Duke4.net Forums: Mapping questions thread - Duke4.net Forums

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mapping questions thread

User is offline   Mark 

I wanted to swing open some gate models. I was hoping for an easier mapping solution. Since I have no idea how to do it in con I could always create the opening / closing animation in the model itself.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

What's wrong with using the rotate-rise effect? The only downside is you'll need to activate it with a switch (or touchplate?)

User is offline   Mark 

Can that effect be set to rotate only 90 degrees and then back again to start position?
It took only a few minutes to animate my gate model and will be a couple more to tweak the def's. So I'll probably just go with that. But thanks for the suggestion.

This post has been edited by Mark.: 08 July 2014 - 03:59 AM

• Honored Donor

Yes it can be rotated 90 degrees and back. Also with 180, 360 etc depending on the value of the speed sprite.

Trying to make a map compatible with Megaton, I need to make all touchplates non-blocking as Duke gets stuck on them.

I type this into the console;

do for i allsprites, ifactor TOUCHPLATE, cstat 0

It spits this out;

--- Found 2 errors.
(console):1: error: symbol `i' is not a game variable.
for i allsprites, ifactor TOUCHPLATE, cstat 0
|---->*
(console):1: error: unknown iteration type `llsprites'.
for i allsprites, ifactor TOUCHPLATE, cstat 0
|-------------->*

--- Found 2 errors.

What am I doing wrong?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Once per Mapster32 launch, you'll need to type:

do gamevar i 0 0

to declare the variable. EDIT: You can add line to m32_autoexec.cfg if you want to save yourself the trouble.

Using a command named "cstat" might work, but the "m32script" way of doing it is

do for i allsprites, ife .picnum TOUCHPLATE, set .cstat 0

ife/ifl/ifg/ifn and set are M32script abbreviations of ifvarvare/l/g/n and setvarvar. Modern CON and M32script will accept gamevars, labels, and constants for the varvar variants so using the abbreviations is recommended in all cases.

All structs can be access as you would a C array, as in "ife struct[ID].member value". THISACTOR is a valid ID for sprites, but a shortcut for sprite[THISACTOR].member is simply .member. Note that this only works for sprites, only when THISACTOR is valid. For sectors and walls you'll need to get the ID from the variable, as in "for i allsectors, set sector[i].floorpal 0".

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 08 July 2014 - 10:28 AM

Muhahahaha! (Evil Laughter) that works and now I'm tampering with other stuff as I've never used M32 script before, this stuff should cut loads of time off of tedious tasks in future.

Probably didn't help that I previously forgot to include a.m32 too.

User is offline   Mr.Torture 

Simple build questions:

- How do I align texture walls as in old versions? (it was just hit enter in the cursor location on 3D mode)
- How do I copy/paste a sector? (Alt Gr is not responding anymore, at least for me)
- "Neutral walls" for light effects with hi-tag 1 (1,0) aren't working properly, what I did wrong?
- There's any way to see or generate a list of used hi-tags?

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Enter always just pasted what you have in your clipboard. I has always worked that way and has never "aligned" textures.

Download a newer version of Mapster32 or while holding down AltGr, tap LeftCtrl and it'll work like normal (this is a bug in SDL).

Sometimes they just break, delete the sector the wall is a part of and retry. Or, make sure you added the hitag on the right side of the wall, the side your cursor is on affects what side the tag is given to.

Not without m32 script.

This post has been edited by Daedolon: 14 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMr.Torture, on 14 July 2014 - 09:25 AM, said:

- There's any way to see or generate a list of used hi-tags?

No, but if you hold left-shit on a tagged sprite, it will show you all the things it's 'linked' to. So basically if you want to make sure the new tag you're putting hasn't been used, try holding left shift on it and if it's not linked with anything you're fine.

View PostDaedolon, on 14 July 2014 - 09:28 AM, said:

Enter always just pasted what you have in your clipboard. I has always worked that way and has never "aligned" textures.

