Duke4.net Forums: "Paper cuts" -- minor bugs and annoyances - Duke4.net Forums

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Paper cuts" -- minor bugs and annoyances  "Post problems here that could be fixed with a few minutes of effort"

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostFox, on 16 July 2013 - 09:10 AM, said:

I noticed a bug with MIKE. If the hi-tag equals -1, it will ignore the enda and load state troop_body_jibs.

actor MIKE
  ifp pfacing
    ifpdistl 1280
      ifhitspace
        mikesnd
enda

state troop_body_jibs
  ifrnd 64
    guts HEADJIB1 1
  ifrnd 64
    guts LEGJIB1 2
  ifrnd 64
    guts ARMJIB1 1
  ifrnd 48
    spawn BLOODPOOL
ends

Thanks, that's a silly one. It's literally a one line mistake where there's an "insptr++" in the error case where there needs to be nothing.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

View PostHelixhorned, on 14 July 2013 - 03:59 AM, said:

That's a good idea. Revision 3944 adds three predefined labels to CON: MAX_WEAPONS as per your request, MAXSTATUS and MAXSPRITES.

Since we are on it, is it possible to add a gamevar that stores the current definegametype flags? For example, if you are coding a new HUD, it makes a lot more sense to check if bitfield 8 (scoresheet in status bar) is enabled instead of manually checking the gametype (COOP).

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Is there a reason why the waterdrip distance from spawn to floor is fixated at map startup? I tried making a movable roof and even when there's no roof the waterdrip still only travels to the point of where the roof was before. Stopping at midair.

User is offline   Fox 

If I had to guess a moving sector does not update the sectnum of a waterdrip sprite.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I wonder what would happen if the roof started open at startup and then get's instantly closed without the player being able to see it.... would the drips stop when a new sector appaears below them?

User is offline   Fox 

A lesser-knows cool feature in Eduke32 is that you can completely disable the loading screen by setting RETURN to -1 during EVENT_GETLOADTILE. By doing this the game will just freeze what was on the screen before.

However there is a glitch in the main menu when using this and the text disappear:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 21 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

User is offline   Gambini 

View PostDavoX, on 18 July 2013 - 04:13 PM, said:

I wonder what would happen if the roof started open at startup and then get's instantly closed without the player being able to see it.... would the drips stop when a new sector appaears below them?

No sprite (unless it´s coded to do so, like the stretched gib) will give a damn about the ceiling. Sprites move with the floor, doesn´t matter if they´re in mid air, or stuck to the ceiling, they´ll move with the floor.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 21 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

User is offline   Fox 

Regarding the accuracy hack for the Pistol when autoaim is disabled, shouldn't the Expander work in the same way?

• el fundador

Only if the expander is freakishly accurate in the original DOS version.

User is offline   Fox 

DOS version:

Posted Image

• el fundador

Then yeah, the same tweak should be made for the expander.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Yes, the expander is very accurate and a nail in the coffin in DM matches.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Commanders and Octabrains don't teleport , well anything that is airborne, has this always been the case even in 1.3d?

User is offline   Fox 

Is it possible add an event to control check_fta_sounds? Because it seems those sounds return an actor id of -1 in EVENT_SOUND. How it works would be very simply, RETURN equals the sound id, or -1 if no sound will be played.

This post has been edited by Fox: 04 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

User is offline   Fox 

3979:

Posted Image

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Crossair not centered?

User is offline   Fox 

At least there is someone smart enough to notice!!

• el fundador

What's up with that? The crosshair and sky are both fine here...

User is offline   Fox 

The crosshair was a joke. At least that's what the sky looks like now for me in Polymer.

This post has been edited by Fox: 05 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

Never knew Area 51 was an asteroid orbiting Earth. Go figure! Posted Image

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostFox, on 04 August 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

3979:

Well, but it didn't render the right sky (tile 99, dark ocean below red sky) before r3975 either. In fact, it was the first tile of BIGORBIT1 for all 8 sides whereas it's now the correct multi-tile sequence. I have an idea how multiple parallaxed skies per map can be implemented in Polymer, but first I'll get Plagman's opinion on that.

User is offline   Fox 

I think it's relatively simply how it should work. The sky should not be displayed on the background unless there is a sector with a paralaxed ceiling / floor visible. On theory it would only be limited to display multiple skies at the same time, but at least such a thing doesn't exist in any of the official levels.

GZDoom has a true 3D engine, and that's more or less how it handles things. Here is a video:

Posted Image

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

The way Polymer is going to handle skies going forward is the proper way, where the parallaxed ceilings/floors are actually drawn instead of cutouts to a pre-rendered skybox/cylinder. For parallaxed skies the shader that's used to draw them will do the unrolling and display it like Classic mode, and for skyboxes it's just going to be sampling from a cubemap. That stuff is fairly obvious and was never a mystery (as with most things), it's just a matter of writing the code.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostPlagman, on 06 August 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

and for skyboxes it's just going to be sampling from a cubemap

How feasible would other skybox shapes be, namely spheres and cylinders?

User is offline   Fox 

It's possible, but would use more polygons.

• el fundador

View PostFox, on 06 August 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

It's possible, but would use more polygons.

Breaking news: shapes with more sides and/or more complex shapes use more polygons than simpler geometry. Film at 11!

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

My question is not about feasibility as measured by polygons. I'm not severe enough a troll (yet) to suggest that Polymer would suffer by swapping a cube for a sphere as a skybox.

It's more about the question of how other sky shapes could be specified from Polymer.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostTerminX, on 06 August 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

Breaking news: shapes with more sides and/or more complex shapes use more polygons than simpler geometry. Film at 11!

The breaking news is that Polymer runs at 10 fps with a few light sources, so I don't trust it can handle a geosphere with enough polygons to make it look realistic (like 50,000). :P

This post has been edited by Fox: 06 August 2013 - 07:24 PM

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

It's not geometry that Polymer is inefficient at. It's sprites and lights.

User is offline   Fox 

Which is not something obvious.

Edit: I did some tests, and I had a massive drop in the fps while displaying so many polygons.

This post has been edited by Fox: 06 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options