• 21 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Future of 3D Realms - Fan Feedback!

User is offline   Frederik Schreiber 

• Slipgate Studios

Hi Guys!

As you might already know, the investment group behind Interceptor has acquired 3D Realms.
In relation to that, I would love to hear some feedback from you guys!

We are very excited about the acquisition, and we would love the input of the fans moving forward.

What would you like to see from 3D Realms in the future? Both in relation to games, strategy, the forums and the legacy. :blink:

Remake Duke Nukem 3D.
Don't mess it up like RoTT.

That's all. Thanks.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostRaffelkapptn, on 02 March 2014 - 02:32 PM, said:

Remake Duke Nukem 3D.
Don't mess it up like RoTT.

That's not very constructive, since 1) you didn't give any actual points about why you think they "messed up" ROTT, 2) just because they bought 3DR doesn't mean they can ignore the legal documents 3DR signed before they bought them, and 3)

View PostTerminX, on 23 January 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

The build I got a copy of was promising in terms of the graphical resources (the models and textures and what was finished of the one map were all very nice), but it was pretty clear that nobody had put much effort into actually programming the thing. They claimed publicly that they were 90%+ finished with a multiplayer beta, but even basic stuff like firing weapons was pretty badly broken. I have a feeling that they knew DN:R wasn't going anywhere and started working on ROTT quite a while before any mention of DN:R never actually coming out was made anywhere.

Then... just do nothing.

User is offline   Sangman 

Please stop remaking stuff and do your own thing (unless, of course, Interceptor's thing is remaking old games, but I'm hoping the 3DR name will be used for something more than just that)

3DRealms name has to be used for Duke Nukem of course. There was no real Duke game for 18 years now. And there won't be, since Gearbox sucks. Interceptor/3DRealms has to create a real Duke Nukem game. That's my opinion.

This post has been edited by Raffelkapptn: 02 March 2014 - 03:32 PM

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

The first thing that everyone is going to say is "A NEW DUKE GAME!!!!!!"

I don't know if that is possible or not legally. Do you have the rights to do something like Reloaded - something based heavily on the first game, rather than something 'new'? What do you have the rights to do Duke-wise?

Failing that, I assume you are going to be choosing one or two other older 3DR IP's to make some kind of new version of.

If you look at the history of Duke Nukem, they took a 2d platformer and morphed it into something wonderful. There is no reason that this formula can't be replicated with any of the older 3DR titles. Imagine if you took the basic premise of Bio Menance and applied some of the same formula that 3DR did with Duke Nukem. You could have a storming game if it was done right.

User is offline   Sangman 

View PostTea Monster, on 02 March 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

Imagine if you took the basic premise of Bio Menance and applied some of the same formula that 3DR did with Duke Nukem. You could have a storming game if it was done right.

This is correct but I'm honestly a bit opposed to this "fad" of creating a new game and slapping the name of a 90's classic on it, or even just creating remakes. I dunno exploiting name recognition like that to draw in the 90's kids audience just seems lazy. But I guess the 3D Realms name was bought for exactly that purpose. I hope I'm wrong.

This post has been edited by Sangman: 02 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

View PostTea Monster, on 02 March 2014 - 02:49 PM, said:

The first thing that everyone is going to say is "A NEW DUKE GAME!!!!!!"

I don't know if that is possible or not legally. Do you have the rights to do something like Reloaded - something based heavily on the first game, rather than something 'new'? What do you have the rights to do Duke-wise?

Failing that, I assume you are going to be choosing one or two other older 3DR IP's to make some kind of new version of.

If you look at the history of Duke Nukem, they took a 2d platformer and morphed it into something wonderful. There is no reason that this formula can't be replicated with any of the older 3DR titles. Imagine if you took the basic premise of Bio Menance and applied some of the same formula that 3DR did with Duke Nukem. You could have a storming game if it was done right.

They have the rights of the original Duke 3D game. If they are not allowed to finish Reloaded, then they could help optimizing eduke32 + Polymer and bring it to Steam. Also remaking some maps etc.
Would be great as hell.

User is offline   Oook 

Please, create a game where you kill aliens and ride motorcycles in the city at night with a witty badass character... who of course is not Duke Nukem... I don't know, perhaps Count Down.

User is offline   blackharted3 

• Resident Dufus

A new Duke game, using the 3DR name would be great. No more remaking classics, here's a novel concept: instead of remaking a classic, actually MAKE a classic yourself please.

If nothing else a new Duke game please. Hint the more like the 2001 trailer it is, the happier I suspect people are gonna be.

User is offline   Kyanos 

Port Pharaohs Tomb to iOS!! :blink: I'm not even kidding. I played that forever on a green and black monitor, I think the pc was a Tandy...

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostRaffelkapptn, on 02 March 2014 - 02:51 PM, said:

then they could help optimizing eduke32 + Polymer and bring it to Steam. Also remaking some maps etc.

What the fuck? Did you even think before you posted this?

User is offline   KareBear 

More releases like LameDuke (e.g. Alpha/Beta versions of Shadow Warrior) please.

This post has been edited by KareBear: 02 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

• Polymancer

View PostRaffelkapptn, on 02 March 2014 - 02:51 PM, said:

They have the rights of the original Duke 3D game. If they are not allowed to finish Reloaded, then they could help optimizing eduke32 + Polymer and bring it to Steam. Also remaking some maps etc.
Would be great as hell.

