Duke4.net Forums: Mapping questions thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 24 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mapping questions thread

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Why is it that sometimes the Nukebutton doesn't work on a map?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

can you be a little more specific?

could be a few things:
height placement
there's a tagged sector in front of it - or- it's sitting in a tagged sector (even something as simple as a one-time sound tag)
not wall aligned or properly aligned to the wall it's on
sometimes making them blocking can do it

these are the most common that i've encountered, but i'd have to look at it to see what's really going on

This post has been edited by Forge: 26 April 2014 - 01:02 PM

User is offline   Fox 

Here is an example:

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Forge 

nice one. i know it's the room and not the nuke button.
i didn't notice any anomalous settings/numbers on the floor or ceiling so what did you do?

Wall Overtile set to -1?

User is offline   Forge 

that was it.
nice catch. i was a bit pressed for time, but that's no excuse for not checking the walls with F8.

User is offline   Fox 

HOLY SHIT!

That happened because I was editing Stadium, which has the overpicnum of walls set to -1 for some reason.

Also it explains why Duke Nukem 64 has an intricate gimmick with the Nukebutton in Stadium. lol

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 26 April 2014 - 05:09 PM

How do you add a pal image to the hrp images??

This is the current code in the hrp zip

// Black Clock (1060)
model "highres/sprites/props/1060_clock.md3" {
   scale 1.5 shade 0
   skin { pal 0 surface 0 file "highres/sprites/props/1060_clock.png" }
   skin { pal 0 surface 1 file "highres/sprites/props/1060_clock.png" }
   frame { name "Frame0" tile 1060 }
}

// Black Clock Broken (1067)
model "highres/sprites/props/1067_clockbroken.md3" {
   scale 1.5 shade 0
   skin { pal 0 file "highres/sprites/props/1067_clockbroken.png" }
   frame { name "idle" tile 1067 }
}

I tried adding ' skin { pal 5 surface 0 file "highres/sprites/props/1060_clock_5.png" } and skin { pal 5 surface 5 file "highres/sprites/props/1060_clock_5.png" }' under the last skin line, and nothing happened. I'm trying to add a Japanese clock to the pal set.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Just a heads up, you may have better luck attracting the attention of artists if you posted in an art-related thread, rather than attracting the attention of only mappers in a mapping thread. You may get lucky if a mapper/artist comes in here but you get my point.

Ahh for sure, thanks!

How do you separate the top and bottom walls so you can have different textures??

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Aim at the top wall and press 2 (not on numpad).

Nice!! Thank you! I'd +1 your reply but it wont let me.

• Honored Donor

Just in case you haven't already, have a full read of my ultimate steam guide/guide collection on how to make good maps. By the time you've finished, you'll be halfway to being a pro: http://steamcommunit...s/?id=223542709

Sweet, thanks! I used to have the build book but lost it over the years of moving. Used to build maps a lot back when I was younger. Have been getting really bored with new games because they're so predictable and all feel the same. So I came back to mapping Duke. Can't for certain say when this map will be done, but when it is i'll upload it.

Only thing I never got down and still want to learn is being able to build floor over floor rooms.

• Honored Donor

If you're talking about having rooms over other rooms in a 3D fashion, then you're probably talking about TROR. There's a pretty good guide for that on the wiki: http://wiki.eduke32....m_Mapping_Guide

Although in many cases, simple sector over sector (SOS) is sufficient, as long as you're not viewing the different areas that share space in the x-y plane at the same time.

But for the love of god don't start messing around with TROR until you're 110% comfortable with the standard mapster controls and general map building process!!

Hahahhah.... yea I'm not trying to chew off more then I can chew at the moment.

I am curios tho... why do I have light spots on the ceiling when all the shades are the same? And what the hell is up with the wall texture?? see how the bottom half isn't blue? Both top 'n bottom are set to the same pal#

http://i18.photobuck...xX/duke0000.png

How do I get my area to look like E2 with the lighting below? No weird spots and it also is more vibrant too. Mine looks like the standard Duke3d lighting.
http://i18.photobuck...xX/duke0001.png

That's Polymer. I don't really recommend going down that route as the renderer isn't finished, but it's your call. Try SE49 and SE50.

