Duke4.net Forums: Doom Corner - Duke4.net Forums

• 157 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Lets be honest, for all intents and purposes, Wolfenstein is now a Machinegames property.
id Software has done more work for Fallout 4 and Rage 2 helping with the combat than they have done for the new Wolfenstein series.

The main thing to ever worry about is the connective tissue housing all of them and that's Bethesda/Zenimax

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 28 July 2019 - 05:51 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

id Software has done more work for Fallout 4 and Rage 2 helping with the combat than they have done for the new Wolfenstein series.

Haha, no. When in an interview Willits was aksed which project has more developers from id: Quake Champions or RAGE 2, he answered Quake Champions. Only a skeleton crew is working on QC from id, the rest of the development was outsourced so less than that is pretty much nothing. As for Fallout 4: that game doesn't even have any id employees on its credits. Overall this "yeah, id Software helped with the weapon mechanics" shit is something that Bethesda has already used 2 times in its marketing campaigns and there is pretty much no truth to it whatsoever. It sounds cool because people associate id with good FPS titles and hey, they might have asked them a few questions during development so that means they helped out, right?

So you know, at least in the case of the Wolf games you know that the engine is an id product.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 28 July 2019 - 10:59 PM

Actually I just read an article saying id Software helped with some of the Wolfenstein stuff so that part of my post is irrelevant anyways. There's also no reason to assume they're lying about id Software helping out in the other titles (also lol @ dismissing them but believing Tim Willits, come on man)

Even still, the rest of my post holds true. Wolfenstein is now Machinegames' baby while Zenimax/Bethesda owns everything while it doesn't have a whole lot to do with id Software anymore which was the point MusicallyInspired was making. Hell the id logo doesn't even play before Youngblood starts. Fuegerstef is still totally allowed and right to feel concern for Doom Eternal because it still falls under the same parent company who have been making some really weird decisions lately.

In any case this whole thing is an argument over semantics that's been stretched out long past its expiration.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 29 July 2019 - 01:16 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Well, the part where Willits said that was in an interview he gave for promiting RAGE 2:
https://youtu.be/Z-DHA_ZLuAk?t=31

And then here's what the CEO of Avalanche Studios had to say on the subject:
https://twitter.com/...642085429022720

What did id do on RAGE 2? Most likely some consulting along with Tim Willits having a producer role.

Now there are actual examples of id Software doing something other than their own stuff like how a large portion of id Tech 6 was rewritten for The New Colossus or how Fallout 76 is using the netcode id and Saber Interactive initially developed for Quake Champions but that's pretty much it. Compared to other AAA studios id Software is relatively small so apart from Adam Pyle's Quake team (that's only around 4-5 people, they are maintaining QC and they did the work on Quake Live before that) everybody is working on Doom.

As for Wolfenstein: yeah, apart from the engine it is essentially MachineGames's baby now but that's nothing new for the series, the last thing that id Software actually worked on connected to Wolf was Wolf 3D and Spear of Destiny. And sure, nobody has worked on Youngblood from id, they moved away from id Tech 6 quite a while ago so YB is still using the TNC version of id Tech 6.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 29 July 2019 - 01:29 AM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

When it comes to Doom Eternal you can bet your ass that there will be microtransactions connected to cosmetics (that is if Bethesda doesn't get scared of the reception they got for RAGE 2 and Youngblood) but so far it looks like that all of that will be connected BattleMode, the multiplayer portion.

User is offline   Lunick 

They removed the NIN reference in E4M1.... https://twitter.com/...951415610630147

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Lol someone in the replies is wondering if they slowed down the music to avoid copyright infringement.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 29 July 2019 - 05:53 PM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

This port just keeps getting worse and worse.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 29 July 2019 - 04:01 PM, said:

Lol someone in the replies is wondering if they slowed down the music to avoid copyright infringement.

The NIN reference is a near identical copy of a logo, which is trademarked. The law there is quite different from something like a plagiarized soundtracked. Given the time since the original release of Doom, it's not possible to sue now and the owners of the Doom IP would be considered rightful owners of any similarity in the soundtrack.

While it's possible they would still attempt to avoid a lawsuit, slowing down the soundtrack would be ineffective since it would be possible to revert it and prove a pre-existing similarity. It's more likely incompetence/carelessness of the developers.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 29 July 2019 - 04:01 PM, said:

It's apparently due to the music being recorded at 48 KHz and then incorrectly resampled down to 44.1 KHz

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

If I recall the XBox port also had the wrong sampling for all sounds.

