• 157 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I always wondered why you basically die at the end of ep.1 and then you continue as if nothing happened. But well, maybe death was the price to pay for entering The Shores of Hell. In the end, I just figured the id guys thought it was a cool and shocking ending, fitting the end of the shareware episode. Anticlimactic, too, considering all the ordeals you went through before.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostFox, on 13 April 2020 - 06:07 AM, said:

In an early draft, the character was named "Buddy Dacote". Dacote stands for "Dies at conclusion of this episode". Presumably there would have been more than one protagonist (note that in the prototypes the player face is not visible in the HUD).

No. Dacote was a character who would be talking to one of the four playable survivors via radio (hence why, in the BIGHUD alpha you can see a radio transmission window. He was going to be telling you things, hints, what would be lying ahead.) When you get to the end of the episode you see him getting killed by two giant demons who would later become the Barons of Hell at the end of E1M8.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostCommando Nukem, on 13 April 2020 - 08:15 PM, said:

No. Dacote was a character who would be talking to one of the four playable survivors via radio (hence why, in the BIGHUD alpha you can see a radio transmission window. He was going to be telling you things, hints, what would be lying ahead.) When you get to the end of the episode you see him getting killed by two giant demons who would later become the Barons of Hell at the end of E1M8.

That makes more sense

View PostNightFright, on 13 April 2020 - 01:39 PM, said:

I always wondered why you basically die at the end of ep.1 and then you continue as if nothing happened. But well, maybe death was the price to pay for entering The Shores of Hell. In the end, I just figured the id guys thought it was a cool and shocking ending, fitting the end of the shareware episode. Anticlimactic, too, considering all the ordeals you went through before.

I don't think that story draft has any connection to what happens in the final game

Doom story is given in the text screens at the end of each episode, if you ever took Doom story seriously.

In the first episode, you are a space marine fighting demons from hell who invaded a base on the Phobos moon or Mars, and after cleaning up the base you find yourself transported to the moon of Deimos. At the end of the second episode you discover that Deimos is floating above hell itself. At the end of the third episode, a door opens that leads you back to Earth, but the text implies demons may also come through that door too.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Powering through Eternal's campaign. Having a great time. I've been 100%-ing every level at Ultra-Violence. The Slayer Gate challenges start out tough than get almost impossible, but then the last two are surprisingly easier (I supposed with all my upgrades I ended up getting by then). However, I'm putting the campaign on hold because it takes too long to earn Event XP that way. So I've started a new game slot and am playing at Extra Life Mode in I'm Too Young To Die and replaying the first level over and over because I'm still behind on getting all the Event prizes and today is the last day to claim them. Battlemode doesn't seem to offer as many XP and it's hard to find people to play with anyway on the PS4.

I did some math, it turns out I get 10,500 Event XP for completing level 1 100% without dying. And the level takes about 20 minutes to complete. If the requirements for each level are consistently about 41k Event XP to level up and get the next prize, then I'll need to play about 17 more times for a total of 6 more hours to complete the event. That's if the level up requirements are the same at every level. If it's more, I'll need to grind through it tonight for as long as I can lol.

Anyone else care about these Event prizes? I don't think they're coming back again after they disappear. There's a new event every month. Good excuse to get you playing the game.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 14 April 2020 - 12:55 PM

• The Truth is in here

Tbh I don't care about Eternal until they get rid of Denuvo which bloats the exe by several hundred MBs. They removed it in Doom 2016 about six months after launch and hope they'll do it again.

• The Sarien Encounter

Didn't manage to save the non-DRMed EXE they left in by mistake?

• The Truth is in here

I installed the game too late for that, it seems. Was already gone in my copy.

User is offline   FistMarine 

I haven't seen this posted anywhere in this forum but anyways, it seems that Chex Quest is getting a limited physical edition for the PC!

https://limitedrunga...news/chex-quest

Pre-orders will start in 2 days and will last for 4 weeks! I guess I will be grabbing a copy of this (the cheaper special edition) like I did with SIGIL (standard box) back at end of 2018. I know that Chex Quest 3 is freeware since it was released back in 2008 but it would be nice to have a physical copy of this in my shelf and considering the fact the original game is rare (I know that it was contained inside Chex cereal boxes back in late 90s) and when it appears on eBay it is quite expensive, so this sounds like a nice deal and it is the chance to finally own this game in physical format!

I'm assuming that it's the original game (the first one) they are selling here according to a comment I read on their Facebook page. We don't know any technical details but I hope the original DOS version is included with its unmodified contents (for historical purposes) and maybe include the second and third game as well which are free anyway (Chex 2 was just a PWAD for Chex 1, while Chex 3 contained the first two episodes updated along with a third brand new episode, bundled with old version 2.3.1 of ZDoom source port). I wouldn't mind seeing a more updated version of Chex Quest 3 being included if they decide to bundle it (running in its own executable, maybe based off the original Chex executable which was based off Ultimate/Final Doom executable rather than that outdated ZDoom executable) for the ultimate experience. ;)

I guess they decided to do this to promote the upcoming Chex Quest HD remake that they announced since a few years ago (looking forward to that as well).

