Duke4.net Forums: Terminal Velocity - Duke4.net Forums

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Terminal Velocity  "Anyone played this game? NOT the movie starring Charlie Sheen."

User is offline   Juris3D 

"BOMB" game is out.
Since it was attempt to clone "Crimson Skies" action and even story mood, I was following this indie project. I bought it early on Desura. Early game "betas" was so-so. I think it is using "Ogre" engine, if they didn't swap recently. Now I have to wait till evening (to get to my home PC) to try this kinda "final" version.
http://lamoustache-studio.fr/
P.S.: sorry about this news being a bit off-topic, but it is aerial shooting game, and also tribute to some old game, so I think it fits here :)

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  bomb1.jpg (117.72K)
    Number of downloads: 132
  • Attached File  bomb2.jpg (123.25K)
    Number of downloads: 125

This post has been edited by Juris3D: 30 July 2015 - 03:34 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Hellbender looks amazing in high-res.

I'm a bit confused though, are the Terminal Fury project and the TV HD project Smoke Fumus has been posting videos of the same thing or not?

View PostMrFlibble, on 30 July 2015 - 03:25 AM, said:

[I'm a bit confused though, are the [i]Terminal Fury[/i] project and the TV HD project Smoke Fumus has been posting videos of the same thing or not?

No, not the same. "TV HD" is remake in Unity3D engine. So, not one, but several things to be excited about :)

I'm a bit confused though, are the Terminal Fury project and the TV HD project Smoke Fumus has been posting videos of the same thing or not?

I am working on remake, striker's working on highly extended port

Here's a first version of 1st level remix. https://soundcloud.c...elocity-remix-1 still very underworked, needs much more work, but as a basic sequencing/"remaster" should do it.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Hellbender was a fantastic looking game for it's time, but was undercut by the fact that it could only run at 640x480, and on the crappy accelerator cards at the time of it's release. The software mode also had a terrible form of Mipmapping that murdered texture quality before they were far enough to not notice the difference.

It has shadowing (albeit primitive), dynamic lighting (no pre-baked lights in the game at all, but still looks as good as Quake 1 at times, sometimes better.), particles, weather, portal rendering, and support for textures up to 256x256. And that is natively, not part of my port.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 30 July 2015 - 03:15 PM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Remix sounds pretty cool. :)

Continuing about what, I think, put me off Hellbender, what I didn't like - now I think it was textures too. Compare screenshots in this thread. In TV you see snowy mountains, a bit grass, not bad represented for those low resolutions, artist did a good job to make acceptable, even good looking environment. Now look at Hellbender screenshot. Why so "speckled", what is that red/brown/green? red hot rocks with green grass? It all kinda burns eyes, so to speak. I understand current TV port has to keep things as it was, but I sure dream now that there can be Hellbender with nice ground textures, smoother environment appearance. I hope I manage to explain, my english might be clumsy :) (i am latvian)

View PostJuris3D, on 30 July 2015 - 10:03 PM, said:

Continuing about what, I think, put me off Hellbender, what I didn't like - now I think it was textures too. Compare screenshots in this thread. In TV you see snowy mountains, a bit grass, not bad represented for those low resolutions, artist did a good job to make acceptable, even good looking environment. Now look at Hellbender screenshot. Why so "speckled", what is that red/brown/green? red hot rocks with green grass? It all kinda burns eyes, so to speak. I understand current TV port has to keep things as it was, but I sure dream now that there can be Hellbender with nice ground textures, smoother environment appearance. I hope I manage to explain, my english might be clumsy :) (i am latvian)

Nope. Don't even. Original TV textures were quality of a shit. Grass looks like slime, snow looks like jizz, mountains rock looks like turds.

Hellbender increased quality of textures providing higher def. Besides - alien worlds should be alien, not just another earth-like/moon-like sci-fi.

Please remove your nostalgia glasses, they give you biased opinion which helps absolutely no-one.

• Auramancer

Morbos looks the way it does because it is a barren planet with Acid rain, which destroyed most vegetation. The rocks have eroded, showing the underlying limestone and other sheet rock, and the only thing left are the remains of whatever life was there before. (The game's manual describes this.)

Hellbender does have some very vivid looking levels with very well-defined textures in the later parts of the game. See Chimera, Kresh, Eyrie, and Snow City.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 31 July 2015 - 04:56 AM

Thanks for thoughts and information on Hellbender textures. So, I guess then my problem is just with a fact, that game starts with not-so-good looking planet and depressing aura :) They (developers) should have put some prettier level at the start. You know - first impression, falling in love by looks, etc.

