• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Future of 3D Realms - Fan Feedback!

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

View PostTea Monster, on 08 March 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

Unreal Tournament was the height of deathmatch at one point in time. I don't know how likely it would be for Unreal to give up the rights to it. On the other hand, I don't see them coming out with another title in the series any time soon, especially after the CEO's outspoken views about PC gamers.

MDK was wonderful. I'd love to see a new version of that.

I love Shiny games in general. MDK, Messiah and Sacrifice are 3 of my all-time favourites.

I have high hopes for Epic and Unreal.
When Mike Capps stepped down, he was hinting at another Unreal title with his ".. Guide the Ship towards Na-Pali.." comment.

EDIT:
Mike Capps, not Mark Rein

This post has been edited by Frederik Schreiber: 08 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 08 March 2014 - 02:47 PM, said:

When Mark Rein stepped down, he was hinting at another Unreal title with his ".. Guide the Ship towards Na-Pali.." comment.

Of course, but if somehow Epic won't ever release a new Unreal tournament game, we can always count on you to buy Epic Games and release a new Unreal Tournament right?
One can only dream!
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 08 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

Unreal Tournament was a great game, but I really don't see the IP worth resurrecting. There weren't really any characters or memorable locations, and the weapons were pretty standard fare IMO. It could be done well without relying on the UT name, just do it really damn good.
I'd love a new Halloween Harry game (I even loved Zombie Wars), but I'm pretty sure 3DR had no rights to it.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 08 March 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

Of course, but if somehow Epic won't ever release a new Unreal tournament game, we can always count on you to buy Epic Games and release a new Unreal Tournament right?
One can only dream!

With Epic's recent sale of the Gears of War IP to Microsoft, I doubt anyone will be able to afford to buy them anytime soon.
And, if Epic would ever remove their collective heads from said asses... and allow People Can Fly to make BulletStorm 2, I'd be happy.

The only series I have some odd interest in seeing reborn, would be Redneck Rampage.
I loved the idea behind it, but always felt the games were flawed in their execution. Mostly due to horrible level design (the sewer level was awful) and just some... stuff that just didn't feel completely finished.
It's a series I think would be interesting with a new spin, similar to how FWH re-birthed Shadow Warrior.

User is offline   HeadClot 

Hey Mr. Schreiber,

Honestly - I want a Tactical Shooter think classic Ghost Recon, classic Rainbow Six and SOCOM.
Games that have an emphasis on tactics and caution - instead of the typical Call of Duty guns blazing sort of thing.

I want to team up with my friends and move silently through an Hotel and rescue hostages or something of the like.
Just be sure to make it moddable. People still Play ghost recon and Rainbow Six to this day because of mods.

Another thing that comes to mind is the City Builder Genre.
I want a deep and modern city builder that is playable offline with Multi-region play. I know that people would pay for such a game.
Just do your research before you even start to attempt this. I recommend starting with this article on Wikipedia.
What I am asking for here is SimCity 4.5 without all the "Mayor Mission Stuff" and highly moddable.

The Real Time Tactics Genre
Games Such as Close combat Series where you command a limited amount of troops and Command them in battle.

I know that Matrix Games still owns the rights to the close combat franchise but If they would be willing to give it up is unknown.

Last game I would like to see a reboot/Re-Release for is Freelancer. Microsoft currently own the rights to it and mods are still being made for it.
However keep in mind that it is a Chris Roberts game of Wing Commander Fame. So BIG expectations for this game to be made right.

Modifiability of these games is a must.

Thanks for your time,

- HeadClot

This post has been edited by HeadClot: 08 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

I love Shiny games in general. MDK, Messiah and Sacrifice are 3 of my all-time favourites.

When Mark Rein stepped down, he was hinting at another Unreal title with his ".. Guide the Ship towards Na-Pali.." comment.

Wait, Mark Rein Stepped down?

When did this happen?

This post has been edited by HeadClot: 08 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

View PostDamien_Azreal, on 08 March 2014 - 04:54 PM, said:

The only series I have some odd interest in seeing reborn, would be Redneck Rampage.
I loved the idea behind it, but always felt the games were flawed in their execution. Mostly due to horrible level design (the sewer level was awful) and just some... stuff that just didn't feel completely finished.
It's a series I think would be interesting with a new spin, similar to how FWH re-birthed Shadow Warrior.

I think Activion-Blizzard own that licence. http://kotaku.com/51...redneck-rampage

I would love to see a team take a stab at doing something with the brand. UFO's and hillbillies are fantastic fodder for a shooter but since R.R's stuck with Activision, along with Hexen and Heretic (they weren't part of the id/Zenimax deal), it's unlikely to happen.

View PostMr. Tibbs, on 08 March 2014 - 05:09 PM, said:

I think Activion-Blizzard own that licence. http://kotaku.com/51...redneck-rampage

I would love to see a team take a stab at doing something with the brand. UFO's and hillbillies are fantastic fodder for a shooter but since R.R's stuck with Activision, along with Hexen and Heretic (they weren't part of the id/Zenimax deal), it's unlikely to happen.

