Duke4.net Forums: [Wip] Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown - Duke4.net Forums

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

[Wip] Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown  "Full mod, not lite version"

User is offline   Jblade 

You can try that, but I'm not sure how effective it would be. Just experiment with the numbers and see what you're happy with, I'm 99% sure you can just out the palettes in mapster after making them with the menu to see if they work for you or not.

User is offline   NNC 

I actually think this TC would be more interesting without those modified features, graphics, font types of the original PSX version, and only with the new episode itself with the sufficient art and sounds to it. It would feel more like a 5th episode, and not something that hacks the entire game.

User is offline   Mav3r1ck 

View PostNancsi, on 23 April 2014 - 01:21 AM, said:

I actually think this TC would be more interesting without those modified features, graphics, font types of the original PSX version, and only with the new episode itself with the sufficient art and sounds to it. It would feel more like a 5th episode, and not something that hacks the entire game.

If I understood correctly, Fox is making two versions. One for Eduke32 with the added features and one that doesn't use Eduke or have the all features included.

EDIT: Does this TC also have the DNTM ending level score screen?

This post has been edited by Mav3r1ck: 23 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

User is online   Lunick 

Which is longer to play Fox, Derelict or Nightmare Zone?

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Nightmare Zone, but that's just me.

View PostMav3r1ck, on 23 April 2014 - 04:58 AM, said:

EDIT: Does this TC also have the DNTM ending level score screen?

No. It would require some video support which Eduke quite doesn't have yet.

This post has been edited by Fox: 24 April 2014 - 04:13 AM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostFox, on 24 April 2014 - 04:11 AM, said:

No. It would require some video support which Eduke quite doesn't have yet.

This made me think... would it be appropriate to have a single event, say EVENT_CUTSCENE, that would be entered just before a cutscene is supposed to be played? The passed RETURN variable would encode stuff like the episode number and whether it's an intro or ending scene. It would also be examined on exit from the event so that one could code a custom cutscene in it and request the hard-coded one to be canceled, for example.

View PostHelixhorned, on 24 April 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

This made me think... would it be appropriate to have a single event, say EVENT_CUTSCENE, that would be entered just before a cutscene is supposed to be played? The passed RETURN variable would encode stuff like the episode number and whether it's an intro or ending scene. It would also be examined on exit from the event so that one could code a custom cutscene in it and request the hard-coded one to be canceled, for example.

You mean like where it plays the animation of Duke reloading his shotgun and then the score for the beaten level pops up? The original Duke 3D did that after you beat the level and so does Total Meltdown.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostHelixhorned, on 24 April 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

That wouldn't work for this case, since it's more complicated than that. The 3DRealms logo and title screens are videos, and so is Duke cocking his shotgun in the screen beetween levels.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

So in addition, you'd need an API to start playing ANM/VP8 videos? That's planned too (hint: Lunatic), but I have no starting point idea for now.

So it would be impossible to somehow have these converted in a way that it can be used for Duke 3D? Or mabye perhaps replicate these vids using Duke 3D's current technology or Eduke's?

This post has been edited by Mav3r1ck: 24 April 2014 - 10:19 AM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

The one thing with the inter-level cutscenes for TM is that they change slightly based on how well you do. If you had a hard time getting through the map or took a lot of damage Duke makes a pained sound. Sometimes he'll cock his weapon, sometimes he'll blow the smoke from the barrel and say "Yeah, piece a cake." There's actually a bit of subtle variety to it.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostHelixhorned, on 24 April 2014 - 10:06 AM, said:

So in addition, you'd need an API to start playing ANM/VP8 videos? That's planned too (hint: Lunatic), but I have no starting point idea for now.

Yes, but there isn't even an event for 3DRealms logo yet.

User is offline   NNC 

Could that sentry drone in the cutscene be used as a base for a 3D model?

TBH, I know very little about Duke 3D modding. At best the only thing I know as far as Duke 3D modding is concerned is how to add custom music and thats it lol. I'm somewhat understanding what yall are getting at but at the same time, I'm trying to keep up lol.

Are the cutscenes in TM and 3D in a different format? which is why they're so different?

User is offline   Fox 

The cutscenes are pre-rendered videos. They are mostly different because Total Meltdown re-rendered the scenes with more resolution and used a better Duke model.

User is offline   Darkus 

I made a little search and I've found this thread. Hendricks266 has already converted the PSX Videos in IVF format, but they are in a smaller resolution than the original ones (320x208 instead of 640x208).

This post has been edited by Darkus: 24 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

Nice!

Can those converted PSX videos be implemented into Duke 3D?

EDIT: Scratch that, after reading the thread that Darkus has provided, it appears that Hendricks266 had converted the PSX videos for the purpose of adding them to 3D if I'm understanding correctly.

This post has been edited by Mav3r1ck: 24 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

User is online   Lunick 

Fox did two more videos but because Duke4 was down, I guess he didn't post them:

B)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

http://forums.duke4....post__p__193273

User is online   Lunick 

Ugh, guess I didn't see because of the forums being down B)

View PostDarkus, on 24 April 2014 - 11:58 AM, said:

I made a little search and I've found this thread. Hendricks266 has already converted the PSX Videos in IVF format, but they are in a smaller resolution than the original ones (320x208 instead of 640x208).

better than nothing. i say go with what one can get. in this case. these TM videos

User is offline   NNC 

I've watched the NM demo, and it's impressive, especially the layout which was very tricky and well thought-out. The new Pigcop roam sounds are hurting my ears though, I prefer them being silent in the original version. The Liztroopontoilet down in the dressing room should be changed to Liztroopjustsit... also the missing ST2 in the water pool should be used (unless it's an issue of a floor aligned sprite, which is a game bug). I don't think these additions would hurt the level.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 27 April 2014 - 12:54 AM

User is online   Lunick 

If you want Fox to change a level then you're gonna have a bad time...

User is offline   NNC 

View PostLunick, on 27 April 2014 - 12:59 AM, said:

If you want Fox to change a level then you're gonna have a bad time...

Yeah, I remember he called this as blasphemy... I don't agree with this though.

User is offline   Fox 

I may include a multiplayer patch, but it will be indiscernible in single-player.

You guys should take a pencil and go to The Louvre museum fix the Mona Lisa.

This post has been edited by Fox: 27 April 2014 - 05:34 AM

User is offline   NNC 

Why they release patches or DLCs to games I don't know.

User is offline   Fox 

Leonardo da Vinci would also retouch his paitings, so why The Louvre don't let visitors fix Mona Lisa?

This post has been edited by Fox: 27 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

Maps for a video game = mona lisa

User is offline   Nukey 

Presuming that was sarcasm, my question would be:

What makes the Mona Lisa any more artistically important than Nightmare Zone?

From a purely artistic standpoint, it's just a matter of opinion. The Mona Lisa is important only because most of the human population decided it's important.

If it were somehow forced into my possession, with no option of giving it away or selling it, I'd destroy it without a second thought. It means nothing to me.

Anyway, changing official ripped maps = blasphemy. B)

User is online   Lunick 

Not releasing to the public = blasphemy Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options