• 39 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: War of Attrition  "Discussion thread for DT's War of Attrition mod"

User is offline   Rhaisher 

Mike Norvak, on 09 November 2015 - 03:11 PM, said:

I wonder if you can include this map in your woa mode, and other recent maps from megaton workshop.

http://www.scent-88....H/hunt/hunt.php

It had almost no impact on the community.

I didn't know you had already released it. I remember seeing the QR code feature (which, BTW, works nicely ) in another thread. I would like to have it included in the 'WoA episode'. :)

User is offline   Warhawk 

Trooper Dan, on 08 November 2015 - 10:51 PM, said:

Armored Trooper Sheet

Uhh. I don't know if you noticed but, on the third roll, the last 2 sprites on the right, are duplicates.

This post has been edited by Warhawk: 09 November 2015 - 08:18 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Mike Norvak, on 09 November 2015 - 03:11 PM, said:

I wonder if you can include this map in your woa mode, and other recent maps from megaton workshop.

Sixty Four, on 09 November 2015 - 03:35 PM, said:

El Paso map would be fun to though, both of those maps would be great there in that mode.

Thanks, guys. I would have missed those. There's some older DM maps I could include as well.

I think what I need to do for WOA mode is an overhaul which allows for a random selection of DM maps, rather than always the same maps in the same order. The difficulty is that the wave progression is designed with the current maps in mind (in terms of size and layout). It will take some work to get it right.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Random maps with the same attack progression - well that would be interesting - sounds like another 'episode' for the mod.

• Duke Plus Developer

Forge, on 09 November 2015 - 09:43 PM, said:

Random maps with the same attack progression - well that would be interesting - sounds like another 'episode' for the mod.

Nah still one episode for WOA mode. What I will need to do is group maps together of like size. Then waves 1-5 would occur in either map A or map B, 6-10 in either C or D, and so on. With a little more work I could allow the player to choose which of two maps they would play next.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

you're right, but adding in an option to play WOA mode 'normal', or in a random map mode would be pretty neat.

User is offline   FistMarine 

edit

This post has been edited by FistMarine: 11 December 2016 - 06:33 AM

Just for curiosity, I looked date and dimension of some attrition maps. I noticed that they are still the original (all of them) and not the corrected ones from the addon pack. So I made a fix.

Attached File  Corrected maps + music.zip (2.53MB)
Number of downloads: 200

Optionally, you can even use the music that certain maps should play replacing the ATTDEFS.con.

• Duke Plus Developer

Fantinaikos, on 17 November 2015 - 07:14 AM, said:

Just for curiosity, I looked date and dimension of some attrition maps. I noticed that they are still the original (all of them) and not the corrected ones from the addon pack. So I made a fix.

I wasn't aware that "corrected" versions of those maps existed. While I do include a large number of maps from different authors for playing with this mod, I don't edit the maps in any way. Can you tell what has been modified in the maps? I noticed several of the ROCH maps are in that zip, for example.

Trooper Dan, on 17 November 2015 - 09:20 AM, said:

I wasn't aware that "corrected" versions of those maps existed. While I do include a large number of maps from different authors for playing with this mod, I don't edit the maps in any way. Can you tell what has been modified in the maps? I noticed several of the ROCH maps are in that zip, for example.

Just few examples: original ROCH 7 had some sprite alignment issues and an incompatible section for Opengl, original Blackend had a clipping wall near a doorway, in original Wgspace third level a keycard was not too visible (and misaligned texture in a certain section), ecc...

These are all fixes performed by NightFright and people who helped him.

• Duke Plus Developer

Fantinaikos, on 17 November 2015 - 09:46 AM, said:

Just few examples: original ROCH 7 had some sprite alignment issues and an incompatible section for Opengl, original Blackend had a clipping wall near a doorway, in original Wgspace third level a keycard was not too visible (and misaligned texture in a certain section), ecc...

These are all fixes performed by NightFright and people who helped him.

