Duke4.net Forums: Doom corner - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

  • 110 Pages +
  • « First
  • 96
  • 97
  • 98
  • 99
  • 100
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Doom corner  "for all Doom related discussion"

User is offline   ReaperAA 

#2911

View PostNancsi, on 26 January 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

You have been warned by a moderator


"Freedom of speech" is a defense against government censorship, not a right to spew garbage on a privately-owned and operated website.



I've got a one month ban on Doomworld, just because I dared to say transgender is not a normal thing, although should be tolerated. I will never visit this retared place again.


I was just checking out that thread on Doomworld. Just to inform u that ur not banned (or maybe they uplifted the ban). Although I would personally advise everyone to not discuss politics in Doomworld (shit can go crazy there). As long as u simply discuss about doom, u should be safe there. Just remember to "NEVER DISCUSS POLITICS ON DOOMWORLD"

Likewise I suggest to not discuss politics here either. There are proper political forums out there do discuss such things.

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 26 January 2019 - 11:15 PM

0

#2912

View PostZaxx, on 26 January 2019 - 03:58 PM, said:

And Thomas is a tank engine. :D Honestly I don't know why do you care, I mean I saw from the post that a shitstorm is going on in the Doom community - again - but as long as good maps will come out of it I'm fine with that (and I really liked The Way id Did). Conchita Wurst can work on those maps for all I care as long as Conchita Wurst is a good a mapper. :D

Also: the gaming community is full of weird, crazy people so nothing to see there.


I was in the forum, because I love the passion they have for the game. I don't care actually if weird people are behind those wads, as long as they are good. You know, artists are usually weird, not just gamers. This kind of insecurity the "badministrator" and many of those "proud" members showed was something else though. I'm over it now, in fact, I find it quite hilarious, too bad I didn't manage to download those maps one guy sent me for beta testing a few hours prior, that's the only thing I will miss from that place.
0

#2913

View PostReaperAA, on 26 January 2019 - 11:04 PM, said:

I was just checking out that thread on Doomworld. Just to inform u that ur not banned (or maybe they uplifted the ban). Although I would personally advise everyone to not discuss politics in Doomworld (shit can go crazy there). As long as u simply discuss about doom, u should be safe there. Just remember to "NEVER DISCUSS POLITICS ON DOOMWORLD"

Likewise I suggest to not discuss politics here either. There are proper political forums out there do discuss such things.


I can't log in, even after acknowledgement... but over it now, case closed.
0

User is offline   ReaperAA 

#2914

View PostNancsi, on 26 January 2019 - 11:25 PM, said:

I can't log in, even after acknowledgement... but over it now, case closed.


Well I noticed in the past that members who were banned had "banned" written under their profile name, but I didn't see it under ur name. But then again, I could be wrong and u really are banned.

If thats the case then it truly sucks. Well atleast u can still download wads and mods even without logging in.
0

User is offline   Cage 

#2915

View PostReaperAA, on 26 January 2019 - 11:04 PM, said:

Just remember to "NEVER DISCUSS POLITICS ON DOOMWORLD"


Problem isn't in discussing politics anywhere. Problem is when you're discussing politics and having absolutely no facts or any substance to your claims. No wonder no one wants to deal with you when you're a waste of time. Especially when you provide nothing when there's more data/merit to the idea opposite of what you're claiming.

View PostNancsi, on 26 January 2019 - 11:23 PM, said:

I'm over it now


Since you're still talking about it, apparently not. Also gotta love that when you state an opinion on a private forum, it's your right to do so, but when the owners or appointed staff on the said private don't like it for whatever reason, it's a violation now apparently? I thought you're about freedoms? Nice double standards. If it was someone getting banned on a forum for an opinion YOU don't like and complaining about, I can totally picture you using the exactly same argument.
-3

User is offline   Tea Monster 

  • Polymancer

#2916

Any sort of discussion goes crazy on Doomworld.

I asked them about making sprites and it quickly escalated to the point where I was accused of single-handedly destroying the entire Doom modding community.

