• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I know. :dukecigar:

I really should have checked here before I did it, but I’m having an exceptionally boring night at work and saw on Twitter that Doom is out on, not just this generation of consoles, but iOS and Android as well. Naturally I bought it. $7, which is frankly highway robbery when the original goes for like $3 on steam and I’ve already got at least five copies of the game but what the hell, I’m very bored.

Get this; always online DRM. Require a Bethesda Network account to play singleplayer. To even get to the Jesus menu screen!

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Also: not including No Rest for the Living for Doom 2 is just a sin. I'm just baffled that the whole Doom 1-2 collection only got released once for PS3 under Doom Classic Complete. Would it be so hard to add No Rest for the Living and Final Doom in there?

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostZaxx, on 26 July 2019 - 05:02 PM, said:

Also: not including No Rest for the Living for Doom 2 is just a sin. I'm just baffled that the whole Doom 1-2 collection only got released once for PS3 under Doom Classic Complete. Would it be so hard to add No Rest for the Living and Final Doom in there?

This is the thing that bothers me the most. They're throwing in those mostly-crap Master Levels, but not Final Doom? Regardless of how one feels about FD, I think we can all at least agree that its low points aren't any lower than TML. So if that gets in, FD should too.

Sadly I wasn't even expecting NRFTL. Id has treated that like the black sheep of the franchise pretty much since it came out. Even its rerelease in Doom 3 BFG had completely broken metadata; a sign of how little they actually cared. It doesn't deserve that treatment at all but that is the only way it has been treated.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 26 July 2019 - 06:01 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Yeah, if you start NRFTL from the port inside D3 BFG Edition the wrong music will play. :dukecigar: ZDoom-based source ports have a fix implemented though so the wad will work fine on those.

View PostZaxx, on 26 July 2019 - 06:30 PM, said:

Yeah, if you start NRFTL from the port inside D3 BFG Edition the wrong music will play. :dukecigar: ZDoom-based source ports have a fix implemented though so the wad will work fine on those.

I know, but that's the thing. Fans had to fix what should have been taken care of pre-launch.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

Doom 64 got rated for PS4 and PC recently. It was rated alongside Doom 1 and 2 which also just came out on PS4 so I think its a good sign its coming.

Hopefully its Kaiser doing the port as apparently the 1 and 2 ports are remade in Unity and run slower than normal Doom.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostHulkNukem, on 26 July 2019 - 07:39 PM, said:

Hopefully its Kaiser doing the port as apparently the 1 and 2 ports are remade in Unity and run slower than normal Doom.

They look like they are running at the intended 35fps

• The Sarien Encounter

Reports are that it's NOT always-online DRM. Just a one-time activation. But still. I might get Doom 3 though since it's the least offending of the three.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 26 July 2019 - 08:25 PM

View PostLunick, on 26 July 2019 - 07:44 PM, said:

They look like they are running at the intended 35fps

They looked a bit slower to me, though I watched just one video (could also very well be I'm used to source ports)
People are saying the music is slow so it's possible thats whats causing it to look off to me

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 26 July 2019 - 08:21 PM, said:

Reports are that it's NOT always-online DRM. Just a one-time activation. But still. I might get Doom 3 though since it's the least offending of the three.

The one saving grace for Doom 1 and 2 is that they have split screen. No online however seems like a miss step considering the 360 port had it. I'll wait and see if the games get patched at all.

I did go ahead and get Doom 3 though. When the BNet login screen appears you can just press B to close it.
Oddly the game includes an FOV slider.
Even more odd that it includes the ability to have the flashlight cast shadows or not. This was in the PC version of BFG Edition but not the console versions when it came out and its inclusion is weird to me.

It runs buttery smooth and looks real sharp.

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 26 July 2019 - 09:08 PM

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Doom 64 hype intensifies:
https://twitter.com/...880866901987328

• The Sarien Encounter

The music is indeed slow. And it bugs the crap out of me.

you'd almost swear gearbox was behind these ports

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Btw. the wads are the same censored versions that were in Doom 3 BFG Edition too: no more red crosses on medkits, no more nazis, swastikas and Hitler portraits on Doom 2's secret levels. That last one is especially bad since they didn't replace that stuff with new art but just removed them which makes finding secrets harder.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 27 July 2019 - 01:22 AM

View PostZaxx, on 27 July 2019 - 01:22 AM, said:

no more nazis, swastikas and Hitler portraits on Doom 2's secret levels.

wow that's lazy.

wait does that mean somebody made the conscious decision to throw out NRFTL? They couldn't be assed to check the secret levels, but cared enough to say "yeah screw the bonus campaign nobody likes that."

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I have no idea why NRFTL was removed, especially since the Doom 1-2 ports were made by Nerve Software now too so you know, the devs of NRFTL (and also Duke World Tour lololololol).

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 27 July 2019 - 01:44 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

LOL apparently you don't need a legit email to login. Great work, Bethesda.

https://mobile.twitt...083399448559616

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 27 July 2019 - 07:15 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Bethesda gave an update on D1 and D2 forced logins. Apparently they were supposed to be optional:

https://twitter.com/...140773215649793

Update on our new classic DOOM releases:

The BethesdaNet login requirement was included for the Slayers Club, to reward members for playing the classic DOOM games.

The login should be optional, and we are working on changing the requirement to optional now.

