• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Eternity  "Final Release 15.5.2011"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Yeah a lot of the textures are certainly higher res than some of DNF's that's for sure.

Without having to re-install and re-configure DNE, can someone verify how much of a performance boost they're getting from the latest eduke32 with this?

User is offline   Stabs 

tried it last nite and had huge boosts when combined with DT's new cons, i gotta put some kinda final patch together, ive just been lazy/busy latley with DNF and ma wicked new guitar pedals, so ill scan thorugh this thread on the weekend and see if i can find any little map errors that i could fix and finalise this shit

tbh after playin through DNF, DNE's time vs content ratio reams DNF with a 10 foot pole

User is offline   djdori11 

View PostDanM, on 22 June 2011 - 07:40 PM, said:

tried it last nite and had huge boosts when combined with DT's new cons, i gotta put some kinda final patch together, ive just been lazy/busy latley with DNF and ma wicked new guitar pedals, so ill scan thorugh this thread on the weekend and see if i can find any little map errors that i could fix and finalise this shit

tbh after playin through DNF, DNE's time vs content ratio reams DNF with a 10 foot pole

yay! cant wait for this patch :)
and DanM duke nukem eternity is better than duke nukem forever in many points!!!!!!!
oh and i know 1 glitch - you can jump over the ambulance in the first level

This post has been edited by djdori11: 22 June 2011 - 10:29 PM

User is offline   Tetsuo 

They should have had a Duke bike in DNF!

User is offline   CyanFire 

Is there any reason why when i use the new cons the game quits half way through loading the first level?

View PostCyanFire, on 03 July 2011 - 12:32 PM, said:

Is there any reason why when i use the new cons the game quits half way through loading the first level?

we need to wait for the patch.
DanM you still workin on it?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postdjdori11, on 04 July 2011 - 12:31 AM, said:

we need to wait for the patch.
DanM you still workin on it?

also @CyanFire

That "patch" just consists of a minor update to the CON code which attempts to maintain frame rate by turning off some lights when the player is far away from them (or not so far away, if the frame rate is very low). It should not have any effect on whether the game loads successfully. For the latest code, you should use the CONs from the latest version of DukePlus from the Fissile Materials site. It is more recent than the patch.

Most of the CON files are in the dpcons folder. There is also STROOPER.CON, in the strooper folder, and DUKEBIKE.CON, in the dukebike folder. You can copy those from the latest DukePlus and overwrite what comes with DNE. In fact, you can overwrite using the entire dukeplus folder. Also try using the most recent eduke32.exe from here: http://dukeworld.duk...ke32/synthesis/

If it still crashes with the latest code and executable, then attach your eduke32.log

View PostDeeperThought, on 04 July 2011 - 09:44 AM, said:

also @CyanFire

That "patch" just consists of a minor update to the CON code which attempts to maintain frame rate by turning off some lights when the player is far away from them (or not so far away, if the frame rate is very low). It should not have any effect on whether the game loads successfully. For the latest code, you should use the CONs from the latest version of DukePlus from the Fissile Materials site. It is more recent than the patch.

Most of the CON files are in the dpcons folder. There is also STROOPER.CON, in the strooper folder, and DUKEBIKE.CON, in the dukebike folder. You can copy those from the latest DukePlus and overwrite what comes with DNE. In fact, you can overwrite using the entire dukeplus folder. Also try using the most recent eduke32.exe from here: http://dukeworld.duk...ke32/synthesis/

If it still crashes with the latest code and executable, then attach your eduke32.log

the patch you talking about here already released, DanM said he will do a new patch... read above..,

• Honored Donor

Are you sure the 'new patch' isn't the one DanM already talked about and released? I was under the impression DNF was finalized already.

View PostMicky C, on 05 July 2011 - 12:13 AM, said:

Are you sure the 'new patch' isn't the one DanM already talked about and released? I was under the impression DNF was finalized already.

View PostDanM, on 22 June 2011 - 07:40 PM, said:

This post has been edited by djdori11: 05 July 2011 - 12:52 AM

• Honored Donor

That comment was made one and a half weeks ago though (but it does feel like a lot longer). I guess we'll have to wait and see what DanM has to say about it.

• Duke Plus Developer

My post was correct. I write the code that goes in the "patches" so I know what I'm talking about. Whatever DanM puts up on Mod DB and calls a patch, it cannot be more recent than the DukePlus code that I uploaded a few days ago with the latest version of DukePlus. DNE is an episode that uses the DukePlus mod...aside from the DNE levels and a few textures and sounds, everything else is identical. The code, the models, etc.

so DanM what about the patch?

so the mod is dead or what? you promised a new patch and you didnt posted it and you even not updating the thread!

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

Dude.... for the 100th time there aint going to be a patch till Polymer is optimised.
Go bug someone else about that, not DanM or DeeperThought they didn't make the EDuke32 engine.

User is offline   Stabs 

a dingo took my dne patch! :)

This post has been edited by DanM: 11 August 2011 - 06:22 AM

• Honored Donor

View Postdjdori11, on 11 August 2011 - 12:36 AM, said:

so the mod is dead or what? you promised a new patch and you didnt posted it and you even not updating the thread!

He seems to think your updates are undercooked, throw another one on the barbie. [/jks]

User is offline   NY00123 

Hey all,

To begin with, I've got to try out the first level of DNE v1.3d about a week ago. I should say, to anybody involved: Very good job!
While just one level checked out, I like the additions in it, whether they're from DukePlus or DNE itself. For instance: The ability to climb, and the addition of a cutscene/talking. Oh, and of course, combined with the HRP and Polymer, the high resolution graphics and the effects!

