• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   Malgon 

Just saw this for those who have Serious Sam Fusion:

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View Postthricecursed, on 30 March 2020 - 09:46 AM, said:

Civvie saves the day again. Finally someone who doesn't have id's cock in their mouth.

No shit.

All my two gripes were "I think they hit you too quickly with heavy hitters." "Ya know they went a little nuts with the platforming" and got slammed with a bajillion GIT GUDDDD!!!!11111oneone!!!!

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Doom Eternal's combat is brutal. You are thrown in hard, and from a great height. I'm glad in one way because if Doom Eternal were just a re-hash of 2016, it would be nice to have more, but I don't expect Id to sit there fat and happy playing the same tune continuously. We here know how that pans out!

One thing I just can't stand is all the Mario crap. I can't stand platforming at the best of times. It also completely stops the adrenaline-rush of the game hard in it's tracks. You go from ripping and tearing at Mach 9 to a standstill instantly. How is Crash Bandicoot about Demons and Shotguns? No, they don't go together.

Apart from this, DE is one of the most perfectly, lovingly crafted games that's come out in a long while.

• Judge Mental

View PostTea Monster, on 31 March 2020 - 12:16 AM, said:

Doom Eternal's combat is brutal. You are thrown in hard, and from a great height. I'm glad in one way because if Doom Eternal were just a re-hash of 2016, it would be nice to have more, but I don't expect Id to sit there fat and happy playing the same tune continuously. We here know how that pans out!

One thing I just can't stand is all the Mario crap. I can't stand platforming at the best of times. It also completely stops the adrenaline-rush of the game hard in it's tracks. You go from ripping and tearing at Mach 9 to a standstill instantly. How is Crash Bandicoot about Demons and Shotguns? No, they don't go together.

Apart from this, DE is one of the most perfectly, lovingly crafted games that's come out in a long while.

See, and i'm not even saying they had to repeat the beats of Doom 2016. I just think they did it backwards. Like they just throw Arachnotrons at you in five minutes. I get the thinking. It's similar to how Doom 2016 basically smacks you in the face a bit with the first Gore Nest/Imp Encounter.

Platforming, i'm actually okay with the idea. I just think they went ape shit. It worked in Doom 2016 to have some, especially wherein finding bonus items and secrets is concerned. I think they just went for ball-busting jumps too much as a core loop. If it had been me, I would have cut those that are part of the core path in half. Just enough to mix things up between battles, maybe offer a really good vantage point, but not enough that you get stopped in the flow.

User is offline   irukanjji 

[quote name='Fantinaikos' timestamp='1585607404' post='340194']
Question: There are single maps or even entire megawads whose architecture and environment retroactively gives you a sensation of a level from DOOM 2016/Eternal now? There is a good possibility that someone also casually created something that resemble the not Hell presidiated parts in Argent D'Nur or Urdak.[/quote]

Check this out, Doom2016 on Quakespasm Engine

download beta version Slayer´s Testament

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Probably late on this, but found a funny secret

Spoiler

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Finally beat level 1 today. I'm loving this game so far. Still getting used to the flow of the combat but it'll come. I don't mind the platforming so far. But then I've only just beaten level 1. 100%, though.

It certainly is, but I was mostly referring to all maps practically created over time between the beginning in 1993 to 2015, when DOOM 2016 still was have to come out yet, like Eternal. And still a mod for Quake anyway.

Possibly, unless a cognitive bias, one thing that somehow came closer to most recent games atmosphere is the OTHER famous 1996 Eternal.

Eternal Doom III
Eternal Doom IV: Return From Oblivion

Very closer actually. And if you make an hud face comparison... just a coincidental stylistic similarity? ID tried to suggest something to us?

In the meantime, inception was inevitable.

Together with first mod packs.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 31 March 2020 - 04:12 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

This happened to me just now.

https://twitter.com/...204206652284929

User is offline   gemeaux333 

Terminator 2 reference !

User is offline   Malgon 

I remember seeing that in 2016 as well. It's still great they kept the reference.

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 31 March 2020 - 08:22 PM, said:

This happened to me just now.

https://twitter.com/...204206652284929

One thing is for certain. Doom Eternal is chock-block full of secrets. It's brilliant.

It seems that in one of the expansions of Doom 2 you prevent the events from Hell on earth to happen...

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Playing Eternal Doom in Doom Eternal. My head is about to explode. That's also a way to extend playtime indefinitely.

View Postgemeaux333, on 01 April 2020 - 10:52 AM, said:

It seems that in one of the expansions of Doom 2 you prevent the events from Hell on earth to happen...

The timeline is: ULTIMATE DOOM (with TNT EVILUTION before PLUTONIA EXPERIMENT) -> DOOM II -> NO REST FOR THE LIVING -> DOOM 64 -> DOOM 2016 -> DOOM ETERNAL.