Speaking along those lines the POSTAL franchise or something like it. I would love to see a modern remake of Postal 2 + Apocalypse Weekend.

This post has been edited by HeadClot: 08 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

User is offline   Malgon 

View PostHeadClot, on 08 March 2014 - 05:00 PM, said:

Wait, Mark Rein Stepped down?

When did this happen?

I just googled that and that was Mike Capps who said that when he stepped down, not Mark Rein, who as far as I know is still at Epic.

Edit: This is the link to the article in question.

This post has been edited by Malgon: 08 March 2014 - 05:43 PM

View PostMalgon, on 08 March 2014 - 05:40 PM, said:

I just googled that and that was Mike Capps who said that when he stepped down, not Mark Rein, who as far as I know is still at Epic.

Edit: This is the link to the article in question.

Hey Thanks, for the clarification on that.

User is offline   ---- 

Unreal Tournament was the height of deathmatch at one point in time. I don't know how likely it would be for Unreal to give up the rights to it. On the other hand, I don't see them coming out with another title in the series any time soon, especially after the CEO's outspoken views about PC gamers.

Epic has changed a little since Mike Capps left. It was during his time as president that UT3 looked like GOW and that PC is not worth developing for. After Mike Capps' departure from EPIC they announced a fast paced online shooter (new IP) for PC (and consoles). The attitude changed since then.

But trying to get a license for another UT game would be cool. But then you need people from the UT community who know what the UT fans want and also what is needed to mix gameplay so that it still is a commercial success without sacrificing anything.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 08 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

User is offline   mpuone 

How much would it cost for the Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing IP?

This post has been edited by mpuone: 09 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

View Postfuegerstef, on 08 March 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

Epic has changed a little since Mike Capps left. It was during his time as president that UT3 looked like GOW and that PC is not worth developing for. After Mike Capps' departure from EPIC they announced a fast paced online shooter (new IP) for PC (and consoles). The attitude changed since then.

But trying to get a license for another UT game would be cool. But then you need people from the UT community who know what the UT fans want and also what is needed to mix gameplay so that it still is a commercial success without sacrificing anything.

Wasn't Cliff Blezinsky a thorn in the non jewish pc gamer's asses before he left epic?
I'm pretty sure that jackass was instrumental in one of the biggest most official anti pc propaganda that ever took place.
He had such a huge fanbase of gears of war children that saw him as their god.
When he said gears of war 2 and 3 are not coming for pc because pc = pirates blablabla, a whole generation of little shits looked up to him and started preaching his anti pc message on every pc/console game forum, trailer, screenshot or comment box that ever existed on this internet...

I liked Jazz Jackrabbit but after what he did with his anti pc bullshit, I wanted to have him hanged by the ears until they elongated like his sonic ripoff green rabbit...

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 08 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostDamien_Azreal, on 08 March 2014 - 04:54 PM, said:

A primarily Danish/European studio are the last people who should touch Redneck Rampage though. It needs Americana. A reboot would be great, but it needs special attention and love. No Beat Farmers and Mojo Nixon would cause me to start a fucking riot.

View PostHeadClot, on 08 March 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

Speaking along those lines the POSTAL franchise or something like it. I would love to see a modern remake of Postal 2 + Apocalypse Weekend.

Why remake it? An actual sequel is much more in order and Running With Scissors is still planning on making that happen.

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 08 March 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

Thank you so much for all the great feedback :blink:
We are already working on a strong strategy for the future of 3D Realms, which both includes old classics brought to new platforms such as Steam and Consoles, as well as brand new IP's.

I would like to hear what other IP's you guys would like to see resurrected.
Besides bringing back 3D Realms with full force, we would also like to bring back life to older IP's, not necessarily related to 3D Realms, which we believe still has a place in todays games industry.

We believe that Flying Wild Hog's Shadow Warrior, and our own Rise of the Triad, are great examples, as well as Devolvers Duke3D Megaton Edition, and SW: Redux.

What childhood heroes would you like to see return?

Hey Fred, I for one, am quite confussed about what 3D Realms actually owns the license to? Could you please mention some of the ''biggest'' IPs that you own? :blink:

View PostJimmy, on 08 March 2014 - 06:07 PM, said:

Why remake it? An actual sequel is much more in order and Running With Scissors is still planning on making that happen.

Honestly I did not know that... I only know the terror that was Postal 3 and the Awesome that was Postal 2 and Apocalypse weekend.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

RWS made the mistake of outsourcing their IP to a random European studio.

View PostJimmy, on 08 March 2014 - 06:15 PM, said:

That would explain alot about Postal 3... The bugs and why it did not feel like Postal 2.

This post has been edited by HeadClot: 08 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

View PostJimmy, on 08 March 2014 - 06:15 PM, said:

It was actually a Russian studio not just any random european studio.
In my book, that is why it was bad.
Any other random european studio might have made it even better than it's original developers if you ask me.
But if you give it to russians, you should expect nothing more than shit.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

It's all the same, none of those people are white.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 08 March 2014 - 06:21 PM, said:

It was actually a Russian studio not just any random european studio.
In my book, that is why it was bad.
Any other random european studio might have made it even better than it's original developers if you ask me.
But if you give it to russians, you should expect nothing more than shit.

