Duke4.net Forums: "Paper cuts" -- minor bugs and annoyances - Duke4.net Forums

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Paper cuts" -- minor bugs and annoyances  "Post problems here that could be fixed with a few minutes of effort"

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostDavoX, on 04 June 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

That's why I proposed the use of the Y and X keys in 2d mode, it doesn't get any simpler and precise than that :lol:

i like this idea. more convenient than what i do. put the sprites in a child sector, copy the sector, then rotate the sector tiny increments until the desired angel is reached.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

OMG I also want the desired angel! you think that by doing all that I can reach it? :lol:

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

only if she has no morals

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

r3835 seems to miss one message instance:
PSX Sound Pack 1.0 [VOC].......................................................Error: file "highres/sprites/firstperson/2532_cliphand.png" does not exist

But I can't find it in defs.c.

The DEF parser miscounts the line numbers:
Errors in line #1 are reported as occurring at line #1.
But errors in line #(1+N) are reported at line #(1+N)-1.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I noticed a bug with the "Switch weapons on pick-up" option (which was added in Eduke32). By default, no sound is played when you pick-up a weapon. However if the option is Off, the weapon select sound will be played if it is the first time you get the weapon. That is obviously a left-over of the code that would switch to the new weapon on pick-up...

===//===//===

The Chaingun doesn't work properly if the weapon is holstered and will continue to reset the firing animation. I did some tests and it is related to the WEAPON_AUTOMATIC flag. Perhaps that's also behind that bug which in some cases the player won't change weapon when empty if it is the Chaingun?

This post has been edited by Fox: 09 June 2013 - 12:45 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Any idea why my paradise worlds stopped showing it's textures?

Posted Image

I used dummy tiles and those aren't showing up (I've used several builds from different years, starting from 2006 to 2013)

the definitions are like this:

dummytile 3808 64 64
texture 3808 { pal 0 { file "paradise/textures/instructions1.jpg" } }

the problem is that it seems to be picking up the texture but it just shows a flat color of it, if the texture is orange , it will show the orange flat color instead.

Bear in mind that the textures that show up don't have an *.art counterpart, which means I didn't make a smaller version of them.

Tried deleting the cache but no dice.

EDIT: Well using latest snapshot doesn't even show the flat colors, just HOM effect.

EDIT2: LOL jonof's build actually shows the textures :S

This post has been edited by DavoX: 10 June 2013 - 05:27 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View PostDavoX, on 10 June 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

Posted Image

I used dummy tiles and those aren't showing up (I've used several builds from different years, starting from 2006 to 2013)

the definitions are like this:

dummytile 3808 64 64
texture 3808 { pal 0 { file "paradise/textures/instructions1.jpg" } }

the problem is that it seems to be picking up the texture but it just shows a flat color of it, if the texture is orange , it will show the orange flat color instead.

Bear in mind that the textures that show up don't have an *.art counterpart, which means I didn't make a smaller version of them.

Tried deleting the cache but no dice.

EDIT: Well using latest snapshot doesn't even show the flat colors, just HOM effect.

EDIT2: LOL jonof's build actually shows the textures :S

Don't bug reports go here?
Also they usually require this information right here to get fixed.

User is offline   Mark 

I was able to reproduce your problem by removing the tile014.art file from the Eduke main folder. It seems that even if you define in new textures, for some reason the .art file still needs to be present. Did you accidently remove your's?

This post has been edited by Mark.: 10 June 2013 - 07:32 PM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Well if I use the old build from JOnof it picks up the *.art files just fine, but eduke32 doesn't :/

User is offline   Fox 

I was able to isolate the bug which the Chaingun not switch to another weapon when it runs out of ammo. Basically the bug occur if you stop pressing the fire button the moment your ammo reach zero. To test it, just make it so that you have only 1 shot left with the Chaingun, and quickly press the fire button.

===//===//===

A small bug, it seems that the volume of music defined with .def music (aka "highres music") are affected by the Sound Volume option (alogn with Music Volume).

This post has been edited by Fox: 15 June 2013 - 02:28 AM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostDavoX, on 10 June 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

Link? All I was able to find with some minutes of googling were posts on AMC and dukerepository.com about how the project is dead, but no files.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I'm sure it has to do with that crappy duplicate cleaner I used a couple months ago... probably deleted some important *.art file or something. Yes I'm gonna kill myself now :lol:

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFox, on 14 June 2013 - 10:40 PM, said:

A small bug, it seems that the volume of music defined with .def music (aka "highres music") are affected by the Sound Volume option (alogn with Music Volume).

