• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 22 March 2020 - 11:54 AM, said:

I know everyone's talking about DE right now, but recently I was watching TNG with the family and came upon the episode Thine Own Self where Data is in an accident and forgets who he is on a planet with a primitive pre-industrial society. He was carrying a case of radioactive material that makes everyone in the town he stays at sick. Here's what the prop they used for the case looks like.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Yep. It's an ammo box as I recall.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I had known that, I was just excited to see it also used in Star Trek. ;)

User is offline   gemeaux333 

The best easter egg of the game :

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

The Doom reboot series are the best 2 shooters I've played since the Build Trilogy. I think with some minor changes, they could be considered true old school games. The obvious tweaks to me are:

1. Much faster running

2. When in combat against a horde of demons, the area shouldn't be blocked off so that you can't progress.

I'll add more as I think of them, but those are the only concerns I can think of right now. I personally love all the platforming.

The pistol is actually semi-officially present in Eternal's arsenal.

I wonder if this discovery by users will influence the future updates/DLC somehow.

• Judge Mental

I like how it takes inspiration from the OG Doom poster, and the burst fire mode totally hearkens back to all that talk from Hugo about how Robocop was a big inspiration.

I was wondering : What could comes next with this reboot ?

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

Civvie saves the day again. Finally someone who doesn't have id's cock in their mouth.

User is offline   Fauch 

I think they didn't send it to him. When was the last time I saw one of his reviews, did they all look like his pro series?

View Postgemeaux333, on 30 March 2020 - 09:43 AM, said:

I was wondering : What could comes next with this reboot ?

Doomguy gonna run for president.

View PostLazy Dog, on 30 March 2020 - 01:36 PM, said:

Doomguy gonna run for president.

I meant, reported to the original Doom games...

Question: There are single maps or even entire megawads whose architecture and environment retroactively gives you a sensation of a level from DOOM 2016/Eternal now? There is a good possibility that someone also casually created something that resemble the not Hell presidiated parts in Argent D'Nur or Urdak.

To me, one it's Shadows of the Nightmare Realm. I'd like to see more.

Oh, yes: You can turn third person on.

User is offline   Malgon 

Just saw this for those who have Serious Sam Fusion:

• Judge Mental

View Postthricecursed, on 30 March 2020 - 09:46 AM, said:

Civvie saves the day again. Finally someone who doesn't have id's cock in their mouth.

No shit.

All my two gripes were "I think they hit you too quickly with heavy hitters." "Ya know they went a little nuts with the platforming" and got slammed with a bajillion GIT GUDDDD!!!!11111oneone!!!!

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Doom Eternal's combat is brutal. You are thrown in hard, and from a great height. I'm glad in one way because if Doom Eternal were just a re-hash of 2016, it would be nice to have more, but I don't expect Id to sit there fat and happy playing the same tune continuously. We here know how that pans out!

One thing I just can't stand is all the Mario crap. I can't stand platforming at the best of times. It also completely stops the adrenaline-rush of the game hard in it's tracks. You go from ripping and tearing at Mach 9 to a standstill instantly. How is Crash Bandicoot about Demons and Shotguns? No, they don't go together.

Apart from this, DE is one of the most perfectly, lovingly crafted games that's come out in a long while.

• Judge Mental

View PostTea Monster, on 31 March 2020 - 12:16 AM, said:

Doom Eternal's combat is brutal. You are thrown in hard, and from a great height. I'm glad in one way because if Doom Eternal were just a re-hash of 2016, it would be nice to have more, but I don't expect Id to sit there fat and happy playing the same tune continuously. We here know how that pans out!

One thing I just can't stand is all the Mario crap. I can't stand platforming at the best of times. It also completely stops the adrenaline-rush of the game hard in it's tracks. You go from ripping and tearing at Mach 9 to a standstill instantly. How is Crash Bandicoot about Demons and Shotguns? No, they don't go together.

Apart from this, DE is one of the most perfectly, lovingly crafted games that's come out in a long while.

