• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D Voxel Pack

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Why not use that command line tool that converts polygons to voxels?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMicky C, on 04 February 2021 - 08:49 PM, said:

Why not use that command line tool that converts polygons to voxels?

Look, I just slapped a shitty texture onto an old cube model as a placeholder, I was hoping for a voxel to look a bit better than that and I thought the experts might be able to come up with something. Dzierzan cranks out better voxels in his sleep than anything the command line tool would make.

EDIT: I will do that as a last resort, though. :lol:

User is offline   0815Jack 

No new voxels since about two weeks... I'm concerned ;)

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

One would guess making voxels for Ion Fury, Dark Forces and Duke3D at the same time (those are the ones I know of at least) is a lot to have on anyone's plate.

As far as Borion is concerned, he is taking a creative break. Can't blame him for that. It's not like I expected this output level to be maintained indefinitely.

User is offline   Dzierzan 

View Post0815Jack, on 18 February 2021 - 06:18 AM, said:

No new voxels since about two weeks... I'm concerned ;)

Fine! Here's a lousy WT voxel:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 20 February 2021 - 02:53 PM

User is offline   0815Jack 

View PostDzierzan, on 20 February 2021 - 02:53 PM, said:

Fine! Here's a lousy WT voxel:

thx Dzierzan ... I didn't mean to push anyone... was just wondering :) and your new voxel isn't lousy ...

This post has been edited by 0815Jack: 21 February 2021 - 02:46 AM

• The Truth is in here

We already had months, if not years without anything (significant) happening. Compared to that, we are in paradise now.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 21 February 2021 - 03:48 AM

User is offline   jkas789 

Also Dzierzan deserves a break. He has been going on all cylinders since last year lol.

• The Truth is in here

Github updated with #5436.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

I just want to throw this out there, with all the shit that has gone on with Duke, the voxel artists are the purist of pure spirits and I love you.

Hello all, does this work on world tour? I'm trying to load it but apparently EDuke skips the voxel loading and it doesn't work.

I tested with the atomic edition and it works fine.

• The Truth is in here

If you are using the EDuke32 stopgap, there might be a conflict since both mods utilize the same def and con files.

View PostNightFright, on 24 February 2021 - 02:54 PM, said:

If you are using the EDuke32 stopgap, there might be a conflict since both mods utilize the same def and con files.

Yes I am, so that's the problem, but is there any way to play world tour without the stopgap? Because I saw some people using the voxels while playing world tour

User is offline   Lunick 

You just need to add

include duke3d_maphacks.def
include duke3d_voxels.def

to e32wt.def to get it to work?

View PostLunick, on 24 February 2021 - 03:41 PM, said:

You just need to add

include duke3d_maphacks.def
include duke3d_voxels.def

to e32wt.def to get it to work?

This is the answer. I use the Voxel pack with the eduke32 stopgap fingers crossed for it someday getting integrated into eduke32 properly

Great, it worked, thank you everybody

Just soap... I think:

Posted Image

Golden Gate Bridge voxel lamps. Those in the background will be done later.

Posted Image

Voxel bollard:

Posted Image

OH! So that thing is named bollard in english. Good to know.

User is offline   Mark 

We've always called it "the cement post in the parking lot" :P

Another World Tour voxel lamp

Posted Image

Posted Image

• The Truth is in here

Github updated.

With this you may actually get me to play again through the bridge level in World Tour, which I really do not like at all. If only to see the voxels in game.

User is online   Ninety-Six 

Is there anything that can be done at the coding level to detect if a sprite has been billboarded (such as when used as a decal to construct a fake movie poster or something) and then to use the 2D image instead? Otherwise having voxels on can visually break maps that use those for detailing.

• The Truth is in here

Would be good, but then you wouldn't need maphacks for that. Right now, AFAIK you need to know which sprites are used as decals and then write exceptions for them.

View PostNightFright, on 03 March 2021 - 10:20 PM, said:

Would be good, but then you wouldn't need maphacks for that. Right now, AFAIK you need to know which sprites are used as decals and then write exceptions for them.

Well that's why I was asking if it was possible to detect if the sprite was being rendered flat before applying the voxel to it. I'm talking more in the context of user maps, where probably every single sprite has been used as a decal at least once, including ammo pickups and the like.

Let's use the radio tower antennae thing as an example. In normal Duke 3D, when you see it on top of a building or whatever, the sprite will always turn to face you because it's supposed to "exist in the world." But then in a user map, say someone used a bunch of sprites to build a fake photograph on the wall. When it's used like this, the sprite is set to not always face you, because it's intended to be flat.

I'm asking if whatever code that must already exist to render that sprite as flat in the first place could be intercepted and read by the voxel code so it knows to not apply the model to it.

I might be explaining this poorly...

I know what you mean, basically not allowing wall sprites to be voxels in some cases, right? And honestly, I don't know the answer for that.

View PostDzierzan, on 04 March 2021 - 03:27 AM, said:

I know what you mean, basically not allowing wall sprites to be voxels in some cases, right? And honestly, I don't know the answer for that.

Yeah.

Oh well. Figured I'd ask. It's still an excellent pack all the same. Maybe this particular aspect is something for the eduke devs to tackle.

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options