• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

[Wip] Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown  "Full mod, not lite version"

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I will only include "new" sprites.

User is offline   Mav3r1ck 

Is that music effect also gonna be in the Ministry of Fear?

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostFox, on 03 February 2014 - 07:10 PM, said:

I will only include "new" sprites.

They are "new" sprites, though. They are also a part of the Total Meltdown experience and it's ambience. All the enemies were re-rendered from the original source material. They absolutely should be included. Posted Image

User is offline   Lunick 

I would be disappointed if the new sprites of the past enemies that appear in Plug N Pray were not included. I'm sure the old pig cop sprites would be jarring compared to the exclusive pig cops that some levels have.

Although, I kind of want it now and this would probably take you more time aha :(

This post has been edited by Lunick: 03 February 2014 - 11:01 PM

Indeed it would take more time, but since all thats being added is the new levels, textures, art and sprites along with new sounds and Duke quotes, it will be out much earlier.

This post has been edited by Urukiora: 04 February 2014 - 12:01 AM

User is offline   NNC 

This will be the "lite" version. I prefer playing it in two weeks time with the standard enemies, than playing it in December with all the modified sprites etc.

User is offline   Nukey 

I guess I should post some kind of update for those interested.

Aside from a few minor things, I have effectively finished my contributions for this mod. The last few things I remember doing were:

-Documenting a loose framework for the PMP format.
-Documenting the PMP decompression algorithm.
-Decompressing everything within the PMP format - this revealed the elusive cycler arrays, among other things.
-Regenerating the map files with functional mirrors, cyclers, and gpspeeds.
-Extracting the sample rate information for all sounds.

As far as I am aware, this means the map files, taken by themselves, are effectively complete. The only original information that was lost is the coordinate data for the regenerated sprites, which is not necessary for them to function properly. One of the mirrors is also broken for unrelated reasons, but I'm sure that can be fixed easily enough. The PMP format itself is now wide open for further analysis.

I have no idea what the time-frame is for release, so I can't really comment on that.

Anyway, It's been fun.

This post has been edited by Nukey: 04 February 2014 - 09:39 AM

User is offline   Fox 

View PostUrukiora, on 03 February 2014 - 10:17 PM, said:

Is that music effect also gonna be in the Ministry of Fear?

Yes.

View PostCommando Nukem, on 03 February 2014 - 10:52 PM, said:

They are "new" sprites, though. They are also a part of the Total Meltdown experience and it's ambience. All the enemies were re-rendered from the original source material. They absolutely should be included. Posted Image

It's simply too much work to include all textures from all episodes.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Which work in particular are you referring to? Perhaps there is an easier way.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostTerminX, on 04 February 2014 - 07:47 AM, said:

Which work in particular are you referring to? Perhaps there is an easier way.

The only way I know of is intercepting the OpenGL driver device, meaning that it's very exausting.

This post has been edited by Fox: 04 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

User is offline   K100 

Plus, the ps1 sprites are all inferior to the pc version. So I think he shouldn't take time to extract them. He is right to focus on the new stuffs first. It's more important.

Oh and good job, the screenshots are really great. I can't wait !

View PostFox, on 04 February 2014 - 05:12 AM, said:

It's simply too much work to include all textures from all episodes.

Is there something wrong with the sprite rips from Darkus? It looks like you've already completed implementing the new Plug 'N' Pray monsters, and Darkus has already ripped original Duke 3D monsters. There are a few frames missing, as noted, but these can be worked around. Heck, if someone would be willing to tell me how, I'd be glad to implement Darkus' sprite rips as an independent EDuke32 mod myself.

As for the sounds, I've already done much of the work for the non-Plug 'N' Pray exclusive sounds in my PSX Slightly Higher Quality Sound Pack. I only need to uncomment a few lines in the def files and re-export some sounds at a different sample rate to make it truly authentic to the PSX port.

This post has been edited by RinyRed: 04 February 2014 - 11:08 AM

View PostRinyRed, on 04 February 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

Is there something wrong with the sprite rips from Darkus? It looks like you've already completed implementing the new Plug 'N' Pray monsters, and Darkus has already ripped original Duke 3D monsters. There are a few frames missing, as noted, but these can be worked around. Heck, if someone would be willing to tell me how, I'd be glad to implement Darkus' sprite rips as an independent EDuke32 mod myself.

