• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mapping questions thread

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

probably for the best. i had the same issue in my first map and all my backups had the corruption. mine was bad and deleting it pretty much deleted the entire map; i don't think there was such a thing as corruptcheck tryfix at the time (or it wasn't widely known and i was a noob) so i snipped it off and shoved it out onto the grid. Later i just used the isolated sectors to sign the level.
everything seemed to work fine in the end.
i repaired later editions - like the ones on CGS & steam have been fixed, but the one on MSDN is probably still broke

User is online   ck3D 

i remember getting odd glitches that were similar to your problem a few years ago in some of my old maps, most notable example was when i was working on overtime.map in which i guess i built a few sectors in the wrong order, as a result i was getting fucked up stuff ie. disappearing sectors, or red walls that would randomly turn into white ones. mind you it was back in 2003 / 2004 and i was working with the original build. those instances of corruption were pretty intense and noobish yet the 'pascal trick' saved my ass everytime. it's a key combination i still use every once in a while and it has never failed me yet. i can't remember the exact combination off the top of my head even though i can pull it off instinctively within a few tries, i don't want to mislead you but it's in a .txt file that comes with the roch 8 map archive i believe. you have to do it in 2D mode then it just goes through all the pointers in the entire map and fixes everything. it is a very powerful function and it always baffles me that people do not mention it more often

This post has been edited by ck3D: 16 August 2014 - 07:10 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I wonder if it's the same as typing "corruptcheck tryfix" in the console.

Didn't that key combo come with a warning btw?

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah, it's Lctrl+Lshift+Lenter. But it didn't help with my map...

I'm almost done remaking the underwater area up to the point where I was anyway... Hopefully I won't have too much trouble with the boat. There is no tutorial for driveable SW boats that you get to see underwater too.

User is offline   MetHy 

Well fuck, I still get the same glitch even after redoing the area by hand... I wonder what's going on. Could it be because the area is so huge?

This post has been edited by MetHy: 16 August 2014 - 07:47 AM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostMetHy, on 16 August 2014 - 07:47 AM, said:

Well fuck, I still get the same glitch even after redoing the area by hand... I wonder what's going on. Could it be because the area is so huge?

I could look at it if you want. Sounds interesting.

• EDuke32 Developer

MetHy sent me his map and as a result of some investigation, an overflow bug was found in Mapster32 that could trigger when building outside the "old" editing limits. It's fixed in r4572. Cheers to MetHy for not giving up on explaining to me where to look at!

User is offline   MetHy 

Yeah, I'm glitch magnet...

So this happened because I went over the old limit when I copy-pasted the entire area?

Edit : Just tried the new version, thanks for the fix !

This post has been edited by MetHy: 16 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

User is offline   Paul B 

Hi guys,

Just throwing this out there, I know i've done this in the past probably by accident I think it was with switches though and not sprites. Anyway, I forgot what I did, so maybe you can help?

I want to place an invisible blockable switch infront of a female sprite object to prevent duke from triggering a stripper from flashing. I can't seem to make this work. Any suggestions? I know i've managed to do similiar things with swinging doors / ceiling doors that are triggerable only from one side but again I can't remember how i did that either. I think it had something to do with sector tagging.

Any help with any of these two scenarios would help a lot, I think they might be somewhat related.

Thanks.

This post has been edited by Paul B: 16 August 2014 - 09:18 PM

• Honored Donor

Is the switch actually linked to an effect? Although I suppose if you do that then you'll hear the automatic switch sound.

What about a tagged sector surrounding the stripper, with an activator in it?

Btw with this new fix does it mean that we can build big sectors without worrying about causing funky glitches now?

This post has been edited by Micky C: 17 August 2014 - 12:03 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

Paul B, try tagging the sectors around the stripper as locked ceiling doors activted by a switch. Then, make all the effects sprites as big as possible and make them block the view of the stripper. The activator sprite, you can actually put as many of those as you want, so go wild to block her entirely. Just make sure the doors are supposed to work by tagging everything properly to a switch in a non accessible part of the map.

My logic comes from how you can't press switches that are in small sectors behind ceiling or floor doors because of the effect sprites. So, try to reproduce that, the stripper is the switch.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 17 August 2014 - 03:57 AM

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostMicky C, on 17 August 2014 - 12:02 AM, said:

Btw with this new fix does it mean that we can build big sectors without worrying about causing funky glitches now?

No, the fix concerns only one particular dot product calculation in a certain function. There are several other cases like this, but it would be boring to go out on a spree replacing 32-bit integers with 64-wide ones. The insight of which of the potential overflows consitute real problems comes with bugs such as these, after all. For example, there are known[1] overflows in the classic engine that as far as I can see produce no observable adverse effect[2].

[1] to me, and anyone bothering to run an EDuke32 compiled with Clang's integer sanitizer.
[2] They're still undefined behavior per the C Standard, of course. So in a very strict interpretation, some engine code is incorrect.

Edit: also note that the problem wasn't about building large sectors per se, but rather about sectors being in a location of large absolute coordinates.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostPaul B, on 16 August 2014 - 09:11 PM, said:

I know i've managed to do similiar things with swinging doors [...] that are triggerable only from one side but again I can't remember how i did that either. I think it had something to do with sector tagging.

one time sound tag the parent sector the swinging door sits in. the door will be "locked" until the one time sound is triggered

User is offline   Mr.Torture 

Hey guys,
you can't turn on/off a rotating sector, right?

I've playing some things here trying to "split-door" a rotating sector when I found this, probably isn't a new thing, but I think it should be shared.

I have made a rotating sector, then added a ST 28 (Drop Floor or Ceiling) and a SE 21 (Drop Floor). Changed SE orientation to down and then added a Masterswitch. Added a SE 31 (Floor Rise/Fall) with down orientation. When activated, the sector rises and the rotating speed comes down slowly until it stops.

