Duke4.net Forums: Mapster32 problems and bugs - Duke4.net Forums

• 42 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mapster32 problems and bugs  "Please post them exclusively here"

User is offline   Yefhy86 

11/28/2009

In 1995 I began work on a project I called Cellstruk. It was about a federal prision complex wich required several map files packed into a single GRP file. With the computer I
had back then, I was able to select one, or part of, several stacked sectors to be the one with an opening. For example, I had two bridges on my main map. I had to copy one
to make the other and once I did that the openings would be messed up. There would be a wall on each side of the bridge between the bottem of the bridge and the water. I had
about 3 storys of office spaces above street level on each bridge and so from inside one would be able to look out but not be able to look in from outside untill just then
when I had copied and pasted. Back then, I selected my sector walls so that I chose wich ones would have the openings and then I saved. With the P.C. I have today, I can't do
that. I set the bridge and then save but it won't save what I set. I think it's the Eduke32, or the Mapster32 programs doing it or just the fact that I am runing windows Vista
on an 64 bit machine. It's not just my problem, It's everyones problem. It didn't just affect my bridges, but also my gaurd towers, both above and below water towers.

Yefhy86

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostTX, on Nov 3 2009, 11:53 AM, said:

Anyway, as for the lag... yeah, if undo/redo was causing it when you started to modify the map is when you would start seeing the lag. What are your system specs? Does the lag only happen when you make the changes to the map, with everything being fine while you're only looking around? Does the lag get progressively worse as you make more and more changes? The undo/redo feature works by creating an extra copy of specific parts of the map structure in memory every time things are altered. I guess I need to implement a maximum memory usage for the feature but I need more information on the problems first.

I've upgraded my video card from GeForce 7100(onboard) to GeForce 9800(PCI-E) and the lag seems to be gone. I'll work with mapster for a longer period of time when I get a chance and see if the lag returns. It would initially appear that the lag and lock-ups are being caused by a drain on the system's video memory.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

I've just pushed a set of Polymer changes that mainly target mapster32. First, there's proper selection code that should actually work properly in all cases. Selecting models also works as you would expect, unlike classic and Polymost modes. I also fixed a couple of issues in the rendering code that would cause some shade and parallaxing changes not to show up right away. More detail in the ChangeLog.

You can get a build that includes these changes there: http://dukeworld.duk.../20091206-1556/

Thanks in advance for reporting any Mapster32 + Polymer issues you might encounter while testing this build.

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostPlagman, on Dec 6 2009, 11:34 PM, said:

I've just pushed a set of Polymer changes that mainly target mapster32. First, there's proper selection code that should actually work properly in all cases. Selecting models also works as you would expect, unlike classic and Polymost modes. I

you sure fucking did

top work there bro :)

View PostPlagman, on Dec 6 2009, 11:34 PM, said:

I've just pushed a set of Polymer changes that mainly target mapster32. First, there's proper selection code that should actually work properly in all cases. Selecting models also works as you would expect, unlike classic and Polymost modes. I also fixed a couple of issues in the rendering code that would cause some shade and parallaxing changes not to show up right away. More detail in the ChangeLog.

You can get a build that includes these changes there: http://dukeworld.duk.../20091206-1556/

Thanks in advance for reporting any Mapster32 + Polymer issues you might encounter while testing this build.

Well, that build instantly crashes when started..

Sys:
AMD Phenom 9550, GeForce 8800GT and OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64.. here's the logfile:

Mapster32 1.3.0devel 20090616
addsearchpath(): Added D:/Spiele/Husthustbla/
Using config file 'mapster32.cfg'.
Loading opengl32.dll
Loading glu32.dll
Initializing DirectDraw...
Loading "m32help.hlp"
Switching kb layout from 00000407 to 00000409
Initializing DirectInput...
- Enumerating attached input devices
* MOUSE: Maus
* KEYBOARD: Tastatur
* JOYSTICK: Generic USB Joystick
Joystick has 5 axes, 12 buttons, and 1 hat(s).
Initialized 16.0M cache
Loading NAMES.H
Read 766 lines, loaded 737 names.
Loading 'duke3d.def'
Error: file 'DATA/ART/GLAS.PNG' does not exist
Definitions file loaded.
Setting video mode 1280x1024 (32-bit windowed)
OpenGL Information:
Version: 3.1.0
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer: GeForce 8800 GT/PCI/SSE2
Initializing Polymer subsystem...
Fatal Signal caught: SIGSEGV. Bailing out.
Uninitializing DirectDraw...
Uninitializing DirectInput...