This is due to the nature of .ogg and .flac music, not the def input. The same thing will happen if you define these types from CON.

User is offline   Fox 

So Eduke32 sound / music settings are based on the file extension? Eewww!!

This post has been edited by Fox: 15 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

No, it's based on whether the music being played is a MIDI or not. That's pretty different from being "based on the file extension." Non-MIDI music has to play through the regular sound system just like any other sound.

User is offline   Fox 

Still gross. It should be based whenever it was defined with definesound or music commands.

• Weaponized Autism

Ogg and FLAC files get played through the ASS (Apogee Sound System) like sounds. There would need to be a separate path for music to be buffered separately so that volume and reverb effects don't touch music.

User is offline   Diaz 

View PostHendricks266, on 15 June 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

Ogg and FLAC files get played through the ASS

:lol:

User is offline   Fox 

I noticed that the Expander is selected after all other weapons if the player runs out of ammo, and that's because it has no priority setting. The problem is that I can't even set it on my own in the cfg because the WeaponChoice# settings use the keyboard number instead of the weapon ID.

This post has been edited by Fox: 22 June 2013 - 11:52 PM

• Weaponized Autism

Do you think it should be grandfathered in with "7"?

EVENT_CHANGEWEAPON exists if you need to block the autoswitch.

User is offline   Fox 

I think it should have a number of it's own.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostDiaz, on 15 June 2013 - 07:05 PM, said:

View PostHendricks266, on 15 June 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

Ogg and FLAC files get played through the ASS

:)

This post has been edited by StrikerMan780: 08 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

User is offline   Fox 

Is it possible to add MAX_WEAPONS as a read-only gamevar? On theory it should always equal 12, but I had like to use the proper value used in the source code.

Is it possible to add a WEAPONx_var for the sprite spawned by the tossweapon command, plus a WEAPONx_FLAGS bitfield for the explosion?

What would be necessary to add entirely new weapons? You can mimic it by changing the values for WEAPONx_var, but there are things you can't do. For example define a priority flag for a "custom" weapon...

This post has been edited by Fox: 08 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

It would take a little bit of restructuring to handle additional weapon slots, but not much. There are a few areas where the weapon numbers are packed into only a few bits and those would have to be reworked...

Your ideas regarding the pickup sprite spawned by tossweapon and an extra weapon flag bit to control the explosion at death are good ones. Perhaps it should be two additional values, one for the weapon pickup itself (which would also be used to control the opponent weapon display in multiplayer) and one for the ammo (which would be used to control the modern HUD's ammo icon).

• Weaponized Autism

View PostTerminX, on 09 July 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

Perhaps it should be two additional values, one for the weapon pickup itself (which would also be used to control the opponent weapon display in multiplayer) and one for the ammo (which would be used to control the modern HUD's ammo icon).

It would have to be three, because the pickup displayed in HUD icon mode and over the player in MP isn't always the pickup dropped by tossweapon. (see: GROWSPRITEICON)

I seem to recall having some success manipulating the display in EVENT_ANIMATESPRITES, but I am not certain. Also, the HUD icon display is handled as part of the code that gets disabled and replicated when EVENT_DISPLAYWEAPON is -1 in weapons.con.sample.

If we still had the old weapon-based kill quotes, we would need a var for that too.

User is offline   Fox 

I would also like to have a var for the default priority order (which a cfg generated by the exe would inherit the starting config from).

View PostTerminX, on 09 July 2013 - 09:48 AM, said:

Your ideas regarding the pickup sprite spawned by tossweapon and an extra weapon flag bit to control the explosion at death are good ones. Perhaps it should be two additional values, one for the weapon pickup itself (which would also be used to control the opponent weapon display in multiplayer) and one for the ammo (which would be used to control the modern HUD's ammo icon).

Although the icon displayed on top of the weapon would be a good idea, I think the HUD could be ignored. The default status bar is much more complicated since it lists the ammo for all weapons and would require rewriting, so you should not even bother with that custom HUD. How to select these weapons should also be rewriten.

Here are some other WEAPONx_flags I am thinking of that may be necessary, all of them regarding the Mighty Boot behavior:
- Always have weapon.
- Don't use ammo.
- Force switch to another weapon when ammo is picked up.
- Affect the player moving speed when firing.
- Can't use Mighty Boot Engaged when firing.

This post has been edited by Fox: 09 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostFox, on 08 July 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

Is it possible to add MAX_WEAPONS as a read-only gamevar? On theory it should always equal 12, but I had like to use the proper value used in the source code.

