Duke4.net Forums: Quake corner. - Duke4.net Forums

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quake corner.  "Everything related to the Quake franchise. Discuss here."

View PostLunick, on 03 December 2021 - 03:14 PM, said:

Isn't that full of content from other games? No way they'll ever include that without those things being replaced.

Yeah, it uses content from the mission packs (shouldn't be a problem, the rerelease includes them), but also stuff from Hexen 2 and it's mission pack and iirc some Quake 2 textures.
And even if it didn't, can the engine manage the bigger maps, like Tears of the False God? I know Quakespasm had to be updated at least one time to support one of the (at the time) new Arcane Dimensions maps, it was simply too big and/or detailed.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 03 December 2021 - 04:51 PM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I doubt Kex can handle AD maps in general. Maybe some, but certainly not the more recent ones. I mean, there aren't many ports that work with AD in general.

Just recently someone released a tweaked QS build which moves rendering completely to the GPU, providing a massive FPS boost in AD_Tears. "Massive" means going from e.g. 60 to 400 FPS.

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostNightFright, on 04 December 2021 - 12:45 AM, said:

Just recently someone released a tweaked QS build which moves rendering completely to the GPU, providing a massive FPS boost in AD_Tears. "Massive" means going from e.g. 60 to 400 FPS.

Whoa!!! That big of performance improvement? Is this the main quakespasm build or is this another fork of quakespasm?

• The Truth is in here

It's branched off the official QS, no QSS or vkQuake stuff in it. Vanilla Quakespasm with pure GPU rendering. However, some QSS/vkQ code was still used to detach the renderer from the server. Some other extras have been implemented, the most obvious ones being vanilla-style underwater warp effect and z-fighting fixes for classic maps.

It's here on Github:
https://github.com/a...espasm/releases

Minimum requirements seem modest, e.g. Geforce 600 or Radeon HD 7000. To be fair, I have to admit I cannot confirm these speed improvement claims since I haven't tested it myself so far. Just forwarding what others wrote about it on the Func_Msgboard.

But don't get your hopes up for this rendering style to find its way into other QS branches, though. Major code rewrites would be necessary.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 04 December 2021 - 03:19 PM

• The Truth is in here

Side note: Baker showed up again in the Mark V thread over at the Func_Msgboard, after years of absence. Doesn't look like he's going to update his port, though. Which is a pity, really, especially since I consider his WinQuake variant maybe the best vanilla-like port in existence.

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostNightFright, on 04 December 2021 - 12:45 AM, said:

Can confirm that it has massive performance boost over the default Quakespasm. With default QS, AD_Tears would run pretty bad and would even drop to 30fps at the worst spots. Whereas on this fork, I got consistent 60 fps. Even when increased FSAA from 0 to 4 (4x anti-aliasing), I was still running at 60fps, with only a slight dip to 52fps for a split second at one point.

Running AD_Tears at 60fps brought a tear on eyes :')

• The Truth is in here

Need to try it as well. There's a few things from QSS I don't wanna miss, like pk3 support, but on the other hand, those speed boosts cannot be ignored, just like proper underwater rendering.

Besides, latest QSS builds are buggy again. Best build with Kex support seems to be the Oct 14 release till now.

In the meantime, Quakespasm 0.94.3 has been released. Texture loading fixes for ad_tears and one map in DOTM.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 05 December 2021 - 08:05 AM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I'm quite proud of myself. I'm about as newbie as it gets when it comes to modding Quake (short of someone who doesn't know what the console is), but I manged to successfully write a slower walk script by reverse-engineering a completely unrelated script. I mostly wanted it for some of the more atmospheric moments where bouncing off the walls like a pingpong ball kinda detracts from it.

I know it's not even remotely that impressive to anyone with even the tiniest experience in modding the game, but still!

