Duke4.net Forums: The Future of 3D Realms - Fan Feedback! - Duke4.net Forums

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Future of 3D Realms - Fan Feedback!

look this is gonna be a bit of a long speal here because I really care about the scrolling shooter genre but here it goes.

Should you ever even CONSIDER a sequel to Raptor: Call of the Shadows, You should really look at what japanese developers have done with the genre and not explicitly follow the path of HEALTH BARS AND HORRIBLE BALANCE that the original is very much plagued with. The original only SORT OF works and no amount of nostalgia can fix the complete lack of challenge that the game presents. It teeters on this strange mess of a shop system, where the means of progression focuses solely on how many shields you can buy rather than how powerful your arsenal is. This problem is multiplied by the fact there are no real enemy or boss patterns, and the enemies just kinda dump their fire as soon as they're on screen and wait to fire another straight on volley. It's hard in all the wrong ways and easy because it's blandly repetitive.

I desperately hope that you will look at the hundreds of shooters that this genre has to offer and ask the fanbase of this genre for help if you attempt this. You'd do well to look at Raiden, Rayforce, anything by Raizing, and some of Cave's games if you have any hope of making an interesting sequel. The original was simply not very good. Hell, Stargunner was a much better game, and even it is plagued with terrible issues that it's health system causes.

Also DO NOT ADD MOMENTUM TO THE PLAYER SHIP. that stuff is an uncontrollable clusterfuck and makes any shooter fucking painful to play.

This post has been edited by Colon Semicolon: 10 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

My life would be complete if you guys could produce an original Duke FPS on the PS Vita...or at least port whatever you decide to do to the Vita(DN:Time to Kill, et al). There has been a recent drought of worthwhile games for Sony's handheld, and perhaps Interceptor/3DR/Apogee could pump some much-needed life back into it.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostColon Semicolon, on 10 March 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

<snip>

The really depressing thing was that Raptor was a game with great graphics, music, sound effects, and weaponry... once you mastered the game and got past the novelty of it, it just had horrible gameplay mechanics.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostDamien_Azreal, on 10 March 2014 - 05:51 AM, said:

While I would love to see Blood on STEAM, I would prefer it handled by Devolver Digital and General Arcade. As they were the ones who did the Steam ports of DN3D and Shadow Warrior.

General Arcade kicks ass.

User is offline   Trebor_UK 

View PostKristian Joensen, on 10 March 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

When Sin was released on GOG Ritual was listed as both developer and publisher. Later GOG confirmed that it was a new, reformed Ritual. Representatives of the company mentioned on Reddit that they were interested in continuing the franchise.

NERDGASM.

I loved Rituals games.

User is offline   ---- 

Regarding Redneck Rampage:

My very personal opinion is that the IP isn't worth spending money for the rights. Not that it is a bad IP, or so. But it isn't strong enough to warrant the costs if a new shooter IP taking place in the "Hillbilly universe" and a unique gimmick/twist in the gameplay to set it a bit apart from other shooters could do well too.

User is offline   HeadClot 

View PostDavoX, on 10 March 2014 - 11:36 AM, said:

Guys if you want to remake a Duke game or something I suggest using mappers from this forum :blink:

I would agree with this however they might be using Unreal engine for this not build engine.
Could be wrong though...

I would love to see Interceptor Helping out with the build engine :blink:

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 10 March 2014 - 12:56 AM, said:

A little hint of something we are currently looking into :blink:

Very unexpected, but not unwelcome (if it actually gets anywhere). Time to Kill wasn't really a bad game - I've tried to play it through occasionally but the terrible framerate and stiff controls that plague almost all 3D PSX games, along with the lack of mid-level saves, make it less enjoyable than it should be.

Redid my "PC/game room"...
And while going through my various PC game boxes one caught my eye.

Kingpin

I loved this Quake 2 Engine game. Dark, violent and just really mean spirited. I had a LOT of fun with this one, and always kind of wished there had been more.
But, with it being an Xatrix title... as they turned into Gray Matter, who then became Treyarch... who are now in Activision's dirty little dungeon. :blink:

User is offline   Kathy 

Why don't we throw out here every old game that's been good? I don't see any point in bringing up SiN or Unreal to discussion.

User is offline   uh . . . . 

Make sure your next game has raw mouse input. I would have loved to played the multiplayer and the singleplayer would've been a better experience with it, regarding ROTT.

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 10 March 2014 - 12:56 AM, said:

A little hint of something we are currently looking into :blink:

In stead of making yet another "I want a successor to my favourite game series" request, I'd like you to start with taking your potential customership seriously; how about some clarity and information rather than silly hinting games?
We've gotten more than enough of that from the old 3D Realms.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostX-Vector, on 11 March 2014 - 12:19 AM, said:

In stead of making yet another "I want a successor to my favourite game series" request, I'd like you to start with taking your potential customership seriously; how about some clarity and information rather than silly hinting games?

