Duke4.net Forums: [Wip] Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown - Duke4.net Forums

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

[Wip] Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown  "Full mod, not lite version"

User is offline   Mav3r1ck 

But how? I know almost nothing as far as modding Duke3D is concerned.

User is offline   Nukey 

Editing the DEFS.CON and USER.CON configuration files. I'd elaborate but I'm on a smartphone right now.

View PostNukey, on 06 May 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

Editing the DEFS.CON and USER.CON configuration files. I'd elaborate but I'm on a smartphone right now.

Thats fine. Perhaps someone else can give me an example.

User is offline   Nukey 

I have a technical explanation that might help: http://infosuite.duk...nces_sound_list

View PostNukey, on 06 May 2014 - 01:14 PM, said:

I have a technical explanation that might help: http://infosuite.duk...nces_sound_list

Thanks B)

User is offline   Nukey 

No problem

View PostNukey, on 06 May 2014 - 01:36 PM, said:

No problem

I was able to get a sound added in, but I'm having problems adding the new duke quotes and I can't seem to figure it out.

User is offline   Nukey 

Maybe PM me with some details, and I'll take a look after work.

View PostNukey, on 06 May 2014 - 01:42 PM, said:

Maybe PM me with some details, and I'll take a look after work.

Alright. This is what I tried to do.

Ok, in the user.con I added this: definesound JIBBED_ACTOR16 betterthen.wav 0 0 255 12 0

And in the defs.com I added this: define JIBBED_ACTOR16 398

After I did all that I added the "betterthen" (they don't make'em better then me) .wav in the directory with the eduke3d.exe and started it up with no problems. However, no matter how many times I blew up an alien, duke never used the quote I tried to add. I'm guessing I did something wrong.

EDIT: As far as those numbers that come after the betterthen.wav is concerned. I simply copied and pasted it from one of Duke's existing quotes.

This post has been edited by Mav3r1ck: 06 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

User is offline   Nukey 

Could be the wav itself. I'll check it when I get home.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostMav3r1ck, on 06 May 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

Alright. This is what I tried to do.

Ok, in the user.con I added this: definesound JIBBED_ACTOR16 betterthen.wav 0 0 255 12 0

And in the defs.com I added this: define JIBBED_ACTOR16 398

After I did all that I added the "betterthen" (they don't make'em better then me) .wav in the directory with the eduke3d.exe and started it up with no problems. However, no matter how many times I blew up an alien, duke never used the quote I tried to add. I'm guessing I did something wrong.

EDIT: As far as those numbers that come after the betterthen.wav is concerned. I simply copied and pasted it from one of Duke's existing quotes.

That's because you only added the new sound, but it's never used in the game.

View PostFox, on 06 May 2014 - 02:57 PM, said:

That's because you only added the new sound, but it's never used in the game.

So theres no way to get it used in game?

User is offline   Nukey 

Ya Fox has got it. I can't concentrate at work B)

User is offline   Fox 

That would be state jib_sounds, which would require some knowledge of CON language.

View PostNukey, on 06 May 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

apparently, several:

and these two look like they were psx exclusives:

will post more details after job

Another question, does the .pmp files have redundant sound files, or is that just how you organized the upload?

User is offline   Nukey 

View PostMav3r1ck, on 06 May 2014 - 03:01 PM, said:

So theres no way to get it used in game?

You can, it's just that what you're trying to do is a bit more complicated. The game now has your new sound defined, but the game is not coded to actually call that sound. If you were simply replacing an existing sound definition, it would work.

User is offline   Nukey 

View PostFox, on 06 May 2014 - 03:07 PM, said:

Another question, does the .pmp files have redundant sound files, or is that just how you organized the upload?

Redundant as shit. Getting them dumped that way took some doing. I am not a fan of the PMP format.

When something in DukePSX is complicated, it's because it's poorly designed. Whereas when something in Duke64 is complicated, it's because it's cleverly designed.

In my experience, working on Duke64 is like digging through a stranger's filing cabinet. Working on DukePSX is like digging through a stranger's snot-covered trash bin.