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 12 December 2021 - 02:59 AM

• The Truth is in here

The Christmas Jam 2021 has been released. 25 AD maps!

https://www.moddb.co...ons/xmasjam2021

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Congrats, Ninety-Six. Those moments are always nice, I can relate. :)

• The Truth is in here

A small overview of nice Quake episodes that will most likely be released this year:

- Waning Madness (Squeezit), ID1/vanilla style
- The Absolution (Zigi), Doom64 style
- The Fathomless Reach (Markie), AD style
- Tremor (various authors), ID1/vanilla style
- Dwell: Episode 1 overhaul + Episode 2 (various authors), Hexen style

(List taken from dumptruck_ds' preview video from Dec 21)

User is offline   jkas789 

Dwell is pretty swell.

• The Truth is in here

Ironweil, formerly Quakespasm-Fast (aka "Quakespasm which runs AD faster than anything else") has a new build available (v0.3.0) since January 8. AD_Tears is now another 20% faster, more options in the video menu, software emulation mode and other nice new features wait for you to be tested. Oh, and there's a 64-bit version now as well.

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Quake is such a comfortably miserable late 90s experience for me. I like it when things were low key and minimalistic, but gritty and threatening at the same time. No one's really captured that vibe since then. In cinema, the movie Se7en and Silence of the Lambs are comparable. Musically, NIN (obviously), Massive Attack's "Mezzanine", maybe even Prodigy's Fat of the Land...

• The Truth is in here

In case you haven't seen it yet, there's a new 10-map episode (or rather map pack) since Dec 17 called Violent Rumble.
What's special about this one (besides its large and awesome-looking AD-ish maps) is that it mixes content (weapons, monsters, powerups) from vanilla, both mission packs and Quoth (plus a few extras). Also, to gain access to the bonus level, you need to collect six runes which are located (sometimes hidden) within the levels.

I am currently playing it and it's quite something. My personal favorite is Coffee Achiever's "Recreational Astrocide" which has you jumping around between four massive cathedrals with jump boots and a grappling hook until you have an epic showdown on the final platform. Be sure to check this out!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 12 January 2022 - 07:31 AM

• The Truth is in here

Ironwail 0.4.0 aka "Fast Quakespasm" is out:
https://github.com/a...ases/tag/v0.4.0

For me the most important changes are the fixes for the edicts leak (crashed some bigger maps when saving/loading too often) and transparent water not working all the time.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 30 January 2022 - 01:34 PM

Quake has been updated. They have added the Underdark Overbright user episode and the gameplay mod Copper.

I assume we will all have to wait for the ports to get updated . God damn it I just finished setting up vkQuake <_<

EDIT: As a side note, has anyone else noticed quake stuttering after the new update?

This post has been edited by jkas789: 16 February 2022 - 11:22 AM

• banned!

https://www.moddb.co...ke-4-in-quake-2

"Welcome to the history of Quake 4 in Quake 2 a total recreation of all the missions of Quake 4 in Quake 2."

Haven't played it, but looks interesting.

• The Sarien Encounter

Oooo. I was not a fan of Q4 but always liked Q2. I'll be following this.

Funnily enough, I never liked either of Quake 2 or 4. I was more into Quake and Quake 3 personally. Quake 3 LAN parties were a popular thing in Mexico. There are still a lot of active rooms actually.

• The Sarien Encounter

I remember vehemently loathing the MP-only shooter era of UT and Q3A. Yet I enjoyed CS. I was never a multiplayer gamer though and CS was based on HL1 which was single player. My friends played CS so I guess that's mostly why it was okay. And I suppose why everyone loved Q3A and UT too. I rejoiced when Quake 4 returned to its single player roots but it was rather a let down. Didn't even resemble Q2 in atmosphere or aesthetic.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 20 February 2022 - 08:18 AM

• The Truth is in here

Don't expect too much of that Q4 conversion, though. Level design is very basic and bland, low amount of detail. We also criticized this on the Func_Msgboard. What made it worse was that the guy originally wanted to charge for the full package. Which caused quite an outcry among the comm, as you might imagine. But even for free it's too amateurish for my personal taste.

