Duke4.net Forums: EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer! - Duke4.net Forums

• 213 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

EDuke32 2.0 and Polymer!  "talk about the wonders of EDuke32 and the new renderer"

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

View PostDeeperThought, on May 8 2009, 09:43 PM, said:

Nah, the lights were added by CON code. The actors spawn and control light producing SEs.

Ah, yeah; I forgot about the SE stuff TerminX did. Did you try making a flashlight yet? It would need a small offset from the view position to match the gun position so that shadows would be visible. You could even make it bob with the weapon for great justice.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Thanks for posting the video, shows that some of the stuff I'm planning to do is possible.

Honestly, the possibilities are almost limitless.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Glad to hear about the optimizations. I had some serious stuttering on my system, but my son's laptop seems to run it fine, so I'll double check stuff and see if there are any other problems.

The video looks amazing! I can't wait to get making some stuff.

I know we just got the lighting engine, but what are the chances of someone writing some particle code and maybe integrating a physics engine of sorts? Would it be horribly difficult to borrow a few lines of code from Q3 or similar open source title and shoehorn them into EDuke?

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 08 May 2009 - 12:59 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPlagman, on May 8 2009, 01:29 PM, said:

Ah, yeah; I forgot about the SE stuff TerminX did. Did you try making a flashlight yet? It would need a small offset from the view position to match the gun position so that shadows would be visible. You could even make it bob with the weapon for great justice.

I don't have a model of Duke's hand holding a flashlight to put in the hud. I suppose I could make the flashlight hover in front of him, like the flares, and then I would only need a flashlight model.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

I'm still a bit worried about it not running on an ATI card, since I have SM3.0 support and all... it'd be a shame half of the community would miss this.

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View PostTea Monster, on May 8 2009, 03:58 PM, said:

Glad to hear about the optimizations. I had some serious stuttering on my system, but my son's laptop seems to run it fine, so I'll double check stuff and see if there are any other problems.

The video looks amazing! I can't wait to get making some stuff.

I know we just got the lighting engine, but what are the chances of someone writing some particle code and maybe integrating a physics engine of sorts? Would it be horribly difficult to borrow a few lines of code from Q3 or similar open source title and shoehorn them into EDuke?

Physics are actually pretty easy... it doesn't even need to be in the source. It's the collision that's the problem.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostDaedolon, on May 9 2009, 09:01 AM, said:

I'm still a bit worried about it not running on an ATI card, since I have SM3.0 support and all... it'd be a shame half of the community would miss this.

Don't worry to much, it works... sorta.... :rolleyes: (just a few bugs here and there)

User is offline   Geoffrey 

View PostParkar, on May 7 2009, 03:21 PM, said:

Here are a few more Polymer shots with some dynamic shadows in action.

http://img4.imagesha...?g=duke0044.jpg

That's really cool - those texture maps really are half the effect, the whole world is coming alive this way.

I don't want to be a pain in the ass, but I have just one little thing to comment on:
* Maybe it's me.. But what happened to using Ctrl+Y (and another one I think.) as shifting your view up, instead of now being Undo? It's useful, yeah - but I found that undo could crash Mapster32 (aćs could using F1 whenever.) under certain conditions (I'm not sure how to replicate it..). Couldn't it be relocated to Ctrl+Z or so? (I realize I could remap the keys.)

EDIT: Though I find the latest Mapster32 rather unstable, I'll still be using one of the previous versions (Think it was pre 1360 something.).

This post has been edited by Ryan Cordell: 09 May 2009 - 02:23 AM

User is offline   Chip 

I know we just got the lighting engine, but what are the chances of someone writing some particle code and maybe integrating a physics engine of sorts?

I plan on making some kind of physics code for my mod (Quite soon infact) for things like debris and shrapnel, of course it wont be any good conpaired to anyone elses attempt but the fact that I know I can actually make something like this means its totally possible (to some extent)......but I doubt it'll be anything other then con code unless the Eduke32 crew get bored and feel adventurouas.

P.S: A forum question, Why is the Slimer egg considered a better rank then the slimer?

This post has been edited by Chip: 09 May 2009 - 08:17 AM

Probably some sort of natural question that relates to evolution. Don't ponder too much about it. XD

User is offline   gt1750 

View PostParkar, on May 8 2009, 01:21 AM, said:

Here are a few more Polymer shots with some dynamic shadows in action.

http://img4.imagesha...?g=duke0044.jpg

Pretty cool ;)

However, it's all a bit too dark for my tastes. I can I magine many more lights added at the cloakroom & toilets. And some small lights on the cinema sign above the entrance.

User is offline   Ramen4ever 

Yeah, way too dark. It's more like a cinema after closing hours. Great horror potential. I'm sure it can look normal as well but that wouldn't emphasize the lighting very well.