Download a newer version of Mapster32 or while holding down AltGr, tap LeftCtrl and it'll work like normal (this is a bug in SDL).

Sometimes they just break, delete the sector the wall is a part of and retry. Or, make sure you added the hitag on the right side of the wall, the side your cursor is on affects what side the tag is given to.

Not without m32 script.

Thanks Daedolon.
Well for texture align i've used to hit tab, then paste it with Enter, then align walls with ">". It allowed to have a 'correct' width alignment based on the height of the texture. On the latest versions it simply copy the whole information of a wall to paste. It's good, but sometimes I want to have a 'related width/height' to avoid distortions.

I'll try the AltGr + LeftCtrl :P

Nice catch, i'll see what's wrong on it.

View PostMetHy, on 14 July 2014 - 09:32 AM, said:

No, but if you hold left-shit on a tagged sprite, it will show you all the things it's 'linked' to. So basically if you want to make sure the new tag you're putting hasn't been used, try holding left shift on it and if it's not linked with anything you're fine.

Totally forgot this, thanks a lot!

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

View PostHigh Treason, on 08 July 2014 - 09:55 AM, said:

Trying to make a map compatible with Megaton, I need to make all touchplates non-blocking as Duke gets stuck on them.
heheheh did you unblock them also make sure they are exact on where they touch the floor ? I had the same problem lmao . I was like dafukk had me scratching my head that for sure.

Also, i learned quite a bit from this forum already thanks

This post has been edited by Duke64Nukem: 15 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

User is offline   Jenz/Amaka 

Is there a way to shade multiple sectors at once?

User is offline   MetHy 

Select them with right-alt, and go in 2D mode to shade them.

This will change the value of every surface of all sectors selected though.

If you're having trouble selecting specific sectors (this can happen if for example they are shaped oddly and you don't want to select that one particular sector but you want the others); try selecting them with a different view angle in isometric view ("F3" in 2D mode, then Q and W to rotate i think)

User is offline   Jenz/Amaka 

Oh, I had to go 3D mode. Okay one more question.
Is there a way to give entire sector same shade value? Some walls aren't same shade as others.

User is offline   magnarj 

Hi! I used Build over a decade ago, and recently got back into it. I have a few questions about mapster32.

1. Is it possible to hide all sprites somehow? It would make shading and detailing much easier.

2. Is it possible to trigger something when an enemy dies? I want a door to open once an enemy has been defeated.

User is offline   MetHy 

You can disable the view of given sets of sprites using ' + W ; and the same for enemies which were tagged for skill settings with ' + D.
For instance, you can hide SEs; or all enemies ; or you can hide only enemies tagged skill3 or skill 2, etc

You can't however hide decorative sprites, but it's probably a new feature we could request.
Keep in mind those keys I gave are for the american keyboard layout, so on my azerty keyboard for me it's not ' + W but ù + Z.

For your 2nd question, this is (sadly) not possible as such in DN3D. You need to make your own code for that and provide it with the map.

BTW, press F1 both in 3D and 2D mode and you'll find out useful stuff. I just found out you can zoom in/out in the tiles menu (the menu you access with V in 3D mode).

This post has been edited by MetHy: 02 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! Ok, I'll have to come up with some workaround to the enemy death trigger case.

User is offline   MetHy 

Maybe make the trigger timed based? (it's possible but a bit tricky, kind of a little more advanced effect) Or simply make the enemy 'guard' a switch..

Without scripting I believe you can't.
At least if you could make the enemy drop an specific item after he dies, like a keycard...
Someone please tell us is possible! :(

• Honored Donor

Nope.

Need scripting.

Hello again!

Another question from me.

Is it possible to trigger something repeatedly by itself? Currently I am using a pretty weird workaround where I have a separate, inaccessible room in the map with several shooters that shoot at "Target" sprites which in turn trigger something in the level. This gives me the effect I want, but it's a lot of setup for something relatively basic.

