• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Windows 10

User is offline   faked 

View PostTea Monster, on 12 June 2015 - 08:56 AM, said:

**cough** link **cough**

back up all your data first.

Thanks for the link,but I've already tried out 10 in my laptop.I liked it fine.Went back to 8.1 though.I plan on buying a new laptop with 10 already in it.Around August.This time I'll get a higher end laptop..Have the money already saved up so I can pay cash like usual.I'll keep my present one as a spare.I've had it about a year. :)

So what are your thoughts and impressions on Windows 10, now that it's out?

According to Lunick's tweet he had to fallback on the previous version of Windows b/c Steam, Firefox and the Windows Store is very glitchy. I think I better wait till all of the stuff being ironed out.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by DustFalcon85: 29 July 2015 - 05:18 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

Just to put into more detail:

-The Windows Store is really glitchy. I've never had a problem using it in Windows 8 aside from there being tons of shovelware on there but in Windows 10, it just seemed to crash at random points like checking the Downloads page or My Library. It was quick to use though so it wasn't so bad going back into the store. Got a laugh out of not being able to find the proper version of Minecraft by searching though.

-Steam wasn't playing nice either for some reason, I wasn't able to click on any friend notifications in the bottom right corner and at one point the top of Steam was showing Windows Classic UI for some reason. I didn't have this problem using the insider builds though so I'm not sure where this came from

-Firefox was having issues (with some sites I was using) relying on files that Windows 10 no longer had that Windows 8.1 had via download. I believe it will be getting them eventually but I didn't want to have to sit through and wait. I'll eventually reinstall Windows 10 closer to the cutoff date anyway

I really miss the charm bar to be honest and the rather large search/Cortana bar irritates me too but it is really solid otherwise. I had no compatibility problems with any games aside from apps from the Windows Store itself.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Just installed. I'll let you know. What were you trying to get from the windows store?

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

View PostLunick, on 29 July 2015 - 05:23 AM, said:

-Firefox was having issues

Use chrome. :)

This post has been edited by Sgt. Rarity: 29 July 2015 - 08:31 AM

• Polymancer

LOL, Edge is IE, but just 'chromed up'. At least it's a lot less annoying than IE. I had some problems with Graphics drivers to start with, but they got sorted out pretty easily.

The start menu is a mess finding anything is way too hit and miss compared to any other version of windows. It seems to be a lot snappier without all the Aero interface. I like the larger overlay notifications, from the calendar to the volume bar.

I have to get notepad from the windows store? Dafuq? I've not used all my software in anger yet. Most of it loads OK.

User is offline   Mark 

I'm watching youtube vids about win10 and I see a huge glitch in my opinion. Downloads start right away without giving the user a choice of folder to download to. I have never used Windows default folders like Mydocuments or Myanything and don't want to start now

EDIT: and I hope the clutter at the top of the screen in File Explorer mode is customizable. Very clunky taking up lots of screen area.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 29 July 2015 - 04:04 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

View PostMark., on 29 July 2015 - 03:24 PM, said:

I'm watching youtube vids about win10 and I see a huge glitch in my opinion. Downloads start right away without giving the user a choice of folder to download to. I have never used Windows default folders like Mydocuments or Myanything and don't want to start now

But, that's every browser ever?
I always have to disable the automatic "save to Downloads folder" option whenever I need to install a browser in a clean windows.
Unless you mean you can't change that option on Edge...

This post has been edited by LkMax: 29 July 2015 - 05:27 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Is it possible to use Chrome on Win 10? :)

User is offline   Mark 

According to the videos I watched, yes.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I had no clue you guys would take Edge seriously. Downloading Chrome is the first thing I do on any fresh OS install. As far as I'm concerned, the Internet doesn't work without Chrome and IE only exists for typing "chrome" in google search and hitting download.

This post has been edited by Sgt. Rarity: 29 July 2015 - 05:52 PM

User is offline   Mark 

As far as I can tell the only thing Chrome would do for me is to stop me from receiving those messages telling me I'm running an outdated browser. I haven't really seen a need for anything else that Chrome offers.

User is offline   Jeff 

Firefox was slow when I upgraded to Windows 10, but seems that doing a fresh install fixed it.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJeff, on 29 July 2015 - 11:46 PM, said:

Firefox was slow when I upgraded to Windows 10, but seems that doing a fresh install fixed it.

I never used IE, but in Windows 10 I have tried Edge and it seems fine. Firefox feels old and creaky. Not sure whether it's as good as Chrome yet, but I'm tempted to use Edge just to avoid being one of the cool kids who autohate MS.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Working fine without a glitch for me. Running very well, runs all my games, even the old ones.

Better than 8.1, faster than Windows 7. I think we have a hit.

User is offline   Mark 

Is it a painless upgrade or do sound, video, camera, printer, scanner, etc...drivers need to be messed with? I have older hardware so I'm concerned.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 30 July 2015 - 01:53 PM

• Polymancer

I"m not taking edge seriously. I just loled as they had basically reverse engineered chrome to create Edge. I launched it (to download Chome - LOL) and seriously had to look twice as I thought that MS had bundled Chrome with Win 10! It's made by the same people who brought you the 24/7 security panic that is Flash, so I'm waiting for the inevitable slew of security flaws to be revealed.

I had driver problems with my Nvidia card, but it sorted itself out after downloading the latest Win 10 drivers and rebooting. Apart from that, stuff like Media player is missing, but I hardly used that anyway. I had to install tablet drivers as Windows didn't automatically detect them, but once installed, they seem to be working OK.

One thing you could do is wait a few days and then do a search on your older kit with 'Windows 10' in the search. If there are any problems, someone somewhere will squawk.