Crazy as a junebug in a disco.
4

User is online   Mark 

  • Honored Donor

#2917

Cage:
There is plenty more from a google search to back Nansci up but here is a clip from the first article I chose. The article doesn't say how long Transgenderism has been considered a mental disorder but I'm assuming for decades.
-----------------------------
The United Nations health agency announced Monday in its 11th International Classification of Diseases (ICD) catalog that "gender incongruence" -- the organization's term for people whose gender identity is different from the gender they were assigned at birth -- has been moved out of the mental disorders chapter and into the organization's sexual health chapter.
The change will be presented at the World Health Assembly, the WHO's legislative body, in 2019 and will go into effect on January 1, 2022.

And thats my only comment on this. I don't want the thread in the outhouse either.

This post has been edited by Mark: 27 January 2019 - 05:39 AM

1

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

#2918

Why not just move the posts relevant to this discussion to the outhouse in its own thread so it can continue there? Why send the entire thread?
4

User is offline   Tea Monster 

  • Polymancer

#2919

Can we move Doomworld to the Outhouse?

LOLed at the thought that any sort of political discussion on THIS forum won't degenerate quickly into a shitshow.
0

User is offline   Cage 

#2920

View PostMark, on 27 January 2019 - 05:33 AM, said:

Cage:
There is plenty more from a google search to back Nansci up but here is a clip from the first article I chose. The article doesn't say how long Transgenderism has been considered a mental disorder but I'm assuming for decades.
-----------------------------
The United Nations health agency announced Monday in its 11th International Classification of Diseases (ICD) catalog that "gender incongruence" -- the organization's term for people whose gender identity is different from the gender they were assigned at birth -- has been moved out of the mental disorders chapter and into the organization's sexual health chapter.
The change will be presented at the World Health Assembly, the WHO's legislative body, in 2019 and will go into effect on January 1, 2022.

And thats my only comment on this. I don't want the thread in the outhouse either.


I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve with this quote? Doesn't the change of the classification give the whole thing actually more credibility and prove these people aren't just nutcases or "alternate lifestylists"? Keep in mind, that's not the first change of classification of a medical/mental term/aspect and won't be the last. Big institutions are not free from outside influence, but if they could change things like definitions or classifications on a whim, or only because of the political or societal pressures, these institutions wouldn't be worth anything. There must be data behind it, and sometimes new data can provide a shift in established belief. But you can't research things (and possibly revise them when a reason appears to do so), when you have already decided and you're dead set in your tracks. It's an undergoing change that allows many people in modern times to live healthy, fullfilling and productive lives - many people that a century ago would be doomed to be locked in an asylum forever.

View PostNinety-Six, on 27 January 2019 - 05:52 AM, said:

Why not just move the posts relevant to this discussion to the outhouse in its own thread so it can continue there? Why send the entire thread?


I wasn't me who started derailing this thread, but indeed it's me who's continuing it. I'm in favor of the solution posted above, of course if we actually want to be better than Doomworld, the staff will remove all derailing posts not just the ones they don't agree with.


View PostTea Monster, on 27 January 2019 - 06:47 AM, said:

LOLed at the thought that any sort of political discussion on THIS forum won't degenerate quickly into a shitshow.


That's why I was always browsing topics about creativity and content on this forum, I thought of this topic as such one as well.

This post has been edited by Cage: 27 January 2019 - 08:01 AM

1

#2921

"of course if we actually want to be better than Doomworld, the staff will remove all derailing posts not just the ones they don't agree with." - You get it.

Still curious what Romero said that got everyone so up in arms. Not gonna go through the stream.
0

#2922

Approximately 2 more weeks, and we can play Sigil.
2

User is offline   Cage 

#2923

Did anyone here order the physical collector's edition? Either version? I thought it was pretty cool, but he was asking a bit too much for it IMO. I was considering the "lite" edition, but still it wasn't a great time for the sale for me since I've already spent a bunch of money for christmas gifts.

