Duke4.net Forums: Terminal Velocity - Duke4.net Forums

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Terminal Velocity  "Anyone played this game? NOT the movie starring Charlie Sheen."

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

More progress:
Posted Image

• Auramancer

Alpha Blending is finally in!

Posted Image

User is offline   Juris3D 

View PostStrikerMan780, on 25 July 2015 - 12:26 AM, said:

Alpha Blending is finally in!

Awesome! :) It is shaping up pretty good, I guess?

• Auramancer

Yeah, so far. Still having trouble getting the sky to render correctly, but the rest is pretty much done.

Also, managed to get my hands on this:
Posted Image

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 25 July 2015 - 10:15 AM

He, he, nice. But, since you love "Hellbender" a lot, you probably master there already :)
But, real paper books and manuals are really cool. I still have all that stuff from good old boxed-distributed games ("TV" too). Funny story, I have german friend who recently got job at "Yager" company, they are making "Dreadnought" game right now. I sent him pic with me holding "Yager" game box that I have - he was surprised, didn't know boxed version even existed :D

• Auramancer

Thankfully it has some useful information for further in development too. (Such as undocumented key binds, lore-accurate names for all of the ships in the game, etc.)

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 25 July 2015 - 01:13 PM

User is offline   MrBlackCat 

Reading this thread is "inspiring" to say the least... your progress is like that of a machine StrikerMan780.

Amazing work pace sir.

Good Luck...

MrBlackCat

• Auramancer

I have a fuckton of passion for these games, so there's a big part of why I'm making so much progress.

(Also, while it may not be too healthy, some 20+ hour streaks of non-stop programming.)

I have big plans for this port.

The feature list of what I've done so far:

* Support for up to 1920x1200 res
* 44100khz Sound vs. 11025khz.
* Fixed Transparency effects.
* Fixed some bugs/crashes
* Drastically increased the max number of active entities
* OpenGL rendering (70% complete)
* Ported deltatime/ticker to SDL2. (Cross-platform compatible)
* Ported windowing and input to SDL2. (40% complete).
* Much improved homing missile logic. (Ported from Hellbender)
* Objective indicators (Ported from Hellbender)

Plans:
* XInput support via SDL2, with Force Feedback.
* Dynamic Lighting (Going to port from Hellbender, but with color, not just white light.)
* 32-player Online Play (Deathmatch only at first. CTF and Base Defense are there, but the code is incomplete.)
* CEGUI-based user interface.
* Support for Hellbender's features in TV / Fury3 levels, such as weather, scrolling skies, multiple terrain layers, etc.
* SPARK particle system.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 25 July 2015 - 01:25 PM

Posted Image
Alright it looks like i am done with the cockpit. Now i'll put it into the game and then start working on terrain holes system, then inventory system, then i'll bring enemies into the play, then objective system and then the demo will be complete.

View PostSmoke Fumus, on 25 July 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

Alright it looks like i am done with the cockpit.

Well this cockpit sure seems to obstructive, almost half of screen view gone. But I remember you said it may be only visible like this at startup. Still, nice progress! I guess when you have it in game, it might be changed, "modded" too.

StrikerMan, I am wondering, since you are in contact with "TV" lead programmer Mark Randel, and he gave, I suppose, source access to source code, is he watching progress here? What is his reaction to all your activity, and "TVHD" making?

P.S.: I would personally shake hand with this man, say a Big Thankyou :)

This post has been edited by Juris3D: 26 July 2015 - 12:30 AM

And here's a dynamic preview of new cockpit https://youtu.be/mWa1sosGfEU
Here are few static screenshots in case you refuse to use youtube for some reason
Minimal Throttle
Posted Image
Maximum throttle with afterburner
Posted Image

View PostSmoke Fumus, on 26 July 2015 - 12:41 AM, said:

And here's a dynamic preview of new cockpit ...