View PostNukey, on 06 May 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

You can, it's just that what you're trying to do is a bit more complicated. The game now has your new sound defined, but the game is not coded to actually call that sound. If you were simply replacing an existing sound definition, it would work.

Yeah, I was able to gather that replacing sounds with a file of the same name would overwrite them and the game would play the newly added one instead of the original. So I did get it write but I didn't code it to where the game would actually use it. Well at least I know a little more about it.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostNukey, on 06 May 2014 - 04:02 PM, said:

Redundant as shit. Getting them dumped that way took some doing. I am not a fan of the PMP format.

Interesting. That explains why the Magnum P.I.G. sounds are missing, including the shotgun fire.

Edit: It's surprising that they have added the DUKE_BREATHING and DUKE_EXHALING sounds that are missing from the original game.

This post has been edited by Fox: 06 May 2014 - 06:30 PM

User is offline   Nukey 

View PostFox, on 06 May 2014 - 06:08 PM, said:

Edit: It's surprising that they have added the DUKE_BREATHING and DUKE_EXHALING sounds that are missing from the original game.

Ya hey, I thought so too... were those in Duke v1.3d?

This post has been edited by Nukey: 06 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

User is offline   Fox 

Nope, not even v0.99.

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

They existed at one point. It sounds like they were for the space suit.

User is offline   Nukey 

If I had to guess I'd say the PSX team was probably handed a whole pile of assets from 3D Realms, and that included some older unused files.

Were they never released otherwise? Too bad the PSX format is lossy or we'd have some nice lossless copies of previously unavailable assets.

edit: I also figured space suit^

This post has been edited by Nukey: 06 May 2014 - 07:41 PM

User is offline   Fox 

Sounds 90 and 92 have different bytes, is it really like that?

User is offline   Nukey 

View PostFox, on 06 May 2014 - 08:06 PM, said:

Sounds 90 and 92 have different bytes, is it really like that?

I see some metadata differences in the wavs, but the actual sample data looks identical.

The source files are slightly different as well, but again, their actual sample data is identical. I'd chalk it up to a minor technicality for now.

User is online   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNukey, on 06 May 2014 - 07:39 PM, said:

Were they never released otherwise?

See the other thread about Beta stuff. I listened to the actual originals.

User is offline   Fox 

Here is the list of identical sounds with different bytes:

90 - 92
171 - 255
68 - 194
148 - 170

I guess it's okay to get rid of the duplicates.

User is offline   Nukey 

You probably already noticed those sound numbers reference the exact same files in PC too, which explains why they're duplicates.

Anyway, I went through and confirmed everything. There are subtle differences in the file structures, but none of it affects the raw sample data.

It's fine to delete the duplicates. I recommend deleting 90, 170, 171, and 194, simply because they have more "cruft" data in the wav files.

This post has been edited by Nukey: 06 May 2014 - 11:52 PM

User is offline   Nukey 

Okay, I reckon I'm satisfied enough with these files to "publish" a copy now.

The volume adjustments have been squashed into a single byte, which is why many of their values differ from the PC originals.

E1L9 uses its own distinct copy of the sound definitions. I am willing to wager that E1L9 (being a test map) is older than the others and hence was compiled with an earlier version of the CON files, and then never recompiled later on when they finished the game.

Comparing the two definition files will give you a kind of time-lapsed perspective on the changes they made. At a glance, E1L9 definitions are slightly closer to the original PC definitions. In fact, almost every single value up until Sound 316 seems to be identical (the only one I recall being different may have been a v1.3d difference). The Episode 4 definition range is where things begin to differ from the PC game (as expected). Aside from a string of values in the Episode 4 range, and most of the priority values, these two PSX definition files aren't all that different, either.

I should also mention that the "official" USER.CON sound definition order is at least partially intact. I haven't got the patience in me right now, but eventually it would be possible to reconstruct a large portion of it.

Ermmm what else. I think that's it.

Attached File(s)

hope this mod isn't going to be a problem

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Why would it be?

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options