Duke4.net Forums: Windows 10 - Duke4.net Forums

• 19 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows 10

User is offline   Jeff 

When using NV surround, the start menu seems to open on the far left monitor, instead of the center where the taskbar is (taskbar is set to "confine to single display"). Didn't work this way in Windows 7. If the taskbar is confined to the middle display, the start menu would open on that display, not the left one.

This post has been edited by Jeff: 31 July 2015 - 07:22 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

When I upgraded, it left everything from my Windows 7 install intact. I did need to muck with drivers a bit, as I needed to update my Video and network drivers, so keep an extra computer handy if you get knocked offline. Windows 8.1 drivers work with Windows 10 as far as I can tell and have used so far.

I recommend uninstalling most of your old drivers before updating, to prevent any possible issues.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 31 July 2015 - 07:16 PM

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

This piece of shit software is NSA botnet city. Go read up on it. Shit has changed since the beta.

Fedora Linux 21 + KDE Plasma 5.3 master race. So glad I switched. I installed a second, newer SSD for 7.

Also, FUCK MICROSOFT FOR THEIR WIFI SENSE BULLSHIT. I just had to add "_optout" to my home network's SSID and both of my work locations. Fantastic job guys. Thanks for forcing me to reconfigure MY SHIT for your peeping Tom of an operating system. I never thought it would be possible but Curry McTikkahead is an even worse CEO than ESTJ the Turtle.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 01 August 2015 - 06:53 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I'd use Linux if it wasn't for the fact that I need Windows for Sonar and games with any customization capabilities whatsoever. Don't have the space for dual-booting. I used to dual boot Win XP and Debian back in the day....but I just never used Linux after a while.

I put 10 on my gaming rig and promptly rolled back to 7, for some stupid reason i couldn't use a custom resolution. I have my TV which is my monitor set at 2560x1440p at 60hz but with windows 10 it doesn't work and any resolution above 1080p is locked to 29hz.

Nvidia might fix it soon but for the time being i'll stick with 7.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Having seen the widely mixed reviews on this thread, I think I'm going to wait before opting in on my main rig. It seems like there's still a few issues that need to be cleaned up.

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostPerson of Color, on 31 July 2015 - 09:17 PM, said:

This piece of shit software is NSA botnet city. Go read up on it. Shit has changed since the beta.

Fedora Linux 21 + KDE Plasma 5.3 master race. So glad I switched. I installed a second, newer SSD for 7.

Also, FUCK MICROSOFT FOR THEIR WIFI SENSE BULLSHIT. I just had to add "_optout" to my home network's SSID and both of my work locations. Fantastic work guys. Thanks for forcing me to reconfigure MY SHIT for your peeping Tom of an operating system. I never thought it would be possible but Curry McTikkahead is an even worse CEO than ESTJ the Turtle.

No offense ( :) ) but every time you post something I have this image in my head of some fat neckbeard yelling at the screen.
First, while hidden it's really simple to log in without needing to connect to a MS account: http://www.baldnerd....rosoft-account/
Second, you can turn off most (if not all) of the tracking crap from Win10. (edit: I'm not so sure anymore)

View PostRapture Rising, on 01 August 2015 - 03:50 AM, said:

I put 10 on my gaming rig and promptly rolled back to 7, for some stupid reason i couldn't use a custom resolution. I have my TV which is my monitor set at 2560x1440p at 60hz but with windows 10 it doesn't work and any resolution above 1080p is locked to 29hz.

Nvidia might fix it soon but for the time being i'll stick with 7.

I've had similar problems but with Windows 7. Every time I turned the computer on, my TV kept resising the icons (small, medium and big icons) or changing the resolution. I eventually went back to my monitor, didn't have the patience to look for a solution at the time.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 01 August 2015 - 05:49 AM

User is offline   Mark 

My link Even sinking so low as to put adverts in Solitaire.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 01 August 2015 - 06:34 AM

View PostLkMax, on 01 August 2015 - 05:37 AM, said:

No offense ( :) ) but every time you post something I have this image in my head of some fat neckbeard yelling at the screen.
First, while hidden it's really simple to log in without needing to connect to a MS account: http://www.baldnerd....rosoft-account/
Second, you can turn off most (if not all) of the tracking crap from Win10. (edit: I'm not so sure anymore)

LOL that's my intention actually. I'm a fat fuck but at least I shave.

View PostMark., on 01 August 2015 - 06:33 AM, said:

My link Even sinking so low as to put adverts in Solitaire.

Dude I know, I mean seriously. This fucking company has no standards anymore.

