Doom Corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

I can play along:

D1:
-Containment Area (E2M2)
-Nuclear Plant (E1M2)
-Command Control (E1M4)

D2:
-The Citadel (MAP19; also officially my favorite id-made Doom level period)
-Dead Simple (MAP07; but really, any of the first seven maps could go here, so consider it a 7-way tie)
-Suburbs (MAP16)

And because why not:

TNT:
-Wormhole (MAP04)
-Pharaoh* (MAP31)
-Central Processing (MAP20)

*only with the patch applied

Plutonia:
-Odyssey of Noises (MAP29)
-Go 2 It (MAP32)
-The Sewers (MAP28)

EDIT: Completely forgot No Rest For the Living
-Hell Mountain (favorite official Doom level of all time)
-The Pain Labs
-The Earth Base

(I did not forget the Master Levels; most of them are just meh to me at best, and The Cabal at worst)

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 19 February 2019 - 11:11 AM

User is offline   axl 

Oh okay, since we're revisting all classic doom, let me complete my previous list then :)

DOOM

- Toxin Refinery (E1M3)
- Computer Station (E1M7)
- Containment Area (E2M2)

DOOM 2

- Industrial Zone (map 15)
- O of Destruction (map 11)
- Tenements (map 17)

TNT (really difficult since I don't like TNT at all)

- Caribbean (map 32)
- Heck (map 28)
- Pharaoh (map 31)

PLUTONIA (love them all, maybe not Tombstone)

- Odyssey of Noises (map 29)
- Go2 it (map 32)
- Speed (map 12)

NO REST FOR THE LIVING (my god, what a brilliant episode)

- Hell Mountain (map 4)
- Vivisection (map 5)
- The Earth Base (map 1)

MASTER LEVELS (too hard to pick my favorite ones, as like you said... most of them are really meh)

This post has been edited by axl: 19 February 2019 - 11:27 AM

User is offline   Steambull 

This is a very long shot, but just in case someone is familiar with a similar problem...

So, one of the maps in the WAD I'm working on (the map is ~95% done, which is why this is particularly annoying) has 7 secrets, but when I test play and make sure I tag all the sectors, the results screen gives me 87% for secrets, which suggests 7 out of 8. So, there's most likely a glitched secret in my level. I can't find anything but the ones that are supposed to be there, even with the editor's search function:

Attached Image: secrets.jpg

I don't have any idea how to approach this problem, suggestions extremely welcome. I'm using the modern "Doom Builder 2"

This post has been edited by Steambull: 24 February 2019 - 03:08 AM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Out of curiosity, if you load it up in a port like zdoom or some other port that is able to live-track secrets, what does it say?

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 24 February 2019 - 10:20 AM

User is offline   Steambull 

In GZDoom it says x/8 secrets indeed. I think I'll start deleting different portions of the map and loading it up to see if I can make it 7.

Castelvania Simon's Destiny mod reached version 1.4

https://www.moddb.co...ons-destiny-v14

DooM footage, in a video about why I haven't done a video since last year....that counts for something, right?

(Also, for fairness' sake, I do in fact mention how previous attempts at doing a Let's Play of Thy Flesh Consumed didn't exactly work out....)

This post has been edited by Major Tom: 01 March 2019 - 01:29 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

Yup.

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Looks like the previous one except with female soldier instead of Rock (since modern trends are different in USA).
Also:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 12 March 2019 - 12:22 AM

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Well, the trailer really wasn't good. It doesn't mean the actual movie sucks, but good advertising is certainly done differently...

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Look on the bright side: it's a portal to Hell now instead of the virus of the 2005 movie! :)

I'd call this good, honest advertising actually, I mean after watching that 30 seconds it's fully obvious that Universal just made some half-assed, cheap shit to stop their Doom movie licence from expiring.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Someone said it's within the original Doom movie's universe though. Which is weird.

User is offline   Zaxx 

• Banned

Yeah, the video description says that it's a sequel. :)

• The Truth is in here

When watching the trailer again, it kinda looks like a spot for a low to mid-range budget TV show. If this was meant for a Doom TV series, it might have actually been kinda OK-ish. However it absolutely does not convey any cinematic atmosphere (even though it's not meant to be a theatrical release).

For Chrissakes, what on Earth (or Mars) does it take to make a decent Doom movie these days? Maybe someone should just record 90 minutes of Knee-Deep in the Dead gameplay (HMP for PG13/UV for R) and sell that to a Hollywood studio. :)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 12 March 2019 - 08:15 AM

User is offline   ReaperAA 

View PostNightFright, on 12 March 2019 - 08:11 AM, said:

For Chrissakes, what on Earth (or Mars) does it take to make a decent Doom movie these days? Maybe someone should just record 90 minutes of Knee-Deep in the Dead gameplay (HMP for PG13/UV for R) and sell that to a Hollywood studio. :)

Or maybe something like this:

This is what I call quality entertainment (much better than any doom movie).

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 12 March 2019 - 09:19 AM

View PostMalgon, on 11 March 2019 - 11:55 PM, said:

Yup.

kudos to them, i didn't think they could f*ck it up even worse than 2005 Doom.

• The Truth is in here

Weren't they also planning another theatrical version? Maybe the third installation will work out...

View PostNightFright, on 12 March 2019 - 10:04 AM, said:

Weren't they also planning another theatrical version? Maybe the third installation will work out...

third time's the charm?

Posted Image

don't think so

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Annthilation? Wut?

User is offline   Aristotle Gumball 

• banned!

View PostTea Monster, on 12 March 2019 - 11:56 PM, said:

Annthilation? Wut?

Lol, just noticed it too. The doomslayer will finally face his ultimate nemesis - ants.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostNightFright, on 12 March 2019 - 06:38 AM, said:

Well, the trailer really wasn't good. It doesn't mean the actual movie sucks, but good advertising is certainly done differently...

