• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: War of Attrition  "Discussion thread for DT's War of Attrition mod"

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostShadow Reborn, on 29 August 2016 - 01:47 PM, said:

Sorry for double posting but I also remembered that killing the S Trooper with explosions (rocket, pipebomb that generate multiple explosions) instantly levels up the weapon to 13-14...killing it with hitscan weapons give the weapon a level or so in experience and shooting anything beyond that point with it will level it up 1-2 levels up until 13. I really think that anything from the S trooper (gibs and dead body) also help level the weapon up instantly as the multiple explosions also destroy everything related to the poor Trooper.
Of course, as the weapon gains insane levels so does the player score massively increase.

OK, but I did kill some of those troopers earlier today and nothing like that happened. They gave normal XP and everything was fine.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 29 August 2016 - 07:00 PM, said:

OK, but I did kill some of those troopers earlier today and nothing like that happened. They gave normal XP and everything was fine.

Yeah, I killed quite a few myself until Warp Factor and all was fine and dandy...
You could try going on past Warp Factor if it didn't happen for you so far....
Also, as I said, it might not be the actual S Trooper causing this but I do know that only this version with the added S Trooper has this bug buried somewhere. It is a pity since this version is even better than the last!

• Duke Plus Developer

I need to be sure that we are using exactly the same code, so download this and replace the attcons with them: http://www.filedropper.com/attcons

Sure thing!

I will download that, replace in my copy and try it out...it may happen again or it may not.:D

Also, wanted to ask...do you think there might be a problem if I have Duke_DC.GRP in my autoload folder? I know Attrition comes with the Duke_DC maps but I left the DC.GRP there in autoload just in case as I didn't think it might cause problems...what do you say?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostShadow Reborn, on 30 August 2016 - 02:35 PM, said:

Also, wanted to ask...do you think there might be a problem if I have Duke_DC.GRP in my autoload folder? I know Attrition comes with the Duke_DC maps but I left the DC.GRP there in autoload just in case as I didn't think it might cause problems...what do you say?

It should not cause problems with code, but there's no need for it. The DC art has been incorporated in a different way. I have different sets of user art getting loaded depending on the map.

User is offline   king karl 

so i just updated this mod and noticed some odd things

1. didnt you used to have more episodes in here? i thought the roch series was an episode once now i dont see it.

2. i started a new game on this metropolitan mayhem episode, got the first level noticed it was a remake of hollywood holocaust called "duke's day" very neat.....but after i beat it it just repeats the same level over and over and over, and it goes straight from mission 1 to mission 3

EDIT

looks like its more than just metro mayhem that is messed up. entering highscore mode and finishing a level causes the game to go to the lunar apocalypse end screen and get stuck there (stats will not appear, no new level will load, game must be closed) and starting original levels gets stuck in HH for the same reason as above (it just repeats lv 1 over and over again)

EDIT 2: the reckoning

using the latest eduke 32 was the problem

This post has been edited by king karl: 03 September 2016 - 07:47 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postking karl, on 03 September 2016 - 04:16 AM, said:

EDIT 2: the reckoning

using the latest eduke 32 was the problem

Yeah there are major problems with the latest snapshot. I always include a known working binary with my mods because I never know when something is going to get broken.

• Duke Plus Developer

Doubled weapons perk WIP video. The muzzleflash is out of position on the left minigun, I fixed it after uploading the video.

The perk will work like this: after you buy it, all weapons are doubled except for kicks and tripbombs. If your ammo falls below a certain amount, then the weapon reverts to single (this is actually a good thing for the player, since otherwise you would burn through all your ammo very quickly).

I don't know about you but quadruple devastator is a bit too much I'd say O_o
Not only it looks awful having 2 more hovering above our head but it's also unrealistic, apart from the freezer all weapons can be thought in a way that would make them credible but not the devastator ...

