• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   Hank 

View PostCommando Nukem, on 08 March 2020 - 12:16 AM, said:

Please elaborate on this Hank. I'd love to hear what you mean in more detail. ;)

I ain't gonna play the spoil sport here. If you look forward to this, enjoy, and don’t read any further.

[rant]
Doom 1, captured my imagination, Doom 2 did not. Quake captured my imagination. Especially the Vore. When I was young, with a flue, I had nightmares. The Vore was a literal incarnation of one of those nightmares. I fell instantly in love with Quake. Quake II was a new game. New enemies, new play style. And there too, the Berserker reminded me on my obnoxious boss in Germany. It’s another treasure game in my collection.
There are many more games, that touched my imagination. Prey, Rage, Shadow Warrior 2013, Half Life, Ion Fury etc. all showed fresh vivid ideas. Yes, one runs out of ideas sometimes. Solution, go to a place that free up your juices. Mine is the library or the park across my shack.
Now my million-dollar question: Doom Eternal promises same enemies (ugly, not really scary), but now they come in greater numbers, new weapons and you can now jump higher - with all the talent out there, a masterpiece to look forward too? Sounds to me, any mod team could have done this, for free.
[/rant]

This post has been edited by Hank: 08 March 2020 - 11:52 AM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Quake is a difficult topic. The game isn't what id set out to do at first, they turned it into a traditional shooter only after a while. It's also at least partially incomplete since ep.1 is the only one with a real end boss. Vores were the gapfillers later on. It's also overshadowed by Romero's departure from id due to lack of commitment (and other factors).

Taken that into consideration, it's a small miracle Quake still turned out to be a milestone title. Anyway, we are lucky to have it.

User is online   gemeaux333 

Quake 2 and 4 are the only ones appealing to me, with the Stroggs for sure !

• The Truth is in here

So, according to this German article, the status of Doom64 has been clearified.

The official PC release of Doom64 will contain a new chapter about the sister of the Motherdemon which you killed at the end of the original campaign. Kaiser (who is responsible for the release, which I had not been aware of until now) said that the game will support refresh rates higher than 60 Hz and more than 1.000 fps are possible. Now the important part: Doom64 will be released on March 20 for PC, PS4, One and Switch. Eternal pre-orders get it for free. This means there will be a standalone version that you can buy. I guess this is going to be the official successor of Doom64 EX, then.

Sadly, this info reaches me a bit too late since I pre-ordered Eternal yesterday, assuming D64 would be pre-order only.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 10 March 2020 - 04:34 AM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Doom 64 will also have a new episode made by Kaiser himself.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

That's pretty much was I assumed was the case.

User is offline   Darkus 

Downloading D64 Retribution, just in case it got removed ;)

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostHank, on 08 March 2020 - 11:50 AM, said:

I ain't gonna play the spoil sport here. If you look forward to this, enjoy, and don’t read any further.

No, i'm legitimately interested in what you meant by what you said and what you have to say on the matter. We've got some damn near hyperbolic hype regarding this game. "You'll never play another FPS game again" and the like.

View PostHank, on 08 March 2020 - 11:50 AM, said:

[rant]
Doom 1, captured my imagination, Doom 2 did not. Quake captured my imagination. Especially the Vore. When I was young, with a flue, I had nightmares. The Vore was a literal incarnation of one of those nightmares. I fell instantly in love with Quake. Quake II was a new game. New enemies, new play style. And there too, the Berserker reminded me on my obnoxious boss in Germany. It’s another treasure game in my collection.
There are many more games, that touched my imagination. Prey, Rage, Shadow Warrior 2013, Half Life, Ion Fury etc. all showed fresh vivid ideas. Yes, one runs out of ideas sometimes. Solution, go to a place that free up your juices. Mine is the library or the park across my shack.
Now my million-dollar question: Doom Eternal promises same enemies (ugly, not really scary), but now they come in greater numbers, new weapons and you can now jump higher - with all the talent out there, a masterpiece to look forward too? Sounds to me, any mod team could have done this, for free.
[/rant]

I can see what you're saying, certainly. I think with Doom Eternal the important thing to realize is that it is building off of what the first one did, and the aim is simply to really refine what the first one did. That's the objective of the game design. They weren't aiming for revolution on Doom Eternal. At least not from what I've heard Hugo and Mr Stratton say.

Also, with that in mind, when you go from Doom through id's library up to Quake III, frankly nothing really changes. Art direction changes, the location of the games change, but ultimately the core of the games is identical. By design. They got it right with Doom, and ultimately as a company they didn't really deviate from it. Guns, Monsters, Maze, Keys, Kill and Leave. Quake 1 had a Gothic horror vibe, Quake II had more tertiary story telling.

Most FPS games are not revolutionary today, which is an issue. It would be hard to even make a list of which games i'd choose out of the pantheon to make up the truly "revolutionary."

https://imgur.com/C9lTeWI

Just Doom 3 being Doom 3.