Oh, and Sgt. Rarity, this is for you

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 30 July 2015 - 02:46 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I'll have to do more research now. I had read that Vista users could use the free upgrade but today I ran across 2 website reviews that said Vista users have to pay to upgrade.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

How much space do you need free to install it if you're planning on keeping a backup of your older OS? I still haven't gotten my upgrade email yet. Reserved it already, though.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 July 2015 - 03:02 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 30 July 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

How much space do you need free to install it if you're planning on keeping a backup of your older OS? I still haven't gotten my upgrade email yet. Reserved it already, though.

I'd imagine how much space space is required would be relative to what the previous install consumes. As for how long windows holds onto the ability to restore to your previous Operating System in the event of problems, I heard Windows automatically deletes the old system recovery information after 30 days. Yikes! Shouldn't that decision ultimately be up to the end user? I auto hate Microsoft they've lost their edge as a leader and they have insane licensing policies, politics & pricing.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 30 July 2015 - 03:28 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Geez. That's different from what I'd heard up until this point. Albeit, from third party sources (which were, however, quoting official sources). That's dirty. Oh well, I still have my Win7 Install disc anyway. I've been told this upgrade doesn't invalidate previous Win keys, that's still true right?

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 30 July 2015 - 03:07 PM, said:

Geez. That's different from what I'd heard up until this point. Albeit, from third party sources (which were, however, quoting official sources). That's dirty. Oh well, I still have my Win7 Install disc anyway. I've been told this upgrade doesn't invalidate previous Win keys, that's still true right?

Yes, Windows 10 upgrade has nothing to do with previous Windows Keys. They issue you a new product key, which can be used to do a fresh install should you opt to do a clean install or an upgrade.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 30 July 2015 - 03:32 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Here's a question I can't find an answer for, what happens to my Win10 key if I roll back to Win7? Will I retain the key and the ability to install it later down the road? (after the Jul 29th 2016 deadline)

• Polymancer

I have Windows installed on an SSD which lists 111 GB of space. I have 30 GB free after installing. All my progs have gone onto a separate drive. There will be some over head with temp files, crap that gets put into the user directory, etc. That should give you some idea.

What I was worried about is what happens after the year is out and I reinstall, get a new MB, etc. etc. Are the nice people at MS going to insist I pay 100 bucks to reinstall my machine? I've heard some crazy stories about people who bought a license for 8 and MS insists that it was for that machine only and want you to pay again for another machine. This site says no. It also says that 'Veeeestah' users are SOL with the upgrade. You'd think that after having suffered Vista for all these years, they would throw the poor bowbs a bone? Sheesh! You have one year to find an OEM Win 7 CD somewhere and upgrade!

User is offline   Mark 

That seems like a high number TM. I went looking on websites and win7 was reported by users to be anywhere from 17-30GB with bare install and hardware drivers. Win 10 must be bloated because of having features for desktop and mobile uses. And Gadzooks!! how long did that take to download?

This post has been edited by Mark.: 30 July 2015 - 04:30 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostTea Monster, on 30 July 2015 - 03:50 PM, said:

What I was worried about is what happens after the year is out and I reinstall, get a new MB, etc. etc. Are the nice people at MS going to insist I pay 100 bucks to reinstall my machine?

Yea technically if you replace the motherboard that is like a new computer in the eyes of Microsoft and to be genuine they would want you to purchase a new OS for that system board.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 30 July 2015 - 03:44 PM, said:

Here's a question I can't find an answer for, what happens to my Win10 key if I roll back to Win7? Will I retain the key and the ability to install it later down the road? (after the Jul 29th 2016 deadline)

I'm not Microsoft but I have a feeling that they won't unlicense a product once the product key has been issued. So if you qualify for the upgrade because you have a product which meets their requirements for the free upgrade once that key has been assigned to you I think it can be used later on down the road without expiring. You just need to make sure they send you the product key within the first year of the offer while it's still a free upgrade.

Typically what happens with product keys is:

If significant hardware changes occur to a system where more than 6 or 7 physical core device drivers change in your system, you will be forced to generate a new installation ID before you can re-activate the same key. Basically you need to explain the circumstances to a Microsoft activation rep before activation will be successful again.

If the product has been activated on 50 different hardware configurations (computers) they will black list the product key at the clearing house so it can't be activated again and before you can reactivate it you have to go through a lengthy process to explain why the key should be de-listed and there is a special Microsoft website devoted to this process.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 30 July 2015 - 05:28 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

And if I reserved my copy of Win10 already with the upgrade notification in Win7, is that a guarantee at a free Win10 key no matter what?

Also, I just found that the Win10 download is only 3GB.....??

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 July 2015 - 10:30 PM

User is offline   Mark 

^ Sounds like Win10 leaves a lot of Win7 intact.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 31 July 2015 - 03:31 AM

User is offline   Jeff 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 30 July 2015 - 09:23 PM, said:

Also, I just found that the Win10 download is only 3GB.....??

That would be 3 GB compressed. During setup, it has to uncompress the files and put them where they're supposed to be. I think Windows 7 setup refers to this as "expanding files".

This post has been edited by Jeff: 31 July 2015 - 12:37 PM

User is offline   LkMax 

I'm surprised...
I've been using Win10 on my notebook for 2 days and I already like it. The interface is miles better then Windows 8, there's some interesting apps and integrations (that could be from win8 but I uninstalled it very quicly to remember), the tiles on the new start menu are very customizable (you can even remove them completely if you want). I will keep my main rig with windows 7 though, at least for a little while. There's still some bugs and stuff that will probably get better after a few months, but I believe Microsoft is in the right path.

PS: The command prompt now can (finally!) be maximized, they surely took their time to implement that feature haha.

This post has been edited by LkMax: 31 July 2015 - 06:05 PM

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options