• 129 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

The new Doom 1-2 ports by Bethesda were released on PC through the Bethesda.net launcher. Sneaky stuff.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 12 January 2020 - 04:03 AM

User is offline   ReaperAA 

New Eternal Trailer is here

(For some reason I cannot Embed the video)

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 14 January 2020 - 09:56 AM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Here's the embedded trailer:

User is online   Ninety-Six 

Looks sweet as hell.

I hope it gets subtitles soon; the audio effects are making it difficult for me to understand everything being said. Only bits and pieces.

Seems like they're really leaning into developing the story more, which is fine- i just hope it doesn't interrupt the gameplay too much. Doom 4 was good for keeping the details in the fluff text with only two or three HL2-esque cutscenes, and I'm hoping it stays that way.

I still have no doubt this will be my GOTY, mind you

Actually, the trailer music there: Does anyone else hear the first level theme for the playstation version?

I never undesrtood the concept behind a sword being stronger than a gun (even if made of energy, against the Cyberdemon), is not that i don't like swords, they are cool, but at this point i prefer to dismember monsters with bare hands than using an integrated blade and adding slower animations.
Anyway, prepare yourself, because indigenous will come back from their graves to destroy tanks and war planes with new energy spears, arrows, blades and some axe https://forums.duke4.net/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Skip to 10:50 for something amazing...

User is offline   ViDi 

Looks interesting

https://i.ibb.co/F5Dk745/ezgif-com-video-to-gif.gif

This needs to be done to Duke3D sprites!

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

If you look closely, the features of the interpolated Cyberdemon don't move, they morph. This technique is not ready for production usage.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPikaCommando, on 21 January 2020 - 09:25 AM, said:

This needs to be done to Duke3D sprites!

The new animations would take tons more tiles than the old ones, so they couldn't be put on the original tile numbers. They would need to be added to new tile numbers, then all the actor code would have to be modified to refer to the new animations (including even nitty-gritty things like actioncount based responses). The animated sprites would also take up lots more memory (like 4X as much). We already get hitches in our mods when large numbers of tiles are loaded in, so that would be fun too.

What you actually want, the holy grail in my opinion, would be a new HRP, but this time make all the models look exactly like voxels of the sprites but with smooth animations, and make them work properly with all pal swaps.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

View PostHendricks266, on 21 January 2020 - 09:31 AM, said:

If you look closely, the features of the interpolated Cyberdemon don't move, they morph. This technique is not ready for production usage.

It may not be, but it surely looks boner-inducing.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 21 January 2020 - 12:07 PM

Based on this, it seems like everything is matching up with that one showcase Id did a few months back, where they kind of explained their intent behind the combat and how they really wanted the player to be thinking at all times. Personally I am all about that. Juggling a wide variety of enemy types and the most effective weapons to use against them, making lightning-fast do-or-die decisions in the heat of battle... That's really why I enjoy FPSes (and why I tend to favor the older ones). It seems like Eternal is really going to scratch that itch. 4 was really good and came super close, but there were a few weapons that, when upgraded, sort of became a "win most battles" button.

I know he isn't always the most accurate, but I really hope his prediction about this being a total milestone in the evolution of this genre comes true. The genre in modern times has been begging for a radical change-up for a good few years now, and if this leads to more games having an intense focus on the combat and juggling all those elements, then I will be a happy player. Won't matter if it comes from indie throwbacks or modern game studios as long as there's a juggling act.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Not reading anything specific to avoid spoilers but it sure seems like several publications are hyping this game up as the second coming of FPS games

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

It seems Doom Eternal will be twice as long regarding playtime as its predecessor. Also levels are twice as large. Early reviews state concerns that the new emphasis on (easy) puzzles and vertical movement might be a bit too distractive, but in general the game is just bigger, better and nicer. I also like the idea that you mainly get your resources from monsters now, depending on how you kill them. And if you are running low on supplies, it spawns some trash mobs for a quick refill.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 21 January 2020 - 10:34 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNinety-Six, on 21 January 2020 - 01:41 PM, said:

I know he isn't always the most accurate, but I really hope his prediction about this being a total milestone in the evolution of this genre comes true.