User is offline   Malgon 

Bethesda has now updated the PC specs and other info about preloading and stuff for Doom Eternal.

This post has been edited by Malgon: 10 March 2020 - 11:45 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Wow. Says they've upped the minimum resolution from 720p to 1080p. 1080p is a minimum resolution now.

• The Truth is in here

OR (1080p/ 60 FPS / High Quality Settings) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB), NVIDIA GeForce 970 (4GB), AMD RX 480 (8GB) Note : On GTX 970 only - set Texture Quality to Medium

Sigh of relief. My 1070 is apparently enough for 1080p with full details after all. But 50GB is still quite obscene, even with a high-speed internet connection. 8 GB RAM requirement is still quite high, but still a lot better than 16 like before...

This post has been edited by NightFright: 11 March 2020 - 08:08 AM

User is offline   axl 

Regarding Doom 64 : does anyone know if it will provide the possibility of freelook ? Or reloading animations ? The only thing I never liked about Doom 64 was the abscene of reloading animations....

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Not according to the trailer.

User is offline   Lunick 

View Postaxl, on 11 March 2020 - 09:26 AM, said:

Regarding Doom 64 : does anyone know if it will provide the possibility of freelook ? Or reloading animations ? The only thing I never liked about Doom 64 was the abscene of reloading animations....

The Switch port apparently has gyro aiming which would be weird if it was only left to right aiming so I'd assume that freelook is in.

Anyone was aware that it is possible download all the wads that partecipated to Joel Vinesauce mapping contest, both 2016 and 2018, including non-winners?
Mapping Contest 2016
Mapping Contest II: Helletric Boogaloo

I take the occasion to post some maps by Davi Doom for who still want to play DOOM 2016 a little more before Eternal definitive hypersaturation for next days.

Shadow Complex - ID: GQNN74P5

Point of No Return - ID: LDUWBVRQ

All Over Again - Emulates an Ultimate Doom map feeling - ID: JCX56B9V

Doom TV - Points accumulation arena inspired by SMASH TV - ID: HC6TRD3U

No Way Out - Multiplayer map based on arena deathmatch style - ID: 495WR3WU

Campaign - 9 maps, lore in DOOM3 style datapads

Abandoned Disodium Plant - ID: 3Z32KD7S
The Furnace - ID: 5WXHL7JS
Disposal Facility - ID: 3JR44ZNJ
The Bunker - ID: NJA8R38S
Engineering - ID: B2TAB98Y
Hell - ID: VHJRH3VC
The Devil's Playground - ID: 5WKJ7ZXE
The Escape - ID: XTT7S74X
Memories - ID: H96YCBTE

And also the recommended maps in its Snapmap thematic playlist, why not? However, in the meantime some IDs may have been updated.

Summoner in Snapmap - Demonstration/explanation on how permit the Summoners to spawn in your custom maps - ID: 9THELZ3W

01 The Resurrected - Taken from the community spotlight

Devil May DOOMED - Similar to a score run of arcade mode - ID: YYELY975

Claycat Doom - ID: FC95L78D

Claycat Doom: Inferno - ID: NTHRF8C7

The Rebel Vendetta - ID: MD5EQ2EL

The Watchtower - ID: 842EJ6UP

The Push - In alpha state - ID: X4SYTT4L

Glitch in the Snapmap - Troll map - ID: ZPLQA777

The Spider Mastermind - Tough fight - ID: PSDXEGJL

Unicorn Hell - Hard platforming (troll?) map - ID: N2X9MSUG

The Citadel (BETA) - Emulate some Doom Eternal Mechanics - ID: 7CS5SQWZ

Ethereal Shard ETERNAL Lvl 1 - ID: W8HQX44E

Ethereal Shard ETERNAL Lvl 2 - ID: E7N5Q8YD

Rip and Tear Doom Style - ID: RJVCRS9C

Return of the Doomguy: map 01 - Enemies don't drop weapons and armor for feature - ID: 37MMB54Y

Remakes

DOOM2: Underhalls - Little framerate issues

Doom 2: Tricks and Traps - Playable but with issues (also "The Pit" may not load) - ID: 27Q32MF3

Tower of Babel - Little framerate issues - ID: 453ZWATP

Duke Nukem 3D E1L1 - ID: YHSH7LKW

Duke Nukem 3D E1L2 - ID: 2G7GC9WR

Duke Nukem 3D E1L3 - ID: 75PFSPJL

Duke Nukem 3D E1L4 - ID: TCGU2PBY

Quake: The Slipgate Complex - ID: RS5NPKKX

Spawned Fear (Doom 64 Remake) - ID: R2C7UBUZ

Doom 64 Dark Entries - May be difficult - ID: 665WV6T2

Return to Unreal Doom lv1 pt1 - May be difficult - ID: J5UAUNEZ

Resistance Fall of a Man Remake - ID: G67PSRND

Doom 3: Delta Labs sec. 4 v1.1 - ID: 3YF6VH4G

Blood (1997) E1M1 - ID: GLLEZ6VQ

Hell's Masterpiece 2019 - Remake and reinterpretation of MAP27 from Perdition Gate Wad - ID: FEK9NU2X

