• 130 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is online   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Arachnotrons keep kicking my ass. I never have enough fuel to chainsaw the little buggers either. Everything is generally harder to kill than in 2016.

I keep stopping after a fight and F12ing the scenery. They have taken so many design cues from older Id games. Parts of the first adventure look like Thy Flesh Consumed. I keep thinking of what a proper sequel to Quake 1 would look like in modern Idtech. Now I know!

I don't have an issue with the Arachnotrons since you can sticky bomb/snipe off their plasma cannon, but yeah I don't like how the game has more Heavy enemies than Fodder enemies with little in between the gap. I've beaten the game and I can safely say that this game is really a whole different beast compared to Doom 2016. It's not really a straight upgrade, just its own thing. I can't classify it as an old-school FPS because not everything that's a fast-paced and action-packed FPS is an old-school FPS, which is something a lot of people nowadays seem to believe.

What I really wonder is if the game can still hold up after the initial release hype cooled down, like what happened with Phantom Menace.

This post has been edited by PikaCommando: 21 March 2020 - 03:43 AM

• Polymancer

Neither of the new Dooms are 'retro' apart from the name. They honour their roots, but they redefine the whole ethos of gameplay for a FPS.
Retro shooters are about conserving health, ammo and armour to survive. New Doom is all about choosing which creature to kill and how to give you what you need to survive. New Doom makes rip and tear vital to surviving, while in the old school shooters, it would quickly get you killed.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

They updated the exes via Steam already. Guess that took care of the DRM-free exe they accidentally provided by themselves.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostTea Monster, on 21 March 2020 - 03:26 AM, said:

Arachnotrons keep kicking my ass. I never have enough fuel to chainsaw the little buggers either. Everything is generally harder to kill than in 2016.

I keep stopping after a fight and F12ing the scenery. They have taken so many design cues from older Id games. Parts of the first adventure look like Thy Flesh Consumed. I keep thinking of what a proper sequel to Quake 1 would look like in modern Idtech. Now I know!

I refuse to use the heavy bolt out of principle, so my go-to with the Arachnotrons is to just spam their asses with sticky bombs. The shotgun has become like a grenade launcher for me.

They drop the Arachnotrons wayyyy too early in my opinion. I was simply not ready when the first one literally popped around the corner of the scenery and jacked up my face with a stream of close-range plasma.

Though, I think the Hellknight has done me in more than the Arachnotron or the Revenant. There's a battle in Exultia where you have one Arachnotron and one Revenant waiting in the combat area for you along with some mooks. I took to cheesing the Arachnotron from above before they agro, and then would take on the Revenant. The Hellknight that would then proceed to spawn in would either through me off balance and get me ganked by the mooks, or i'd get jacked up by the Knight himself. That ground slam move is a bitch.

Yes, the scenery is just jaw-dropping. The Hell on Earth stuff was just... Muah. Beautiful. The sheer artistry on display is incredible. I loved the corpses in the box-cages and walls. Recalling the FACE texture from OG Doom. I also noticed the tech-lite poles got a nice 3D Recreation in one section of Hell on Earth, taking on the roll of parking garage lighting. That's the way to reinterpret things right there.

I'm gonna be real... I think they overdid the platforming. Vertical design in the maps is fine. Some jumping is fine, but... Too much, I think. Especially for what it is aiming to be in a lot of these sections (To break up the combat.) I'd have preferred a few of the jumping sections be halved. The one right after meeting up with The Betrayer had me getting a little frustrated.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

One thing I don't like is when those tooltips popup and they flat out spoil an enemy you are about to face. They should've made it so a new enemy would appear, you fought it, and then after killing it the popup would appear to tell you what their weak spot is.

Also do not, under any circumstance, let a Cacodemon get too close to you. Their melee is fucked

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 21 March 2020 - 09:05 AM

User is offline   gemeaux333 

The worst is definitly the Marauder, followed by the Doom Hunter !

Seriously, ennemies are way too fast, and you get too easily edged !

• Polymancer

View PostHulkNukem, on 21 March 2020 - 09:04 AM, said:

One thing I don't like is when those tooltips popup and they flat out spoil an enemy you are about to face. They should've made it so a new enemy would appear, you fought it, and then after killing it the popup would appear to tell you what their weak spot is.

Also do not, under any circumstance, let a Cacodemon get too close to you. Their melee is fucked

I actually got chomped in mid-air trying to get some distance from a baron. I wound up being gobbled alive in mid-bounce.

scarred for fucking life.

• The Truth is in here

But there is a way to beat the game on easy... right?

