• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke It Out In D.C. HRP + Music Pack  "Coming up: New music pack by Jimmy!"

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMicky C, on 23 November 2011 - 12:50 AM, said:

Looks like I'll have to install firefox then.

Nope.

https://code.google.com/p/xchat-wdk/

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Don't worry, Micky C, your maphacks have already been uploaded to the SVN by me. :D

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Level 7 lights done.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 23 November 2011 - 07:48 PM

User is offline   Spiker 

Finally some progress on this! Have you fixed the problem with level 4? The lights were good but if I remember correctly they don't show up unless they are copied to a "fresh" version of the map. I have been pretty busy recently with a lot of stuff and it doesn't seen to end at least untill Christmass.

• Honored Donor

I think I fixed it, but I'm not 100% sure. If I haven't, I'll finish the others then come back to the ones that need a touch up.

Edit: while I'm posting, I does anyone know what I stick in my bat file to run the DC HRP in mapster? I've got the GRP working but the HRP zip won't budge.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 24 November 2011 - 12:37 AM

• The Truth is in here

dukedc7.mhk added to SVN. :D
At home, I have a working def file with which you can use HRP files from Duke3D together with DukeDC, including groupfiles. When I am back from work tonight, I will post it here. ^^

*EDIT*
OK, here's how:
Create a text file in your Mapster32 dir, rename it to "duke3d.def" and add the following lines:

loadgrp E:/EDuke32/duke3d.grp
loadgrp E:/EDuke32/games/dukedc.grp

loadgrp E:/EDuke32/autoload/polymer_hrp.zip
include duke3d_hrp.def
loadgrp E:/EDuke32/autoload/polymer_mhk.zip

loadgrp E:/EDuke32/games/dukedc_hrp.zip
include dukedc_hrp.def

Of course, you will have to replace the directories for the files with the actual ones on your hard drive. These are most likely completely different. :)

Generally speaking, this loading sequence must be obeyed:
1) loadgrp <Duke3D groupfile>
2) loadgrp <DukeDC groupfile>
3.1) loadgrp <Duke3D HRP>
3.2) include <Duke3D HRP def file>
4) loadgrp <Maphacks> (actually optional, but if you want to check them in Mapster32 too, you can add them here)
5.1) loadgrp <DukeDC HRP>
5.2) include <DukeDC HRP def file>

I hope this helps you! :)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 24 November 2011 - 11:51 AM

• Weaponized Autism

Mapster32 supports command-line arguments that do the same thing if you're interested.

(There is no need to load the duke3d.grp unless the Mapster32 executable is in a different place, which seems pointless.)

Note that there is no space between one-letter switches and their files, and there is space between multiple-character switches and their targets.

mapster32.exe -g<DukeDC groupfile> -j<Polymer HRP SVN> -g<Duke3D HRP> -mh <Duke3D HRP def file> -g<Maphacks> -j<DCHRP SVN> -g<DukeDC HRP> -mh <DukeDC HRP def file>

• Honored Donor

I went with some of Hendrick's command line arguments which did the trick. Although I'm not sure what to put for the -g<maphacks>, and I've never seen the -mh before, and it's not in the wiki, what does it do?

• Weaponized Autism

-mh is a mutator for defs. Instead of -h, which will load only that def file as a root, -mh will load a def file additively, as if an "include" was added to the bottom of the last def file.

• Honored Donor

Oh, ok.

Here are the lights for level 8, just two more to go now. Note that I haven't actually tested any of the maphacks I've made recently (although technically there isn't any reason why they shouldn't work.)

I'm guessing the outside performance will be pretty bad, but it should get better once the player is inside the sub.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edit, the final level, level 9, is now lit. You can play through the entire episode, as all the main levels now have lights. Of course, I still have to do the secret level. These lights have been tested.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 24 November 2011 - 09:41 PM

• The Truth is in here

Great work! Once all levels are lit, I guess it's time for a new release since this is some "feature complete" thing we have been waiting for. :D

• Honored Donor

Here are the lights for the secret level. Technically all the lights are done, but it still seems like some of the lights are 'missing' in Smithsonian Terror. Their effects show on models, but not level geometry, which is normally an indication of the lights being outside of the sector that they're designated for. However, when I overlayed my map with the original, they matched up perfectly, so I don't know what to make of it. I would try copying the lights into the original again anyway just to be sure, but there's no easy way to do it without some of the lights needing their heights re-adjusted, which considering the size of the level and the amount of lights, would be a mountain of work which I'm not prepared to dive in to. Hopefully another solution will present itself.

Anyway NightFright, be sure to play through the entire episode before you make any new release just to be on the safe side.

