Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostDeeperThought, on May 11 2009, 06:07 PM, said:

People who are actively making stuff for the game (maps, mods, models) have been remarkably successful at getting copies of polymer. Coincidence? I think not. ;)

How did Zchri9 get a hold of it then?
Coincidence? I think not. ;)

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

The Commander, Parkar sent it to me.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Probably by smoking excessive amounts of pole...

View PostDeeperThought, on May 10 2009, 11:07 PM, said:

People who are actively making stuff for the game (maps, mods, models) have been remarkably successful at getting copies of polymer. Coincidence? I think not. ;)

Well I haven't contributed anything to the HRP in quite a while (aside from the odd texture update here and there). but there's no harm in asking, eh? I'm sure it will be worth the wait, the new renderer looks bad ass.

This post has been edited by Hectic-Zombie: 10 May 2009 - 11:33 PM

User is offline   Piano Man 

View PostYatta, on May 11 2009, 01:18 PM, said:

God I love Polymer. It's our new DNF.

Here's a super high quality shot I just took:

http://img93.imagesh...433/polymer.jpg

WHY MUST YOU TEASE ME LIKE THAT!!!

I have a 1920 x 1200 monitor and I'm DYING to play this.... I MUST HAVE THIS!!!!!

We'll all get our chance to use the new engine once all the optimisations are finished, and any bugs fixed. It may be released at the end of this month. (If we're lucky...)

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I discovered Polymer actually does work on my card.....it just doesn't work when there's actually any lights anywhere. It just won't start Episode one because of the explosions from Duke's ship which probably emit lights. I started Episode 3 successfully, though. But as soon as I went to jump off the building and that Enforcer appeared (the teleporting of which probably emits light) the game hung. Well, it doesn't really hang it just takes FOREVER. Like a framerate of 0.0000000000001. Well not really framerate either because the game isn't actually playing. It seems like the game is just pausing until it can figure itself out...the music still plays but the rest of the game doesn't. I've never ever seen any lights successfully ;). Oh well...

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 11 May 2009 - 08:20 AM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

You can always set `r_pr_lighting 0` in the console.

What's your card? Also, please attach eduke32.log after running `glinfo` in the console.

View PostDeeperThought, on May 11 2009, 08:07 AM, said:

If Hectic Kev has not contributed, who has? Some of the best looking textures in the HRP are from him. Come on!

• The Sarien Encounter

'Plagman' said:

You can always set `r_pr_lighting 0` in the console.

What's your card? Also, please attach eduke32.log after running `glinfo` in the console.

I tried it and the game at least runs a little better...though without lights...so that defeats the whole purpose. But it still really seizes up sometimes. I discovered that it won't seize up (framerate returns to normal) if you don't look at the fence (or the sky perhaps?) at the beginning of Hollywood Holocaust. And also the explosive tanks and the ship and everything (all sprites) on the roof are visible through walls (through the box and the skylight thing).

I have an ATI X1650 Pro AGP card. Here's the log after glinfo:

OpenGL Information:
 Version:  2.1.8395 Release
 Vendor:   ATI Technologies Inc.
 Renderer: Radeon X1650 Series
 Maximum anisotropy:      16.0
 BGRA textures:           supported
 Non-x textures:        supported
 Texure compression:      supported
 Clamp-to-edge:           supported
 Multisampling:           not supported
 Nvidia multisample hint: not supported
 ARBfp fragment programs: supported
 Depth textures:          supported
 Shadow textures:         supported
 Frame Buffer Objects:    supported
 Rectangle textures:      supported
 Multitexturing:          supported
 env_combine:             supported
 Vertex Buffer Objects:   supported
 Shader Model 4:          not supported
 Extensions:
   GL_AMD_performance_monitor GL_ARB_depth_texture
   GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_fragment_program
   GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader
   GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_half_float_pixel
   GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_map_buffer_range
   GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture
   GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object
   GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite
   GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod
   GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shadow
   GL_ARB_shadow_ambient GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp
   GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map
   GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
   GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3
   GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat
   GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_rectangle
   GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_array_object
   GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program
   GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos
   GL_ATI_draw_buffers GL_ATI_envmap_bumpmap
   GL_ATI_fragment_shader GL_ATI_meminfo
   GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc
   GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_float
   GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra
   GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate
   GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax
   GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array
   GL_EXT_copy_texture GL_EXT_draw_range_elements
   GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit
   GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXT_framebuffer_object
   GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays
   GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_pixels
   GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal
   GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color
   GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_wrap
   GL_EXT_subtexture GL_EXT_texgen_reflection
   GL_EXT_texture3D GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc
   GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp
   GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_env_combine
   GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic
   GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp
   GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_rectangle
   GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_vertex_array
   GL_KTX_buffer_region GL_NV_blend_square
   GL_NV_conditional_render GL_NV_texgen_reflection
   GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp
   GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_WIN_swap_hint