For some Doom related news (although 2 weeks late, wish I posted them earlier), the Bethesda ports of classic Doom games were updated at end of March and aside from some QOL (quality of life) improvements (such as automap stats, glad to see this feature in official Doom ports!), they also included a new community addon: No End In Sight.

This post has been edited by RunningDuke: 15 April 2020 - 08:22 AM

User is offline   Steve 64 

Glad to hear that they're doing a new physical release for Chex Quest, not so glad that its Limited Run Games. They feel so scummy to me, like they're trying to encourage scalpers or something. It seems like every time I'm actually interested in a game they're selling I have to be there the instant it goes on sale or its already sold out. And the way the website throws a bunch of sold out things at you first thing if you try to sort things by console. Maybe printing a few more thousand copies really would screw over their business model, but that doesn't make it any better.

User is offline   Player Lin 

This mod recreates most of things in DooM Bible, alpha/beta or other rare things in pre-release era, and you can play as all original 4 named characters from DooM Bible, if one interested about these things...

(Sadly, no Dacote. ;))

EDIT: Chex Quest was something that creator(s?) never thought that will become to an awesome thing, but it end up became a pure awesomeness when released and surprised anybody.

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 16 April 2020 - 07:12 AM

User is offline   Malgon 

The soundtrack for Doom Eternal has now been released for owner's of the CE, which can be downloaded through the Bethesda.net site. Will be a few weeks before it's released on other digital music stores.

https://twitter.com/...593814944428039

On a separate note, recently did another playthrough of Doom 64 and the newly released Lost Levels. Managed to find all the secrets (bar one) and all the Demon Keys for the upgraded Unmaker, only using hints for how to get to the secret levels. A really fun game to play and it's nice to see it getting some appreciation with the new release.

User is offline   Malgon 

Couldn't edit my previous post so will have to double-post this, but it seems that the DE soundtrack wasn't mixed by Mick Gordon for the majority of it leading to a heavily compressed sound. I haven't actually listened to the copy I've downloaded yet (and I probably don't have a good enough ear or equipment to tell enough of a difference), but I do know it is an egregious sin and I can imagine MusicallyInspired cringing while reading about this practice. Obviously Mick is really disappointed with the outcome mentioning that he probably wouldn't work with id again in the future. It seems to be that Bethesda had a hand in this and pushed for it to be released, rather than letting Mick have the necessary control and time to get it right. Whether you're a fan of the music or not, it's hard to deny that the soundtrack in Doom 2016 was widely considered one of its strong points, and messing with that formula seems like a recipe for disaster. Disappointing news to be sure.

https://www.pcgamer....d-you-can-tell/

• The Sarien Encounter

Apparently it's even worse than that. Not only did he not mix and master it but most of the songs weren't even arranged by him leading to awkward time signature changes throughout the songs that he wouldn't have done. All thrown together just to get it out there. Truly truly sad to be sure. A very poisonous foul taste in an otherwise truly wonderful recipe. I feel so bad for Mick. Fricking Bethesda. Probably pushed for it after id flat out said no to monetization and microtransactions.

How in the world are they gonna do another one without Mick? You're shooting yourself in the foot. I feel sick about it.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 21 April 2020 - 04:16 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Nothing wrong with heavy dynamic range compression. It's just another way of doing things. No reason to not take another job either.

• The Truth is in here

Interesting find with Chex Quest. I am not sure however if I need a boxed copy of a game I already played and most likely will never touch again. Also, CQ modding is next to zero and I doubt this release will change anything about that. It's coming "a bit" late as well IMO, but don't let that keep you from ordering if you are obsessed with boxed copies.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 21 April 2020 - 10:31 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostRADAЯ, on 21 April 2020 - 04:44 AM, said:

Nothing wrong with heavy dynamic range compression. It's just another way of doing things. No reason to not take another job either.

It wasn't just a crummy mastering job, it was the piecing together of various stems used from the game. Mick had no control over this. No say in how his music should be pieced together to form a coherent musical piece that's worth listening to on its own outside of the game. Some idiot in marketing with no musical knowledge threw it all together. I wouldn't take another job with them either. They did him dirty.

Here's the full story:
https://www.reddit.c..._didnt_mix_the/

The BFG Division 2020 remix specifically, you can tell based on listening to it and the original Doom OST version that it's way inferior. There's noticeable heaving and clipping and it just sounds bad. The guy even put the introduction section at the end of the track and there's a noticeable slight extra pause in timing as he attempted to combine it with the ending stem the closes off the theme. Nothing follows a steady tempo. Overall it's just incredibly shoddy shoddy work. Ugh.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 21 April 2020 - 02:23 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

It looks like Mick is at least going to try to get his mixes made/released if he can but it's "all a bit weird right now."