As for the shading issues, I've drawn a blank, my only ideas are - you have an extreme slope in a sector which can cause problems with shading OR you have a different texture there which can sometimes make it appear to be shaded differently. I also have no idea on the palette issue, though I've run into it before, just not sure what I did to fix it, assuming you did edit both the top and bottom of the wall jumping into 2D mode and back to 3D can sometimes make it work as I'm inclined to think that sometimes Mapster32 doesn't update things when it should.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 18 May 2014 - 01:51 AM

There were no slopes in that map. I ended up just scrapping the map to redesign the layout and screw around with that lighting instead of using random lights in a large area.

User is offline   Forge 

post the scrapped map so someone can investigate what the problems were

User is offline   HulkNukem 

So if I were to get into Duke 3D mapping, where would I start? I have the (outdated) official book on it, but what specific tutorials or articles would you guys suggest as I start messing around with the editor?

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostHulkNukem, on 19 May 2014 - 02:31 PM, said:

So if I were to get into Duke 3D mapping, where would I start? I have the (outdated) official book on it, but what specific tutorials or articles would you guys suggest as I start messing around with the editor?

You need this
http://infosuite.duke4.net/

as well as this http://wiki.eduke32....i/Level_editing

Once you understand the basics, you can also have a look at the "protips to build faster" thread which shares a few useful building tips. It's not much but I'm sure it can help.

If you have any question don't be afraid to ask, even if you think the question is silly or noobish.

The most important is motivation and having interesting visual/layout/gameplay ideas. Motivation is the most important at the start because mapping for duke3D isn't very userfriendly at first, but once you've learnt the basics as well as a couple of tips, you should be able to design what you have in mind much quicker.
To begin with, don't aim for too grand things or you'll be overcome by it. Start simple.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 19 May 2014 - 02:59 PM

• Honored Donor

I'd stay away from the wiki's mapping page if possible. The infosuite has all the basics you need to know.

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=223542709

The above guide is a sort of collection of different guides (The infosuite, a speed mapping guide, and a guide to what actually constitutes a good Duke map), so once you've finished reading all of that, you should have all the theory you need to give you solid start. Take your time though, there's a lot of new information to take in, but it'll pay off later on, I guarantee it.

View PostForge, on 19 May 2014 - 04:34 AM, said:

post the scrapped map so someone can investigate what the problems were

I deleted the map and reinstalled duke with the newer version of hrp. Only thing I kept was my Custom content. After i'm done coding up these added characters and misc things I'll recreate a sample map of what was going on with the prev map.

Can't reproduce the problem. So that leaves me to think something broke somewhere and wasn't saying the map was corrupt. Have been playing with TROR and wow is that cool. Brings a whole new depth into building.

Been tearing through the def files to rebuild my own structure for a added Episode. How would I add a list of new maps e.g, E5L1-E5L11 to add to the NewGame listing? As well as proper naming for the maps that have spaces instead of strung together from naming in mapster.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Those are in the CON files.

View PostHendricks266, on 20 May 2014 - 09:21 PM, said:

Those are in the CON files.

Was thinking there was another way since it's not vanilla Duke. Thanks!

User is offline   HulkNukem 

This editor is pretty vastly diffrerent than Hammer/SourceSDK from what I've been going through so far. Taking me minutes to make a room with correctly aligned textures whereas it would take me seconds in Hammer. But hey, learning

• Honored Donor

View PostHulkNukem, on 21 May 2014 - 06:20 PM, said:

This editor is pretty vastly diffrerent than Hammer/SourceSDK from what I've been going through so far. Taking me minutes to make a room with correctly aligned textures whereas it would take me seconds in Hammer. But hey, learning

That doesn't sound right. Keep going through the key command list, I'm sure you'll find some functions to help you out.

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options