I'm also wondering how he's planning to tackle the soundtrack, since Buckethead's music is CD only and that's physical release exclusive, and there's no mention of midi version of anything, so it's going to use stock Doom music or nothing at all? Of course, someone will rip the soundtrack as soon as it's out to let people use it with their source port of choice, but that's beside the point ;)
0

User is offline   Malgon 

#2924

I ended up purchasing the Beast Box edition. I'll try and post some pictures of it when it arrives. I'm guessing it'll probably be late February or early March that it does though.
2

User is offline   Cherno 

#2925

I made a Left 4 Dead mod for GZDoom.

Left 4 Doom - A Left 4 Dead mod for Doom 2

https://abload.de/img/screenshot_doom_20190l4jcf.png
https://abload.de/img/screenshot_doom_20190qsj6d.png
1

User is offline   Tea Monster 

  • Polymancer

#2926

https://i.imgur.com/wgXsroI.jpg

Not textured yet.
1

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

#2927

What are those if not textures?


Serious question; I don't understand 3d modelling very well.
0

User is offline   Tea Monster 

  • Polymancer

#2928

Basic ZBrush viewport materials.

https://i.imgur.com/umpOKOI.png

That's the glove textured in Substance Painter.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 07 February 2019 - 02:33 AM

0

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

#2929

I did it again.

https://i.imgur.com/4OyovPb.png

MAP24 of TNT: Revilution. Saveless and pistol started.


This one's special though. I've not actually played past the first two maps of this megawad. So why did I decide to attempt a blind saveless and pistol start run of a super lategame level? I have no idea. Took me about 5-6 attempts to do it, though.

Time well spent?

Spoiler


This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 09 February 2019 - 08:27 AM

2

User is offline   ReaperAA 

#2930

View PostNinety-Six, on 09 February 2019 - 06:21 AM, said:

So why did I decide to attempt a blind saveless and pistol start run of a super lategame level? I have no idea. Took me about 5-6 attempts to do it, though.


To be honest you are not alone. I have just started to play a newly released megawad called "Eviternity" (currently in RC1). I have only played first 3 levels of it. BUT then I decided to do a saveless and pistol start UV-max run of map 16. It took me about 3 attempts to beat that level. However I think my reason was that map 16 is first map played in the demo-loop and I just wanted to see how far I can go (and ended up beating it https://forums.duke4.net/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)


Speking of which, how many of you guys have seen "Eviternity". Its an awesome megawad with killer visuals and beautiful level design. The difficulty is also fair and not bullshit/slaughter. The RC2 of this wad is expected to release within a week.
https://www.doomworl...eviternity-rc1/

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 09 February 2019 - 11:12 AM

0

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

#2931

View PostReaperAA, on 09 February 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

To be honest you are not alone. I have just started to play a newly released megawad called "Eviternity" (currently in RC1). I have only played first 3 levels of it. BUT then I decided to do a saveless and pistol start UV-max run of map 16. It took me about 3 attempts to beat that level. However I think my reason was that map 16 is first map played in the demo-loop and I just wanted to see how far I can go (and ended up beating it https://forums.duke4.net/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)


Speking of which, how many of you guys have seen "Eviternity". Its an awesome megawad with killer visuals and beautiful level design. The difficulty is also fair and not bullshit/slaughter. The RC2 of this wad is expected to release within a week.
https://www.doomworl...eviternity-rc1/



So is it just a weird compulsion for certain doomers to pull this kinda stunt, or a compulsion in certain levels? I dunno, weird question, but also weird impetus.

Spoiler





I've heard of it. I heard some complaints about it, but it's hard to gauge an accurate opinion of wads a lot of times. That being said, out of principle I always wait for the final version these days. Had too many problems playing release candidates in the past. (Plus also it seems to require a hardware accelerated port (that isn't Zandronum) which is beyond my capabilities).

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 09 February 2019 - 04:40 PM

0

User is offline   ReaperAA 

#2932

View PostNinety-Six, on 09 February 2019 - 04:36 PM, said:

Mine was UV-Max too but I didn't state that because I so automatically hit UV I forget there's even a selection


To be honest, I wasn't targeting UV-max either. I just so happened to get 100% kills, items and secrets (i.e UV-maxed it).