Is that with any map or a specific map? If the latter, please attach it here or send it to me in private.

User is offline   Spiker 

hey the new aiming system is awesome!

User is offline   Stabs 

there is a bit of problem with 1557 & 1558, in rendermode 4 and in-game polymer the sky clips the tops of buildings in the example picture

Attached Image: PARRAWEIRD.jpg
when looking at it in game, the mouse stops responding untill i get it off the screen. i can move with keys fine.

View PostPlagman, on Dec 7 2009, 07:36 AM, said:

Is that with any map or a specific map? If the latter, please attach it here or send it to me in private.

Message sent!

DanM: Can you please send me a map that reproduces this issue? You're saying Polymer before 1557 was fine, right?

User is offline   Spiker 

I've noticed 2 things. Not sure if the first one is related only to this version because I usually use windowed mode.

- 2D mode in fullscreen is completely broken for me. It displays nothing but black colour and after a few seconds you can't do anything but restart your computer. (After some time I can't even run task manager) I know that 3d mode in fullscreen is working because when you have newboard.map in your folder it automatically starts in this mode.

- When in a squishing sector (for example closed ceiling door) the whole scene is being rendered (even very distant sectors) and this makes mapster really slow. It's very annoying especially when you only want to pass the door and then you get a 10 second lag which never happened before.

User is offline   Stabs 

i only really played around in 1557 for a few mins but did notice the mouse was a bit strange

i really started to notice it on 1558, ill send a map tonite when i get home

think it has to do with some parralax thing added in 55 -56 i think

This post has been edited by DanM: 08 December 2009 - 06:25 PM

View PostSpiker, on Dec 8 2009, 05:27 PM, said:

I've noticed 2 things. Not sure if the first one is related only to this version because I usually use windowed mode.

- 2D mode in fullscreen is completely broken for me. It displays nothing but black colour and after a few seconds you can't do anything but restart your computer. (After some time I can't even run task manager) I know that 3d mode in fullscreen is working because when you have newboard.map in your folder it automatically starts in this mode.

- When in a squishing sector (for example closed ceiling door) the whole scene is being rendered (even very distant sectors) and this makes mapster really slow. It's very annoying especially when you only want to pass the door and then you get a 10 second lag which never happened before.

About the first issue, I'm not getting any problems with 2D fullscreen. Maybe try a set of older EDuke32 builds and see where it started to happen?

The second issue is probably related to all your map textures not being in the texture cache yet. Polymer allows you to look at a map from outside sectors; however doing that removes most forms of hidden surface removal and the first time you do it, it has to load all the textures of the map in a single go. Try turning noclip on and going outside the map for a while; after all the textures have finished loading, does it keep hanging on you? It should get better after a while.

User is offline   Spiker 

Ok I've done a lot of research on these 2 issues. Especially the first one. (I've tested about 15 builds). It seems that the last working build in fullscreen 2D mode was dated July 10 2008. All later builds fail. Yet while running this snapshot or any other that was before in fullscreen makes my colours almost instantly fucked up. I remember this happening even many years ago and I reported it but it didn't help. I've had this problem on 3 computers with different OS systems, XP, Vista, Windows 7 so it strnage noone else noticed it.

But I've also dicovered that forcing mapster32 to run in 256 colours only actually made it run and even without these fucked up colours (Even the most recent build). I've managed to run it twice with these settings, the third attempt however failed. (I've always used nVidia Geforce cards but probably it doesn't matter)

About the second issue. It seems that the slowdown won't decrease even if I stay outside for a few minutes. Unless I'm in a regular sector the lag is terrible.

This post has been edited by Spiker: 09 December 2009 - 04:30 AM

User is offline   Forge 

View PostForge, on Dec 1 2009, 11:43 AM, said:

I've upgraded my video card from GeForce 7100(onboard) to GeForce 9800(PCI-E) and the lag seems to be gone. I'll work with mapster for a longer period of time when I get a chance and see if the lag returns. It would initially appear that the lag and lock-ups are being caused by a drain on the system's video memory.

using 1556. The lag still occurs, but only for certain actions and seemingly on random loads. Copying and pasting textures in 3d and moving vertices around in 2d no longer causes lag (or at least I haven't encountered it yet). On random loads: making sprites in 3d mode causes the game to "pause" for about a second or two, then instead of getting one sprite it produces two or three (windowed or full screen makes no difference). No matter how long or short of time the program has been running it starts doing it immediately and continues until the program is shut off. Shutting the mapster32 down and restarting it usually fixes the problem.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostDanM, on Dec 8 2009, 08:01 PM, said:

there is a bit of problem with 1557 & 1558, in rendermode 4 and in-game polymer the sky clips the tops of buildings in the example picture
when looking at it in game, the mouse stops responding untill i get it off the screen. i can move with keys fine.