This level features time travel to an ancient civilisation, so I made most of the sunlight nice and warm Serious Sam style.
Posted Image

Attached File(s)

• The Truth is in here

Added to SVN. I hope I will get to play all the levels before releasing it, but I am confident it works. :D

• Honored Donor

I tried printing the lights again for Smithsonian Terror, but the results are the same; 90% of the lights aren't working, which is a shame because it's a really, really good looking level. On the bright side (no pun intended) I'm getting anywhere between 50 and 350 frames per second Posted Image

• The Truth is in here

These issues probably have to do with the complexity of the map. It's one of the hardest levels I know, easy to get lost there due to its complicated architecture. I doubt that lighting will ever work properly there, unless it might get somehow fixed through EDuke32. Still, the efforts are appreciated. :)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 03 December 2011 - 02:30 PM

• Honored Donor

It wouldn't be the architecture. The copy I used to add the lights works fine. Not to mention projects like Duke Nukem Eternity and my uber lighting job of Project Zero also work. The latter is unplayable due to lag but the lights still show up.

I'm still trying to find a solution, so don't give up hope yet. The copy with the SE lights (DUKEDC4T.map) is attached if anyone's interested.

Edit: What's interesting is that I copied the sprites into the original map to reprint the lights, and now they don't work at all! It's as if none of the lights are even there. Yet everything's fine in mapster in both this test map and the original copy. This is becoming a very frustrating problem.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 03 December 2011 - 04:06 PM

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

So all the lights always work in mapster, but some don't show up in game? Are you using Duke Plus or the vanilla game?

• Honored Donor

The vanilla game. In the current maphack, a small amount of lights work normally in game, while the rest of them only cast light on models and the hud, not game geometry. However in mapster they cast light on everything as per usual. The symptoms are that of lights not being in their designated sectors, but that does not seem to be the case here.

User is offline   Spiker 

What happened here is that while puting lights into the map you have accidentally modified at least one of the sectors. And in this situation sector numbers in the whole map are changed (and so they do not correspond to the info in the maphack anymore). I guess that's the reason why Atomic version maphacks do not work with 1.3.

• Honored Donor

Ah, that I did not know. Let me have another go at fixing it. I don't know why the lights strictly need to be related to a sector anyway, it could solve a few problems if they weren't, i.e lights in the subway briefly disappearing when the subway passes.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

It's pretty important that they are, though. In some cases it can even give you some flexibility, for example when shining a light from void space. The E1L1 maphacks have some occurrences of that happening, IIRC.

• Honored Donor

Ok, it's finally working. A nightmare to light, and an even bigger nightmare to get working, this baby weighs in at almost 400 lights. I hope people enjoy it. The lights should now be complete for the entire Duke DC episode.

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Lunick 

Thanks for the great work Micky.

• Honored Donor

Did a megaly fast skim through most of the levels, and it looks like the maphack in the SVN for level 1 isn't the latest one. So I reprinted it, after doing some additional tweaking as well, and fixing some other issues. Spiker should now be happy with the outside, the lighting is a lot more subtle. The rest seemed ok as far as I can tell.

When you release the new version, we ought to make a news article about this. It's about time someone made an article about anything.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Micky C: 06 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

User is offline   Spiker 

I've just run through most of the levels and it really looked well. Levels 1 and 4 are now updated too. Good work with this! I hope to contribute something in the future as well.

• The Truth is in here

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to playtest this by myself, but if you folks say it looks OK, then I guess it's fine to release. I will do an SVN export and put it on the HRP website before Christmas for sure. Might also want to issue a "refresh release" of current Duke3D HRP while I am at it. :)

• The Truth is in here

DukeDC HRP v1.56 has been released. Thanks to Micky C for providing the required contents to actually make this possible. :)

• The Truth is in here

El bumpo. :)

I am working on a new release. Since we don't have new textures or models so far, I am focussing on improving the soundtrack. The MIDI files which had been converted to OGGs through a website service had poor quality in general. I am currently re-recording them by myself, using high quality soundfonts (Silverspring 1.5, Fluid R3). Also, the volume of the tracks will be better since there were several songs which were not loud enough, resulting in an inconsistent listening experience and forcing you to play with the music volume slider.

Additionally, I will adapt the maphacks to the new models in current HRP Update. This will require a full playthrough testing and take some time. Anyway, new stuff is coming up!

User is offline   Spiker 

Sooner or later I plan to get this pack complete, especially there is so little to add anyway.

User is offline   Lunick 

View PostTrooper Tom, on 17 March 2012 - 04:21 AM, said:

Sooner or later I plan to get this pack complete, especially there is so little to add anyway.

I thought this was Deeperthought for a minute before I realized -.-

Also yay!

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options