Duke4.net Forums: Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Roland SC-55 Music Packs  "Updates 'n stuff"

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Vocaroo makes samples sound dull. Sounds coming directly from the synth are crystal clear, of course. Maybe I'll reupload somewhere else later, e.g. on SoundCloud.

Personally I'd also prefer MIDI synth through a hardware synth. That's why I recently bought a Dreamblaster X3M since it's a modern synth that's developed and easy to connect. However, since it's not a classic device as the SC-55, old games will probably not sound as they did back in the 90s. You can set up a DB50XG externally, but it's a bit messy with some cables you normally would never need, and if you don't use MIDI playback really often, it's hardly worth it. An internal solution is more convenient, and some software synths come close enough to a hardware solution.

The SC-55 recordings are a fine compromise for people who don't want to bother with any of this, even though if it comes at the (negligible) cost of some disk space.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 26 June 2018 - 12:50 PM

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

View PostXxMiltenXx, on 26 June 2018 - 07:43 AM, said:

@MusicallyInspired About that VSTi plugin: If you do not want to buy the proper hardware then it's surely the closest match you can get and also easiest to set up, however, comparing them to the real devices you will notice differences, e.g. that it doesn't fully use the SC-55 sound map, even if selected it may use drum sets from the other models and also everything just sounds "harder", as if the attack portion is set wrongly and also some minor differences are notable with certain instruments as well.

I compared it to 2 things, the Roland SC-55 and the Roland SC-D70 (which uses the 8820 map by default) and the real hardware still sounds better compared to the VSTi plugin - considering the VSTi is essentially also emulated, it's fair enough I guess.. And you can get a proper SC-55 roughly for the same price, however setting it up might prove to be more difficult.

Good to know. I think it's a given that no virtual software emulation will ever sound 100% exactly the same as hardware. For one thing you don't get any analog signal noise like you do from 1/4"/RCA jacks in hardware. Similar to how recording digitally and recording to tape sounds very different. Everything digitally has a much purer, brighter, and slightly harsher sound. MUNT, the fanmade MT-32 emulator has done a fantastic job of emulating the MT-32 but it's not 100% exact either. But it is pretty well imperceptibly close. In fact, in composer circles people recommend recording with MUNT rather than a real MT-32 just do bypass the hardware's inherent noise/hiss. I know that the SC-55's original sampling rate is 32KHz. So the VSTi might very well be higher than that which will make it sound crisper and possibly more grainy if the samples are still locked to 32KHz. And if they're not they'll certainly sound different if the samples have been upped to 44.1KHz or even 48KHz. So it can be a taste thing most of the time. But using improper drum sets and whatnot is another issue altogether. I'm really curious to compare the two myself, though. If I ever have a spare $150 to spare for curiosities I'll pick it up.

Currently I'm perfectly happy with using my SC-55 (CM-500, actually) to record these music packs and not interested in anything but the classic sound. If I were to record higher quality music packs I'd go all out and use my full sound library, real guitars, etc. That's something I've always wanted to do for Duke, actually. I just never get around to these things and I tons of other projects (both started and hypothetical) on my "maybe someday" list.

Roland SC-55 Music Packs
It's Green (Duke3D BETA Track!) in FLAC, OGG, & MP3 with metadata loop tags
Duke3D, Doom, Descent, Hocus Pocus, and more...
Legacy of Grabbag Metal Medley

User is offline   Rimantas 

Guys, which soundfonts do you use for games/wads, that don't have music packs? And is there the one soundfont, which would play everything right? I have found that 8MBGMSFX plays everything right, but it's quality could be better (its size is just 7,2mb). Chorium has very weird guitars, GeneralUser GS and Merlin Vienna plays some instruments too silent, Arachno plays most instruments too loud, WeedsGM4 and FluidR3 are terrible on most tracks. Any recommendations up to 150mb size?

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Arachno always sounded good to me, even if filesize is a bit big for my taste. On PCs where I don't have a hardware synth, I settle with GeneralUser GS v1.44. 32MB is a good size for a soundfont, and imho it should be possible to get enough high-quality voices into a size like that for satisfying results. It may have its weaknesses, but choir and many other instruments sound great. Some Duke3D tracks like alienz.mid turn out to be a bit weak, but I can live with it. One of the latest TCs for Doom, REKKR, plays well with it.

Soundfonts remain a matter of taste, and I doubt there is any that's suited for all games. I have been trying dozens of soundfonts throughout the years and nothing ever truly convinced me.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 15 July 2018 - 08:41 AM

Well yes, Arachno is pretty high quality. I just taught drums are buried under another instruments. On some tracks i can't hear drums because of guitars for example. GeneralUser GS is very decent and never fails big time, but on some tracks few instruments sounds too silent. Anyway, i will stick to these two soundfonts.

Doom 2 track "d_evil" from level 31 sounds very wrong with Arachno soundfont, so looks like SC-55 music packs and GeneralUser GS are best choices.

Guys, check this iWAD, it has some incredible music tracks!
http://waper.ru/file/1853697/
Download button is "Скачать"

Something happened to that site so my posted link is dead. I post here .mus files from that wad. Also new version of Doom source port "Eternity Engine" supports .ogg files, music packs works on it.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  d64m.zip (840.45K)
    Number of downloads: 24

Does it support metadata loop tags too?

Roland SC-55 Music Packs

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 21 October 2018 - 12:26 PM

I didn't see any mentions about music packs. I just loaded .zip with -file command and it worked. looping is different than in zdoom - track fades out at end and after second starts again.
https://www.doomworl...um/25-eternity/

So no meta-data loop tag support then.

Roland SC-55 Music Packs

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Maiden! ;) © 2018 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options