Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D HQ sounds - Duke4.net Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem 3D HQ sounds  "Duke Nukem 3D HQ sound replacement"

User is offline   CeeJay 

The goal of which is to replace all Duke Nukem 3D (Atomic Edition) sound effects and Duke talk with either perfect matches or suitable replacements of higher quality than the originals. All of the Duke talk is done and a handful of sound effects but there is still a lot missing and some of the replacements are a little sub-par.

Source of the Duke Talk:

Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (John's delivery is kind of poor here so I only used the ones I had to)
Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project
Duke Nukem Forever
Possibly other sources for one or two

Here's what i've got so far: http://www.mediafire...e3d_HQ_flac.zip

Any suggestions, ideas, contributions would be freakin' awesome and totally appreciated. Rock on!

This post has been edited by CeeJay: 21 December 2016 - 11:22 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Source of the original Chaingun sound:

Edit: This was a joke

This post has been edited by Fox: 22 January 2021 - 07:17 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

No way...
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Lunick: 21 April 2014 - 06:02 AM

User is offline   CeeJay 

That's some nice constructive and informative criticism there. Thank you.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Nice! Awesome to see that there exists at least some high quality originals of some of the sound effects. The others that sound completely different feel wrong, though. Still, nice collection.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 21 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I listened to about 40 of them. Good stuff. We'll see how well they work in the game.

User is offline   CeeJay 

I've played with it through most of episodes 1-4 and to me it sounds just fine, though I am getting some weird sound issues when picking up the Atomic Health. This could just be my machine or it's a bug with this version of EDuke. If i understand correctly, it uses the teleport sound played at a different speed.

UPDATE

HEARTBEAT.VOC renamed to HARTBEAT.VOC
KICK01-I.VOC added (Duke: "I'm gonna kick your ass, bitch!")
SHOTGNCK.VOC edited to better match the original
TELEPORT.VOC removed because i didn't like it much
MACHAMB.VOC edited for length

Now also includes HQ replacements of all Duke Talk from the Duke Nukem Forever 2013 mod

This post has been edited by CeeJay: 22 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

thank you for this. this stuff will go perfect for this DNF like mod i found

User is offline   Dr_Proton 

I'd like to help you out with this project. I also talked to Jon St. John concerning this project and we are not allowed to use stuff from DNF sadly, but where do you get your soundfiles from ?

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Dr_Proton, on 11 June 2014 - 02:10 AM, said:

I also talked to Jon St. John concerning this project and we are not allowed to use stuff from DNF sadly

Like this has ever stopped anyone before from using copyrighted material in Duke 3D.

User is offline   Dr_Proton 

Hmm... Haven't noticed this yet but if you say so. Well back to topic: Can't we use someone who sounds close to Duke Nukem and re-record the lines ? In your HQ sfx pack it seems that you use various sounds from a lot of different games.

This post has been edited by Dr_Proton: 11 June 2014 - 10:30 AM

User is offline   NNC 

Unlike DN3Ds visuals and gameplay mechanics, the sounds of the game didn't get old during these years. Personally I think sounds should be dead last in the priority list to remake them for a HD version.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 11 June 2014 - 10:22 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

There are a couple exceptions. Anything we can get the original CD audio quality of would go splendidly into a sound pack.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

Yeah it be nice if we knew where your getting each sound.

and why are you using 8bit when you can use 16 bit voc files and sample higher?

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Why not use FLAC?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Corvin, on 14 June 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

Yeah it be nice if we knew where your getting each sound.

and why are you using 8bit when you can use 16 bit voc files and sample higher?

Noobies gonna noob.

User is offline   Corvin 

• King of the Lamers

I'm thinking he only has the DOS version of Duke3D.

User is offline   CeeJay 

Updated after a long hiatus. I chose VOC format for reasons of compatibility. I can upload WAV format if people want.

• The Sarien Encounter

Why not just make FLAC?

User is offline   CeeJay 

MusicallyInspired, on 20 December 2016 - 10:40 AM, said:

Why not just make FLAC?

So it can be used pretty much straight out of the box without any need for scripts (CON, etc.) and in theory compatible with original DOS version.

• Weaponized Autism

>HQ
>DOS version
Pick one.

For any foobar.voc, make foobar_voc.flac and EDuke32 will play it.

EDuke32 supports automatic sound format upgrades which don't require any code, not con files, def definitions, or otherwise. For example, just place SQUISH.wav/.ogg/.flac in your root game directory, and the engine will automatically use it in place of the GRP's SQUISH.VOC. Same behavior works for the midi music. In the case of filename conflicts, i.e. SUBWAY.VOC and SUBWAY.MID, name your sound effect replacement as "SUBWAY_voc.ogg" so it targets the VOC extension rather than confusing it with the midi. I believe this is an accurate description of the system, although I mainly worked it out from this thread.

In other words, there's no reason to use VOC format unless you're dead set on DOS compatibility.

Blast and dash it all, ninja'd.

This post has been edited by Marphy Black: 21 December 2016 - 01:00 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

VOC is such an archaic format. Just use FLAC. Nobody uses DOS Duke anymore. When you think HQ you think modern source ports. EDuke32. Make HQ work with the best of the best for max quality.

User is offline   CeeJay 

Fine. I'll convert it to FLAC.

User is offline   CeeJay 

Marphy Black, on 20 December 2016 - 08:47 PM, said:

EDuke32 supports automatic sound format upgrades which don't require any code, not con files, def definitions, or otherwise. For example, just place SQUISH.wav/.ogg/.flac in your root game directory, and the engine will automatically use it in place of the GRP's SQUISH.VOC.

Don't seem to work for me, EDuke uses default GRP sounds no matter where I place the newly converted FLAC files.

Marphy Black, on 20 December 2016 - 08:47 PM, said:

In other words, there's no reason to use VOC format unless you're dead set on DOS compatibility.

EDuke isn't the only Duke sourceport out there, even if it is the best and most well-known.

• Weaponized Autism

How old of an EDuke32 are you using?

• The Sarien Encounter

CeeJay, on 21 December 2016 - 10:39 AM, said:

Fine. I'll convert it to FLAC.

Whoa easy there, man. Nobody's being hostile.

CeeJay, on 21 December 2016 - 10:49 AM, said:

EDuke isn't the only Duke sourceport out there, even if it is the best and most well-known.

The thing is if they're in FLAC the end user can convert down to whatever they need because it's lossless. The absolute top tier. HQ means the highest quality possible, ideally, and that's exactly what FLAC does. Even if EDuke32 didn't support it I'd ask for it....and I'd still be campaigning for EDuke32 to use it. Every other port should be using it as well.

The more important factor is you can't use "HQ" and "VOC" in the same sentence and mean it.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 21 December 2016 - 02:31 PM

User is offline   CeeJay 

Updated my version of EDuke and it works now.

Size of package with WAV: 38,4 MB
Size of package with FLAC: 24,9 MB
Size of package with VOC: 12,6 MB

VOC may be an old and outdated format but it is practical. And WAV and VOC are lossless too.

• The Sarien Encounter

Thanks for the alternates.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 21 December 2016 - 08:53 PM

Tried this and while not all of them are the originals of course, they do fit fairly well to me and sound like a much better HD sound replacement than what Gearbox could ever muster.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options