Apart from that it looks quite good, I love the dual Pipebom/Shrinker/Flamethrower/ShockCannon ^^
Too bad you didn't finish the BFG from WGR2 it would have looked ultimately awesome with that perk though maybe abusively too powerful :D

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 06 September 2016 - 01:16 PM, said:

I don't know about you but quadruple devastator is a bit too much I'd say O_o
Not only it looks awful having 2 more hovering above our head but it's also unrealistic, apart from the freezer all weapons can be thought in a way that would make them credible but not the devastator ...

Apart from that it looks quite good, I love the dual Pipebom/Shrinker/Flamethrower/ShockCannon ^^
Too bad you didn't finish the BFG from WGR2 it would have looked ultimately awesome with that perk though maybe abusively too powerful :D

You have to imagine that the enhanced devastator has a harness, and there is a second set of guns that extends from the back and drops down into position over your head. It's no more ridiculous than being able to fire and reload 2 shotguns simultaneously.

As for the BFG...the reason I didn't bother putting it in is that I decided it was redundant from a gameplay standpoint. Some of the other weapons, when fully upgraded, already have BFG-like functionality (not to mention the Duke Nuke).

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostTrooper Dan, on 06 September 2016 - 12:30 PM, said:

Doubled weapons perk WIP video.

looks horrible

couldn't you just put a double-firepower bar at the top or bottom of the screen and have it work the same way - & once ammo reaches a certain level the bar is bottomed out.

This post has been edited by Forge: 06 September 2016 - 06:54 PM

Hello again!

Awesome idea, Dan!! The Dual Weapons Perk idea is very welcome. I agree that the Devastator is actually awesome with dual wield...it looks like you are in a battle suit with a quad cannon.

I finished a full Original Missions play-through on Damn I'm Good and the XP bug did not happen this time at any point. How curious.

So much love for Hazard Immunity perk.:D

I can point out the following issues that I encountered while I played:

1) Best Armor Regen and Hazard Immunity perks still display their point requirements even after being learned.

2) Scuba Gear continues to decrease to 0 underwater even after selecting the Hazard Immunity perk (Boots do not decrease however). The Health does not decrease after the Scuba Gear expires when underwater so in essence, it works. The Scuba should not continue to decrease, though.

3) Cloned monsters created by the perk should expire after 1 min...they clutter and are annoying way too much later on. Some clones also drop some loot again if killed (mainly Laser Pistol and Shotgun).
An idea I offer is replacing the perk entirely with either: 2 death-rages per level (you can easily die to the Super Drones or the Mega Blaster Enforcers later on) OR 10% permanently reduced damage, reduction applied after the Armor damage reduction.
What do you think of these ideas?

4) There are too few drops of Shock Ammo in the game. A quarter of the campaign in, Shock Ammo becomes very scarce and it was very hard to level up the Shock Cannon. It wasn't very low level in the end but considerably lower than most other weapons. I also got a few useless (since I can never get the weapon) Flamer ammo drops from some backpacks.

5) I think I mentioned this before but it does actually continue to happen: Some converted (not sure if Perk or Expander made) Protector Drones and even some Pigs slow me down when I move close to them. Since they keep up with me and are usually in my face they kinda hinder my movement.

6) While in Death-Rage, my armor continued to drop to zero while I was still being shot at...I noticed because I still had quite a bit of it left the moment I entered Death-Rage. The health was ok and did not decrease but actually increased due to me having Improved Death Rage and Life Leech.

This is more a question out of curiosity: Is there a reason why some levels are changed from their original order? Were there some problems so you had to move them around?

Sorry for the long report but I figured since you probably plan on releasing an update with the Dual Weapons Perk (awesome!) maybe you can have a look and iron out some of the aforementioned issues.

Cheers!

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostTrooper Dan, on 06 September 2016 - 12:30 PM, said:

The perk will work like this: after you buy it, all weapons are doubled except for kicks and tripbombs. If your ammo falls below a certain amount, then the weapon reverts to single (this is actually a good thing for the player, since otherwise you would burn through all your ammo very quickly).