It's obvious what they're going to do with it, and I would say they will do more with it than what was done with Duke Nukem II, which had no source code available. I can't believe something is actually going to be done with the game after all of this time. I'll be happy if it just has better controls and higher resolutions, but I hope they do more with it than just that. I don't even think I've ever heard of a PS1 game being ported to Steam, myself. It would be cool to see it happen!

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 11 March 2014 - 12:37 AM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostX-Vector, on 11 March 2014 - 12:19 AM, said:

I endorse this post.
I also bet that TTK will never come to PC.

I hope it isn't stretching things too far, but since you don't appear to have gotten my PM, I'll ask for it here.

Would it be possible for the source code to duke_base.dll from Manhattan Project to be released? This would allow more complex mods to be created for the game.
The only other thing I'd want done with DNMP is to have a model importer and exporter for Blender.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostColon Semicolon, on 10 March 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

Should you ever even CONSIDER a sequel to Raptor: Call of the Shadows

Isn't Raptor owned by Mountain King Studios?

User is offline   Skulldog 

http://giphy.com/gifs/puW4H9o7TuzXa

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 11 March 2014 - 12:37 AM, said:

I don't even think I've ever heard of a PS1 game being ported to Steam, myself.

What are you trying to say? There were lots of PS1 games ported to PC.

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostNUKEMDAVE, on 11 March 2014 - 12:37 AM, said:

It's obvious what they're going to do with it, and I would say they will do more with it than what was done with Duke Nukem II, which had no source code available. I can't believe something is actually going to be done with the game after all of this time. I'll be happy if it just has better controls and higher resolutions, but I hope they do more with it than just that. I don't even think I've ever heard of a PS1 game being ported to Steam, myself. It would be cool to see it happen!

Final Fantasy 7+8 are on Steam. I'm not sure what was the lead platform for the first few Tomb Raider games, but they're on Steam as well.

View PostMrFlibble, on 11 March 2014 - 06:06 AM, said:

Isn't Raptor owned by Mountain King Studios?

I'm not one to care who owns what in this giant mess. besides, if they ever do a scrolling shooter, they should head those words.

User is offline   Sangman 

I'm finding it a little odd to see pleas for creating new games in the Duke Nukem, Redneck Rampage, Blood etc franchises. Sure that might be neat but I don't see why people are under the assumption that 3DR owns the rights to those titles.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

It's because people don't know anything because they don't pay attention.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostSangman, on 11 March 2014 - 03:04 PM, said:

I'm finding it a little odd to see pleas for creating new games in the Duke Nukem, Redneck Rampage, Blood etc franchises.

Have you noticed that most of the people who bring them up have something in common?..... (they are all new, or replying to a new persons post)

User is offline   Yause 

View PostSangman, on 11 March 2014 - 03:04 PM, said:

I'm finding it a little odd to see pleas for creating new games in the Duke Nukem, Redneck Rampage, Blood etc franchises. Sure that might be neat but I don't see why people are under the assumption that 3DR owns the rights to those titles.

At the very least, Interceptor has expressed interest in acquiring Blood.

....which brings us to the problem. Scott Miller already sold the most notable properties (Rise of the Triad, Duke Nukem, Max Payne, Prey), so they have little in their portfolio except Shadow Warrior and a bunch of old games (some of which are owned or co-owned by the original developers). Regarding thoughts on the direction of 3D Realms, many may be running up against a wall.

Ultimately, they'll have to build new brands and/or acquire existing ones, unless the vision is to reboot Kroz. Currently, there isn't much to advise 3D Realms on, except to make good games and cultivate young developers.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

They said that if the opportunity arose they would love to work on Blood. Unless I'm mistaken, they've never said they were actively pursuing it. Heads out of the clouds, people.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Just for reference, they said they would love to release Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded too.

User is offline   Malgon 

View PostYause, on 11 March 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

At the very least, Interceptor has expressed interest in acquiring Blood.

....which brings us to the problem. Scott Miller already sold the most notable properties (Rise of the Triad, Duke Nukem, Max Payne, Prey), so they have little in their portfolio except Shadow Warrior and a bunch of old games (some of which are owned or co-owned by the original developers). Regarding thoughts on the direction of 3D Realms, many may be running up against a wall.

Ultimately, they'll have to build new brands and/or acquire existing ones, unless the vision is to reboot Kroz. Currently, there isn't much to advise 3D Realms on, except to make good games and cultivate young developers.

I'm pretty sure 3D Realms still owns Rise of the Triad. The rest of the properties you listed were sold though.

Edit: The ones I highlighted in bold are the properties I'm referring to being sold.

This post has been edited by Malgon: 12 March 2014 - 12:29 AM

User is online   Lunick 

View PostMalgon, on 12 March 2014 - 12:28 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure 3D Realms still owns Rise of the Triad.

https://twitter.com/...221834043088896 No

User is offline   Malgon 

I stand corrected. Thanks Lunick.

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostYause, on 11 March 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

Ultimately, they'll have to build new brands and/or acquire existing ones

That could be done under the Interceptor name.
After the DNF debacle 3D Realms is now firmly a legacy name and its legacy games are already being sold through multiple channels, so at the moment I'm still unsure what exactly the point is.

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options