Moreover ID reworked Doomguy's death at the ending of Knee-Deep in the Dead where he get ambushed after using the teleport for Deimos from a commercial shareware suspense trick to an important general lore moment where the spirit of the Slayer (ex-Betrayer), revived his body and fused with him. As Eternal combined with DOOM 2016 testament informations show, after Doomguy decided to remain in Hell (DOOM 64), he got captured and brought to Sentinel Prime from which will follow all the events that will lead him to become the DoomSlayer. Eternal it's the second Hell invasion, with the complicity of an already corrupted UAC.

This "expansion" where Hell on Earth does not happen seems not a thing, unless you mean one of the many alternative story megawads. It is true anyway that in many 90's games was common see endings that looks definitive conclusions since for developers was less easy estimate how much a saga could go on and be successful, sequels were a bet.

Playing Eternal Doom in Doom Eternal. My head is about to explode. That's also a way to extend playtime indefinitely.

It became infinitum.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 01 April 2020 - 01:23 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

In the midst of this quarantine I'm trying to gather Slayer Points to unlock stuff in Doom Eternal. I have 3 more referrals to give to people to sign up for the Slayer's Club by following a special link. Help me get some points and unlock stuff if you haven't already become a member. You don't need the game or anything and you can just ignore the account after you make it if you want. I've been spending all morning gathering points and now I'm just shy of 3000. 13,000 gets you the 25th anniversary skin for the game. 3000 gets you a special Pain Elemental skin. There's also unlockable skins for the Archvile and others at lower ranks.

I mean, there's not much else better to do right now. Help me get a few extra points lol. PM me for the link if you're interested.

• Judge Mental

Go ahead and send me a link, dude.

• The Sarien Encounter

PMed. Thanks, dude. My sister is going to do it later today so that's all of my 5 referrals accounted for (I've referred the others already).

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 04 April 2020 - 07:57 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I made this yesterday for the fanart submissions.

http://i.imgur.com/bx1gi7cl.png

Is the a modding possibility that is in place or planned, like the workshop, for Domm Eternal ?

There is a few changes that can be made to make the game mre convenient to play : more ammo capacity, Super-shootgun OP again (shoot twice before reload), etc...

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 05 April 2020 - 10:36 AM

I made this yesterday for the fanart submissions.

I request SCI32 and Lucasart (also FMV/Myst adventure style if you want overdo it. Use clips from the movie is easier).

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 05 April 2020 - 10:44 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postgemeaux333, on 05 April 2020 - 10:36 AM, said:

Is the a modding possibility that is in place or planned, like the workshop, for Domm Eternal ?

Nope.

View PostFantinaikos, on 05 April 2020 - 10:40 AM, said:

I request SCI32 and Lucasart (also FMV/Myst adventure style if you want overdo it. Use clips from the movie is easier).

LucasArts style would be great but would require more skill in the art department. Someone made a mockup of Brütal Legend in LucasArts adventure style once and it was great.

• Judge Mental

Blippity Bloppity Doom Adventure? Oh yes.

Whats frustrating in the end is all the armor tokens and sentinel batteries you have in excess at the end of the game but cannot use as you have acquired all you can with them prior to Taras Nabad (2 missions prior to Urdak) that is PNR...

It seems that even if John Cena will probably not be in a Duke Nukem movie, he will probably be the Doom Guy in the next DOOM movie (just hoping it won't be as embarassing as the first two) https://wegotthiscov...john-cena-eyed/

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

So is this going to be the sequel to Annihilation or yet another reboot? Not that it matters much at this point, I guess...

User is offline   Lazy Dog 

No please, not again.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 09 April 2020 - 10:48 AM

View PostNightFright, on 09 April 2020 - 08:03 AM, said:

So is this going to be the sequel to Annihilation or yet another reboot? Not that it matters much at this point, I guess...

Reboot, definitly :

"the studio is planning on rebooting the movie series, with the next installment focusing on the events of the original game from 1993. The film won’t have any connections to any of the aforementioned outings, and while plot details are still scarce, we’ve been informed that one name the studio’s eyeing for the lead role is John Cena, who’ll soon be seen in the aforementioned F9."

When it comes to Anihilation, Bethesda/ID have disowned it in block !
Even if it seems works that the first one, it have one merit : at least he stayed faithfull to the plot of the games (hells, daemons,etc...)

This post has been edited by gemeaux333: 09 April 2020 - 02:27 PM

User is online   Sanek 

View PostRADAЯ, on 09 April 2020 - 11:21 AM, said:

Why are they bothering with another Doom movie? It's not like they are particularly known for making money.

Because Doom is a successful franchise. In a world where making original movies is considered a risk, movie studios will always try to make a movie based on a pre-existing franchise. And they keep making new Doom movies because of it. Becuse people know what Doom is.

Take Terminator franchise for example. Each movie since T3 flopped, but they keep making sequels based on how successful Terminator was 20 years ago and because it's still a cult franchise that everyone knows Same with Doom, a game that spawned 2 adaptations after releases of respective titles.

Share this topic:

• 132 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options