Make two ST20 ceiling doors, one open and one closed. Put an SE10 (Door auto close) in each. Give them both an activator with the same LOTAG. This lotag will be triggered by the doors, adjust the SE10 to the delay you want. Setting both to 13 will give you about 1 second between each activation. You should probably put a GPSPEED with a stupidly high value (10240) in each door or they may jam.

You can toggle them with an additional activator or masterswitch in one of the doors.

Incidentally, if you link a shooter's activator to this setup you can break the 5 second limitation that has. This was how I built the clock in Quantum Physics.

Thanks, that seems more reasonable.

User is offline   MetHy 

Not sure where to ask this but here we go :

Is there another way to fix corruption than "corruptcheck tryfix" ?
Or is it possible to manually repair or isolate sectors that create issues with this corruption ?

I've got a corruption problem with my SW map. It happens in the underwater area (which is quite big), there is an angle of the area with 2 walls that causes glitches to happen. When you make a new sector out of that, things start to diseappear or the new sector behaves like it's part of another big sector. Also deleting that new sector results in deleting the entire big main sector.

I did "corruptcheck tryfix" some time ago (before I realized this issue) and since then mapster says the map is no longer corrupted, but it is. The problem is I did that a long time ago then saved, thinking the issue was solved, and only realized there was still issues later; and i've built quite a bit in between.

Assuming the issue is only due to the underwater area, would deleting it and remaking it from scratch solve the corruption? I haven't done THAT much with the area yet...

Also, actually I could keep mapping without worrying abuot that because I don't actually NEED to make sectors in that spot which causes glitches... But I'd rather get rid of the issue anyway if possible, to make sure no other shit shows up when I'm almost done with the map (I'm 5k walls into it atm).

Thanks.

I think I know the mistakes I did which caused corruption.. and they were due to my own laziness. Fuck, I mapped like a noob and now Build slapped me in the face.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 16 August 2014 - 05:47 AM

• Honored Donor

So just to be clear the map is acting up, but there's no corruption message? If it is what I think it is, then yes you're going to have to delete the sectors that are acting up and rebuild them, which should fix the issue.

Out of curiosity, what did you do to cause the problem?

User is offline   MetHy 

Okay thanks... i'll redo that underwater area.

What caused the issue was that, I have a huge area (pretty much the entire map, a small 'village' with a few buildings) that is surrounding by water and which also has water acting as one of the 'streetroads'.
And, I want the player to be able to go underwater too.

So i copy-pasted the entire area (3500 walls, had 2 indoors including one with 2 levels) and started deleting everything with CTRL+DEL just so I can have the exact shape of the underwater area easily.

Except it's never a good idea to delete that fucking much, and so randomly, using CTRL+DEL.

Also earlier I had an other issue. I want a driveable boat on that water; which means I need to have it move and be seen underwater as well, like in that one SW map. So, because I was in a hurry and because I wanted to test it quickly, I copy-pasted that boat from the original SW map.
Except that the map it comes from was corrupted. And as soon as I put the boat in, some things related to this boat started acting funny too. (sometimes you'd see part of the underwater clip when you're standing on the slopes of the boat, overwater).
I don't know if that is related, but it certainly didn't help. I couldn't get that fixed so instead I hid it, I lower the underwater so much that you couldn't see the clipping anymore (but it's still there).

So basically I was fucking stupid and lazy; and got corruption as a result. And when shit started to happen, instead of fixing it I burried it pretending it's not happening. Lazy and stupid.
I guess I'll delete that boat and make my own, too, just in case.

Fucking grade A noob mapping right there. But I'll remember the lesson...

This post has been edited by MetHy: 16 August 2014 - 06:07 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

you could try to isolate the problem area and "snip" it off.
you won't be able to delete it - it's acting as a parent sector - , but you can shove it off map to a far corner of the grid

This post has been edited by Forge: 16 August 2014 - 06:36 AM

• Honored Donor

You're joking right?

User is offline   MetHy 

I've already deleted the entire underwater area and the boat and started redoing it by hand.

I'd rather get rid of the issue rather than hide it, last time I did that it didn't go so well!

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options