Duke4.net Forums: Quake corner. - Duke4.net Forums

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quake corner.  "Everything related to the Quake franchise. Discuss here."

User is offline   jkas789 

The one that has the annoying scorpions that fire nails at you. I hate those fucking things. Jokes aside, Dimension of the Machine maybe?

Oh shit. Y'all seen this?

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Is there any game that hasn't had the headless kamikaze enemies modded into it at some point?

I'm not complaining I just think it's funny how often they show up.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Hollycaust in Quake.

The HRP city skybox looks weirdly flat, here.

Otherwise, a nice tribute.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I hage only noticed the release of Dwell Ep.2 now.

If you didn't get it yet, latest version 2.1 (was updated on Feb 7) is here:
https://www.slipseer...urces/dwell.21/

Had been waiting for that one for quite a while. Even if you have played Ep.1 before, a replay is a good idea since all the previous maps have been reworked considerably.

Ironwail is recommended as source port, and at this point I can only recommend it as your standard go-to solution for anything the mapping community is still going to throw at you. It's super fast, supports all the latest mapping standards, runs stable and is well supported.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 09 February 2023 - 01:50 PM

View PostNightFright, on 09 February 2023 - 01:41 PM, said:

I hage only noticed the release of Dwell Ep.2 now.

If you didn't get it yet, latest version 2.1 (was updated on Feb 7) is here:
https://www.slipseer...urces/dwell.21/

Had been waiting for that one for quite a while. Even if you have played Ep.1 before, a replay is a good idea since all the previous maps have been reworked considerably.

Ironwail is recommended as source port, and at this point I can only recommend it as your standard go-to solution for anything the mapping community is still going to throw at you. It's super fast, supports all the latest mapping standards, runs stable and is well supported.

Hmm, there doesn't seem to be a linux port of ironwail. I'm not sure if I should try and run it through proton...

Ironwail does build on Linux; but they don't supply binaries for it, so you have to build it yourself

Bare-bones instructions:

Dependencies are build-essential g++ git libcurl4-openssl-dev libmad0-dev libsdl2-dev libvorbis-dev make
Git repo:
https://github.com/andrei-drexler/ironwail

Use git clone to download it, cd into the Quake directory and type make.

This is just what I cooked up for Mint and it should work for other Ubuntu derivatives.

I've attached a binary that should work on Ubuntu, but if not, then you'd best be off contacting the developer and asking if they can write a proper build guide for Linux.

Attached File(s)

• The Truth is in here

They could slowly release a new version, though. Last release is from May 2022, with far over 400 Github commits made since then.

Or is someone able to compile a working Win x64 build from latest code? Would be highly appreciated.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 10 February 2023 - 10:49 AM

View PostMartin Howe, on 10 February 2023 - 02:12 AM, said:

Ironwail does build on Linux; but they don't supply binaries for it, so you have to build it yourself...

Thanks for the instructions mate. I was trying to build it from the root directory instead of the Quake subdirectory. (>ᴗ•)

I'm impressed! This runs way better than vkquake on my machine even when I'm not using the dedicated GPU.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

"I heard you liked Quake so I put Quake in your Quake."

I remember back int he day playing a Slipgate Complex level for the original Half-Life which was loaded with grunts. I honestly think that one was a little more impressive given that Quake 1 and 2 share the same player and world scale. Half-Life's player is slightly bigger, so it would require tweaking the level a little to make it not feel small.

• The Truth is in here

Since it hasn't been mentioned here yet:
Another 7+3 map SP episode called "Spiritworld" has been released a couple of days ago.

User is offline   Lunick 

I'm working my way through that one, currently on the second secret level.

User is offline   Lunick 

Ooh, that looks fun. I hope it takes off and gets more maps because I love movement systems like that.

• The Truth is in here

I had almost missed this since it went completely underneath my radar, but since Mar 3, Alkaline v1.2 has been released with new maps. In case you don't know what it is: Arcane Dimensions in space. Nuff said.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 24 April 2023 - 06:06 AM

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostNightFright, on 24 April 2023 - 06:06 AM, said:

I had almost missed this since it went completely underneath my radar, but since Mar 3, Alkaline v1.2 has been released with new maps. In case you don't know what it is: Arcane Dimensions in space. Nuff said.

Funny you mention this now, because I am in middle of Quake Alkaline 1.2's walkthrough myself (about over halfway through). And yes I can vouch for its quality. Next best thing after Arcane Dimensions. Probably even better than AD at certain points (like enemy roster for example).

• The Truth is in here

Currently playing the second episode of "Dwell" and I am almost finished with it. Verdict: The first six maps are a dream. Especially D2M4 "That We Should Voyage So Far" is not only a visual, but also an atmospheric feast, brilliantly enhanced by a fittingly melancholic music track.