This post has been edited by Ramen4ever: 09 May 2009 - 01:49 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I got my hands on a polymer snapshot of eDuke32 and unfortunately it doesn't work with my ATI X1650 AGP card. Just hangs at around 99% of the loading screen. Sometimes randomly at other percentages, too.

User is offline   Parkar 

• Honored Donor

View PostRamen4ever, on May 9 2009, 11:48 PM, said:

Yeah, way too dark. It's more like a cinema after closing hours. Great horror potential. I'm sure it can look normal as well but that wouldn't emphasize the lighting very well.

Heh, I always imagened it was after closing hours.

The ambient brightness is kinda fucked up due to the hack I was using not working to well with the sector fog. Implemented hardcoded overriding of the sector shading thats a lot closer to what things will look like now. To lazy to grab any screens right now though.

Edit: those that got a polymer build from me can go grab the exe from the same url to get the latest build. Most importantly this one has the driver crashes fixed.

This post has been edited by Parkar: 09 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Speaking of fog, any thoughts on creating more modern fog effects in Polymer?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostTea Monster, on May 8 2009, 01:58 PM, said:

You get stuttering? That's kind of surprising. Even though things still need work in the perf department, I've been running the development versions on my old nForce2/7600GT/Athlon XP rig without problem. This is the same machine I do all EDuke32 development on, actually. The framerate does dip sometimes (hey, the system is quite old) but even when the framerate is low performance is usually smooth and consistent. The slow old system I've got is also why whenever I post Polymer shots, the framerate tends to be lower than you'd expect.

• Duke Plus Developer

I get occasional brief pauses as well, and perhaps it has something to do with this:

PR : Compiling GPU program with bits 58451...
PR : Compiling GPU program with bits 34385...

Messages like that appear in the log well after the game has started.

User is offline   Jinroh 

Nice shots really makes the game look more moody and dark.

User is offline   Piano Man 

MusicallyInspired, on May 10 2009, 07:58 AM, said:

I got my hands on a polymer snapshot of eDuke32 and unfortunately it doesn't work with my ATI X1650 AGP card. Just hangs at around 99% of the loading screen. Sometimes randomly at other percentages, too.

WHERE???? SERIOUSLY? WHERE????

User is offline   Chip 

Piano Man, on May 10 2009, 06:27 AM, said:

WHERE???? SERIOUSLY? WHERE????

You have to be a very special and popular person to get this! .......or search on google.
I'm waiting till its actually meant to be released before I try it, if we were meant to play with it now then it would have already been publically released.

This post has been edited by Chip: 10 May 2009 - 01:50 AM

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

my fps drops downto 8 sometimes in the places I would have never thought will cause such a lag. I'm always getting low framerate near the level exit of e1l1. But hell - polymer is amazing. I've tested my version of #4304 tile ingame and it's like a 3D model. I think I'm missing something because specular works pretty strange for me. But I'll wait for official release. Also this light reconcars project in front of them is a brilliant idea. Keep up the great work guys.

User is offline   Rehbock 

awesome update. cant wait for its release
but wait such an graphical update on that old engine ?
Doesnt it proof dnf is also still based on build engine ? ;)

ps: release it soon. please. ;)

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

To anyone using CON model rotation (spriteext.pitch and .roll): the scale of the mdxoff, yoff and zoff members was off and didn't exactly correspond to BUILD units. I fixed it, so you'll have to adjust these values in your code so that everything still looks the same in your mod after the next build.

User is offline   kpl 

The work you guys are puting into Polymer is truely awesome. It couldn't have been timed any better. Atleast it's helping to soften the blow of DNF getting cancled. Now we have some Duke goodness to look forward to. Thanks guys for all your hard work. I was thinkin if DNF actually did get released that most modders would move over to that engine and leave Duke3d for good. So, this might be a blessing in desguise. On a side note: since DNF is shut down. You think there is any way Duke3d might be getting more love in the network code area? My dream would be, to play pimped out Duke Polymer deathmatch with a large online community. Any chance of somebody doing some updated network code. with master servers, ingame browser and the whole nine yards?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks fantastic. ;) God I want to play it.... oh well... I'll play plain old Duke until it's released.

Wow, I can't believe that I missed this news... honestly, i haven't been keeping up with Duke3D port development for a while now. Those sink textures I did quite a few years ago almost seem to have depth to them now. I can't wait to try this out, when it's done. ;)

User is offline   Yatta 

• Pizza Lawyer

God I love Polymer. It's our new DNF.

Here's a super high quality shot I just took:

http://img93.imagesh...433/polymer.jpg

OK, forget the "WID"... I know it hasn't been released "publicly" yet. But is there anyway for me to download this build?

• Duke Plus Developer

Hectic-Zombie, on May 10 2009, 11:01 PM, said:

OK, forget the "WID"... I know it hasn't been released "publicly" yet. But is there anyway for me to download this build?

People who are actively making stuff for the game (maps, mods, models) have been remarkably successful at getting copies of polymer. Coincidence? I think not. ;)

Share this topic:

• 213 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options