Are you saying that there's no option to switch between single and double weapons? That doesn't really make a lot of sense. The shrinker for example is essentially a one-hit-kill weapon, and a second blast would be a waste. When you're fighting troopers, a single shotgun blast usually kills them all, and anything more would be a waste of ammo.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 06 September 2016 - 03:35 PM, said:

looks horrible

couldn't you just put a double-firepower bare at the top or bottom of the screen and have it work the same way - & once ammo reaches a certain level the bar is bottomed out.

Nope, it's a goofy perk and it's going to look goofy. The final version might look a little "better", but having the player hold two huge two-handed weapons at the same time is just silly, and it's going to stay that way. My recommendation: if you play the mod again after the next release, just don't buy the perk. It is completely optional.

View PostShadow Reborn, on 06 September 2016 - 04:40 PM, said:

Hello again!

Awesome idea, Dan!! The Dual Weapons Perk idea is very welcome. I agree that the Devastator is actually awesome with dual wield...it looks like you are in a battle suit with a quad cannon.

I finished a full Original Missions play-through on Damn I'm Good and the XP bug did not happen this time at any point. How curious.

I hope that means it is fixed, because I couldn't find anything to explain it in the latest code.

So much love for Hazard Immunity perk.:D

I can point out the following issues that I encountered while I played:

1) Best Armor Regen and Hazard Immunity perks still display their point requirements even after being learned.

2) Scuba Gear continues to decrease to 0 underwater even after selecting the Hazard Immunity perk (Boots do not decrease however). The Health does not decrease after the Scuba Gear expires when underwater so in essence, it works. The Scuba should not continue to decrease, though.

I'll fix the point display bug. The scuba thing is not a bug, though. What is happening is the perk gives you infinite lung capacity. Once the scuba gear runs out, you will still not drown. I guess I could have the perk remove your scuba gear instantly, though.

View PostForge, on 06 September 2016 - 03:35 PM, said:

3) Cloned monsters created by the perk should expire after 1 min...they clutter and are annoying way too much later on. Some clones also drop some loot again if killed (mainly Laser Pistol and Shotgun).
An idea I offer is replacing the perk entirely with either: 2 death-rages per level (you can easily die to the Super Drones or the Mega Blaster Enforcers later on) OR 10% permanently reduced damage, reduction applied after the Armor damage reduction.
What do you think of these ideas?

Hmm, I thought cloned monsters did expire. I know they do when spawned by the upgraded expander. I'll look into it. I'll also think about making perks refundable.

4) There are too few drops of Shock Ammo in the game. A quarter of the campaign in, Shock Ammo becomes very scarce and it was very hard to level up the Shock Cannon. It wasn't very low level in the end but considerably lower than most other weapons. I also got a few useless (since I can never get the weapon) Flamer ammo drops from some backpacks.

If you select that gun as the starting weapon, then ammo drops like crazy. Was it your starting weapon?

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 06 September 2016 - 08:07 PM
Reason for edit: misattributed a quote

User is offline   Forge 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 06 September 2016 - 06:33 PM, said:

Nope, it's a goofy perk and it's going to look goofy.

optional or not - just because you can doesn't mean you should.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostForge, on 06 September 2016 - 06:57 PM, said:

There were times back when I was learning to mod Duke when I would do things just because I could. But I can assure you, in this case, I'm doing it because I actually think it is a good idea and will be fun. So, right or wrong, at least my motivation is sound.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostForge, on 06 September 2016 - 06:57 PM, said:

Noooo your OCD!

User is offline   Forge 

View PostMike Norvak, on 06 September 2016 - 07:55 PM, said:

Noooo your OCD!

• Duke Plus Developer

That's been done already, but has anyone made a mod with TWO cat guns? With one cat in each hand, you'd be unstoppable. You wouldn't even need to switch weapons for melee.

