• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Plus  "feedback and general discussion of Duke Plus"

User is offline   Mia Max 

Hallo Trooper Dan!
I'd like to ask if it is possible to have an alternativ option for guns to prevent flash lights from fireing guns?
In huge arenas it ruins all the atmosphere during fireing a gun when the whole area shines bright.

I've read in the eduke32 thread that this might be possible, if I understood it correctly.

Knock Knock, somebody at home?

If you wish, I can do it for you.
Just tell me what to do ;)

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMia Max, on 16 May 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

Knock Knock, somebody at home?

If you wish, I can do it for you.
Just tell me what to do ;)

Adding a few lines of code to get rid of the flashing would be easy enough. But making it optional is a lot more work, because the code would have to be triggered only when the option is selected, it would need to be added to a menu, and saved with the player's preferences.

I would much prefer it if there were an option in EDuke32 itself (not DukePlus) to disable the flashing or make it localized (in the case of Polymer), since this is an issue for the game in general and not just this particular mod. So that is why I am not eager to do anything about it at this time.

Okay.
Thanks anyway.
I will ask for it in the eduke32 thread then.

User is offline   OctoBane 

Hello all,this is my first post,I want to say that dukeplus is awesome,but I have found a bug with the Blown fuses map that's included.The gravity gun in the warehouse near the hydroelectric dam,or whatever it is, now replaced by a Steroids pickup,the gravity gun,or,shrinker is missing.So is there any way to remedy this?Thanks

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostOctoBane, on 06 June 2013 - 03:16 AM, said:

Hello all,this is my first post,I want to say that dukeplus is awesome,but I have found a bug with the Blown fuses map that's included.The gravity gun in the warehouse near the hydroelectric dam,or whatever it is, now replaced by a Steroids pickup,the gravity gun,or,shrinker is missing.So is there any way to remedy this?Thanks
Sounds more like a patch to improve gameplay balance to me. If you want the old version you'll most likely need to dig up an older DukePlus release and extract a previous version of the map.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

this one's either the original release or pretty close to it

http://www.scent-88....blown/blown.php

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 06 June 2013 - 04:41 AM, said:

this one's either the original release or pretty close to it

http://www.scent-88....blown/blown.php

Disclaimer: the updates that Gambini made to the map included bug fixes and may also have been in response to changes in DukePlus, so using an old version of the map might result in things not working (e.g. the player getting stuck).

User is offline   OctoBane 

Thanks for the help ,and I will try out those older versions.

User is offline   Skyrilla 

Thanks LeoD, the nixfix returned the Devastator in all its glory. ' u '

So, here is my map Frauenstein.

It is Beta, because no one else has tested it yet.
So please check it out and do some criticism.

There are 2 zip files that include the map, def and the textures.

Place the TEXTURES folder there: \DukePlus\DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES\GRAPHICS\
and dukeplus.def there: \DukePlus\

Of course, you need the Dukeplus mod.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I'll download duke plus again and check your map out :P

I have noticed some bugs in the map and some textures are missing.

I want to upload a final version at the weekend.

User is online   t800 

View PostMia Max, on 08 August 2013 - 03:01 AM, said:

Nice work Mia Max! I see that you have penchant in building medieval/castle styled maps, because you also made Haunted Castle! map which is already included in DukePlus episode. :P It is great to see new fresh user map made for DukePlus, so fortunately not everybody forgot about it nowadays. :)
May I ask why is it named Fraunstein? Is it because castle is decorated with paintings of women (frauen in german), that means "Womens stone/rock"? :D Those nice paintings confused me a bit because they are clearly made in asian style but IMO this is europian medieval castle, so I dont think they mix up well with theme (but I do like those added hi-res textures).