I don't know how you'd describe what a milestone means but I think that there is a very low chance of Eternal becoming a "trend setter" or anything like that, in fact this seems like a very risky game at this point.

From what I'm seeing Eternal really looks like a game that will test you when it comes to utilizing the mechanics of an old school shooter. If you look at the Noclip interview with Hugo Martin there he says that they watched the infamous Polygon gameplay video of Doom 2016 and what they learned from it was that the game should have killed that player for not playing the game the way it was meant to be played (movement, "push forward combat" etc.). As a result Eternal will kill you if you play like Polygon. :rolleyes:

That's risky because they are banking on player skill while the general audience (and especially journalists) usually suck at playing FPS well. In order to combat this they made the devs seemed to have made the game very color coded in its looks plus just like in Doom 2016 the hitboxes will be huge etc. and those things will help a lot but they won't make bad player habits magically go away. If you started playing FPS with corridor shooters and military shooters then forgetting all that and learning how to play an arena FPS is quite tough.

And really, this seems like a game made for "sweaty" players as Spuddy, one of Australia's best Quake players puts it:

Guess a lot will depend on how the lower difficulties will be balanced.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 21 January 2020 - 11:28 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

This is the best thing I've ever seen:

Top of the line budget and animation talent used for the stupidest shit, I love it. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 22 January 2020 - 12:03 AM

User is offline   Lazy Dog 

View PostZaxx, on 21 January 2020 - 11:28 PM, said:

From what I'm seeing Eternal really looks like a game that will test you when it comes to utilizing the mechanics of an old school shooter. If you look at the Noclip interview with Hugo Martin there he says that they watched the infamous Polygon gameplay video of Doom 2016 and what they learned from it was that the game should have killed that player for not playing the game the way it was meant to be played (movement, "push forward combat" etc.). As a result Eternal will kill you if you play like Polygon. :rolleyes:

Can't wait for all the game "journalists" to cry about the game being too hard :mellow:

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 22 January 2020 - 09:32 AM

User is offline   Outtagum 

User is offline   Malgon 

View PostNightFright, on 21 January 2020 - 10:32 PM, said:

It seems Doom Eternal will be twice as long regarding playtime as its predecessor. Also levels are twice as large. Early reviews state concerns that the new emphasis on (easy) puzzles and vertical movement might be a bit too distractive, but in general the game is just bigger, better and nicer. I also like the idea that you mainly get your resources from monsters now, depending on how you kill them. And if you are running low on supplies, it spawns some trash mobs for a quick refill.

Doom 2016 took me 34 hours to complete, so if it's really going to be double that then I'm going to get my money's worth!

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

https://i.imgur.com/Ly4BgaZ.jpg

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

The real Baron, My favorite Doom badguy.

User is offline   Cherno 

This post has been edited by Cherno: 29 January 2020 - 10:14 AM

User is offline   Fauch 

View PostZaxx, on 21 January 2020 - 11:28 PM, said:

That's risky because they are banking on player skill while the general audience (and especially journalists) usually suck at playing FPS well. In order to combat this they made the devs seemed to have made the game very color coded in its looks plus just like in Doom 2016 the hitboxes will be huge etc. and those things will help a lot but they won't make bad player habits magically go away. If you started playing FPS with corridor shooters and military shooters then forgetting all that and learning how to play an arena FPS is quite tough.

It looked easy on old demo videos, and then seeing, I think, Gmanlives playing (on ultraviolence though), it looked hard.
You see a bunch of games claiming to be punishingly hard or dark-souls like, but you don't see much of that in FPS. You see gameplay presentation of a guy playing in easy mode with god mode so you can imagine you will be a badass when playing, they don't advertise by showing some guy struggling in Ultraviolence.

This post has been edited by Fauch: 29 January 2020 - 11:06 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Fucking perfect.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• Buy Mage's Initiation!

So many unanswered questions in the first 10 seconds let alone 10 minutes. I assume it's all answered in the lore items though. That's great too because most people just want to get to the fighting which this does wonderfully.

Share this topic:

• 129 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options