I see. Well that sounds harmless enough. I just don't want to get in trouble with the map authors. Attrition does change the gameplay in their maps as it is.

User is offline   supergoofy 

I'm sure NightFright got permissions for the changes he did. Can you please contact NightFright and, if it's ok, thus to include the corrected maps ?

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 17 November 2015 - 11:59 AM

Hello !

I've had a weird glitch with the mod on my two latest playthroughs .. Basically I gain a level for every kill and sometimes for every shots.

It made me get level 10 RPG and level 11 Devastator along with a million points and 18 player level in one play and in my latest it made me get level 12 Chaingun and in both cases I got something like 30 perk points.
I don't yet understand how it happens and I remember that first time I played the new version of the mod using a nuke made me get level 12 on pistols as I was holding them.

If it can help I remember that when I got the level 10 RPG I shot at a commander gained a level and it put me on the Perk screen because I had passed 20 points, but for the Devastator and later with the Chaingun nothing special happened ... as I said I don't yet understand the circumstances of that glitch, tis' probably random ... Also when I had the glitch with the Chaingun I had it level 7 and when I killed an enemy the bar filled up and after a few shots on a buffed up Enforcer it directly went to 12 and the glitch stopped. It was the same with RPG and Devastator on the earlier playthrough, the level bar was filled and a few shots made them go to 10 and 11 respectively and the glitch stopped.

• Duke Plus Developer

Are you using the eduke32.exe that came with the mod, or are you using a more recent version?

I think I know what line of code is causing that to happen. It looks like when the XP value of the monster is set, a monster will get set to a crazy high value if it's not one of the tile numbers on my list. This never happened while I was testing, though. The stupid thing is that I could have easily had it log the errant tile number instead but I thought it would be funny to give the player a ton of XP...dumb.

If I'm right you can fix this in your copy with a small edit to ATTRAND.CON located inside of the attons folder. Open with a text editor and search for:

setvar mval 777777 // this will make errors obvious
break

Change it to this:

setvar mval 200
addlogvar picnum
break

Then if you ever check your eduke32.log and see that "picnum" got logged, post the log file here. :dukeaffirmative:

I use EDuke version r5412 and I start the game with the included batch file.
I don't think I ever changed it to a higher version ever since I got the new mod ...

I have searched my latest EDuke log with Ctrl+F and it found no picnum or anything you showed , do you still want me to post it ?

This post has been edited by thedrawliner: 18 February 2016 - 01:50 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

Nevermind that. Just do this: Unzip the attached ATTRAND.CON file. Put it in attrition/attcons/ and overwrite the file of the same name. When you start a new game after that, the bug should be gone. If it isn't please let me know.

Attached File  ATTRAND.zip (4.35K)
Number of downloads: 188

I've completed another playthrough and it looks like it worked : I got all the weapons level 6 and 5 fair and square, nicely done Dan ^_-

• Duke Plus Developer

thedrawliner, on 18 February 2016 - 01:08 PM, said:

I've completed another playthrough and it looks like it worked : I got all the weapons level 6 and 5 fair and square, nicely done Dan ^_-

Maybe I fixed it, or maybe it just didn't happen this time. As I said, it never happened during all of my testing.

This fix also resolve those bugs that I reported to you?

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostFantinaikos, on 18 February 2016 - 03:09 PM, said:

This fix also resolve those bugs that I reported to you?

No, at most it fixes the one issue. The last round of fixes for Attrition I did back in November 2015.

Hello Dan! I hope you will check back here.B)

I got this latest Attrition version since I wanted to play again fully.

The weapon and player level XP bug happened to me as well even with your hotfix ( I got it and restarted).