John Carmack announced he will be on the Joe Rogan podcast next month

• The Sarien Encounter

Oh wow. Checking that one out.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Boy, am I glad I own the original unaltered versions of the game(s). I hate when they mess with the originals.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Making music slower wouldn't negate any actual copyright infringement anyhow. Not that I think any of the music in the Doom series classifies as infringing. It's different enough.

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostLunick, on 29 July 2019 - 07:08 PM, said:

It's apparently due to the music being recorded at 48 KHz and then incorrectly resampled down to 44.1 KHz

I don't think that's the case because the pitch would be off. But when I listened to it it sounded right, just slow.

I could be wrong, I didn't do a side-by-side comparison. Is there a reference video?

But yeah, that's not going to negate copyright infringement lol.

EDIT: I just checked a video of Doom for Switch and compared it to my SC-55 recordings. Same pitch. Just slowed down. I don't know what they did to record it this way but they did something wrong. The difference in sampling rates is pretty much proportional to the SPEED of the tracks, but not the pitch. It's like they recorded the music at a higher pitch (but normal speed) and then reduced it to the proper pitch (but slower speed). It doesn't make any sense.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 July 2019 - 09:07 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostFox, on 29 July 2019 - 07:06 PM, said:

The NIN reference is a near identical copy of a logo, which is trademarked. The law there is quite different from something like a plagiarized soundtracked. Given the time since the original release of Doom, it's not possible to sue now and the owners of the Doom IP would be considered rightful owners of any similarity in the soundtrack.

While it's possible they would still attempt to avoid a lawsuit, slowing down the soundtrack would be ineffective since it would be possible to revert it and prove a pre-existing similarity. It's more likely incompetence/carelessness of the developers.

I never thought there was actually a case for suing for plagiarism for the Doom soundtrack. I'd sooner think that Bobby Prince would have a valid issue before any of the bands he parodied in the soundtrack. I kow he shut down that indie remix album with Duke Nukem II tracks.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 30 July 2019 - 07:25 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

Some more info re: Doom using Unity https://d8d.org/prof...l/doom-classic/

• The Sarien Encounter

I heard that elsewhere actually. Nifty that it works. Just wish they'd fix the stupid music.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

View PostLunick, on 30 July 2019 - 04:16 PM, said:

Some more info re: Doom using Unity https://d8d.org/prof...l/doom-classic/

Sponge worked on the new Doom ports? Man, that QC dev team is getting smaller and smaller.

User is offline   ReaperAA 

For anyone who wants to to play doom on Switch but is disappointed by the new ports, have u tried Odamex?

(I personally have never used Odamex in my life, but I can still bet that it would be better than the official ports)

• The Sarien Encounter

How does Odamex work on the Switch?

When it comes to source ports, there are already great ports to Switch homebrew via CFW. But CFW on the Switch is at a much higher risk of banning the console (and sometimes your NNID account itself) than earlier consoles.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 31 July 2019 - 06:00 AM

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 31 July 2019 - 05:59 AM, said:

How does Odamex work on the Switch?

When it comes to source ports, there are already great ports to Switch homebrew via CFW. But CFW on the Switch is at a much higher risk of banning the console (and sometimes your NNID account itself) than earlier consoles.

I don't know as I don't own a Switch. I just mentioned Odamex as an alternative for those craving for doom on Switch. Someone would have to ask Odamex devs about it.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostReaperAA, on 31 July 2019 - 11:31 AM, said:

I don't know as I don't own a Switch. I just mentioned Odamex as an alternative for those craving for doom on Switch.

If people want to play on PC, I'm pretty sure they would know to use a source port. People on consoles generally don't have an alternative and should expect better

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

DF ripped a new asshole on the Doom 1-2 ports:

As he should. Really, one of the disappointing aspects about this, for me at least, is that we've yet again been denied a solid and non-compromised port of the classic doom games on the go (talking about the switch version). We have the tech now. Having botched ports like this is just plain inexcusable.

I still would kill for a near-PC quality port of Doom (and DN3D, for that matter) on a portable system that doesn't require me to enter the realm of console hacking. Being able to shoot monsters in the face while I'm not able to use my machine is turning into a holy grail at this point.

• The Sarien Encounter

The GBA ports are pretty good. It splits a couple levels up for Doom 2 but I thought they were pretty well done.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 01 August 2019 - 04:31 AM, said:

The GBA ports are pretty good. It splits a couple levels up for Doom 2 but I thought they were pretty well done.

Good, yes. But not uncompromised (particularly with the censorship, resolution, and framerate, and in the case of Doom 1, still uses the Jaguar version as a base). We have the tech to run a perfect port on handheld, but nobody wants to deliver. It's incredibly frustrating.

Posted Image

Just something i randomly found.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 02 August 2019 - 10:07 PM

Share this topic:

• 157 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options