I'm getting something along these lines as well, happens in game as well as Mapster and in Polymost as well.
When the FPS drops to quite a low level the mouse refuses to respond and so I am forced to use the keys to move players view to somewhere the FPS doesn't kick my ass.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 09 December 2009 - 04:30 AM

User is offline   Stabs 

ahh good its not just me :lol:

User is offline   Forge 

Happens when switching from 2d to 3d or 3d to 2d and when loading a map:

Microsoft Visual C ++ Runtime Library:

Runtime Error!
Program:
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Mapster32 is being used in a windowed mode.

User is offline   Spiker 

The bug in the pic happens when I map in WGR2 and I want to change a palette, this must be some bug with the palette preview. I didn't get it in regular game editing though.

And other ancient bug for me is that when in windowed mode 2d often I get my mapster inactive. Meaning when you map then suddenly the mouse appears outside the window and you have to click it to activate it again. Pretty annoying.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Untitled_1.jpg

Does that only happen with Polymer? Can you describe the exact steps I need to take to get that so I can fix it?

User is offline   Spiker 

Am I the only one that notices bugs in mapster? It's strange that some bugs exist for me since the dos build and noone else notices them and they are not fixed and still present in mapster :lol:

I've done some more tests. Yes, it's only polymer bug. It happens in regular mapping also. All you have to do is to press Alt + P to change palette in 3d mode.

I had that problem with my mapster too... but I got it fixed when I copied my TILESXX.art (the tiles with the position of my custom content)

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I have a bit of a problem in mapster where I'm trying to make a child sector around another child sector. When I do this, the inner child sector goes all wierd and kind of vanishes in straight lines from certain points. Is there a way to create a child sector around another child sector without this happening? btw I'm doing it by creating a sector around the child sector, which starts off as invalid player space then pressing ctrl s in the outer sector to make it valid player space as well, just to be clear (hopefully).

Also, this is the for the first map I'm working on from scratch :lol: (I've only ever edited original Duke 3D levels)

User is offline   Piano Man 

View PostSpiker, on Dec 14 2009, 04:41 AM, said:

And other ancient bug for me is that when in windowed mode 2d often I get my mapster inactive. Meaning when you map then suddenly the mouse appears outside the window and you have to click it to activate it again. Pretty annoying.

I get that all too often - that really PISSES ME OFF... What the hell causes it??? I'm not sure if it's a Polymer thing or not.... but mine continually does that in 2D!!!

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

If memory serves correct, then I would rember reading that this is bad method and that the outer child sector needs to be attached to inner child sector, via a wall.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Now, this might not even be needed, but I have found that this always works.
It uses a few extra walls but it's better to be safer than sorry.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

That really helped! and I can even get rid of the extra walls by joining the sectors with J. Unfortunately I made some really nice lockers with awesome shading on the sprites, but it seems as though the sector the sprites are in is overriding all the sprite shading with it's own shading, even when set to 0. It isn't that necessary, but it'd look a whole lot cooler if there was some way to prevent the sector from influencing the shading of it's sprites. Is there a way?

User is offline   Spiker 

You really have to do something with this poping window that appears in 2d mode on the bottom left side. It's really iritating and useless! My advice would be get rid of it entirely since it only makes mapping more difficult rather than helps. If I need to access this information I press F7 anyway. I think that other mappers would agree with me. Get rid of it or at least make it optional. Just do something with it, thanks!

User is offline   Nexus 

I agree with Spiker.

User is online   Mark 

I agree with Nexus. Who is next?

This post has been edited by Marked: 29 December 2009 - 03:38 PM

User is online   Mark 

Mickey: In the 2D mode I just create a very small sector just large enough to place the sprite into. Then adjust the brightness level of that small sector. The sprite itself is usually larger than the small sector so the brighter sector stays hidden in the game.

This post has been edited by Marked: 29 December 2009 - 03:44 PM

Share this topic:

• 42 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options