In the original campaign I got to Warp Factor and right at start in the small room flanked by the two elevators after the battle with the small army of Sentry Drones a Super Trooper spawned.
This guy yielded like 4k XP and the weapon that I was holding at that moment quickly gained a new level.
Worse is that it got "tainted" and now whenever I fire at an enemy with that specific weapon that I held when I killed the Trooper it always gains a level instantly and my player level also grows very fast along with it...
The other weapons that I didn't use on the Super Trooper are fine. I loaded and re-tested with a lot of them even the foot and the same thing happens...Trooper dies yields a lot of XP and the killer weapon gets stuck on leveling up fast. Leveled the Shotgun to 13 in a few shots and then it stopped...or so it seemed.

Obviously I killed more of these new Super Troopers (which are awesome btw) up until this point but it happened now in that specific spot. Maybe the spot is irrelevant since monsters are generated randomly but I provided every info I could. Maybe the monster is irrelevant as well and this could happen with any foe.

Could you please take a further look into this? I really want to play through your Mod again with this new version.:P

Cheers!

• Duke Plus Developer

Is that the bug where someone plays on high score mode for many levels and breaks the game by leveling past the point where I thought most players would get bored? :P

Hey there!

No, I specified that I was playing the Original Levels campaign not High-Score...and it happened in the circumstances mentioned above.

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostShadow Reborn, on 27 August 2016 - 01:33 PM, said:

Hey there!

No, I specified that I was playing the Original Levels campaign not High-Score...and it happened in the circumstances mentioned above.

Ok that's bad, I will look into that.

Thank you!

I am patiently waiting for a fix.:P

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostShadow Reborn, on 27 August 2016 - 01:21 PM, said:

I loaded and re-tested with a lot of them even the foot and the same thing happens...Trooper dies yields a lot of XP and the killer weapon gets stuck on leveling up fast. Leveled the Shotgun to 13 in a few shots and then it stopped...or so it seemed.

Do you still have this saved game? I can't get the bug to occur on my end and it would be very helpful if you could send it to me.

Sadly no...I purged the copy since I knew that when the fix is ready I'll have to restart. I kept it for a while to try to avoid killing the Trooper but the bug happened a bit later in the level anyway.
I think it is more prone to happen in the original campaign. It happened for the first time in Red Light District and I used your fix and restarted but it happened again in Warp Factor at start as I said.

I hope you can find what is causing this...

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostShadow Reborn, on 29 August 2016 - 01:15 PM, said:

Sadly no...I purged the copy since I knew that when the fix is ready I'll have to restart. I kept it for a while to try to avoid killing the Trooper but the bug happened a bit later in the level anyway.
I think it is more prone to happen in the original campaign. It happened for the first time in Red Light District and I used your fix and restarted but it happened again in Warp Factor at start as I said.

I hope you can find what is causing this...

Does it only happen when killing the new trooper type? I looked at the code and I couldn't find anything special about them XP-wise.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 29 August 2016 - 01:22 PM, said:

Does it only happen when killing the new trooper type? I looked at the code and I couldn't find anything special about them XP-wise.

I killed the Super Trooper for the first time when it happened in Warp Factor and from that moment the weapon that I killed the Trooper with would level up when i FIRED at anything from then on.
However, I tried to skip past the small room with the force field (so that I don't spawn the Super Trooper) and instead chose to take one of the elevators down and after I played a bit and killed a Fat Commander the same thing happened. So I don't really know for sure if it's only the Trooper...

EDIT: I must add that the super Trooper takes the place of a normal Trooper at the start of Warp Factor in that room.
But the thing with the Fat Commader or perhaps a nearby monster that probably died from my rocket is weird.

This post has been edited by Shadow Reborn: 29 August 2016 - 01:31 PM

Sorry for double posting but I also remembered that killing the S Trooper with explosions (rocket, pipebomb that generate multiple explosions) instantly levels up the weapon to 13-14...killing it with hitscan weapons give the weapon a level or so in experience and shooting anything beyond that point with it will level it up 1-2 levels up until 13. I really think that anything from the S trooper (gibs and dead body) also help level the weapon up instantly as the multiple explosions also destroy everything related to the poor Trooper.
Of course, as the weapon gains insane levels so does the player score massively increase.

Share this topic:

• 39 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options