You didnt include any readme or .TXT file with it so I had to experiment with settings. From my experience this map definitely must be played in polymer (but I played with disabled dynamics lights to not diminish FPS) due to significant usage of TROR which causes excessive HOMs and visual glitches in polymost. But I sadly still encoutered some of them even in polymer. For example first stairs shows some visual glitches and enforcer that is right next to it is bit bugged - often he cant hit you, nor you can hit him. Also after you climb those first stairs and visit nearest tower next to first tower which iincludes health upgrade in its entrance hall, it also has visual glitches, as you can sometimes see trough through floor. I played at Come get some difficulty, but I see that you didnt implement any differences between skills so it didnt matter. During playing I had enabled all Weapon and Player (except Realistic running, sorry Dan but it sucks) DukePlus additional features and also enabled Advanced enemy AI and Supertroopers. I think that Advanced enemy AI feature caused first Battlelord to climb down all the way down to beginning (I retreated down after he spotted me), I take as this wasnt supposed to happen, right? :) I havent got any problems with low health cause Supertroopers dropped atomic health after death and I met like 6 of them. So I did unintenionally break game balance of your map, hmm? But I presume you will take care of it as you will most propably lock and force some DukePlus features after you finish it as you did previously in your Haunted castle! map, right? Odd thing is that map stats mentions zero secrets but I found some hidden items that could theoretically count into secrets, so is this intentional decision (I see you did it same way in Haunted castle! map)? Finishing map took me approximately 40 mins, but I didnt rush and tried to explore everything. I was missing shrinker/expander, RPG and pipebombs (got only one!), were they hidden in some secret place?

It has nice level design, art direction and mood (I like usage of blue mist). I like its vertical layout so enemies can attack player from different height levels. But I think some long corridors were too empty and would take good use of some added decorations. Also first courtyard was bit empty, maybe add some trees there? I think its sole purpose is to be sideway location unncesary to visit for progression, but I am "explorer" type of player so I appreciete it. Two buildings that were at end of bridge were very empty, almost felt unfinished, but this is beta so I dont worry. Can Alien queen leave lake? I tried to lure her out but she refused to leave it. I take it as it is intentional design to encourage player to take shelter/cover in nearby houses to heal and ressuply? But this poses problem: I found out that it is much better to confront her head-on from very beginning because she immediatelly starts to spam protector drones and once they unfortunately managed to surround and trap me in one of those houses. So I think maybe it would be good idea to make houses windows passable so players wont get stuck.

At end I found this map very enjoyable experince, so great piece of work!
I posted my impressions pretty late, heh? But better late then never, so I hope it will somehow help you. After you finish it, maybe you could ask Trooper Dan to release new version that would include it. Good luck with it! :P

Thanks for your review :P
That will help me to make the map complete.

May I ask why is it named Fraunstein?
It is a village nearby my home :)
But it doesn't mean anything. I could have named it Ramsau, Breitenau, Leonstein or anything else :P
I just wanted to give it an austrian name.

You didnt include any readme or .TXT file with it so I had to experiment with settings.
Ups, sorry :D A readme will be included in the final version. Just have to experiment what settings can be used.

For example first stairs shows some visual glitches and enforcer that is right next to it is bit bugged - often he cant hit you, nor you can hit him.
Yes, this is a problem sometimes, but not always. I think, this is an TROR issue.

Also after you climb those first stairs and visit nearest tower next to first tower which iincludes health upgrade in its entrance hall, it also has visual glitches, as you can sometimes see trough through floor.
I don't have this glitch. I'll have a look on it.

I played at Come get some difficulty, but I see that you didnt implement any differences between skills so it didnt matter.
A difficult mode is planed :D

I think that Advanced enemy AI feature caused first Battlelord to climb down all the way down to beginning (I retreated down after he spotted me), I take as this wasnt supposed to happen, right?
No, this isn't supposed to happen.

Odd thing is that map stats mentions zero secrets but I found some hidden items that could theoretically count into secrets,
Okay, those places will be changed into secret areas.

I was missing shrinker/expander, RPG and pipebombs (got only one!), were they hidden in some secret place?
These weapons are missing. I can add some shrinker/expander and pipebombs, but no RPG, because it causes lots of lags when fireing.

But I think some long corridors were too empty and would take good use of some added decorations.
Thats true. I wanted to add much more enemies. But after building 2 years on this map with much and long pauses, I decided to release a Beta to get some critiques.