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 11 May 2009 - 09:07 AM

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

View PostAnother Duke Fan, on May 11 2009, 06:51 PM, said:

If Hectic Kev has not contributed, who has? Some of the best looking textures in the HRP are from him. Come on!

Well, you have to ask for it at least ;). Besides I don't think the comment was suggesting anything regarding Kev.

@Hectic: Check your PM's.

View PostParkar, on May 11 2009, 06:58 PM, said:

Well, you have to ask for it at least ;). Besides I don't think the comment was suggesting anything regarding Kev.

Thank you Parkar, I just want to be fair, that is all. I will try Polymer first when it becomes available for anyone and yes, I am really looking forward to it...

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostAnother Duke Fan, on May 11 2009, 09:51 AM, said:

And no one suggested otherwise. Come on!

I had been under the impression that Polymer was being given to people actively developing stuff, which makes sense because we need to know what we are developing for. The fact is, a lot of copies are now going around and no serious effort is being made to keep it under wraps. That's fine by me, I really don't care. However, it would be nice to have some guidelines.

User is offline   Jokke_r 

Polymer works fine on my comp, runs just as smooth as polymost, but then again i don't have any of the lightpacks or whatever.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

View PostMusicallyInspired, on May 11 2009, 06:53 PM, said:

I have an ATI X1650 Pro AGP card.

Ah, well; nobody's perfect, I guess.
Try installing the latest driver for that? I guess 9.05 or 9.04 or whatever.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on May 11 2009, 05:53 PM, said:

I have an ATI X1650 Pro AGP card.

Mine's an Nvidia GeForce 7900 GS AGP.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostPlagman, on May 11 2009, 01:26 PM, said:

Ah, well; nobody's perfect, I guess.
Try installing the latest driver for that? I guess 9.05 or 9.04 or whatever.

I know. ;) I'll check to see if I have the latest drivers but I doubt it'll work. Bloody ATI. Why did I have to make the mistake of buying an ATI card.....twice??? Well, the first time it was an ATI 9800 Pro All in Wonder card and it came with Half-Life 2 and Morrowind. So I guess that was a good thing. But I shouldn't have gotten this dumb X1650. I've been haggling with it in Linux for two years now. I'm never getting ATI again. My next card is going to be nVidia. Setting my eyes on a GeForce 9500 GT I think. But that won't happen until I get a new computer with a PCI-E capable mobo.

EDIT: It seems ATI has stopped supporting my card regularly and is now in the legacy category. I can only get the 9.03 driver which I think is what I already have.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 11 May 2009 - 12:03 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostMusicallyInspired, on May 12 2009, 07:40 AM, said:

EDIT: It seems ATI has stopped supporting my card regularly and is now in the legacy category. I can only get the 9.03 driver which I think is what I already have.

I don't know what your smoking, but your card is under the Radeon tab.

Posted Image

EDIT: Oh I see your using Linux but it's still under the Radeon tab, choose the X1600 series.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 11 May 2009 - 05:00 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostDeeperThought, on May 8 2009, 01:00 PM, said:

I don't have a model of Duke's hand holding a flashlight to put in the hud. I suppose I could make the flashlight hover in front of him, like the flares, and then I would only need a flashlight model.

Sounds very sweet. Is there any way to put a texture, or lightmap onto spots so that we could get that effect of seeing the imperfections in the plastic lens and reflector cup of the flashlight? If so, its Doom 3 quality flashlight here we come.

That reminds me of something else. Whats happening with HUD models? Is the HUD model system being redone to get rid of all the little flaws that cause the errors in the shotgun?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTea Monster, on May 11 2009, 08:45 PM, said:

That reminds me of something else. Whats happening with HUD models? Is the HUD model system being redone to get rid of all the little flaws that cause the errors in the shotgun?

Back at 3DR, I recall Plagman stating that HUD stuff currently still uses polymost, but that he would eventually switch it over to polymer and have it lit as though it were part of the game world.