As for the sounds, I've already done much of the work for the non-Plug 'N' Pray exclusive sounds in my PSX Slightly Higher Quality Sound Pack. I only need to uncomment a few lines in the def files and re-export some sounds at a different sample rate to make it truly authentic to the PSX port.

Fox has not only added the new monsters but also the new artwork and sounds that were on the PSX version. The new levels, new artwork, new monsters and new sounds have all been ripped and converted to the PC for the mod. What Fox means is that it's a lot of work to take the PSX version of the original artwork that came with the original 3 episodes and have them added to the mod. I agree with Fox, not only is it too much work but it's pointless because theres really no difference between the PSX and PC original artwork. What Fox is doing is using the new stuff from the PSX in conjunction with the original PC stuff.

User is offline   Fox 

I have used Darkus rips, and added most of episode 4 content that was misssing. However, I am not sure about what's new or not among the rest of the art, so my plan was not adding the old monsters for now for the sake of consistency...

I am only going to include all the sounds if I can get the true sampling rate from the PMPs, which Nukey is working at.

This post has been edited by Fox: 04 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

User is offline   Nukey 

View PostFox, on 04 February 2014 - 12:29 PM, said:

I am only going to include all the sounds if I can get the true sampling rate from the PMPs, which Nukey is working at.

I thought I did that already

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostK100, on 04 February 2014 - 08:05 AM, said:

Plus, the ps1 sprites are all inferior to the pc version.

View PostUrukiora, on 04 February 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

...theres really no difference between the PSX and PC original artwork.

Neither of you know what the fuck you're talking about.

User is offline   K100 

It's just my opinion. I have played the PS1 version before the PC version and I directly saw the difference in quality. (And it was in the 90s, with the Dos version)

I have replayed the PS1 version one year ago and it's still my opinion.

For me, the ps1 version is ugly.

This post has been edited by K100: 04 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

View PostELFDICK, on 04 February 2014 - 03:34 PM, said:

Neither of you know what the fuck you're talking about.

I know both games like the back of my hand, so of course I should know exactly what I'm talking about. If you've also played both versions then you should have noticed the differences as well.

This post has been edited by Urukiora: 04 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

The game itself is ugly due to things like pixel-doubling, but the sprites are really good and are pretty close to true-colour rips of the models.

This post has been edited by ELFDICK: 04 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

User is offline   K100 

Maybe, but I still think the PC sprites are better, and I don't see the point of extracting all the sprites from the PS1 version for now. As I understand, it's difficult and not really necessary... For me, the priority for this mod should be all the sprites that are only on PS1. (New monsters, new decors...)

Maybe add the rest later with a patch if someone want to do it. Like this, everyone will be happy.

But hey, it's not my mod, Fox can do what he want. It's just my opinion. :(

User is offline   Fox 

So I have beaten the Plug and Pray episode on Damn I'm Good. It's tough, but possible.

Posted Image

User is offline   Lunick 

I get excited every time I look at this thread :blink:

User is offline   NNC 

I hope we can play it soon (read: in a few weeks time).

Nice!

I'm hoping to play this very soon. :blink:

View PostFox, on 14 February 2014 - 04:19 AM, said:

So I have beaten the Plug and Pray episode on Damn I'm Good. It's tough, but possible.

Posted Image

i'm looking forward to the TM mod. and i look forward to playing that episode

User is offline   Fox 

Phew, the episode at least it's kinda of ready to play. But I was very disappointed in finding out that PSound couldn't rip all sounds, which is a bonerkill. I am trying to find another way...

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

No promises, but in a week I might be able to take a chainsaw to the PMPs based on what Nukey has written up and see if we can dig out some sounds and art. That would only be after I finish a full menu rewrite though.

User is offline   NNC 

So, only the custom sounds kept this away from release so far?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostHendricks266, on 14 March 2014 - 06:55 PM, said:

No promises, but in a week I might be able to take a chainsaw to the PMPs based on what Nukey has written up and see if we can dig out some sounds and art. That would only be after I finish a full menu rewrite though.

You need a Vyvanse prescription.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostJimmy, on 14 March 2014 - 10:16 PM, said:

You need a Vyvanse prescription.

<TerminX>	jesus christ Hendricks266
<Cage_>	what happened?
<TerminX>	I'm looking at the commit history and wondering if someone slipped him some crack

Share this topic:

• 29 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options