Posted Image

He again says that he's going to try to get them up soon. Sounds like he doesn't have the ability/permission right now but he's going to do everything he can to get it out. I'll pay for that one.

Posted Image

• The Sarien Encounter

Really hoping for a skin like this as an exclusive for the Switch port.

Posted Image

User is offline   Dexiaz 

Hey there. Just wanted to show my GZDoom port of Duke's Penthouse Paradise map.

Well, it meant to be played with any Doom weapon/monsters mod, so you can even run it with "Duke3D" mods (which is pretty strange for this map, but still funny).
The map also uses some content from Ion Fury and Duke Nukem Alien Armageddon, everyone are credited.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Watching that be played with the Duke mod but most of the enemy spawns are correct except it's on the doom engine a recreation of a duke map that plays in doom but looks almost like vanilla duke with the duke mod and

That broke my brain

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 30 April 2020 - 07:26 PM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

It would be cool if someone could recreate 1:1 Duke physics in Doom. Would be a nice client/server substitute. No Doom mod gets close though.

This post has been edited by RADAЯ: 01 May 2020 - 11:27 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

I know we've all seen these videos before but I thought this one was especially cool as it uses HDD head readers/hammers/whatever they're called to simulate the percussion. Awesome.

User is offline   Player Lin 

I never watch this one before, pure awesome.

• The Sarien Encounter

So just for everyone's information, if you're ever in the same boat as I am, I own Eternal (standard release) on PS4. I also bought the Deluxe Edition recently on Steam so I could have it all there and ready for when I get my desktop PC up and running again. I had read on the Twitch Doomicorn reward FAQ that the bonus skin would be usable on any platform you play Doom Eternal on as long as you link it with your Bethesda account because that's where it lies. So I started wondering if ALL rewards and unlocks were tied to your Bethesda account like the Series bonus skin/icon/banner rewards, and perhaps even the pre-order bonus Rip And Tear Pack (classic shotgun skin, Doot skin, Cultist Base Master Level), Deluxe Edition bonuses (classic weapon sounds, Demonic Slayer Skin, etc), and dare I hope for the DLC pass itself.

Well, I just bought a key on GAMIVO for the Rip And Tear Pack bonuses and redeemed it on the Bethesda Launcher. I DID NOT pre-order the game (to my regret). Turns out it totally unlocks for not only my Steam copy, but also my PS4 copy! This has allayed my fears that items aren't tied to accounts! I don't think it matters what you play Doom Eternal on, if you connect to your Bethesda account you get all skins you've ever redeemed! Time will tell if the Season Pass DLC is also crossplatform...

I don't think I've seen this level of generosity from a developer for keeping all your stuff wherever you go to play it for a AAA top-dollar single and multiplayer game. I even got Doom 64 on the Bethesda launcher now out of it! (I can live with that)

• The Sarien Encounter

Marty Stratton wrote an open letter to the community about the whole Mick Gordon/OST fiasco. Basically, Mick wasn't even contracted to work on the OST until January and they gave him a time limit. He agreed to it. Then asked for 4 more weeks. They gave him 6 and still said that they would give him the bonus for delivering "on time". He didn't meet his contractual obligation and didn't even fulfill his 12 tracks. He also said that Chad's filling in of the rest of the soundtrack would be acceptable. Seems like a failure of communication in some areas and while I understand Mick's need for more time and also his honest desire to meet a deadline, he should not have said some of the things he said on social media about it. We still only have one side, though. I also don't think id should have ever promised the soundtrack on release. Especially when they hadn't even contracted Mick yet.

A shame on all sides. It seems like everyone's enthusiasm is to blame; id's, Mick's, and the fans'. Having a complete proper OST ready by the time the game launched was just never going to happen and everyone should have known that. Just one of those things...

https://www.reddit.c...st_open_letter/

Full letter:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 04 May 2020 - 04:16 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

Well said. A really unfortunate situation for all. I pre-ordered the CE because the soundtrack was a part of it, but of course if I knew that the workload and time constraints wouldn't have been feasible for it to meet the release date of the game then I would have preferred it not be in the CE at all and instead get a separate release later down the track. What a shame.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It can't be a Bethesda game if some aspect of it isn't a complete shit show.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

I made a little episode for Doom 64 EX about a month ago I finished. It is made for the free version of the original Doom 64 EX not the one on steam. It has 3 maps and you should know I made the majority of it a few years ago.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Info and download: https://turoksanctum...you-doom-64-ex/

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

There need to be more D64EX mods in the world.

Share this topic:

• 157 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options