That's a good idea. Revision 3944 adds three predefined labels to CON: MAX_WEAPONS as per your request, MAXSTATUS and MAXSPRITES.

It is strongly encouraged to use symbolic names instead of "magic" literal numbers whereever possible. In the present case, MAX_WEAPONS could simply have been defined in the CON code by hand. The benefits:
  • It makes the code much more readable, conveying intent (e.g. "over the indices of which objects does this loop iterate") to the reader.
  • Some of the values may be only constant for a given build. For example, on Wii, the engine is built with the V7 map limits due to memory limitations. There, MAXSPRITES is the sprite limit of the V7 engine, 4096. CON code that uses the magic number 16384 in its place will break when executed on the Wii.
  • It is aesthetically more appealing in that it is a reduction of redundancy. For example, should MAX_WEAPONS be bumped to, say, 14 in the future, all that would be needed (assuming pre-3944) is to change the one define directive instead of every instance of the literal number.
  • In CON, redefinitions of labels are ignored. LunaCON warns you whenever it encounters a define attempting to give an already defined name a different value. Thus, a bump of some "constant" on our side such would not go unnoticed.

Is it possible to add a WEAPONx_var for the sprite spawned by the tossweapon command, plus a WEAPONx_FLAGS bitfield for the explosion?

The case with tossweapon is that it can be reasonably reimplemented in the scripting language. Here's an example in pseudo-Lunatic code ("pseudo" because it has been simplified for demonstration purposes and does not represent code that can be run as-is):
function tossweapon(pli)  -- pli: player index
    local ps = player[pli]
    local cw = ps.weapon[ps.curr_weapon].workslike

if (not (cw >= 0 and cw < MAX_WEAPONS)) then
        return
    end

if (krandand(1) ~= 0) then  -- check the lowest bit of a pseudo-random number from krand()
        spawn(C.WeaponPickupSprites[cw], ps.i)  -- access array on the C side
    elseif (cw==RPG_WEAPON or cw==HANDBOMB_WEAPON) then
        spawn(EXPLOSION2, ps.i)
    end
end

One issue here is that WeaponPickupSprites[] resides on the C side for which there is no direct access from scripting. However, the array effectively has constant elements: they are only ever updated to account for dynamic tile remapping. Thus, you could simply place a gamearray (in CON) or a table with the elements initialized (in Lunatic) in its place -- the tile values are already the "dynamic" ones on the scripting side.

So you could implement tossweapon as e.g. CON "state tossweap". Of course, it would not magically change the tossweapon's issued from GAME.CON, you'd still need to change every instance of tossweapon with a "state tossweap" invocation there. My point is that scripting systems ought to provide reliable primitives on which the user can build instead of dozens of special cases.

What would be necessary to add entirely new weapons? You can mimic it by changing the values for WEAPONx_var, but there are things you can't do. For example define a priority flag for a "custom" weapon...

I assume you mean "add entirely new weapon functionality" here instead of merely "more weapon slots". It's complicated because the interaction with hard-coded weapon behavior is... not exactly what you'd call "specified". So the very first step should be some research into how precisely it "works", then one could talk about how to provide richer scripting functionality (hint: light-heartedly exposing members to scripting is not a good way to design an interface; even if I'm not a proponent of the "everything has to be encapsulated in a function or method" school, at the very least good documentation should be provided whenever a member is directly accessible).

Edit: I don't specifically have the weapon-related documentation on the Wiki in mind. In case it's better than I made it sound, please forgive me for being in a rant mood :).

User is offline   Fox 

At principle I don't think it would be that complicated. The real issue would be with the hard-coded behavior of the Mighty Boot, and especially the Pipebomb Detonator.

What I have in mind is a command that would create a new weapon of a specified ID, and a new set of WEAPONx gamevars.

This post has been edited by Fox: 14 July 2013 - 10:31 AM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Postfgsfds, on 02 June 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

The latest builds show the same screenshot for every save game entry.

View PostLeoD, on 04 June 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

To be exact, the first you scroll to if slot 0 is empty.
Introduced in r3741.

User is offline   Fox 

I noticed a bug with MIKE. If the hi-tag equals -1, it will ignore the enda and load state troop_body_jibs.

actor MIKE
  ifp pfacing
    ifpdistl 1280
      ifhitspace
        mikesnd
enda

state troop_body_jibs
  ifrnd 64
    guts HEADJIB1 1
  ifrnd 64
    guts LEGJIB1 2
  ifrnd 64
    guts ARMJIB1 1
  ifrnd 48
    spawn BLOODPOOL
ends

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options