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Will they say the same thing about Youngblood microtransactions once too many people complain about them?

Geez, slowly I am getting really worried about Doom Eternal...

User is offline   ---- 

View PostNightFright, on 27 July 2019 - 08:14 AM, said:

Will they say the same thing about Youngblood microtransactions once too many people complain about them?

Same here ... 2 id properties* not handeled well doesn't make me confident in Doom Eternal. The game itself will probably great ... but I fear that there is too muich crap around it.

*) 3 if you count the Doom login-thingie on Switch

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 27 July 2019 - 08:48 AM

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

I don't know whether to be sad or comforted that it's not just Duke that gets garbage treatment among classic shooters. Posted Image

View PostNightFright, on 27 July 2019 - 08:14 AM, said:

I think to know what you mean, when too much people are involved you can expect everything.
Look at Youtube, emails and many other services, now you Must enter your f*cking phone number if you want to open a new account, call it freedom and privacy...
I hope also that Doom Eternal won't get too much Skyrimized, i have nothing against GDR games, i liked so much Morrowind etc... but the Elder of Scrolls ARE GDR, Doom IS a FPS.I don't think that they will put censures on it (like the medkits), many doubts still there anyways.

This post has been edited by The Battlelord: 27 July 2019 - 12:35 PM

Doom 64 on Switch needs to happen

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 27 July 2019 - 03:27 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

View Postfuegerstef, on 27 July 2019 - 08:42 AM, said:

Same here ... 2 id properties* not handeled well doesn't make me confident in Doom Eternal. The game itself will probably great ... but I fear that there is too muich crap around it.

*) 3 if you count the Doom login-thingie on Switch

Technically the new Wolfenstein games don't really have anything to do with id Software anymore. They gave the rights to MachineGames in 2010. I mean, it's all under the Bethesda roof, but yeah. Not an id property anymore.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 27 July 2019 - 07:33 PM, said:

Technically the new Wolfenstein games don't really have anything to do with id Software anymore. They gave the rights to MachineGames in 2010. I mean, it's all under the Bethesda roof, but yeah. Not an id property anymore.

I don't think that's right.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

I know what you mean by saying "technically" but... id Software still owns the Wolfenstein IP. Id is a subsidiary to Zenimax meaning that Zenimax is the parent company to id Software. A subsidiary is a legally separate company that is owned by another company so id Software LLC is still an LLC and it continues to own its IPs, it's just controlled by Zenimax from the top.

Now Zenimax itself is a holding company, it literally does nothing but owns its subsidiaries in order to control / coordinate them. They own id Software, Bethesda Softworks, MachineGames etc. but legally there is no other kind of ownership going on between those companies. So for example contrary to popular belief Bethesda Softworks actually doesn't own id Software, Zenimax does and it uses its other companies to produce games out of id IPs. So id Software licenses development to MachineGames but id Software is in a publishing agreement with Bethesda Softworks so in the case of Wolf Bethesda is publishing an id Software game that was developed by MachineGames. :dukecigar: This is also why if you go and look up the trademark situation of id IPs what you'll see is that all the trademarks are owned by id Software.

So while the company did change owners when going from independent to being part of Zenimax, the stuff it has is still under the same roof so to speak. And sure, this doesn't really change the fact that Zenimax owns everything but it could be worse because usually publishers own the IP these days instead of dev studios. This will be a bad example since those guys are basically one and the same (and in the past they actually were one and the same) but let's look at Fallout: Bethesda Softworks owns the IP, Bethesda Game Studios is a division (not a subsidiary) of Bethesda Softworks so it owns nothing.

This post has been edited by Zaxx: 27 July 2019 - 09:48 PM

User is offline   ---- 

Yeah, technically it is the same for Wolfenstein and DooM. And in both games you still get the id-logo.

THat's why I said that the game itself will be cool (shooting mechanics and all). But I fear that they might come up with stuff like "additional glory kills can be bought with ingame gems or if you grind, grind and grind for hours".

View Postfuegerstef, on 27 July 2019 - 11:45 PM, said:

Yeah, technically it is the same for Wolfenstein and DooM. And in both games you still get the id-logo.

THat's why I said that the game itself will be cool (shooting mechanics and all). But I fear that they might come up with stuff like "additional glory kills can be bought with ingame gems or if you grind, grind and grind for hours".

That won't happen but you can bet your ass they will sell cosmetic skins for the battlemode.
I mean they made the Doot Revenant a pre order bonus skin, the writing is already on the wall.

Luckily this seems to be the only mode and I won't be touching it; the singleplayer looks untouched from microtransaction possibilities. (Fingers crossed)

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 28 July 2019 - 02:26 AM

User is offline   ---- 

View PostHulkNukem, on 28 July 2019 - 02:25 AM, said:

That won't happen but you can bet your ass they will sell cosmetic skins for the battlemode.

I had in mind that Glory Kills are basically skins (in the meaning of just different animations) for a finishing move. It won't affect gameplay, if you only have for example 3 different animations from behind on a Revenant instead of 5 (and you can buy the two additional animations for just 430 pink ballons (the new ingame currency for DooM)).

• The Sarien Encounter

That's the way I had it figured but Wikipedia actually said that id gave the rights to MachineGames. I guess this is one of those few instances where Wikipedia actually got it wrong.

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options