other models: Vore, zombie and rocket launcher are also really nice, the rest is about on par with what we had come up with during the last few years. Since all those models are md5, I doubt any of these can ever be used in our project, though. But well, this isn't supposed to turn into a dick comparison or anything.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 20 August 2021 - 09:21 AM

User is offline   Newken 

Quake was free on Bethesda's launcher last year, the update is also free there. Nice, but I'm staying with vkQuake. B)

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostBlood Vengeance, on 20 August 2021 - 08:15 AM, said:

I've tried to run base game, dopa and mission pack 1 (I know that new episode crashes on quakespasm) well it works perfect except for a thing: messages. But I was able to fix them with some .ent editing: just finished Dopa, then I'll start base game and finally Mission pack 1. My wishlist? EVERY SINGLE map/mod/addon/episode etc.... from 1996 til 2021 B)

They said there will be curated mod updates on consoles, but on PC you can put whatever mods you want in there.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 20 August 2021 - 12:52 PM

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 20 August 2021 - 12:51 PM, said:

They said there will be curated mod updates on consoles, but on PC you can put whatever mods you want in there.

Too bad many maps/episodes don't work, Quakespasm is 100000000 times better. This crap is aimed at console kids who hijacked the FPS genere since too much years.

• The Truth is in here

I would like to use this without Steam, but looks like you can't. With the Doom port it's possible.

Well, here I am hoping quakespasm-spiked get an update to work with the new episodes.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 20 August 2021 - 01:52 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostBlood Vengeance, on 20 August 2021 - 01:02 PM, said:

Too bad many maps/episodes don't work, Quakespasm is 100000000 times better. This crap is aimed at console kids who hijacked the FPS genere since too much years.

Has anybody tried?

Also, why the hostility? You lose nothing with this new version. On PC, it still comes with the original version of the game so you can take it and use Quakespasm until your heart's content. What's the problem? Why shouldn't console players have the best version possible for them on their platforms?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 20 August 2021 - 02:35 PM

• The Truth is in here

This clearly isn't going to be a port you will be able to use for anything Quake-related. Already hasn't been like that for Doom, won't be any different here. There's going to be some classics that will receive Bethesda's blessing to be integrated, but if your expectation is that this is going to run anything at some point in the future, you'll be disappointed.

This is targeting people who want a simple solution for a complete Quake release with some eye-candy which works out-of-the-box, especially on consoles. And naturally, making a 25-year-old game (more) accessible to a new audience which hadn't been around yet by the time of its original launch. That's fine and there's no need to rant about it. If you know what you are doing, stay with the port of your choice, run all the mods and addons like you always have and just ignore this if you don't like it.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 20 August 2021 - 03:18 PM

Honestly this port is fine, I guess for newcomers into Quake. Which I expect there are a lot of them what with "boomer shooters" and "retro shooters" being the current indie fad.

Personally I don't like it myself because movement feels off compared to OG and other ports but hey at least we have a "competent" port on modern systems for quake. Sorry but I'm not a fan of the kexengine.

• The Sarien Encounter

I haven't noticed any differences in any of the KEX Engine games I've tried compared to the originals. Every experience I've had has always been spot on (I haven't played Blood FS or the original Blood, but I get the gripe there from hardcore fans). I'll say it again though, I'm not the biggest Quake fan I've only played it a few times every few years. I'm not as intimately familiar with the physics and everything, and obviously that's important for Quake given what it's known for.

But again. The original version comes with it. So it really doesn't matter if you just need the game files. I mean, if you already have Quake then fine. I don't know. I like KEX. Nightdive is good people. I want to support. They're getting it right for the most part.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 20 August 2021 - 05:28 PM, said:

Nightdive is good people. I want to support. They're getting it right for the most part.

I also like Nightdive, and I try and support them by buying all (within reason and my interests of course) their releases. However it grinds my gears that every time they release a game something is off, and they eventually drop support for a game. And I get that some of those are not their fault but the publishers.

It still is a pretty dumb situation.

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah. For Blood FS specifically their contract expired. I thought the Turoks were fantastic though. Though I guess they still haven't released a Linux version on GOG for Turok 2? I don't know if the level editor was ever released either "officially" (I know it's accessible in the console or something, but it's not readily available like it is for Turok 1). Blood FS is the only one I wouldn't buy, seeing as it's got as many issues as it does (playable, but not authentic is my understanding).

Share this topic:

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options