Duke4.net Forums: Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke4.net Forums

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Roland SC-55 Music Packs  "Updates 'n stuff"

User is offline   NeuralStunner 

Your page is by far my favorite spot on Duke4. Definitely looking forward to the Heretic, Hexen, and unofficial Plutonia packs! (No pressure of course. No, seriously.)

Question: Do you have an SC-55 recording of Lee's full version of Grabbag? That would be pretty sweet.

Comment: By downloading the OGG versions and changing the extension to ".logg", they can be played as seamless loops by hcs64/kode64's vgmstream plugin (Winamp, foobar200). I can listen to the definitive version of Stalker for literal hours. :)

Al Capone said:

You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

Thanks! I can make one, but I think someone else already did. I could do it with seamless looping, though. I'll add it to my list.

Roland SC-55 Music Packs
new! It's Green (Duke3D BETA Track!) in FLAC, OGG, & MP3 with metadata loop tags
Duke3D, Doom, Descent, Hocus Pocus, and more...
Legacy of Grabbag Metal Medley

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 18 December 2016 - 05:38 PM

User is offline   SpooferJahk 

Been a lurker of your content for a while MusicallyInspired and I have to say your efforts are amazing. They actually inspired me to eventually get one of those units but even then, your packs are great and I use them for the lappy when I can not lug the unit around. Thanks again for the preservation/sharing efforts of your music packs.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you're enjoying them. :)

Roland SC-55 Music Packs
new! It's Green (Duke3D BETA Track!) in FLAC, OGG, & MP3 with metadata loop tags

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

MusicallyInspired made me appreciate MIDIs even more, also wanted to get one of these and SC-88Pro too for my old computer, right after upgrading my current old GPU on my main computer. By the way, one year ago they released SOUND Canvas VA for Windows and Mac, no idea if it's as good as actual hardware. That was a big surprise anyway considering Roland preferred to stay away from PCs.
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Sledgehammer: 26 December 2016 - 03:01 AM

If I do it won't work with the game.

Roland SC-55 Music Packs

User is offline   Sledgehammer 

Yeah, I know, just wanted it for personal use. Though the day might come when it would be useful if NDS release source code or if the music will be shitty in the upcoming reboot. I do listen to your sound packs quite often, especially Duke OST.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• EDuke32 Senior Developer

https://twitter.com/...805379117494272

User is offline   Master O 

Hendricks266, on 26 December 2016 - 05:29 PM, said:

Oh, so that's where Shodan is from. Never played System Shock, but all I ever hear is how great it is.

Is it really that great a game? Glad to see another company coming to its senses and making a classic open source. That means soon there will be no more need to play it in DOS.

This post has been edited by Master O: 22 January 2017 - 07:48 PM

User is offline   Tiddalick 

Great work with the Music packs.

I have a question on what settings were used when you recorded them though.

I was mucking around with a SC-55 the other day and I thought I would try and replicate the quality of the Blood flac files from your site by running the Midi files through it.
I could get the music sounding like I remember in DOS, but I couldn't get it sounding as punchy/crisp as you have in your flac files.
Did you change the Reverb/Chorus etc settings when you were recording these files?
I am curious to learn a little more about your technique and tweaks that you use. No matter what I seemed to change, I couldn't get it sounding identical. As far as I could tell, it was the same hardware that you used for generating the music.

Here's the SC-55 recording of the newly released beta track It's Green by Lee Jackson made for the recent 3D Realms Beta Trailer! Available in FLAC, OGG, and MP3 with metadata loop tags (except for the MP3 of course)!

It's Green
Copyright © Lee Jackson
All Rights Reserved.

Roland SC-55 Music Packs

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 23 October 2017 - 07:22 PM

Please forgive me! I somehow missed this post at the beginning of the month!

View PostTiddalick, on 02 October 2017 - 05:48 AM, said:

Great work with the Music packs.

I have a question on what settings were used when you recorded them though.

I was mucking around with a SC-55 the other day and I thought I would try and replicate the quality of the Blood flac files from your site by running the Midi files through it.
I could get the music sounding like I remember in DOS, but I couldn't get it sounding as punchy/crisp as you have in your flac files.
Did you change the Reverb/Chorus etc settings when you were recording these files?
I am curious to learn a little more about your technique and tweaks that you use. No matter what I seemed to change, I couldn't get it sounding identical. As far as I could tell, it was the same hardware that you used for generating the music.

Interesting. When I record now I do some post-processing effects like multi-band compression as the levels are quite low in-game and I can't increase the amplitude without clipping. So I compress it and then raise the gain to make it louder so that the transients don't clip. Gives the effects of a more punchy sound. However, I didn't do that to my Blood recordings. Those Blood recordings are very old. Of the first batch I ever recorded and I've since improved but haven't gotten around to rerecording them yet. I'm not sure what the difference could be. I made no changes to reverb or chorus settings. As far as I know I recorded them unedited. Except for the possible exemption of duplicate MIDI channels dedicated to other devices that shouldn't be played by the SC-55 (GUS and FM). I don't remember if the Blood MIDIs have them or not but they need to be muted. Can you share one of your tracks?

Roland SC-55 Music Packs

I remember you telling me that you manually added panning to the Blood MIDIs as they are entirely center-panned.

Ahhhhhhhhh That was the Blood MIDIs? That must be it. That would be why it sounds different.

Roland SC-55 Music Packs

User is offline   High Treason 

View PostHendricks266, on 24 October 2017 - 05:34 PM, said:

I remember you telling me that you manually added panning to the Blood MIDIs as they are entirely center-panned.

Attached Image: BloodPan.png

Apparently not.
Ugh, can never get over how noobish the retail Blood MIDIs are compared to those in the Alpha, it just has to be a different composer, there's no way it's the same guy.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My Website - My FTP - Forum

You have got to let the rhythm move you, move you. You have got to let the rhythm move your body to the beat.

Yeah, checked them myself too. They do have panning information. I remember changing something that was center panned though....

Roland SC-55 Music Packs

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Yes, our forum uses cookies. © 2017 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options