View PostNinety-Six, on 09 February 2019 - 04:36 PM, said:

I've heard of it. I heard some complaints about it, but it's hard to gauge an accurate opinion of wads a lot of times. That being said, out of principle I always wait for the final version these days. Had too many problems playing release candidates in the past. (Plus also it seems to require a hardware accelerated port (that isn't Zandronum) which is beyond my capabilities).


Yes I too recommend folks to atleast wait for RC2 (which should arrive in a week) before trying it. That way u will get the optimal experience.

Also u don't really need a hardware port to run it. PrBoom+ and Eternity Engine can run this wad too. Both have software renderer available and PrBoom+ even comes with a very fast GL renderer (GLBoom+.exe)

Though if u run this wad with GZdoom, it will also show some cool weather effects which are not available in PrBoom+ and Eternity Engine. The weather effects however caused performance issues. So in RC2, we will have the option to turn these off.

This post has been edited by ReaperAA: 09 February 2019 - 09:57 PM

0

User is offline   axl 

#2933

Ultimate Doom the way id did was officially released yesterday !

https://www.doomworl...now-on-idgames/

https://www.doomworl...doom/s-u/udtwid

This post has been edited by axl: 17 February 2019 - 10:46 AM

2

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

#2934

One of the few projects I'm really all-in on. Fantastic news.
0

User is offline   leilei 

#2935

Doom v1.2 is now 25 years old!


Spoiler

3

User is offline   Zaxx 

#2936


1

User is offline   Malgon 

#2937

Awesome, looking forward to watching that one. His channel is blowing up fast, deservedly so!
0

User is online   NightFright 

  • The Truth is in here

#2938

Well, it's good to know I am not the only one who hates that horrible labyrinth in "Halls of the Damned" with the flashing lights and Demon traps. xD Retrospectively, I also came to realize how bad large parts of episodes 2 and 3 were. Really looks like the best levels of the whole game were made by Romero - which is why Sigil is so badly needed. It's like the late redemption for all the bad maps they used to fill the gaps between episodes 1 and 5. Still, I got used to all the flaws of this game, including the entirety of Doom II which was often a lot like the sloppy parts of its predecessor (since the game was basically little more than a quick cashgrab after id gave in to a tempting deal offered to them by GT Interactive).

Anyway, it's easy to criticize the game now, but it doesn't change the way I felt when I was playing through these levels for the first time, and I am absolutely grateful for every single second of it. It was creepy, fun, challenging at times, full of suspense and adventure. I would discuss certain levels and strategies for days with friends and wondered at first how anybody could possibly beat the Baron duo in "Phobos Anomaly". I even bought Mendoza's strategy guide to learn about all the secrets and background stories surrounding the game (still an entertaining read these days, btw). This game was a blessing to the gaming industry and has earned the privilege to remain installed on my hard drive permanently - also thanks to the amazing community that keeps producing amazing new addons just like the ingenious masterpiece that is Eviternity.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 19 February 2019 - 01:02 AM

1

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

#2939

Yeah I never liked Halls of the Damned. Though I honestly always thought E2 was worse than E3. At least E2 has containment area, which is probably my favorite level in the first game.


Spoiler

0

User is offline   axl 

#2940

View PostNinety-Six, on 19 February 2019 - 10:29 AM, said:

Yeah I never liked Halls of the Damned. Though I honestly always thought E2 was worse than E3. At least E2 has containment area, which is probably my favorite level in the first game.


Yes indeed. Containment Area is awesome and has great music. If I would have to pick 3 favorite levels from Doom 1, it would be:

- Toxin Refinery (E1M3)
- Computer Station (E1M7)
- Containment Area (E2M2)

And from Doom 2:

- Industrial Zone (map 15)
- O of Destruction (map 11)
- Tenements (map 17)
1

Share this topic:


  • 110 Pages +
  • « First
  • 96
  • 97
  • 98
  • 99
  • 100
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options