Can Alien queen leave lake? I tried to lure her out but she refused to leave it. I take it as it is intentional design to encourage player to take shelter/cover in nearby houses to heal and ressuply? But this poses problem: I found out that it is much better to confront her head-on from very beginning because she immediatelly starts to spam protector drones and once they unfortunately managed to surround and trap me in one of those houses. So I think maybe it would be good idea to make houses windows passable so players wont get stuck.
I have had the same thoughts. I'll add 'back doors' for the houses.

At end I found this map very enjoyable experince, so great piece of work!
Thank you :D

BTW, you mentioned that those chinese paintings would not match.
Well, I'll look for some old paintings that could match to austrian castles. I love such paintings :)

This post has been edited by Mia Max: 10 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

User is offline   Forge 

the paintings were fine.
good architecture, layout, and trimming.
many under worked and barren areas. alot of the map just seems empty.
ambient sounds are needed
don't let using polymer make you lazy. walls and sectors still need shading
if you're going to leave all your enemy blue, add more ammo
seems like there's no gain to go out of your way to get the freezer, you actually waste all of its ammo and then some if you decide to fight the spawned baddies
nice cut scene
half the map doesn't need to be visited at this point
no puzzles and no locks may fly for an episode, but not really for a single player map

This post has been edited by Forge: 10 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

@Trooper Dan:
There is a problem with the hitscan of the tree models.
While it is correct for blocking the player and projectiles like rockets and firelaser, the clipdistance doesn't work correctly for pistol, shotgun and chaingun bullets. It is far to large, so you can't shot enemies behind trees.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMia Max, on 11 August 2013 - 02:46 AM, said:

@Trooper Dan:
There is a problem with the hitscan of the tree models.
While it is correct for blocking the player and projectiles like rockets and firelaser, the clipdistance doesn't work correctly for pistol, shotgun and chaingun bullets. It is far to large, so you can't shot enemies behind trees.

It sounds like there is a mismatch between the model scale and the size of the sprites (or dummysprites) for the tree tiles. The sprite size determines how they block projectiles. If you were to disable models or run in software mode, I'll bet you would see that the tree sprites are actually huge.

Changing the model scale (in the defs) would be a bad idea at this point, since it would require shrinking the trees in all the maps they are in. What might work is adding or changing dummytile definitions for the models with smaller dimensions. IIRC, the trees have actual 8-bit sprites in the .art files, and it might be necessary to delete them to make that work :-(

I have added dummytile in Dukeplus.def and it seems to work fine.
But will be there a problem when the trees are displayed as sprite instead of model?

This post has been edited by Mia Max: 11 August 2013 - 10:26 AM

Hallo Trooper Dan!

Can we have an option to turn off player dynamic lights spawn, please?

And can we make an Dukeplus update including my new map + textures when I've finished it?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMia Max, on 14 August 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

Hallo Trooper Dan!

Can we have an option to turn off player dynamic lights spawn, please?

And can we make an Dukeplus update including my new map + textures when I've finished it?

Yes, certainly.

View PostMia Max, on 08 August 2013 - 03:01 AM, said:

It is Beta, because no one else has tested it yet.
So please check it out and do some criticism.

There are 2 zip files that include the map, def and the textures.

Place the TEXTURES folder there: \DukePlus\DUKEPLUS_RESOURCES\GRAPHICS\
and dukeplus.def there: \DukePlus\

Of course, you need the Dukeplus mod.

So, here is the updated version.
Now, there are secret places and gameplay has changed + some ambient sound effects :P
Hope you like it, and please report bugs.

BTW, the map still needs Dukeplus, HRP, Ploymer and models turned on :)
It is defenitaly a map for faster computers.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Mia Max: 20 August 2013 - 01:30 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

Do you want to modify the hallway map to add a portal to Frauenstein for the official DukePlus update? I would need to change a few lines of code to make it work, but it's not much trouble.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 20 August 2013 - 10:09 AM, said:

Do you want to modify the hallway map to add a portal to Frauenstein for the official DukePlus update? I would need to change a few lines of code to make it work, but it's not much trouble.

Yes, sure :P

I still want to wait for some criticism about this map and make some little changes if needed.
The texture pack is complete.