Doom 1 Return on Earth Fan Made - Union of E3M8 and E4M1 - ID: C6JL4CSD

Doom 25th Anniversary - ID: LXF2AQ55

User is offline   Malgon 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 11 March 2020 - 04:45 AM, said:

Wow. Says they've upped the minimum resolution from 720p to 1080p. 1080p is a minimum resolution now.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting your wording, but that doesn't mean the minimum resolution the game can run at is 1080p now but rather that the (almost) same specs should now give you 1080p/60fps instead of 720p/60fps, which is actually a good thing. And IIRC you're running a GTX 970 which you'll note is now under the recommended specs (albeit at medium settings), where previously it had been under the minimum specs at low settings, a good indication these updated specs line up with their talk about optimisation.

View PostNightFright, on 11 March 2020 - 08:04 AM, said:

Sigh of relief. My 1070 is apparently enough for 1080p with full details after all. But 50GB is still quite obscene, even with a high-speed internet connection. 8 GB RAM requirement is still quite high, but still a lot better than 16 like before...

I don't think 50GB is that ridiculous really when you consider that the steam page for Doom 2016 currently lists it as 55GB, and checking my install folder it's now sitting at 68.6GB. I'd actually be shocked if they were saying something like Modern Warfare which requires 175GB!

Is tha Icon of Sin at 1:10 ?

User is offline   Player Lin 

View Postgemeaux333, on 12 March 2020 - 09:27 AM, said:

Is tha Icon of Sin at 1:10 ?

Looks like it's much, much better than the DooM 2 one. ;)

Still, too early to say anything...

View PostPlayer Lin, on 13 March 2020 - 03:04 AM, said:

Looks like it's much, much better than the DooM 2 one. ;).

Posted Image

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostFantinaikos, on 13 March 2020 - 04:50 AM, said:

*pic*

Uh, Attack on Titan IoS?

Well, maybe it's not good idea. ;)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 13 March 2020 - 08:00 AM

(Demonic language) : "In order to win the game, you must kill me, John Romero !"

Or like the traitor in Doom Eternal says : "When his heart is laid to rest, then his soul will be at peace, and so will mine !"

I think you recognized the ambiant music...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 13 March 2020 - 09:53 AM

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

I'm mostly excited for Doom 64. I'm much less excited for Doom Eternal.

This is more or less how we should see the guy ingame: Posted Image

Someone almost get it back in 2014: Posted Image

Here others full body Interpretation: https://forum.zdoom....hp?f=60&t=36497

The most famous full body fan depiction before Eternal trailer was the six arms abomination from Brutal Doom which then become a flotating thing that looks weird:

Posted Image

• The Truth is in here

I always found the D2 end boss incredibly stupid. A sprite-based huge enemy would have been much better than a monster spawner. But hey, at least we got Romero's head and a reversed voice message.

You're probably thinking in terms of comparison with the software and hardware of today or at least using parameters utilizable starting from nearly second half of 1995. With almost all the configurations from 92's to 94's, using a oversized sprite in movement (always if the tools of that time allowed to do it), especially if not stay in place like a texture, can crash a game or put under stress your memory/processor damaging your computer. Without count the situation where you had to have the top of the range to run early 3D-ish products even antecedents to the first DOOM like the Alone In The Dark games.

The choice of a fixed sprite was obligated, although in the meantime games like MYST were starting to show that systems could handle complex elements. For the rest it is evident that the real final boss are the cage cubes.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 13 March 2020 - 12:40 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostLunick, on 11 March 2020 - 01:02 PM, said:

The Switch port apparently has gyro aiming which would be weird if it was only left to right aiming so I'd assume that freelook is in.

A follow up, the game does not have mouselook/freelook so having gyro on one axis is going to be weird... https://twitter.com/...8817106950?s=19

Posted Image

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I got the Switch ports of Ultimate and Doom 2 because they were dirt cheap recently and the aiming feels off. I thought only having horizontal aiming would mean they would play flawlessly but I've been having issues playing. Can't even do Ultra Violence because half of my shots miss from me having to spend extra time fine tuning my aim. Forget even attempting Sigil.

I didn't play these ports before the 60fps update, did it feel off before this? It feels like my aiming is too 'smooth' and after I let go of the stick the camera slows down first before completely stopping instead of stopping the instant I let go.

To compare, I beat both games on UV on 360 a number of times and never had issues with the aiming. (I also really wish these ports had the feature where when you held down sprint, your aiming was faster)

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 14 March 2020 - 01:56 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostFantinaikos, on 13 March 2020 - 10:28 AM, said:

Someone almost get it back in 2014:

Spoiler

That was me.

I guess Doom RPG versions didn't make much sense in the end.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Here some test:

Spoiler

Updated:

Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options