This post has been edited by Person of Color: 01 August 2015 - 06:56 AM

User is offline   Mark 

I'm waiting to read a report when we find out how much data is collected and sent even after "opting out"

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

If I wanted a truly free (free as in free and free as in lack of strings) then I'd get linux. Unfortunately, all my crap runs on Windows (and no, I don't fancy running PS and ZB through WINE).

• Polymancer

Nvidia have special Win10 drivers. Install them and most of the problems on this page should disappear. I had that until I downloaded them.

Person of Colour's colour is usually red with apoplexy, but we've got used to that by now :)

View PostMark., on 01 August 2015 - 07:36 AM, said:

I'm waiting to read a report when we find out how much data is collected and sent even after "opting out"

Yeah, me too. This shit is creepy.

View PostTea Monster, on 01 August 2015 - 08:09 AM, said:

Nvidia have special Win10 drivers. Install them and most of the problems on this page should disappear. I had that until I downloaded them.

Person of Colour's colour is usually red with apoplexy, but we've got used to that by now :)

It's a great cure for ED.

• Auramancer

View PostPerson of Color, on 10 June 2015 - 10:54 PM, said:

KEGA FUCKING FUSION. Literally does not work at all, and there is no work around. The unofficial patch for Windows 8 doesn't fix the jitters. DirectDraw is deprecated to fuck in this OS. If you need to run any legacy 2D stuff, dual boot Windows 7. Windows 8 also lacks GDI rendering, as does Windows 10.

Overall, would I recommend 10? Absolutely. But I'd recommend you dual boot your shit, this is the biggest leap we've had since Vista. I never thought a Genesis emulator would be the main reason to dual boot, but hopefully Steve Snake releases one final build of Fusion that plays nice with DWM, because GDI is dead as a fucking dodo.

Kega is working fine for me. Smooth as glass.

Posted Image

Here's my fusion.ini file if it helps.

Spoiler

BTW, a lot of people are talking about this tracking stuff. Disable the Telemetry service, and you'll get rid of most of it.

Lastly: http://www.forbes.co.../31/wifi-sense/

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 02 August 2015 - 03:20 PM

User is offline   Mark 

After reading the horror stories of the last couple of days I thought about a bit and realised

1. I don't do anything wireless
2. I never keep contact or address books for emails
3. I don't belong to any social networking sites
4. I don't play solitare

Win 10 doesn't sound so bad after all. But I won't be getting it anytime soon because I run Vista and would have to pay the big bucks to buy it.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 02 August 2015 - 04:13 PM

• Auramancer

Right now there's just a bunch of FUD and BS being perpetuated by laymen and journalists who don't know what they're talking about.... just like when every previous Windows version was freshly released.

People freaked out about Windows 7 initially, thinking it would spy on you everywhere, lock you out of your own files and contents with a special "DRM chip" and all sorts of crazy nonsense. There were plenty of people saying it was going to literally be hitler in OS form.

View PostPerson of Color, on 31 July 2015 - 09:17 PM, said:

I'll believe it when I see it. So far what I've seen and experienced, none of the bullshit that has been spouted is true in the slightest.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 03 August 2015 - 12:41 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

It's the in thing to do to bash Microsoft...but with good reason. They keep screwing up. But I'll wait until it affects me personally.

User is offline   Mark 

While I'm not a "Perry Paranoid" I am suprised at the people that shrugged it off saying only " I can opt out." They don't seem concerned in the least about what MS is trying to do to them and to the less than computer saavy people who will unknowingly give up their info by agreeing to everything without ever reading the 45 page user policy. I'm annoyed simply by the effort to try and gain this info and use it.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 03 August 2015 - 03:57 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMark., on 03 August 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

While I'm not a "Perry Paranoid" I am suprised at the people that shrugged it off saying only " I can opt out." They don't seem concerned in the least about what MS is trying to them and to the less than computer saavy people who will unknowingly give up their info by agreeing to everything without ever reading the 45 page user policy. I'm annoyed simply by the effort to try and gain this info and use it.

I'm one of those, shrugging.
I know people that have Google+, Facebook, Apple ID and so forth. Your IP stores all your Internet habits. The internet is frankly filled with snoops. Along comes MS with Win10 and their thirst for info; and now the world is up and arms claiming Big Brother is on the move. While the internet is filled with snoops, it is also one of the best sources to protect against snoops.