Now I see and understand how this cockpit looks and works in-game. I take my doubts back! :) It is great! Looks of it, dynamics how it "shakes", lightning - I really like it already :D
Cockpit design - seems inspired from old "Descent" 2D cockpit overlay? :D
About videos on Youtube: maybe you should put in clip descriptions those tag words, or key words, what were they called. Like, "Terminal Velocity HD", "Terminal Velocity remake", "Fury3 remake HD", etc. I believe there are more people like me, who search such phrases several times a year :D. Let them know.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostSmoke Fumus, on 26 July 2015 - 12:41 AM, said:

And here's a dynamic preview of new cockpit https://youtu.be/mWa1sosGfEU

I noticed in that video that the perspective doesn't seem to change when switching between chase view to cockpit view. For example, here the craft model is replaced with the HUD overlay, without any change of the player's POV (it would be expected to zoom forward to match the position of the craft in chase view mode). Is that because cockpit functionality is still under development?

BTW, what's the music playing in that video? Is it from the original game?

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 26 July 2015 - 06:03 AM

View PostMrFlibble, on 26 July 2015 - 06:01 AM, said:

I noticed in that video that the perspective doesn't seem to change when switching between chase view to cockpit view. For example, here the craft model is replaced with the HUD overlay, without any change of the player's POV (it would be expected to zoom forward to match the position of the craft in chase view mode). Is that because cockpit functionality is still under development?

BTW, what's the music playing in that video? Is it from the original game?

Actually perspective does change (chase cam point is few units behind, while internal cam point is inside of the nose), but because terrain is so distant it is barely noticeable.
Music is from fury3 - it's last levels theme planet Fury.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostSmoke Fumus, on 26 July 2015 - 07:24 AM, said:

Actually perspective does change (chase cam point is few units behind, while internal cam point is inside of the nose), but because terrain is so distant it is barely noticeable.

I actually suspected that but it's really hard to notice. Maybe add a brief zooming motion in and out of the hull/cockpit? This is how the chase view switch is done in many games.

View PostMrFlibble, on 26 July 2015 - 07:55 AM, said:

I actually suspected that but it's really hard to notice. Maybe add a brief zooming motion in and out of the hull/cockpit? This is how the chase view switch is done in many games.

Yea, sure, i'll include it into next rollout.

Please question to Smoke Fumus: is that "Adamant" project on your Youtube channel some separate ongoing project? Or just ideas and programming training that is now used for "TVHD" ?

Another slightly off-topic question: there was a project "reaper", our style game. Super old stuff is here:
http://reaper3d.sour....net/index.html
http://sourceforge.n...jects/reaper3d/
I wonder maybe it turned out to something, maybe project renamed, some people used it maybe into other projects? Just curious. I have bookmarked it for ages.

This post has been edited by Juris3D: 27 July 2015 - 02:50 AM

View PostJuris3D, on 27 July 2015 - 02:48 AM, said:

Please question to Smoke Fumus: is that "Adamant" project on your Youtube channel some separate ongoing project? Or just ideas and programming training that is now used for "TVHD" ?

Another slightly off-topic question: there was a project "reaper", our style game. Super old stuff is here:
http://reaper3d.sour....net/index.html
http://sourceforge.n...jects/reaper3d/
I wonder maybe it turned out to something, maybe project renamed, some people used it maybe into other projects? Just curious. I have bookmarked it for ages.

Adamant is the target project which now temporary frozen until i have enough resources and skill to pull it, because, unlike TVHD, has a much more broader scope. It was started right after i abandoned Hellbender fan sequel, back in 2013, and i stopped development in may 2014 due my state at the time,and also lack of necessary skill. i do have a sketch of a lore/design document for it Adamant Lore

reaper3d at this point seems rather pointless. Tech is outdated, textures are worthless.

Thank you for the insight about "Adamant". Needless to say - i wish all the best for any project that focuses on sci-fi aerial shooting :)

First look at new tunnels
Posted Image
Posted Image

Those tunnels - I think "legacy feeling" is just about right :)

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Those are some massive screw heads in the tunnel entrance, the question goes why?