• Auramancer

Posted Image
^ If you want to talk about a beautiful planet, that's one right there. It'll look better once I implement fog, which will hide the cutoff.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 31 July 2015 - 05:50 AM

View PostStrikerMan780, on 31 July 2015 - 05:49 AM, said:

^ If you want to talk about a beautiful planet, that's one right there.

Yeah. Like I said previously - I need, and I am going to replay Hellbender more. To shoot in pretty places :)

• Auramancer

If you do, make sure to install the FMV cinematics. They're done pretty well, and help engage the player in the story.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 31 July 2015 - 05:55 AM

• Auramancer

Posted Image

• Auramancer

I'm taking a small break. When I return, I shall have some nice stuff to show everyone.

Just wanted to say that your work is incredible, and you're the true carrier of TV's legacy.

Good luck with everything, StrikerMan!
Meanwhile, maybe SmokeFumus will "fill the gap", share eventually some good news from "TVHD" development :)

View PostJuris3D, on 01 August 2015 - 04:01 AM, said:

Good luck with everything, StrikerMan!
Meanwhile, maybe SmokeFumus will "fill the gap", share eventually some good news from "TVHD" development :)

I am working on it.

Speaking of which, I wonder - should I put my adamant AI (one which can trace player and return back to patrol route) into terminal velocity hd, or should i just throw in old dumb ai?
Problem is that - one the one hand sure i can just put in more sophisticated ai which will no doubt present a higher caliber challenge. But on the other hand - i have my doubts, as it might break old gameplay flow rendering remake a bit more different than it should've been.

My personal thoughts: for release that is aimed to be remake, there should be "old feeling", and that definitely includes well known behaviour of enemies from old "TV". But, continuing what my personal dreams are - I would really enjoy game with modes to choose. Sorry, I don't know, of course, how hard it is to implement (i am not a coder of anything), but I imagine menu where is "legacy" mode(s), where flight model / controls, AI, in-game rules are close or similar to original. And then I dream about options: different flight model(s) (airplane sims often has arcade / less arcade / simulation etc modes), more advanced AI option(s), and different anything, really, that can be different to choose from. This will make a game that will stay forever on HDD, lots of options to try. I would definetely add "instant action" mode. Granted, "Terminal Velocity" IS, basicaly, instant action all game. But maybe there can be some level randomizer, enemy contingent randomizer for "unpredictable" instant action. In past, I had 3rd party utilites for games "Janes WWII Fighters" and "IL2 Sturmovik" that allowed to construct simple ("instant action") missions easily - for me that was golden, and I thought: that should be in games itself.

• Auramancer

Before I go, I want to let everyone know that I finally implemented fog.

Posted Image

I am sure excited about latest screenshot with fog implemented. All new here in this thread gets me excited, as everybody already noticed by now about me :)
"Administrative" question - i can not give "pluses" to posts. Does that come automatically with time I spent on board, or amount of posts I made?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostJuris3D, on 02 August 2015 - 11:53 PM, said:

I am sure excited about latest screenshot with fog implemented. All new here in this thread gets me excited, as everybody already noticed by now about me :)
"Administrative" question - i can not give "pluses" to posts. Does that come automatically with time I spent on board, or amount of posts I made?

Yes, but you're only a couple of posts away from being "upgraded" as of this writing.

Right now i am working on weapon models. Here's a temp version of PAC charge. (still hole lines i need to fix)
Posted Image

• Auramancer

Sprites and Textures are no longer restricted to a limited palette. Every texture can have it's own separate palette file, and PNG support is on it's way.

Posted Image

Those lasers are using color shades not available in the original.

View PostSmoke Fumus, on 03 August 2015 - 02:45 PM, said:

Right now i am working on weapon models. Here's a temp version of PAC charge.

Great! Let the shooting begin! :)

View PostStrikerMan780, on 03 August 2015 - 03:03 PM, said:

Sprites and Textures are no longer restricted to a limited palette. Every texture can have it's own separate palette file, and PNG support is on it's way.

Even if it seems subtle for me right now (but that is just because of my ignorance), I guess thats great news for game's prettyness. And maybe for modding, retexturing, i imagine?

SrikerMan780. How are you? Are you still healing from all the drama you're going through? Please don't delete the codes and can the TV source port. I really want the project to see the light of day. Don't let the Max Payne drama get to you. Keep your head up high and push forward bud! :)

• Auramancer

I'm pushing through it. I've been known to be pretty resilient despite the BS.

Got something gorgeous to show everyone.

Posted Image

Snow city, after the palette color limit was lifted. BTW, objects are unaffected by fog currently due to a broken depth buffer for models. I'll be fixing it.

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 04 August 2015 - 11:16 AM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

Absolutely amazing.

StrikerMan and SmokeFumus - you both make my days with all that progress! :) Thanks for all your work and time spent on it.

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options