• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   ReaperAA 

Ahem Ahem:
https://www.doomworl...es-dave-franco/

User is offline   ---- 

View PostReaperAA, on 27 June 2019 - 11:03 PM, said:

It is an awesome book that no show can come close to [IMHO].

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

What was he using for that Doom Remake? I'm asking as GZDoom has PBR shading and people have been posting stuff that actually looks better than that mod in actual Doom. What's to stop some corporate goon from shutting down actual Doom mods just because they look modern?

According to the ModDB page it's using GZDoom.

So long as people are modifying the original engine and you have to own the original game to import the assets, there isn't much anyone can do to shut anything down no matter how many new engine features are added.

• Polymancer

Yeah, but nobody is going to pony up a few grand to preserve Doom modding. If they are going after source port graphical mods then that is a very bad sign.

As far as I can tell the guy was just stubborn and refused to remove logos/specific names. Didn't have anything to do with the more modern looking rendering. Hard to say without being able to read the actual C&D letters. There might be additional info out there somewhere I haven't seen.

Edit...

View PostThe Battlelord, on 24 June 2019 - 09:30 PM, said:

Does someone downloaded this mod?

I haven't tried it myself but you can try this link I posted earlier.

This post has been edited by WorkWandaWork: 29 June 2019 - 07:43 PM

• Polymancer

To be fair, I'd be tempted to sue them for using Sitters' models in 2019. Plus, someone has to teach them that using PBR doesn't mean that everything has to be made of chrome.

View PostWorkWandaWork, on 29 June 2019 - 06:14 PM, said:

As far as I can tell the guy was just stubborn and refused to remove logos/specific names. Didn't have anything to do with the more modern looking rendering. Hard to say without being able to read the actual C&D letters. There might be additional info out there somewhere I haven't seen.

Edit...

I haven't tried it myself but you can try this link I posted earlier.

Thanks, already did the first day it was reuploaded :D.
It is not exactly the same obviously, the "original" was around 1.5 GB, some settings are a little bit different, also, it lacks the metal music.
Anyway, is not so much different and the music wads can be downloaded separately.

Create a new folder in the main directory and name it "Skins" (in the "original" the music wad was included in "res" folder, but it won't kick in in this one)., then insert the wad in Skins folder.I think it was this one IDKFAv2, but you can always keep the old stock musics, or even download the new versions.

For those who want to play a smooth game there are 2 tricks (in the second level you may really need it) :

- Go in video settings and lower the Scale Factor ie: from 1.0 to 0.50 (graphics may look crappy but playable).
- Start the game from "Launch_DR4" (NOT the Experimental one), this is like to use Polymost instead of Polymer, just increase a little bit the Gamma, or the game may looks darker than usual.

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 30 June 2019 - 01:50 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I love this:
Posted Image

Hey guys. I snagged up this rare Doom 64 Promo poster off of eBay for like $17.99. I even made a tweet about it! Gonna put it in a picture frame.

https://twitter.com/...069769745457152

Posted Image

View PostDustFalcon85, on 13 July 2019 - 03:23 PM, said:

Hey guys. I snagged up this rare Doom 64 Promo poster off of eBay for like $17.99.

Ah, so it was you who bought it. I was strongly considering buying that listing to replace my very damaged copy, but I figured it'd do more good for someone else.

User is offline   axl 

View PostMarphy Black, on 13 July 2019 - 11:45 PM, said:

Ah, so it was you who bought it. I was strongly considering buying that listing to replace my very damaged copy, but I figured it'd do more good for someone else.

Wow ! Nice collection you've got there dude.

So, i was playing Resurrection of Evil when

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 15 July 2019 - 02:13 PM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

It's adorable when early/mid-2000s AI breaks, isn't it?

View PostNinety-Six, on 15 July 2019 - 02:26 PM, said:

It's adorable when early/mid-2000s AI breaks, isn't it?

Yep

I'm just playing normally.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 15 July 2019 - 02:52 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Yay, I finally found the most important GZDoom mod ever created:
Posted Image
Dat split widescreen HUD! The only one that matters, the original, the classic, the one with the mugshot now properly fits in widescreen! :dukecigar: What a win, after so many terribly overdesigned HUD mods the technology is finally there!
https://forum.zdoom....hp?f=46&t=63863
Thank you NightFright for pushing the Doom modding scene forward!

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 23 July 2019 - 11:04 PM

For a mere case i noticed that all the Doom games on Steam just got 67% discounted, (more than during the summer sales, troll style) until July 30.Run to buy somethiing missed in yours collection!

I still prefer zdoom's alternative hud. It would only be perfect if it had the face. Otherwise it provides more information than the default status bar, including what armor type you're wearing and if you have a berserk or not, both of which I think are very important.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

If you like to have all the information you can possibly have + the mugshot I think the HXRTC HUD might be a good choice:
https://forum.zdoom....hp?f=46&t=47539

And yep, there's a QuakeCon sale going on for everything Bethesda and that's usually better than their summer sale prices.

View PostZaxx, on 24 July 2019 - 12:20 AM, said:

If you like to have all the information you can possibly have + the mugshot I think the HXRTC HUD might be a good choice:
https://forum.zdoom....hp?f=46&t=47539

ooh, thanke

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

View PostZaxx, on 23 July 2019 - 10:52 PM, said:

Yay, I finally found the most important GZDoom mod ever created: [...]