Sadly, the episode crashes against a concrete wall hard in the final two maps. While D2M7 ist just designed in a rather bland way compared to its predecessors, also lacking in the navigation/orientation department, D2M8 absolutely pulls the emergency break with a complexity monster. 400+ mobs even on Easy, dozens of exotically placed switches to find, several jump puzzles, an insane key hunt, highly confusing map design, mob hordes teleporting in etc. It's really a shame this otherwise excellent episode must end on this rather low note. I am not the only one with this opinion, though, so maybe at some point these levels get modified or, even better, replaced completely.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 09 May 2023 - 01:48 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

That level you speak of needs to be yanked out completely, it doesn't have the same flow as the rest of the episode and after the hour or so I spent in it I never want to play a level that long ever again.

• The Truth is in here

D2M8 is doable, took me 67 mins to finish. Mainly it's about finding three silver keys while these dozen orb switches you can find are apparently rather optional, as I've learned. However, the entire map is super maze-ish and you have absolutely no idea where to go. It feels like you are randomly deactivating barriers and then you have to figure out where that happened. Gratefully, most of the jumping puzzles are actually only leading to secrets. As a standalone bonus map it might work perfectly fine, but as part of an episode where consistency and continuity matter, it simply feels totally out of place.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good map on its own with interesting concepts, but the issue is all the other maps are not like it and therefore it feels forced and inadequate. A pity this hadn't been noticed during playtesting.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 09 May 2023 - 10:51 PM

View PostNightFright, on 09 May 2023 - 01:47 PM, said:

Currently playing the second episode of "Dwell" and I am almost finished with it. Verdict: The first six maps are a dream. Especially D2M4 "That We Should Voyage So Far" is not only a visual, but also an atmospheric feast, brilliantly enhanced by a fittingly melancholic music track.

Sadly, the episode crashes against a concrete wall hard in the final two maps. While D2M7 ist just designed in a rather bland way compared to its predecessors, also lacking in the navigation/orientation department, D2M8 absolutely pulls the emergency break with a complexity monster. 400+ mobs even on Easy, dozens of exotically placed switches to find, several jump puzzles, an insane key hunt, highly confusing map design, mob hordes teleporting in etc. It's really a shame this otherwise excellent episode must end on this rather low note. I am not the only one with this opinion, though, so maybe at some point these levels get modified or, even better, replaced completely.

I didn't even finished the last map tbh. It got lost and I'm honestly too busy this days to brute force something I'm obviously not enjoying. Maybe later on I will get around it.

• The Truth is in here

Once you know what you actually have to do on that map to get out, it's a tiny bit less confusing. Opening that large gate with three silver keys is all it takes. However, getting them is the challenge. Taking over an hour for that, even on Easy, is just too long. None of the other maps took me more than 30 minutes, which is also my personal max of what I'm willing to invest playtime-wise.

• The Truth is in here

Didn't have this one on my list, but check it out:
https://www.slipseer...-dimension.234/

"Deathmatch Dimension", a 10-level episode inspired by the original DM maps. May sound like some boring DM-to-SP conversion, but it's far from it. Impressive architecture, pleasant and somewhat challenging gameplay, great atmosphere, creative secrets (and even unofficial ones with id tributes)... it's all there. A somewhat unexpected highlight for Quake enthusiasts.

Comes with a caveat, though: The author DOES like Shamblers. On skill 1, I already had an encounter with 4-5 of them at once four maps in or so. You've been warned.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 13 June 2023 - 01:46 PM

View PostNightFright, on 13 June 2023 - 01:42 PM, said:

Comes with a caveat, though: The author DOES like Shamblers. On skill 1, I already had an encounter with 4-5 of them at once four maps in or so. You've been warned.

That does not sound enjoyable.

User is offline   Lunick 

Shamblers are fun

• The Truth is in here

We're getting spoiled with new Quake content these days.
Latest entry is Re:Mobilize, featuring 11 maps with new ways to move around (extreme jumps, climbing, hooks). Haven't played this one yet, but looks interesting.

Link:
https://www.slipseer...re-mobilize.239

• The Truth is in here

(I've just noticed a trailer about Re:Mobilize had been posted here back in April, so in that case it's merely a notification it has been released.)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 17 June 2023 - 02:54 PM

• The Truth is in here

At long last, two years after being announced, Mjölnir has been released. Judging from the old trailer, this is supposed to have really impressive maps, new weapons, monsters and gameplay elements (since it is based on a brand-new mod called Keep, among others). Think Arcane Dimensions, but bigger. A lot bigger.

Notes:
- Mod requires 3 GB (!) of disk space, which is a lot for a Quake mod.
- If you can't download from the link in the OP, try one of those posted below.
- Ironwail users should currently use included binary instead of the latest official 0.7 release from March, otherwise some maps won't load properly.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 23 June 2023 - 05:47 AM

• The Truth is in here

Since July 8, "Tainted" is available, an 8-level episode based on Copper. So far it's only featured on Slipseer, which is why it might not get the attention it definitely deserves.

Link:
https://www.slipseer...es/tainted.249/

This post has been edited by NightFright: 24 July 2023 - 09:02 AM

User is offline   Outtagum 

Quake II Remastered rated in Korea.

https://www.gematsu....-rated-in-korea

Share this topic:

• 38 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options