User is offline   Moggimus 

@Teamonster

I was talking with DT, and he suggested I post this. How about instead of (or an alternative to) the flashlight we do a Zippo lighter? You could model it up nice with a signature Nuke symbol and nice shiny chrome!

I mean, Duke has to light his cigars somehow, right? =)

This post has been edited by moggimus: 11 May 2009 - 10:39 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postmoggimus, on May 11 2009, 11:38 PM, said:

@Teamonster

I was talking with DT, and he suggested I post this. How about instead of (or an alternative to) the flashlight we do a Zippo lighter? You could model it up nice with a signature Nuke symbol and nice shiny chrome!

I mean, Duke has to light his cigars somehow, right? =)

I like that idea as a alternative to the flares (because honestly, flares aren't very Duke like). Of course, the lighters would have to be unrealistically bright to be useful.

The cool thing about a flashlight is that it makes use of the spot light effect. There's no way a lighter can be a spot light.

But as some have noted, I really don't need a model for the flashlight. In fact, it would suck to have to put away your weapon and get it out each time you wanted to use it. It could be like some games where you turn it on and the light is just there while you still hold your weapon (maybe he has an attachment to his nightvision goggles?)

User is offline   ryche 

I can't wait to see this released.

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

View PostTea Monster, on May 12 2009, 05:45 AM, said:

Sounds very sweet. Is there any way to put a texture, or lightmap onto spots so that we could get that effect of seeing the imperfections in the plastic lens and reflector cup of the flashlight? If so, its Doom 3 quality flashlight here we come.

Talked to Plagman about that just a few days ago and it's on the future feature list. Will be real useful for mappers to get cool looking cheap shadows in a lot of cases. Not to mention multicoloured spotlights.

View PostParkar, on May 11 2009, 09:58 AM, said:

Thanks Parkar. Got it. ;)

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I love the lighter idea. But as Deeper Thought says, you would need to fill it with magnesium to get the right amount of light out of it in real life. Then the hand would have to have some kind of asbestos glove on it and the lighter would have to be made of Beryllium or something similar to stop from melting. But hey, its a game, what the heck! It would look cool, which is the main thing! I'll come up with something though and I'll PM DT when its done ;)

The only other 'problem' with that is that the point lights don't cast shadows. You could do an array of spots to fake it, but you might get shadow artifacts and so forth. Also with enough to fake a sphere of light, you may get a performance hit on the frame rate. DT would have to have a play with a setup and see how it goes.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 12 May 2009 - 04:58 AM

User is offline   Moggimus 

View PostTea Monster, on May 12 2009, 08:51 AM, said:

I love the lighter idea. But as Deeper Thought says, you would need to fill it with magnesium to get the right amount of light out of it in real life. Then the hand would have to have some kind of asbestos glove on it and the lighter would have to be made of Beryllium or something similar to stop from melting. But hey, its a game, what the heck! It would look cool, which is the main thing! I'll come up with something though and I'll PM DT when its done ;)

The only other 'problem' with that is that the point lights don't cast shadows. You could do an array of spots to fake it, but you might get shadow artifacts and so forth. Also with enough to fake a sphere of light, you may get a performance hit on the frame rate. DT would have to have a play with a setup and see how it goes.

Yeah I think a point will do fine. The flashlight can be a spot though.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostThe Commander, on May 11 2009, 07:57 PM, said:

I don't know what your smoking, but your card is under the Radeon tab.

EDIT: Oh I see your using Linux but it's still under the Radeon tab, choose the X1600 series.

Yes, and that takes you to the Legacy Display Driver download page. Which is 9.3-only. And I'm not using Linux (not right now, anyway).

Says this:

AMD has moved a number of DX9 ATI Radeon™ graphics accelerators products to a legacy driver support structure. This change impacts Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Linux distributions. AMD has moved to a legacy software support structure for these graphics accelerator products in an effort to better focus development resources on future products.

Then it shows a list of all cards that have moved under Legacy devices and the X1650 is there.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 12 May 2009 - 06:25 AM

User is offline   Alexraptor 

This is pretty sweet stuff.
Its amazing what you can do when you got the sourcecode, update a game released in 1996 to todays modern graphical standards.
And to think these kind of visuals were rendered as an April fools for HRP. ;)

I just cant wait to let my GTX280 sink its teeth into this. ;)

really amazing graphics, is (or will) there a linux version of this engine ?

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options