Hmm, I thought cloned monsters did expire. I know they do when spawned by the upgraded expander. I'll look into it. I'll also think about making perks refundable.

Expander cloned monsters do expire. I think that the Perk clones need to expire too at least.

I'll fix the point display bug. The scuba thing is not a bug, though. What is happening is the perk gives you infinite lung capacity. Once the scuba gear runs out, you will still not drown. I guess I could have the perk remove your scuba gear instantly, though.

Yeah it is way better than to leave it ticking down to 0 once the perk is chosen.

If you select that gun as the starting weapon, then ammo drops like crazy. Was it your starting weapon?

Yes, the Shock Cannon was my starting weapon. It usually is.:D
Can you get it if you do not choose it as a starting weapon?
As I said I got some useless Flamer ammo drops but I couldn't get the Flamer during the play-through.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 06 September 2016 - 07:51 PM, said:

There were times back when I was learning to mod Duke when I would do things just because I could. But I can assure you, in this case, I'm doing it because I actually think it is a good idea and will be fun. So, right or wrong, at least my motivation is sound.

That's the spirit. If you feel like it, get it done! I think it will be sound fun. Unrealistic and goofy yes but it fits so much with Duke Nukem. Only Duke can dual-wield anything!

Will you look into the Death-Rage not invulnerable Armor bug too? I think it is one of the most pressing issues.

Cheers!

This post has been edited by Shadow Reborn: 07 September 2016 - 01:19 AM

View PostShadow Reborn, on 07 September 2016 - 01:08 AM, said:

Expander cloned monsters do expire. I think that the Perk clones need to expire too at least.

Yeah it is way better than to leave it ticking down to 0 once the perk is chosen.

Yes, the Shock Cannon was my starting weapon. It usually is.:D
Can you get it if you do not choose it as a starting weapon?
As I said I got some useless Flamer ammo drops but I couldn't get the Flamer during the play-through.

Will you look into the Death-Rage not invulnerable Armor bug too? I think it is one of the most pressing issues.

Cheers!

Normally you can't get the Flamethrower unless you use a cheat if you chose the Shock Cannon as a starting weapon and vice versa, and you can't get any of them if you chose the Freezer or Shrinker. Personally I have never ever found the Flamer or Shocker on my numerous playthroughs.

I suppose a way to make it so that we no longer have useless ammo for a gun we can't have would be either to disable them from the back-pack's wheel when another weapon was selected upon start, OR make it so that certain enemies are likely to drop the guns in question but it'd require either adding new enemies or seeking logical choices which is hard since no enemy use lightning attacks and no flame-throwing attack per say :/
But since Dan doesn't care that much about realism I'm sure he'll find a way just like with the XP bug ^^

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 07 September 2016 - 01:23 AM, said:

Normally you can't get the Flamethrower unless you use a cheat if you chose the Shock Cannon as a starting weapon and vice versa, and you can't get any of them if you chose the Freezer or Shrinker. Personally I have never ever found the Flamer or Shocker on my numerous playthroughs.

I knew that but I thought you can acquire the Shock Cannon somehow since Dan asked me if it was my starting weapon. I remember he nerfed the Shock Ammo drops but it is a bit too much atm.

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 07 September 2016 - 01:23 AM, said:

I suppose a way to make it so that we no longer have useless ammo for a gun we can't have would be either to disable them from the back-pack's wheel when another weapon was selected upon start, OR make it so that certain enemies are likely to drop the guns in question but it'd require either adding new enemies or seeking logical choices which is hard since no enemy use lightning attacks and no flame-throwing attack per say :/

There are Pigs and Enforcers armed with Flamer that throw flaming balls. That fire-mode is actually the Flamer's Alt-Fire. As for the Shock Cannon, a variant of the new Super Trooper shoots electrical bolts at you.:D
So there we have it. These guys could drop the Flamer and the Shock Cannon respectively. :D

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostShadow Reborn, on 07 September 2016 - 01:08 AM, said:

I don't see the problem here. If you are in death rage mode, that's because you took damage that would have killed you, so you are lucky to be alive. The death rage temporarily prevents your health from dropping below a certain number, but why should it do that with armor as well? Death Rage is a second-chance at life intended to balance out cheap deaths, it's not supposed to leave you in a great position when it ends.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 07 September 2016 - 01:40 AM, said:

I don't see the problem here. If you are in death rage mode, that's because you took damage that would have killed you, so you are lucky to be alive. The death rage temporarily prevents your health from dropping below a certain number, but why should it do that with armor as well? Death Rage is a second-chance at life intended to balance out cheap deaths, it's not supposed to leave you in a great position when it ends.

I see, so it is intended to be this way. It was a bit weird since I had like 500+ armor left when I "died" since my health cap was way lower than the armor cap. Thanks to Armor Regen I had high armor values generally. It was all melted when I entered Death-Rage though :D. I guess it is good enough as it is now since it prevents frustration from a cheap death by Super Protector Drone's radiation blast or Mega Enforcer's burst.

Speaking about Death Rage, is it normal that sustaining damage in DeathRage reduces your score but when you have the Improved DeathRage you'll no longer lose points ?
I mean is it a gameplay mechanic or a minor glitch ?

Usually I don't take improved death rage because of that, I take the occasion of DeathRage to be as much as possible and lower the score so that the final level is delayed ^^

When do you plan on releasing this new version, Dan?
The dual wield perk seems complete. :D

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostShadow Reborn, on 08 September 2016 - 05:01 AM, said:

When do you plan on releasing this new version, Dan?
The dual wield perk seems complete. :D

It wasn't complete in that video, remember there are lots of alt-fire modes on the weapons, and they change as the weapons upgrade, which creates extra work and more bugs. However, I have a version that I am testing now, so it won't be long until I have something ready for you guys.

My first impression is good -- it doesn't seem overpowered because it uses up a ton of ammo and because it doesn't give the player anything defensive. Also, since weapons are only doubled when ammo is over a certain threshold, it encourages the player to switch to weapons with a lot of ammo, which will make players use some weapons they normally ignore. I made the cost of the perk 16. In addition, I changed the monster allies perk so that they explode after 1 minute, doing damage to nearby monsters but not the player.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 08 September 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

It wasn't complete in that video, remember there are lots of alt-fire modes on the weapons, and they change as the weapons upgrade, which creates extra work and more bugs. However, I have a version that I am testing now, so it won't be long until I have something ready for you guys.

My first impression is good -- it doesn't seem overpowered because it uses up a ton of ammo and because it doesn't give the player anything defensive. Also, since weapons are only doubled when ammo is over a certain threshold, it encourages the player to switch to weapons with a lot of ammo, which will make players use some weapons they normally ignore. I made the cost of the perk 16. In addition, I changed the monster allies perk so that they explode after 1 minute, doing damage to nearby monsters but not the player.

Great stuff, Dan! I also think the perk is not overpowered because you need to use a lot of ammo to make good use of it. That means I will have to take it later in the game. I always tend to try to level-up all weapons as much as possible so that I have more capable options late game. With double the firepower they are immensely more powerful. You could make the perk cost 25 points as the firepower provided later on is extremely valuable.

Awesome idea for balancing the allied monsters perk and getting rid of surplus monsters while also making them useful in tight spaces. They will finally stop blocking and slowing me down without purpose. They will fight the other monsters for a while and then sacrifice themselves for their master.:D

Keep us posted!

• Duke Plus Developer

Hey guys, I have uploaded a beta of a new version to test out. You can download it from the page at Fissile Materials: http://fissile.duke4..._attrition.html

I have been playing around with it and haven't noticed any bugs with the new perk, but I didn't have a lot of time with it. Please let me know what you think. I would like to have a new official version released and uploaded to Mod DB soonish.

Share this topic:

• 39 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options