No, it's pretty self evident this movie is bad. Low budget, delayed repeatedly, no-name cast. Really terrible production design depicted in the stills and in the trailer.

This is a dumpster fire. No defending this shit. Seriously. Shit. Show.

• The Truth is in here

How did they manage to get permission for a low-budged direct-to-video release in the first place, anyway? id should at least apply some quality control here, they can't just let them go ahead and produce one crap movie after the other. It's amazing enough how fast they distanced themselves from this production.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 13 March 2019 - 02:01 AM

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

• Once you start doubting, there's no end to it

Seeing what kind of garbage ZeniMax produces nowadays (FO76) it doesn't surprise me at all that someone thought it would be a good idea to give it to some another bunch of garbage makers in Hollywood.

User is offline   NNC 

View Postaxl, on 19 February 2019 - 11:27 AM, said:

Oh okay, since we're revisting all classic doom, let me complete my previous list then :)

DOOM

- Toxin Refinery (E1M3)
- Computer Station (E1M7)
- Containment Area (E2M2)

DOOM 2

- Industrial Zone (map 15)
- O of Destruction (map 11)
- Tenements (map 17)

TNT (really difficult since I don't like TNT at all)

- Caribbean (map 32)
- Heck (map 28)
- Pharaoh (map 31)

PLUTONIA (love them all, maybe not Tombstone)

- Odyssey of Noises (map 29)
- Go2 it (map 32)
- Speed (map 12)

NO REST FOR THE LIVING (my god, what a brilliant episode)

- Hell Mountain (map 4)
- Vivisection (map 5)
- The Earth Base (map 1)

MASTER LEVELS (too hard to pick my favorite ones, as like you said... most of them are really meh)

Doom: E1M2, E1M3, E1M7, E2M2, E4M6 (Against Thee Wickedly is really an awesome level)
Doom II: Map 06, Map 11, Map 27, Map 28, Map 29 (Monster Condo is my favourite level of classic Dooom)
Plutonia: still not a fan, but I kinda enjoyed Abattoire of it's visuals despite WTF trap at the end, and some later maps like Impossible Mission.
NRFTL: all of it, probably my favourite thing ever in Doom, but in particular: Canyon of Dead, Hell Mountain, March of the Demons and Baron's Banquet.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

I was going to say I appreciate that there wasn't a 5 second preview of the trailer in front of the actual trailer which is the norm now, but then I realized this was only a 30 second teaser.

And THEN I realized they are calling this an official trailer. Odd.

I'll hold judgment until I watch it, but my expectations aren't super high. I think the coolest thing will be if these marines all get murdered one by one and then actual Doomguy/marine/slayer shows up and wrecks shit to save the day.
At the very least, give us another awesome first person sequence.

• The Truth is in here

I had second thoughts about this thing and gotta say: It was clear since the beginning it's going to be a direct-to-video production, so it wasn't adequate to expect top-notch quality and movie feeling to begin with. It looks cheap because it has to be, and ofc you don't have good actors in it since those cost a lot of money. The script probably sucks, too, since they couldn't afford proper writers. In the end, what you see is what you get. The actors are naturally hyped about the project and will only say positive things about the whole thing, so you can't take their statements seriously. Personally, I will certainly not buy this and just wait else to do it and then see what's the what. The best aspect about that Annihilation trailer is how much some people freak out about its low quality. And it kinda retroactively upgrades the 2005 movie, if that's worth anything.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 15 March 2019 - 06:35 AM

View PostReaperAA, on 12 March 2019 - 09:19 AM, said:

https://www.youtube....h?v=72S2aAxtZOs

This is what I call quality entertainment

Exactly, i watched this a pair of months ago and i strongly wished that also the multiplayer would have be played like this, or at least closer, my my....

View PostReaperAA, on 12 March 2019 - 09:19 AM, said:

Or maybe something like this:

This is what I call quality entertainment (much better than any doom movie).

This is canon Doom Slayer. No wonder demons fear him.

This post has been edited by Lazy Dog: 15 March 2019 - 02:04 PM

User is offline   Tekedon 

View PostThe Battlelord, on 15 March 2019 - 01:48 PM, said:

Exactly, i watched this a pair of months ago and i strongly wished that also the multiplayer would have be played like this, or at least closer, my my....

Is that the original Doom 2016? :)

View PostTekedon, on 15 March 2019 - 02:05 PM, said:

Is that the original Doom 2016? :)

Yep

View PostNightFright, on 15 March 2019 - 06:32 AM, said:

I had second thoughts about this thing and gotta say: It was clear since the beginning it's going to be a direct-to-video production, so it wasn't adequate to expect top-notch quality and movie feeling to begin with. It looks cheap because it has to be, and ofc you don't have good actors in it since those cost a lot of money. The script probably sucks, too, since they couldn't afford proper writers. In the end, what you see is what you get. The actors are naturally hyped about the project and will only say positive things about the whole thing, so you can't take their statements seriously. Personally, I will certainly not buy this and just wait else to do it and then see what's the what. The best aspect about that Annihilation trailer is how much some people freak out about its low quality. And it kinda retroactively upgrades the 2005 movie, if that's worth anything.

We all knew it was going to be low budget schlock, but it could have been charming redeemable low budget schlock. Instead it appears to be generic. And there are plenty of talented writers who aren't big successes yet, all I ask is somebody involved in this movie having a bit of a clue. Can't blame everything on lack of funding, so many clever movies have been made for peanuts. Plus there are big budget movies with a lot of the same problems.

This post has been edited by PsychoGoatee: 15 March 2019 - 02:51 PM

Share this topic:

• 156 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options