See, and i'm not even saying they had to repeat the beats of Doom 2016. I just think they did it backwards. Like they just throw Arachnotrons at you in five minutes. I get the thinking. It's similar to how Doom 2016 basically smacks you in the face a bit with the first Gore Nest/Imp Encounter.

Platforming, i'm actually okay with the idea. I just think they went ape shit. It worked in Doom 2016 to have some, especially wherein finding bonus items and secrets is concerned. I think they just went for ball-busting jumps too much as a core loop. If it had been me, I would have cut those that are part of the core path in half. Just enough to mix things up between battles, maybe offer a really good vantage point, but not enough that you get stopped in the flow.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Imagine how awesome it would be if Doom 2016 and Eternal had online co-op mode? Man, whatever happened to implementing decent multiplayer in new games?

User is offline   irukanjji 

[quote name='Fantinaikos' timestamp='1585607404' post='340194']
Question: There are single maps or even entire megawads whose architecture and environment retroactively gives you a sensation of a level from DOOM 2016/Eternal now? There is a good possibility that someone also casually created something that resemble the not Hell presidiated parts in Argent D'Nur or Urdak.[/quote]

Check this out, Doom2016 on Quakespasm Engine

download beta version Slayer´s Testament

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Probably late on this, but found a funny secret

Spoiler

• The Sarien Encounter

Finally beat level 1 today. I'm loving this game so far. Still getting used to the flow of the combat but it'll come. I don't mind the platforming so far. But then I've only just beaten level 1. 100%, though.

It certainly is, but I was mostly referring to all maps practically created over time between the beginning in 1993 to 2015, when DOOM 2016 still was have to come out yet, like Eternal. And still a mod for Quake anyway.

Possibly, unless a cognitive bias, one thing that somehow came closer to most recent games atmosphere is the OTHER famous 1996 Eternal.

Eternal Doom III
Eternal Doom IV: Return From Oblivion

Very closer actually. And if you make an hud face comparison... just a coincidental stylistic similarity? ID tried to suggest something to us?

In the meantime, inception was inevitable.

Together with first mod packs.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 31 March 2020 - 04:12 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

This happened to me just now.

https://twitter.com/...204206652284929

Terminator 2 reference !

User is offline   Malgon 

I remember seeing that in 2016 as well. It's still great they kept the reference.

• Judge Mental

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 31 March 2020 - 08:22 PM, said:

This happened to me just now.

https://twitter.com/...204206652284929

One thing is for certain. Doom Eternal is chock-block full of secrets. It's brilliant.

It seems that in one of the expansions of Doom 2 you prevent the events from Hell on earth to happen...

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Playing Eternal Doom in Doom Eternal. My head is about to explode. That's also a way to extend playtime indefinitely.

View Postgemeaux333, on 01 April 2020 - 10:52 AM, said:

It seems that in one of the expansions of Doom 2 you prevent the events from Hell on earth to happen...

The timeline is: ULTIMATE DOOM (with TNT EVILUTION before PLUTONIA EXPERIMENT) -> DOOM II -> NO REST FOR THE LIVING -> DOOM 64 -> DOOM 2016 -> DOOM ETERNAL.

Moreover ID reworked Doomguy's death at the ending of Knee-Deep in the Dead where he get ambushed after using the teleport for Deimos from a commercial shareware suspense trick to an important general lore moment where the spirit of the Slayer (ex-Betrayer), revived his body and fused with him. As Eternal combined with DOOM 2016 testament informations show, after Doomguy decided to remain in Hell (DOOM 64), he got captured and brought to Sentinel Prime from which will follow all the events that will lead him to become the DoomSlayer. Eternal it's the second Hell invasion, with the complicity of an already corrupted UAC.

This "expansion" where Hell on Earth does not happen seems not a thing, unless you mean one of the many alternative story megawads. It is true anyway that in many 90's games was common see endings that looks definitive conclusions since for developers was less easy estimate how much a saga could go on and be successful, sequels were a bet.

Playing Eternal Doom in Doom Eternal. My head is about to explode. That's also a way to extend playtime indefinitely.

It became infinitum.

This post has been edited by Fantinaikos: 01 April 2020 - 01:23 PM

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options