• banned!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 20 February 2022 - 08:18 AM, said:

I remember vehemently loathing the MP-only shooter era of UT and Q3A.

Q3A was my earliest gaming disappointment. I was 8 years old when that came out and I didn't understand why there was no single player campaign. The graphics looked amazing, etc. I thought I had the demo for like 2 years until someone told me that was the whole game.

UT was genuinely good, I thought. Q3A always felt like it was missing something (even for MP-only).

This post has been edited by Thrice Cursed: 20 February 2022 - 01:08 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Even as a MP-only game, I thought Q3A was weak compared to UT. I had a bit of fun with UT. But I just never saw the point in Q3A. I couldn't find anything of redeeming value for me personally to wring enjoyment out of. Q2 I started seeing the signs, but by Q3A I realized I would be continually disappointed with everything id Software did from then on.

Until Doom 2016 was finally released. And that's why I love new id more than old id.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 20 February 2022 - 01:26 PM

• banned!

Lol, I like Doom 2016 but honestly I don't find it that much better than Quake 2. It feels more formulaic too. Like you've got basically platforming in between enemy arenas, for the whole game. So in this sense I actually liked Quake 2's pacing more. Doom 2016 feels way more artificial and arcade-y. Having to know the right combos of stuff to use to kill demons and the ammo & health pellets that fly out when you kill them is something I could never wrap my mind around. Still had fun with it, but eh.

• The Sarien Encounter

I love it. I love how they throw reality to the wind but still manage to stay grounded. That said, after playing Eternal I can't go back to 2016's gameplay anymore. I'm addicted to the fun zone.

But back to Quake, maybe that's why I've always preferred Q2 to Q1.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 21 February 2022 - 08:27 AM

• banned!

The only thing I dislike about Q2 is it really is incredibly brown. The maps all blend into one after a while. Perfection would be Q1 style (combining the gothic and eldritch themes) with the level progression and continuous world feel of Q2.

• banned!

So I ended up playing Q2's expansion The Reckoning after this conversation and highly enjoyed it. Might be better than the original campaign actually. My suggestion to anyone who hasn't tried it: save your traps until the Strogg ship and you're dealing with enemies using shields. At one point I had a bunch saved up and found them useful in that situation, not before. Also a hilarious combo is power shield + double speed shots (whatever its called) + quad damage. Feels like being on crack. Anyway, it was surprisingly fun. Better enemy placement, better everything, really. Ground Zero I am not enjoying as much. Might stop playing that one.

I'm still trying to fix the Kex Engine Quake on my Linux laptop. Still getting weird stutters and slowdowns. The weird thing is that:

1.- This didn't happened at all until the last update
2.- vkQuake runs absolutely fine. In fact, it runs even better than official Quakex.

Wtf is going on. has anyone had problems with this? I'm using my dedicated graphics card everything. I want to be able to fix this weird issue of mine because me and my friends want to organize a LAN (well I guess WLAN this days) soon, however if this keeps going I don't see that being possible.

EDIT: Yeah I'm giving up on this. Quakex just refuses to not run like ass on my machine.

As a side note, does anyone know were Quakex downloads the Honey & Underdark Overbright addon? I can't seem to find them in the rerelease folder in the root of the Quakex install. Yeah I know can download them off the internet I guess, however if they are already on my pc then why waste my time on it?

Nvm found it, it was buried in fake drive c thing proton sets up. Gonna uninstall Quakex and just download it when they release a new addon in case they fix something in them or whatever. F this noise.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 25 February 2022 - 11:20 PM

Id has released the QuakeC source code used in the re release of 2021, expansions included.

Neat. Hope this helps the other sourceports get even better.

In other related news, QuaKex got updated with some new accessiblity features, QoL improvements, bug fixes, what the devs call modding improvements and three new levels for horde mode.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 20 April 2022 - 11:33 AM

Share this topic:

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options