This post has been edited by Hank: 03 August 2015 - 02:34 PM

User is online   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View PostMark., on 03 August 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

While I'm not a "Perry Paranoid" I am suprised at the people that shrugged it off saying only " I can opt out." They don't seem concerned in the least about what MS is trying to them and to the less than computer saavy people who will unknowingly give up their info by agreeing to everything without ever reading the 45 page user policy. I'm annoyed simply by the effort to try and gain this info and use it.

Plus you can opt out of some things but not everything and some of the things you opt out of turn themselves back on after an unspecified amount of time without your intervention and some of them still run in the background even if you've told them not to.

When your operating system is logging keystrokes by default you know someone fucked up.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

So does anyone remember Scroogled?

User is offline   Mark 

Nope. I had to Google it. :)

I managed to get all of the original microsoft games from Windows 7 back, even space cadet pinball too. ages ago i found the package of games on some random forum and i dug it up and it works perfectly in Windows 10 and without ads. :)

This post has been edited by Rapture Rising: 03 August 2015 - 04:44 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMblackwell, on 03 August 2015 - 03:31 PM, said:

When your operating system is logging keystrokes by default you know someone fucked up.

... and that info goes to where?
It was one of the largest program developing efforts by Microsoft. And if you were part of this program, you were part of it. My version does not have this feature, Win 10 Pro, in fact my work comps are 99% off-line.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Jesus.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

You think this was done by accident?

Pretty safe to say that the closer we move towards a 1worldGov, which will have heavy technological control, much of it autonomous... the more your rights, freedoms and privacy are going to go out the window.

Some call it wearing a tinfoil hat, I sadly call it reality.

This post has been edited by Robman: 03 August 2015 - 05:22 PM

User is offline   Hank 

Windows 10 does not come with the keylogger - period.

But I bet we will talk World Government till page 42 :)

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I'll remember this thread so I can laugh in a few years when more people are using Windows 10. :)

Keylogger is just a buzzword. If they want to track what you do, they can do much more than just record keystrokes. But hey, there's this "solution on Reddit" that might calm your conditioned senses a bit.

This post has been edited by Sgt. Rarity: 03 August 2015 - 07:28 PM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Last weekend, I have upgraded my Win7 Home Premium license on my NC10 netbook (which is pretty weak) to Win10 to see what this is all about.

PROS:
+ Flawless and easy upgrade (at least for me) - everything still worked afterwards, including AV, exotic LAN device etc
+ Nice GUI with less annoying system sounds
+ Rather low system requirements - runs ok even with my 1.6 GHz netbook, 2GB RAM and super-slow hard drive (there is worse hardware to try it with, I guess)

CONS:
- Upgrade system sucks: Before you have upgraded at least once, you cannot make a clean install from scratch (which isn't recommended right now, anyway *) PLUS currently, you bind your product key to the system where you have performed the upgrade. You cannot use the product key on any other system after that. MS wants to change both hardware binding and upgrade/reinstall options, but unsure when.
- Privacy/data protection section is kinda shocking - too much stuff to op out of which is activated by default (be sure to stop Cortana from "getting to know" you - otherwise, she's gonna be pretty much everywhere)
- MS Edge browser (still) without support for extensions (announced to be added with a major update in fall)

There is probably more to say, but I will keep it at that. My personal verdict is: On my main PC, I will stick to Win 8.1 for the time being. There is no real reason to do the upgrade right away, even though all files have already been downloaded and are ready to be installed. Vital driver updates (e.g. for Creative Soundblaster cards) are still missing (even though latest drivers should still work) and a first service release has already been announced for early August. Right now, Win10 is surely finished enough to work with it, but polishing is missing. No doubt it'll turn into a great OS, but you are not making a mistake if you still give it some time to "evolve", as MS put it.

* In this German article, the GameStar (DE gaming mag) hardware section had an interview with Microsoft support who explicitly advised AGAINST doing a reinstallation of Win10 on the same system right after upgrading. While it should work since hardware ID remains the same, upgrade processes right now have priority regarding activations.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 04 August 2015 - 12:46 AM

• Polymancer

In the options, you can choose a fresh install. On the options, you chose "Erase Everything". I found out that will only erase your destination drive and leave any other drives in the machine untouched.

Yes, the new license scheme sucks. I'm still looking for a way to get to linux as I hate that "You pay for the license for the machine". No, I've paid for a License for the software, not the machine. Like MS needs more money.

Mblackwell - They didn't fuck up, that's the big problem. Marketing types want to be able to track your every move, and that goes double for the Police, Security types, etc. etc. etc. It's all been designed deliberately to do that.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 04 August 2015 - 05:11 AM

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options