Oh well, now, the true reason for writing this post, is reporting two variations of some glitch; It appears to be the kind of EDuke32 regression.
Well, to summarize, in terms of EDuke32 revisions (versions):
- r1881 seems fine (also looks like the version DNE comes with, for Windows at least).
- Beginning with r1882, from time to time you can see a dark transparent blue rectangle where the smoke in the first level occurs (where the Duke car explodes before).
- Starting with r1943, you can see a lot of blue in many places; Among these, the same blue rectangle is clearly noticeable now.

A few screenshots are attached, illustrating these. Log files for r1882 and r1943 are attached as well.

As for installation and system specs:
Well, I've been running DNE on Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit, with a single graphics card consisting of a GeForce GTX 460 GPU.
I've downloaded the ZIP file of DNE v1.3d from moddb and installed it to a mounted FAT32 image, as described here: http://wiki.eduke32....latform_Modding

Instead of ETERNITY.bat, I'm using this eternity.sh script (on Linux):
#!/bin/sh
~/Games/duke3d/eduke32/eduke32/polymer/eduke32/eduke32 -usecwd -game_dir DukePlus -g/home/ny00123/.eduke32/duke3d.grp -gedefs.zip -gemaps.zip -gematerials.zip -cfg dukeplus/dp_eternity.cfg
exit

As you can see, it's mostly similar to ETERNITY.bat. The exceptions are the eduke32 exe location, the -usecwd argument for forcing "current directory" to really be the current one like on Windows (and not ~/.eduke32), and manually specifying a location for duke3d.grp (v1.5). Oh, and yes, the "exit" command may indeed be unnecessary :)

Well, that's it. Hope it'll be solved. For now, I guess, I'll simply use r1881.
Thanks and, again, good job with the MOD!
NY

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000_r1882.png
  • Attached Image: duke0000_r1943.png

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Stabs 

its a bug to do with the fog which ive mentioned countless times but no one listens so it dosnt matter
tra la la la la :)

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

I remember something about fog + lights, but I think it was The Commander having that issue in some build of DNRA. When I asked him for a test map, he said that it only happened intermittently. Do you have a simple map where the problem always happens?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPlagman, on 14 August 2011 - 04:58 PM, said:

I remember something about fog + lights, but I think it was The Commander having that issue in some build of DNRA. When I asked him for a test map, he said that it only happened intermittently. Do you have a simple map where the problem always happens?

Did someone say "simple map"? I can do that. :)

Note that all surfaces in the map have the same shade.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.jpg

Attached File(s)

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostPlagman, on 14 August 2011 - 04:58 PM, said:

That happens on every map with fog when a Pointlight or Spotlight is active on neightbor sectors and sprites are rendered with a glitchy square on them both models and 8 bit sprites. I atach a example map where you can see how it looks. Could be possible to fix this? I'm making some maps for WGR2 that would look incredibly with polymer lights but I'm using fog on those so I can't implement any polymer feature.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  FOG.rar (926bytes)
    Number of downloads: 261

This post has been edited by Norvak: 14 August 2011 - 06:24 PM

User is offline   Stabs 

240 to 254 vis dosnt seem to get this glitch either, its all lower vis values that do

• Music Producer

View PostDanM, on 14 August 2011 - 07:18 PM, said:

240 to 254 vis dosnt seem to get this glitch either, its all lower vis values that do

Well I've tried with 240, 245 and 252 but it does look the same for me. :)

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

Guys, it turns out I might have been retarded this entire time; fixed in r1965. What turned out to be a ridiculously dumb mistake on my part was also recomputing the fog with each added light, so performance should be a little better across the board now.

I think that looks as intended:

Posted Image

• Duke Plus Developer

That is wonderful news.

• Music Producer

View PostPlagman, on 14 August 2011 - 07:48 PM, said:

Guys, it turns out I might have been retarded this entire time; fixed in r1965. What turned out to be a ridiculously dumb mistake on my part was also recomputing the fog with each added light, so performance should be a little better across the board now.

Thanks! Gonna try it right now.

This post has been edited by Norvak: 14 August 2011 - 08:51 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

^Well, now you put me in an uncomfortable position by quoting that (partly because it's an incomplete quotation taken out of context).. The fact is that if getting one's "hands dirty" in gameland were a requirement for developers, then we probably wouldn't have Polymer at all, and I would much prefer being patient and waiting for things to get fixed than not having new features.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Yeah, a lot of the features in EDuke32 were originally intended for me to use myself when I was making a mod. It would definitely be good if one of us was actively making a mod but I don't think it's going to be happening again any time soon. I have been feeling the itch to mod things lately I'll admit, but the amount of time needed is just something I don't have right now. :)

• Music Producer

View PostDeeperThought, on 14 August 2011 - 08:18 PM, said:

^Well, now you put me in an uncomfortable position by quoting that (partly because it's an incomplete quotation taken out of context).. The fact is that if getting one's "hands dirty" in gameland were a requirement for developers, then we probably wouldn't have Polymer at all, and I would much prefer being patient and waiting for things to get fixed than not having new features.

My intention wasn't to make you feel that way sorry for that : /

But my point was that sometimes when one is mapping and some effect doesn't work as is intented I don't feel like bother developers with annoying requests, so this time with the fog for example it surprises me how quickly this issue was fixed, and this is a good thing of course but someone as a simple mapper or a gamer doesn't know how hard or easy is to code things. And as you said is preferable to wait for some things instead of have any new feature at all.

This post has been edited by Norvak: 14 August 2011 - 08:51 PM

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options