Yes, well, in original "TV" tunnels itself was kind of "why are those here"? :) If that was somewhere explained in manuals - well maybe I did not read everything. Or, maybe I did, but already forgot now.

View PostDaedolon, on 28 July 2015 - 03:14 AM, said:

Those are some massive screw heads in the tunnel entrance, the question goes why?

You do realize that you're questioning logic behind the game which has powerups just floating in the air, space fighter with magical energy shield which defies gravitational pull, and where you perform 3 lengthy missions on wrapping planets yet each mission has completely different layout on top of said planet.
Videogames != logic.

A first look on what's on the other side.
Posted Image

Comfy cave ... :)
I briefly played now "Hellbender", to refresh memories, maybe try to figure out why it felt for me "not-a-sequel" for "TV". One thing is maybe that gloomy rainy atmosphere at the start. But I am guessing main thing, main difference is that ship now can stand still. And with that, feeling is completely different. "TV" has that non-sop moment in it, perpetum movement. OF course it doesn't mean bad thing, even for my taste: I loved "Archimedean Dynasty", and there you can hover (well, float) as long as you want. So, I guess what i am trying to say is: clone of "TV"have to be with that non-stop movement. But then (I think, I hope) will come modifications, different versions of aerial shooting, technicaly based of what you guys are doing now - then I think it can be any flight dynamics: "Hellbender"-style, "Descent"-style (forward/stop/reverse).

P.S.: i think i am gonna replay "Hellbender" more now :D

View PostJuris3D, on 28 July 2015 - 11:41 AM, said:

Comfy cave ... :)
I briefly played now "Hellbender", to refresh memories, maybe try to figure out why it felt for me "not-a-sequel" for "TV". One thing is maybe that gloomy rainy atmosphere at the start. But I am guessing main thing, main difference is that ship now can stand still. And with that, feeling is completely different. "TV" has that non-sop moment in it, perpetum movement. OF course it doesn't mean bad thing, even for my taste: I loved "Archimedean Dynasty", and there you can hover (well, float) as long as you want. So, I guess what i am trying to say is: clone of "TV"have to be with that non-stop movement. But then (I think, I hope) will come modifications, different versions of aerial shooting, technicaly based of what you guys are doing now - then I think it can be any flight dynamics: "Hellbender"-style, "Descent"-style (forward/stop/reverse).

P.S.: i think i am gonna replay "Hellbender" more now :D

Gloomy atmosphere were at trial level Iowah 2. Overall atmpsohere in hellbender i just more moody, yes. but so does story, they tackled more serious tone with more S&D tactical approach to each mission rather than run and gun.

Besides - Hellbender is still technically Maximum Velocity - it is still very much direct sequel to Terminal Velocity, just renamed because they sold it to microsoft rather than to 3d realms.
And let's face it - keeping it entierly same is usually a bad idea - games should take routes and evolve in the sequels. if the sequel is 100% same by everything like in the original - then it's not a sequel - it's a map pack.

This post has been edited by Smoke Fumus: 28 July 2015 - 08:03 PM

• Auramancer

Hellbender support is on it's way. The downside is, it basically required me to completely nuke TV and Fury3 support until I get everything settled and ready to go. (The engine has drastic changes, so supporting both games is going to be challenging as all fuck. But don't worry, I WILL do it, and it'll have huge benefits in the end.)

Posted Image

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 29 July 2015 - 02:42 PM

View PostStrikerMan780, on 29 July 2015 - 02:39 PM, said:

... supporting both games is going to be challenging as all fuck. But don't worry, I WILL do it

Of course you will :) Well, if some decade or so is waited for "TV" remake, sure we wait a bit more. But, truth to be told, now this waiting is more anxious :D (is that a good english word? i mean "impatient" :D )

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options