About the trees:
I've added dummytile to give them correct hitpoints, but now, they won't show up correctly when used as sprites.
I'll make a copy of the trees, so people can use them either as sprites or as models.

User is offline   Forge 

there's still several plain, unadorned, empty rooms/hallways

by the time i ran into the second supertroop i was almost out of ammo - being such an open floorplan it's hard to get ammo placement where the player needs it. so i ended up running away and luring it around to follow me so i could go back to places unvisited until i finally found a stash

by the time i got out of the back of the castle i was almost dead because of the way i encountered said supertroop, and couldn't get past the first mini-battelord on the platform overlooking the bridge - had to cheat at this point

still a severe lack of health through the rest of the map from that point on

getting back to the finish it was easier to just run than stand an fight (also lack of health didn't encourage taking on the tough encounters)

the wood planks on the first tower can be clipped through - so the player doesn't have to go to the second tower to use the canon to blow them up - i think it was a fluke that i jumped from the ladder in a certain direction at a certain angle and it let me go through - i doubt if there's anything that can be done to fix it without a complete rework, and it's probably not worth the effort anyway

the upper ladder on the first tower seems to have issues with being climbed

the wood gate doesn't open anymore (where the second cutscene kicks in)- intentional?

my rig is pretty mediocre and i had minimal problems using polymer lights (but i didn't use hrp)

This post has been edited by Forge: 20 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for your post.

The problem about the plain, unadorned, empty rooms/hallways is, that the map has already reached max walls limit and every change is difficult as I have to delate walls first.
So, there won't be any changes, because I'm getting tired of building on this map :)

I've thought that there's too much ammo and medi in this map :)
But there's generaly a problem, when the creator tests his own map, cause he knows exactly how to play the map.

"the wood gate doesn't open anymore (where the second cutscene kicks in)- intentional?"
No, that shouldn't be like that.
How did you get through the map if this gate didn't open?

EDIT:
"the wood planks on the first tower can be clipped through - so the player doesn't have to go to the second tower to use the canon to blow them up - i think it was a fluke that i jumped from the ladder in a certain direction at a certain angle and it let me go through - i doubt if there's anything that can be done to fix it without a complete rework, and it's probably not worth the effort anyway"
I think, I've managed to fix this :P

There was also a problem about the second tower. It was possible to get inside without breaking the door - got fixed.

"the upper ladder on the first tower seems to have issues with being climbed"
What kind of issues did you have there?

This post has been edited by Mia Max: 20 August 2013 - 10:57 PM

User is offline   Forge 

there probably are enough supplies, but they're all lumped together in certain locations - which is fine making the player depend on what they have until the next stash is found. the issue being the openness of the map- the player has just as good of chance of running into supplies as running into some supertroop and not having the supplies to sustain a fight

i jumped over the gate to progress

the upper ladder would let me climb a few lower rungs then i would stop climbing. had to jump a few times to get to the top

as far as the hallways, they wouldn't need much. just a few non-blocking wall sconces or some such decoration

This post has been edited by Forge: 21 August 2013 - 04:53 AM

Well, I've removed one SuperTropper. It's hardly to survive if you run in an second one.

You mean the very first gate? It won't open if you've activated second camera?

User is offline   Forge 

the very first short wooden gate

exit the tunnel at the start
cutscene
cross the field to the tower
cutscene
gate

in the first version this is where the first cutscene was and then the gate would open
now the gate won't open, had to jump over it to go to the back of the tower and go either up or down a ramp

i basically ran into those supertroopers (red & green?) back to back. after the beat down i received i ended up walking out of the castle with 8 hp - managed to kill everything around that wooden bridge and immediate vicinity, but the mini-battlelord finally got me with some splash damage from mortar rounds.

This post has been edited by Forge: 21 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

User is offline   Gambini 

If there are plans of a mini update I´d like to point that the current DPCB map is corrupt. This probably happened after Danm tried to fix the out-of-grid issue by moving the sectors in LeBuild. I still have the last "official" version and it would be good if it replaced the current one.

Share this topic:

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options