Duke4.net Forums: Subways are playing the wrong sound. - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Subways are playing the wrong sound.  "They play subway.ogg instead of subway.voc"

User is offline   DukeDuck 

As the title states, subways in my game are playing the wrong sound file. Instead of the regular sound the subway makes while moving, I hear the music from L.A. Rumble (E3L4). Help?

Here's my eduke log if that's any help.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Trooper Dan 

• Duke Plus Developer

What happens if you start the game without DukePlus and the HRP etc etc?

Tried that and it still plays the wrong sound.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostDukeDuck, on 25 July 2015 - 04:39 AM, said:

Tried that and it still plays the wrong sound.

Okay I had a similar problem where a one time sound event just didn't play anything or maybe it did but i couldn't hear it. But whatever the case it was not playing the sound I wanted and only one sound wasn't playing when it should have. To fix this problem I had to copy my Duke.GRP into a new folder and download and copy a new Eduke synthesis build into that folder and start over. I'm not sure what screwed with my sound file selection as other sounds would play correctly. Give it a shot and see if this helps.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 25 July 2015 - 05:23 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• EDuke32 Senior Developer

OK, I concede: auto-adding Megaton paths for music has to go.

View PostPaul B, on 25 July 2015 - 05:23 AM, said:

Okay I had a similar problem where a one time sound event just didn't play anything or maybe it did but i couldn't hear it. But whatever the case it was not playing the sound I wanted and only one sound wasn't playing when it should have. To fix this problem I had to copy my Duke.GRP into a new folder and download and copy a new Eduke synthesis build into that folder and start over. I'm not sure what screwed with my sound file selection as other sounds would play correctly. Give it a shot and see if this helps.

Nope, the subways are still playing music.

View PostHendricks266, on 25 July 2015 - 06:45 AM, said:

OK, I concede: auto-adding Megaton paths for music has to go.

That's strange, because if I load the game through Megaton the subway sounds are correct. When I load the game with EDuke, the sounds are wrong.

View PostDukeDuck, on 25 July 2015 - 02:19 PM, said:

That's strange, because if I load the game through Megaton the subway sounds are correct. When I load the game with EDuke, the sounds are wrong.

What's happening is when EDuke32 detects a Megaton installation in your registry, it adds the following paths to its virtual filesystem:

Using E:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/ for game data
Using E:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/addons/dc/ for game data
Using E:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/addons/nw/ for game data
Using E:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/addons/vacation/ for game data
Using E:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/music/ for game data
Using E:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/music/nwinter/ for game data
Using E:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/music/vacation/ for game data

We have a feature that, for any sound or music that is played, scan for files of the same name but with the file extension of a superior format.

.voc/.wav/.mid --> .ogg --> .flac

It so happens that the game has some overlap: grabbag.voc and grabbag.mid, and as you've pointed out, subway.voc and subway.mid. Megaton has its own grabbag_voc.ogg, so I was able to work around the former by first checking for filename_originalext.newext before filename.newext. However I see no way around the case of subway.voc, not to mention the problems that have been mentioned from some of the bigger TC teams. I still place emphasis on proper namespacing of files, but there is no way to ensure compatibility so far back.

Originally, this format upgrading was only for music. I added it for sound effects to facilitate use of perkristian's Hi-res Duke Nukem 3D sound effects pack, but I am considering removing it due to the hard-to-predict side effects. I would rather place a burden on content creators than end-users. By the same token, I would like EDuke32 to take advantage of as much of a Megaton install as possible, without breaking mods that don't use duke3d.grp. It's a difficult balance to program successfully, not to mention cleanly.

View PostHendricks266, on 25 July 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

What's happening is when EDuke32 detects a Megaton installation in your registry, it adds the following paths to its virtual filesystem:

Using E:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/ for game data
Using E:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/addons/dc/ for game data
Using E:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/addons/nw/ for game data
Using E:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/addons/vacation/ for game data
Using E:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/music/ for game data
Using E:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/music/nwinter/ for game data
Using E:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Duke Nukem 3D/gameroot/music/vacation/ for game data

We have a feature that, for any sound or music that is played, scan for files of the same name but with the file extension of a superior format.

It so happens that the game has some overlap: grabbag.voc and grabbag.mid, and as you've pointed out, subway.voc and subway.mid. Megaton has its own grabbag_voc.ogg, so I was able to work around the former by first checking for filename_originalext.newext before filename.newext. However I see no way around the case of subway.voc, not to mention the problems that have been mentioned from some of the bigger TC teams. I still place emphasis on proper namespacing of files, but there is no way to ensure compatibility so far back.

Originally, this format upgrading was only for music. I added it for sound effects to facilitate use of perkristian's Hi-res Duke Nukem 3D sound effects pack, but I am considering removing it due to the hard-to-predict side effects. I would rather place a burden on content creators than end-users. By the same token, I would like EDuke32 to take advantage of as much of a Megaton install as possible, without breaking mods that don't use duke3d.grp. It's a difficult balance to program successfully, not to mention cleanly.

Thank you for the detailed explanation. A shame that the problem is out of my hands, but I'll learn to live with this minor annoyance until it's fixed. Thanks again for your help.

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostHendricks266, on 25 July 2015 - 02:57 PM, said:

Awesome research! especially when this type of problem extends past the scope of Eduke as a result of another third party. You're quick on the draw Hendricks! =)

This post has been edited by Paul B: 25 July 2015 - 07:48 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

This is supposed to be fixed, right? Because it's not...in the latest snapshot, the subway trains play subway.ogg from my megaton install instead of the sound effect.

No, I haven't fixed this yet. Unless anyone objects by replying here in the next 48 hours, I will remove automatic sound format upgrades of the type filename.wav --> filename.ogg. I will leave filename.wav --> filename_wav.ogg. Music will be unaffected.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostDukeDuck, on 24 July 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

As the title states, subways in my game are playing the wrong sound file. Instead of the regular sound the subway makes while moving, I hear the music from L.A. Rumble (E3L4). Help?

Here's my eduke log if that's any help.

As annoying as this bug is, I have to say that this is probably my most favorite bug that's ever been reported on these forums - that thanks to Megaton, eDuke32 is confusing "SUBWAY.wav" with "SUBWAY.ogg".

Cobrastan is not a real country.
Keep Radar away!

This post has been edited by Spastic Lagomorph: 26 October 2015 - 07:31 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHendricks266, on 25 October 2015 - 08:19 PM, said:

No, I haven't fixed this yet. Unless anyone objects by replying here in the next 48 hours, I will remove automatic sound format upgrades of the type filename.wav --> filename.ogg. I will leave filename.wav --> filename_wav.ogg. Music will be unaffected.

Why did you cross that out?

View PostTrooper Dan, on 26 October 2015 - 10:02 AM, said:

Why did you cross that out?

TX and I came up with a better solution.

As of r5448, this should finally be fixed.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Yes, our forum uses cookies. © 2017 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options