Glad that you like it! The idea for the split mode wasn't originally mine since it came from a ZDoom community member. Not to forget the whole project was started by DTDsphere and was merely continued by me later on. Anyway I did what I usually do: Take an existing concept and polish it as much as possible for a shiny result.

There are many approaches for a "perfect" HUD and many people out there will still prefer other solutions, but I think this one is a good compromise for those that wish to keep the vanilla-style visuals. Plus it works with most Doom pwads that merely replace the statusbar graphics.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 24 July 2019 - 03:26 AM

View PostZaxx, on 24 July 2019 - 12:20 AM, said:

And yep, there's a QuakeCon sale going on for everything Bethesda and that's usually better than their summer sale prices.

Whaaaat!? Daaamn, i was waiting for them in August, like usual lol

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostNightFright, on 24 July 2019 - 02:15 AM, said:

There are many approaches for a "perfect" HUD and many people out there will still prefer other solutions, but I think this one is a good compromise for those that wish to keep the vanilla-style visuals.

And vanilla style visuals is why I think that not having the option to make the HUD widescreen friendly was something that was dearly missing from GZDoom. The thing is that nowadays HUDs are simpler and cleaner, it is a goal to make them as unremarkable as possible while in the case of Doom even from the functionally almost useless mugshot you can see that id wanted to make something flashy. That's how a HUD for an FPS game looked like in those days and I think that should be preserved even if we have different looking monitors. For Doom that's even pretty easy to do since the HUD is divided into panels, there's no fancy artwork on the sides etc.

• The Truth is in here

Unfortunately some custom statusbars deviate from the standard design, which is why this mod doesn't work 100% for all pwads in split mode. I am trying to provide patches for the most important ones. Often it's just about a few pixels. In general, the whole thing works well.

I just wanted to make the split bar look as authentic as possible without losing the mugshot which is in my opinion the most characteristic feature of the Doom statusbar, plus it indicates from which direction damage comes from. Other approaches had the arms panel there and I found a different approach for that. It turned out OK, I think.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 24 July 2019 - 04:03 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Guess as a next step from there an interesting thing would be iterating on it in such a way that the classic HUD was compatible with more "out there" gameplay mods like Brutal Doom. I dunno if adding stuff like max ammo / ammo in clip counter, the number of grenades the player has etc. would be possible though with keeping the original aesthetic.

I know that it's certainly something Sgt Mark IV wanted to do at some point because he made a few simple HUDs that had the mugshot on them but imo he was never good at HUD design.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 24 July 2019 - 04:27 PM

• The Truth is in here

Well, the mod already supports primary and secondary ammo display, even though I didn't put too much effort into it and it cannot use the original font any more since the numbers have to be smaller. It's something, but I guess you gotta draw the borderline somewhere if you don't want to sacrifice too much of the original look.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 24 July 2019 - 04:46 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Doom, Doom 2, and Doom 3 are all getting a surprise release on Nintendo Switch. What the heck.

https://nintendoever...n-switch-today/

Doom 1 and 2 include 4-player local deathmatch and coop! I don't think that means splitscreen, but it would be nice if it did, given the Switch's natural affinity for couch multiplayer.

Here’s an overview of each title:

-DOOM (1993) includes:
The expansion, Episode IV: Thy Flesh Consumed, with 9 additional action-packed levels
Local 4 player deathmatch
Local 4 player co-op

-The re-release of DOOM II includes:
The Master Levels, 20 additional levels made by the community and supervised by the developers
Local 4 player multiplayer
Local 4 player co-op
To save Earth, you must descend into the depths of hell, survive demon hordes, and take part in the fiercest battle ever.

DOOM 3 includes:
-the Resurrection of Evil and The Lost Missions expansion packs.

Doom, Doom II, and Doom 3 cost £3.99, £3.99, and £7.99 respectively. Stay tuned for US pricing.

EDIT: "Update (26th July, 15:40 BST): And suddenly, links to both DOOM II and DOOM 3 have suddenly stopped working. You can still see the game page for the original DOOM, however.

Did someone at Nintendo jump the gun here? A possible leak from QuakeCon taking place this weekend? It certainly seems so. Hopefully all the games will release today as originally stated."

EDIT 2: Apparently now even Doom I has been removed. What the heck is going on?

EDIT 3: Well, someone bought it before it went down. When they launched it this unskippable screen pops up.

Posted Image

So you can't play it until you get a Bethesda account. You at least can play offline later, but this is a freaking stupid move. Why in the world do you need an online account to play Doom??

Looks like Doom 3 requires a BNet account for "certain features." Who knows what they are. There's no multiplayer for it.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 26 July 2019 - 09:46 AM

The classic Doom games are not even ports, just lousy """remakes""" made in Unity.
https://twitter.com/...817042614226944
Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Eww. Hard pass.

Apparently there are still XBLA graphic thumbnail files in the data. Someone did find the WAD file so it's just the engine recreated I guess.

But still, eww. Hard pass.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 26 July 2019 - 12:48 PM

User is offline   HulkNukem 

What a quick rollercoaster of emotions when I read Doom 1-3 are on Switch and then immediately reading about all this.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 26 July 2019 - 01:44 PM

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options