If the orientation is up, when it stops rotating, ceiling falls down fast and infinite (buggy). So this relevant.

Posted Image

Well this gave me the idea for a generator powering down, or anything else you can think.

*Edit: attached a map sample.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  gen.zip (1.35K)
    Number of downloads: 526

This post has been edited by Mr.Torture: 19 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

User is offline   MetHy 

Nice, this is pretty cool!

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

Hey guys, I've copied some sectors to a map, to make translucent water in my Edge(q2dm1) map which requires ROR..

Anyway I've got some walls that appear to be masked ( 4 of them ) and they aren't even masked floor to ceiling and it's messing up the effect and I can't undo them.

Is this a BUG when copying sectors? Can it be fixed? Does this happen when building duke maps aswell? Does anyone know what even I mean?

edit* - going to abandon that idea.. it looks good from a few angles but it bugs out in more ways than one. Would still be nice to know if there is a fix to what seems like a bug that randomly happens when copying sectors from one map to another. (using SWPbuild 1.2)

This post has been edited by Robman: 20 August 2014 - 12:05 AM

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Try pressing 1 while aiming at the wall (floor/ceiling next to it really) in 3D mode.

User is offline   stumppy84 

Is there anyway to block aplayer's movements but not the monsters? and also allow bullets to pass through? Blocked wall still blocks monsters (in my case octabrains)..

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

You can have monsters enter the play area with one-sided blocking walls but block the player from leaving it, other than that, you can't do anything about it.

User is offline   Robman 

• Asswhipe [sic]

View PostDaedolon, on 20 August 2014 - 05:00 AM, said:

Try pressing 1 while aiming at the wall (floor/ceiling next to it really) in 3D mode.

I tried all the usual stuff to try and make it go away, I think it's a bug. Thanks though.

User is offline   magnarj 

Hey! Another quick question.

Is there a way to block the ceiling from getting new light values when using a SE8 "Open door lights"?
I read that if you tag a sector wall 1,0 it won't receive new light, hopefully there's a similar trick to sectors?

Thanks!

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View Postmagnarj, on 20 August 2014 - 10:28 PM, said:

Hey! Another quick question.

Is there a way to block the ceiling from getting new light values when using a SE8 "Open door lights"?
I read that if you tag a sector wall 1,0 it won't receive new light, hopefully there's a similar trick to sectors?

Thanks!

Someone correct me, but as far as I remember there's no way to achieve this, other than using a workaround of sprites to cover the desired ceiling, the pivot of the sprite needs to be in a very small sector with no SE on it.

User is online   ck3D 

View PostMike Norvak, on 20 August 2014 - 10:43 PM, said:

Someone correct me, but as far as I remember there's no way to achieve this, other than using a workaround of sprites to cover the desired ceiling, the pivot of the sprite needs to be in a very small sector with no SE on it.

or maybe do not bother making child sectors around the individual sprites and just press N on them (to set them to 'noshade') in 3D mode ? would that work ?

been loving that noshade function ever since it was implemented. it definitely made fine-tuning the aesthetics of maps a lot easier

• Honored Donor

TROR would also do the trick.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View Postck3D, on 21 August 2014 - 12:56 AM, said:

or maybe do not bother making child sectors around the individual sprites and just press N on them (to set them to 'noshade') in 3D mode ? would that work ?

been loving that noshade function ever since it was implemented. it definitely made fine-tuning the aesthetics of maps a lot easier

Indeed.

User is offline   MetHy 

Those 2 last points is a good example of what I meant when saying how improved the effects are in Shadow Warrior.

In Shadow Warrior, lights (any sort of light, so on/off, flicker, and fade) work so that you don't set the shade value you want it to be (like in Duke), but you set how many more or less shade increments you want. Which means that you can keep wall shading with lights, too (if your adjacent walls are shadded 8 and 10; and that you set your light effect to +5; then they will be 13 and 15; etc). Also, you can choose whether or not the light change affects floor, ceiling, walls, and even outerwall, and you can even keep custom palettes with lights; and all of this is independent on each ST1 (the equivalent of the SE). Oh and btw - you can also control the speed and intensity of the flickering and fading; and all of this also work with coloured lighting.

As for sprites, their shading value in game is a result of the shading value they are set + the sector's shade value (not sure if it is floor or ceiling, probably works the same as in Duke); which means that they'll be brighter/darker depending on what value you set them, so 2 sprites in the same sector can be shaded differently (and in vanilla too).

I know I'm offtopic but I'm tellin' ya, Shadow Warrior's mapping is cool.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 23 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

User is offline   Mr.Torture 

Light effects are very limited.
I remember some old days where I was trying to do a strobe light with Engine and Up Open Door Lights, it worked somewhat in xDuke, but not in eDuke32.

It's cool use Random Lights with a Cycle, looks quite similar to a strobe light :(

If someone has some tricks for light effects, please share!

User is offline   magnarj 

Another quick question from me.

I seem to recall that eduke has a higher sector limit than the standard 1024. However, if I want my map playable on the Steam version of Duke3d, should I stick to below 1024?

User is offline   Kyanos 

same new limit on Megaton/steam as Eduke.

User is offline   Sixty Four 

• Turok Nukem

Have a few questions here. Hope someone can help
1.)Anybody know how to re size the height of a map ? i know how to get to the option but i actually don't know what number to type in. Seems no matter the number I press, it turns out the same height....
2.) Is there a way to make glass sprites unbreakable ? Example a coffee cup can i make it not break ...
3.) You can't make aliens re spawn with pal 24 or re spawn transparent ? Is there a trick to implement that ?

This post has been edited by Duke64Nukem: 01 September 2014 - 05:50 PM

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options