See the Stalker games, Metro Last Light and Metro 2033.

They are awesome games from eastern european and Russian studios. :blink:

This post has been edited by HeadClot: 08 March 2014 - 06:23 PM

View PostHeadClot, on 08 March 2014 - 06:23 PM, said:

Whoever ignorantly rated me down in my above post, should know that Stalker games and Metro games were made in Ukraine not Russia...
If whoever rated me down for dissing russian studios doesn't know this yet, Ukraine is kind of at war with Russia RIGHT NOW over the fact that half of Ukraine(the part where the stalker and metro studios are) do not speak russian, do not consider themselves russians and refuse to be bossed by russia and much rather join the european union and live by western standards.
If you are ignorant enough to not know how to differentiate between russia and ukraine, then go back to school and learn some more.

I maintain what I said. Russian game studios produce SHIT and I'm pretty sure that Postal 3 could have been much better if an Ukrainian studio would have made it.

This post has been edited by Mr.Deviance: 08 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostDukeNukem64, on 08 March 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

Hey Fred, I for one, am quite confussed about what 3D Realms actually owns the license to? Could you please mention some of the ''biggest'' IPs that you own? :blink:

This. Especially with some of the early stuff which is part-owned by Id, it can get confusing.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Realms of chaos 2 is something that i would love to see, but it would have to be a platformer.

View PostMr.Deviance, on 08 March 2014 - 06:57 PM, said:

Whoever ignorantly rated me down in my above post, should know that Stalker games and Metro games were made in Ukraine not Russia...
If whoever rated me down for dissing russian studios doesn't know this yet, Ukraine is kind of at war with Russia RIGHT NOW over the fact that half of Ukraine(the part where the stalker and metro studios are) do not speak russian, do not consider themselves russians and refuse to be bossed by russia and much rather join the european union and live by western standards.
If you are ignorant enough to not know how to differentiate between russia and ukraine, then go back to school and learn some more.

I maintain what I said. Russian game studios produce SHIT and I'm pretty sure that Postal 3 could have been much better if an Ukrainian studio would have made it.

I double checked and you were right - The Stalker and Metro Series were made by Ukrainian Studios.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 08 March 2014 - 01:25 PM, said:

I would like to hear what other IP's you guys would like to see resurrected.
Besides bringing back 3D Realms with full force, we would also like to bring back life to older IP's, not necessarily related to 3D Realms, which we believe still has a place in todays games industry.

What childhood heroes would you like to see return?

a good side scroller would be nice (ala commander keen/jazz jackrabbit)

This post has been edited by Forge: 08 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostTea Monster, on 08 March 2014 - 06:57 PM, said:

This. Especially with some of the early stuff which is part-owned by Id, it can get confusing.

Anything developed by id but published by 3DR is probably owned by Bethesda/Zenimax.

User is offline   Alithinos 

View PostHeadClot, on 08 March 2014 - 06:23 PM, said:

I liked STALKER games,while they were buggy and had outdated graphics in comparison to Crysis,they were quite nice games. I really liked the open world approach with side-quests they went for and the addition of RPG elements,and the freedom and atmosphere,something that I think it was the first series that tried that.

But am I the only guy not liking Metro 2033 ?
Its guns lacked punch even with the 'good' bullets,and there parts there just seems there is no way you can progress and you get stuck,and it often becomes quite frustrating. I tried many times to continue playing it to completion,but I kept giving up with it and instead spending my time with more interesting games. Now I'm mostly playing DayZ.
On another note,I really liked the book Metro 2033.

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 08 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

User is offline   Cage 

I'd love to see that too, but only if the developers would keep the specific, silly ideas and the art style of the original, which I find unmistakeable. MDK2 looks totally different (I'd say it even looks generic, compared to the first part), which made it feel a lot less "MDK" for me.

User is offline   ---- 

View PostMr.Deviance, on 08 March 2014 - 06:05 PM, said:

Wasn't Cliff Blezinsky a thorn in the non jewish pc gamer's asses before he left epic?
I'm pretty sure that jackass was instrumental in one of the biggest most official anti pc propaganda that ever took place.
He had such a huge fanbase of gears of war children that saw him as their god.
When he said gears of war 2 and 3 are not coming for pc because pc = pirates blablabla, a whole generation of little shits looked up to him and started preaching his anti pc message on every pc/console game forum, trailer, screenshot or comment box that ever existed on this internet...

I liked Jazz Jackrabbit but after what he did with his anti pc bullshit, I wanted to have him hanged by the ears until they elongated like his sonic ripoff green rabbit...

And that's why I don't give rats about the statements of the people behind the games.

Here is a recent quote of him

"“PC is where I’m going to wind up. That’s where the community is. ... "

Its from 2014. http://gamerant.com/...pc-development/ In 2012 he already advised startups to develop for PC because of Sony's and MS's platform practices.

And regarding the above article where he also ditches disc based gaming. I am sure in 2 years he will publish there too.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 09 March 2014 - 01:45 AM

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options