If they took EDuke, wrote an optimized renderer for it and then released a NEW episode for the orignial Duke 3D, with modern graphics, new levels and monsters, that might sell a bit and should escape the legal dept of Gearbox.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 02 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Remake Bio Menace.

View PostTea Monster, on 02 March 2014 - 03:11 PM, said:

If they took EDuke, wrote an optimized renderer for it and then released a NEW episode for the orignial Duke 3D, with modern graphics, new levels and monsters, that might sell a bit and should escape the legal dept of Gearbox.

Didn't say anything about new episodes. Just about remaking the old ones or updating them.

• Weaponized Autism

Fresch, it doesn't necessarily matter what you do as long as you do it well. Obviously, since you own 3DR now you also own close to 30 years of IP.

You may see from my avatar, Major Stryker's ship with the side shields and speed powerup (which I have had for years and don't plan on changing for the forseeable future), that I am a passionate fan of many titles in Apogee's collection. Around these forums you can find my criticism of your 2012 Apogee logo. I don't know either ROTT game well enough to comment on that. What I can say for sure is that it is in your best interests to to tread lightly on Apogee history. A bad remake can be a disgrace, while a great remake can be a triumph. Do your research, keep talking to fans, and sample other perspectives. Moreover, get creative with your own, brand new IP.

I also suggest that you continue to keep an open mind about licensing 3DR's IP to other developers. SW2013 was well-received by fans, Megaton and Redux have been a success, and somewhere, some guy is remaking Wacky Wheels.

View PostKareBear, on 02 March 2014 - 03:08 PM, said:

More releases like LameDuke (e.g. Alpha/Beta versions of Shadow Warrior) please.

Shameless plug! If you own 3DR then you also have the opportunity to make a rabid subset of the fanbase very, very happy. I can talk more in PM if this piques your interest.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

-For the love of gawd stop remaking things..... i want to see new a new IP.

-Buy back the old 3DR building and save the floor... if it still exists.

-Keep the company stationed in in Texas.

-Release 1998 DNF beta and source.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostReaperMan, on 02 March 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

-Buy back the old 3DR building and save the floor... if it still exists.

The building still exists but the floor does not.

• Polymancer

I think that Interceptor would be well served by making their own IP, but then, they aren't going to buy out 3DR, come to the No 1 Duke fan site and ask us what to do and expect that answer :blink:

User is offline   xMobilemux 

Make your own IP, make it something that isn't seen a lot of these days that'll get you noticed, some new IPs that have the old school shooter gameplay will be good and all, but try something new, like a new stealth IP, a new survival horror IP or even go Hack n Slash, something not seen much in this generation.

If you're planning on re releasing or porting some of 3DRs old games, then do whatever is necessary to track down the assets of Time to Kill, Land of the Babes, Zero Hour and port them to PC.

Also if you do end up releasing a new Duke Nukem game, ditch the dark, gritty and serious direction, it's a massive waste of potential.

EDIT: Also don't change 3D Realm's logo.

This post has been edited by xMobilemux: 02 March 2014 - 03:45 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

- Bigbox game releases

User is offline   Paul B 

View PostFrederik Schreiber, on 02 March 2014 - 02:29 PM, said:

Hi Guys!

As you might already know, the investment group behind Interceptor has acquired 3D Realms.
In relation to that, I would love to hear some feedback from you guys!

We are very excited about the acquisition, and we would love the input of the fans moving forward.

What would you like to see from 3D Realms in the future? Both in relation to games, strategy, the forums and the legacy. :blink:

Well this is interesting news. In order to be successful in a new release Duke game you have to look at what made Duke3D successful to begin with. Gameplay, Co-op Play, Death Match, Weapon Selection, Fast paced action.

So if you are planning on making a new game you don't want to really change this up otherwise you'll go down the same path as DNF.

People want Laser Trip Mines, not proximity mines, Pipebombs with a detonator button, Chain Guns, ShotGuns, RPG, etc.. Keep the same weapons just upgrade the quality of their design. Make sure that Co-op play works with at least 2 players from the start of the single player mission right through to the end of the game. Having the right balance between city and aliens. I prefer if most of it was based on Earth that way people can relate to the environment more. Bring the battle back to earth with maybe a side mission to the alien planet.

Of course the Duke fans always enjoy the witty adult humor associated with Duke's character.

Good luck!

This post has been edited by Paul B: 02 March 2014 - 10:18 PM

Don't talk/ask. Just go do.

Small scope, huge heart, solid implementation. Build from there.

Tell Joe he can release his alpha/beta disc now. Intimidate him with your hair, if you have to.

This post has been edited by RinyRed: 02 March 2014 - 03:50 PM

Love to see duke nukem time to kill and land of the babes rerelease

User is offline   ---- 

Concentrate on the Shadow Warrior IP.

User is offline   HulkNukem 

1. Allow people to remake Duke 3D in different game engines if possible
2. Finish Duke Reloaded if possible
3. Re release Zero Hour/remake Zero Hour is possible

Thanks

This post has been edited by HulkNukem: 02 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

User is offline   blackharted3 

• Resident Dufus

Oh yeah I was gonna suggest you finish Reloaded, but remakes are passé, plus I think it's a much better idea that you just concentrate on one project at a time.

I suggest you build a brand new Duke game from scratch, preferably that makes full use of this new generation of gaming. Maybe the first good Kinect shooter?

Share this topic:

• 21 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options