Yes, its beatable in easy, but look like its 1 to 2 levels above the DOOM 2016 difficulty settings, easy mode included... some combats are endlessly frustrating !

Now you gatherr extra-lifes, so you don't have to load everytime you dies, you are just getting back full life in a matter of seconds

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 21 March 2020 - 01:56 PM

• Polymancer

The combat is a lot of fun, it can be frustrating, but there is always a strategy, if you think about what your weapons can do and what their weaknesses are. I got the sniper on the heavy cannon and could easily pick off Revenants rocket launchers and Arachnotron's turrets from a distance, then close in with the shotgun's stickybombs.

The one thing that is annoying me beyond comprehension is the &%$& platforming segments. I tried one combo of jumps, dashes and dash power-ups to bridge a canyon. After about half an hour of going over the same area dozens of times, I shut the game down for the night. It just wasn't fun any more.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTea Monster, on 21 March 2020 - 04:15 PM, said:

The one thing that is annoying me beyond comprehension is the &%$& platforming segments. I tried one combo of jumps, dashes and dash power-ups to bridge a canyon. After about half an hour of going over the same area dozens of times, I shut the game down for the night. It just wasn't fun any more.

Haven't played it yet, but from your description it sounds like the game doesn't give you useful feedback on what you are doing wrong. That's always a danger with tricky platforming mechanics, because unlike enemies who have visible projectiles coming at you, weak spots etc, the open air just lets you fall to your death.

• Polymancer

Doom 2016 was all about bloody progression. Timing your jumps and when you use powerups brings the whole thing to a crashing halt.

I just started playing this, for maybe an hour, so far it is alot of fun, some battles are challenging, and Im still learning the mechanics, but Im happy so far.

There is one single thing in the game that is utterly useless/pointless/absurd/unnecessary and gamebreaking : the "Mastery tokens", if you have acquired all the improvements for a weapon module and don't want to do the mastery stuffs, you just use one of these tokens and you master the weapon module right away...
Spoiler

• The Truth is in here

So, if I read Steam comments correctly, Eternal requires you to do a lot more calculation during combat, i.e. when to use which weapon against which enemies. Also, disarming enemies doesn't seem to be an optional gimmick, it's elemental for survival. In general, gameplay doesn't have very much in common with Doom 2016.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 22 March 2020 - 11:31 AM

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I know everyone's talking about DE right now, but recently I was watching TNG with the family and came upon the episode Thine Own Self where Data is in an accident and forgets who he is on a planet with a primitive pre-industrial society. He was carrying a case of radioactive material that makes everyone in the town he stays at sick. Here's what the prop they used for the case looks like.

http://i.imgur.com/Yy9X6Krl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VgaUxnUl.jpg

User is offline   HulkNukem 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/02/Final_Doom_Coverart.png

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 22 March 2020 - 11:54 AM, said:

I know everyone's talking about DE right now, but recently I was watching TNG with the family and came upon the episode Thine Own Self where Data is in an accident and forgets who he is on a planet with a primitive pre-industrial society. He was carrying a case of radioactive material that makes everyone in the town he stays at sick. Here's what the prop they used for the case looks like.

http://i.imgur.com/Yy9X6Krl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VgaUxnUl.jpg

Yep. It's an ammo box as I recall.

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I had known that, I was just excited to see it also used in Star Trek. ;)

The best easter egg of the game :

The pistol is actually semi-officially present in Eternal's arsenal.

I wonder if this discovery by users will influence the future updates/DLC somehow.

• Judge Mental

I like how it takes inspiration from the OG Doom poster, and the burst fire mode totally hearkens back to all that talk from Hugo about how Robocop was a big inspiration.

User is offline   Lazy Dog 

I was wondering : What could comes next with this reboot ?

Civvie saves the day again. Finally someone who doesn't have id's cock in their mouth.

User is offline   Fauch 

I think they didn't send it to him. When was the last time I saw one of his reviews, did they all look like his pro series?

User is offline   Lazy Dog 

View Postgemeaux333, on 30 March 2020 - 09:43 AM, said:

I was wondering : What could comes next with this reboot ?

Doomguy gonna run for president.

View PostLazy Dog, on 30 March 2020 - 01:36 PM, said:

Doomguy gonna run for president.

I meant, reported to the original Doom games...

Question: There are single maps or even entire megawads whose architecture and environment retroactively gives you a sensation of a level from DOOM 2016/Eternal now? There is a good possibility that someone also casually created something that resemble the not Hell presidiated parts in Argent D'Nur or Urdak.

To me, one it's Shadows of the Nightmare Realm. I'd like to see more.

Oh, yes: You can turn third person on.

Share this topic:

• 130 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options